Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

What, did you say, to that horse.

"Remember what happened to the last one who wouldn't jump?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
Hey, just for a reminder, this is Conquest Hard, right? Because Jesus, I don't remember Shura having a skill loadout that nasty on my run.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yeah, this is Hard. I'm not good enough for Lunatic despite playing Conquest 5 times.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
Makes perfect sense. Given some of the Lunatic skills i've heard about, that difficulty on Conquest sounds like unending torture.

Inevitable End:suicide:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope Shadows of Valentia turns out well. I'm sure they won't add my amazing idea to give characters with supports a little text bubble over their head when you haven't progressed into the C-Rank at least with them.

Also, that is a bizarre Charlote and Beruka. And how jarring it is to see a fallible royal again with Xander, after having the near-invincible Ryoma.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Lets put this another way. We would not be voting on anything if this was Lunatic Conquest.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

That's a pretty good Charlotte. When I tried to use her she kept only giving 1-2 stats per level and just couldn't catch up, so she instead became the queen of Nohr.

Also, it's not our fault the dancer also happens to be a sociopath. :colbert:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Emperordaein posted:

Makes perfect sense. Given some of the Lunatic skills i've heard about, that difficulty on Conquest sounds like unending torture.

Inevitable End:suicide:

Honestly, I found Conquest lunatic way more reasonable than Awakening lunatic. If nothing else, the early game of Conquest lunatic is nowhere near as awful. (I never did get through Awakening Lunatic, but I did get past the early game. I never really had fun with it, though.)

Although, yeah, holy poo poo Inevitable End. Thankfully that skills only on two maps, but man. Chapter 25 Conquest is probably easily the hardest map in the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I need that money so badly, always need money. You're not seeing it, but I've been buying tonics like crazy to get certain stats about thresholds so they can double or one-shot.

You're right... We lost. So now what? Well?! What are you going to do with me? For what it's worth, I'd much rather live than die.
Don't move a muscle. If you even breathe wrong, we shall end you. Stay in the cabin until my sister here decides what to do with you.
Yeah, sure, whatever. Why not just execute me here and now? As though I could expect anything else from Nohrian royals.

Shura, what the hell are you doing out here.

You may be dressed as a Nohrian pirate but...I don't understand.
Why would you board a ship for Hoshido when our country is at war with them? It doesn't make any sense. Can you explain?
Hmph. Like a dirty thief needs a reason to do what he does best. He and his men likely just hopped aboard without thinking things through. Trying to reason with him is a waste of time, Azura.

Man, it's really weird how much earlier some of the sub-plots start in Conquest.

So you're the one...
You know who I am? How?
No more games. Tell me what you know, or we shall kill you and be done with it. How do you know who I am?

Goddamn, girl. You're certainly a bit more bloodthirsty on this route.

I know...because...

Wh-what?!

So that's the explanation on how Azura came to be in Hoshido. I dunno why that info is only on Conquest, but considering how absolutely perfect Hoshido was in Birthright, not surprised.

I led him through the secret tunnel that runs beneath Castle Krakenburg.
But you're Nohrian yourself, aren't you? How could you do such a thing?
I am no Nohrian, but a ninja from Kohga, a land that exists only in memory now. Long ago, my clan proudly served the Hoshidan royalty. Those days were long past, but I still felt I should help avenge their loss.

Heh, I don't think Yukimura even realized he had enlisted a genuine ninja from Kohga.
I recall learning of the destruction of Kohga by the neighboring Mokushu. Rumor has it all who lived there were brutally killed... I'm surprised you were able to escape. Is that why you became a thief?
After Kohga fell, I was chased from home and separated from the other survivors. I...had no choice. I was a child at the time. It was either steal or die. I chose to steal.

Why didn't you mention you were a pirate in Birthright. That's so much better than "I was a ninja all along! Kinda!"

And now that war is upon us, you wish to return home to exact your revenge?
Yep, spot on.
A former Hoshidan ninja, seeking revenge for his massacred people...

Eh...define "reasonable"

My name is Shura. Have mercy and spare my life, and I swear you won't regret it. I promise to serve and protect Lady Azura and to help you however I can. I'm not crazy about the Hoshidans, and I feel bad for helping kidnap your princess.

You're a liar on the first one. Or you lied in Birthright.

So first you stole from us, but now you want to be our ally?
Yeah, sorry about that stealing business. Think of it as a showcase of my skills! Come on, whaddya say? Wouldn't hurt to have somebody like me around, right?!

You just sound desperate now. And we already have enough psycho thieves that aren't trustworthy.

For all we know, he's a Hoshidan spy. He could warn them we're coming. Hate to say it, but if we don't kill him now, it could endanger us all.
I agree, sweet sister. No matter his reasons, he tried to hurt us. There's no way to ensure he won't betray us to those nasty Hoshidans.
I'd never stop worrying about you if that mongrel was on the loose!
Silence. That choice is not ours to make. Are we going to kill Shura or let him go?

I forgot Corrine is actually the leader of this operation. Well, she can beat Xander 1-on-1 now so I guess it technically works out.

Oh god, it's an actual choice. So here's a decision. Killing Shura gives you boots, which is +1 movement as a reminder for Fates.

Recruiting Shura means getting a powerful pre-promote

Just nerf down the HP to 31 as his other stats are the same. Consider that Shura was pretty good in Birthright, a route full of amazing units and he came much later. That resistance alone is absurd.

Choose.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12919500

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I "love" how this is the one choice conquest offers.

Just "Hey, wanna kill a guy for his boots? You can do that. Can't influence the plot in any other way, that was all marketing bullshit, but Corrin will randomly kill this one guy who's more than willing to join for... reasons. Despite never killing anyone on other missions."

This game... it is not well written.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So a choice between a pre-promote that we'll probably never use, or a stat booster that will inevitably end up on a unit that we'll end up perma-benching.

Tough call. :v:

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
I'm thinking Corrine should kill a guy for their boots. And then continue to go barefoot. Cause I doubt they'd make a permanent model change of them wearing boots if they use them. As amusing as that would be.

Also, played Conquest, didn't kill him, kind of curious how they handle that whole thing. Besides poorly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Also another thing I forgot, Shura comes with a killer bow so even if he gets benched because I know he's going to get benched, it's not a total loss.

Here's Niles in comparison

He'll be faster and have slightly higher magic than Shura, but way worse skill and bulk. But it's not like having two Adventurers is a bad thing since both Felicia and Jakob are gone as anti-mage units.

chiasaur11 posted:

I "love" how this is the one choice conquest offers.

Just "Hey, wanna kill a guy for his boots? You can do that. Can't influence the plot in any other way, that was all marketing bullshit, but Corrin will randomly kill this one guy who's more than willing to join for... reasons. Despite never killing anyone on other missions."

This game... it is not well written.

I am a bit numb since the last LP I completed was Valkyria Chronicles 2, in which the main character shot himself in the torso to help his friend who's afraid of blood

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I vote to kill Shura if only to make sure there's at least a single confirmed kill in all of Conquest

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Blue Labrador posted:

I vote to kill Shura if only to make sure there's at least a single confirmed kill in all of Conquest

Nah we slaughtered Scarlet offscreen

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Shura's a pretty good unit but he's not Boots good and Niles handles his utility well enough. He's pretty much always worth killing from an optimal point of view.

Voted not to kill him.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

LEGO Genetics posted:

Nah we slaughtered Scarlet offscreen

Also Orochi and Reina. And all those weird ghost things when we chased Azura into that plot hole and found Gunter.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I voted to keep shura but also

You should name one of Odin's tomes "Letter Twelve" or something.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I am pathologically incapable of using items like boots, so I voted for the guy.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Space Bat posted:

I'm curious now. What ruleset are you using?

We seem to be using a homebrew ruleset designed to largely mimic the GBA games; the GM tries to warn us when the rules change so we can't call foul (he is, to a degree, making it up as we go), and he answers mechanical questions fairly promptly (for example, I asked about Swordreaver vs. Axereaver once and got an official ruling pretty quickly).

Anyway, voted for Shura, because frankly our current team is disappointing even by "Hoshido units are better" standards and someone needs to pick up the slack. Yes, this means that if I have my way then Shura will be deployed at least once.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i didn't kill shura and used him for all of one mission, what a waste

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
If you haven't recruited everyone or anyone dies, you're playing Fire Emblem Wrong™.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Corrine will obviously attempt to SPARE everyone.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Due to overwhelming numbers, Shura will live. This is unexpected, considering how long he lasted in Birthright.

And maybe he is. But in my heart, I feel that we can trust him. I will allow him to join our cause.
Y-you mean it?! Thank you, milady!
After all you've been through, Shura, I feel you're long overdue for some mercy.
But know that if you place even one toe out of line, I will kill you myself.
No one endangers my family. Got it?

That's a funny joke, Corrine.

Oh wait, you're serious.

Thank you, Lady Corrine. My life is yours now.
*sigh* Oh, Corrine. You're much too soft. Do recall that this is war.
That's part of why we love you so much, dear Sister, but... I hope that kindness of yours never comes back to haunt you.
If that is your decision, then we shall respect it. I will make sure word of this never reaches Father. If he knew you intended to make an ally out of one of Azura's kidnappers...

It's very important to gain the trust of a man that literally have attempted double-digit murder attempts in a span of...at least 2 months?

I know... Thank you, Xander. I don't know what I'd do without you.
You'll never have to find out, little princess.

If Corrine kills Shura

You're right... He's too dangerous to take with us. I take no pleasure in this decision, but I can't endanger my family.
Your time is at an end, Shura. I'm sorry.
HUH?!
I know it's not easy, but you made the right decision.
I'll feel much safer now. That's my good little Corrine!
Take heart, Corrine. You likely saved our lives this day. We all respect your decision to protect your loved ones at any cost. You've grown so much while I was away... Making rational choices for the greater good is what being a princess is all about.
I shall send a messenger to Father at once. He will be proud to learn that you brought one of Azura's kidnappers to justice.
I know Father can be...difficult. But this is sure to earn you his favor.

"Difficult"

Thanks, Xander. I don't know what I would do without you.
I suppose I'm getting what I deserve. Just make it quick.
... The path I walk...is so cold. Please...let this war end soon.

Not killing Shura makes the Nohr family disappointed. Killing him makes them happy. Also Elise is nowhere because no one's told her it's an actual war yet.

Class Overview

Adventurer

Pair-up Bonus: +4 SPD, +2 RES, +1 MOV
Weapon rank: Bows (A), Staves (B)

Skills: (lvl 5) Lucky Seven-Hit rate and Avoid +20 for the first seven Turns
(lvl 15) Pass-User can pass through tiles occupied by enemy units

Adventurer is a bigger Outlaw with more added utility in being able to heal. And Lucky Seven is a really powerful skill when most of the tough fighting is in the first 7 turns. However, Pass is kinda bad so it's probably a good idea to switch to Bow Knight or something else once you learn Lucky Seven. Though the class does have high base magic, so the Shining Bow is more viable.

Nohr Noble

Pair-up Bonus: +2 STR/MAG/RES, +1 SKL/SPD
Weapon rank: Swords (A), Tomes (B), Dragonstone (A)

Skills: (lvl 5) Draconic Hex-After battle, enemy’s stats -4
(lvl 15) Nohrian Trust-User shares their support unit’s battle skills

Corrine is now the semi-Oboro of the group, debuffing enemies like crazy if they survive. Nohrian Trust is decent but situational, since battle activation abilities in Fates are really nerfed.

Tae fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 10, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I like how Shura's reaction is almost the devs there. Hes just so astounded that you turned down an obvious recruitment.

Vvvvvvv
Yeah but the game doesnt tell you you get the boots in advance. The stated choice is "recruit this guy y/n?"

I mean if it told you it was his life or boots the confusion wouldnt make sense at all

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 8, 2017

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

I like how Shura's reaction is almost the devs there. Hes just so astounded that you turned down an obvious recruitment.

But boots, though. Seriously, how many people in your army in Conquest have a full set of clothing? Can you really say one of them wouldn't kill someone for some shoes?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argent Cinereus posted:

But boots, though. Seriously, how many people in your army in Conquest have a full set of clothing? Can you really say one of them wouldn't kill someone for some shoes?

Severa has a full set, and is at least half Ylissean besides, a country known (at least in the modern era) for not being full of absolute shits.

I'm sure that she'd only kill someone for really nice shoes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
As previously established, everyone in FATES loves being acrobatic to the extreme. They don't need plain ol' walking boots, or even heavy duty hiking boots.

They need spring shoes. Or Air Jordans.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

chiasaur11 posted:

Severa has a full set, and is at least half Ylissean besides, a country known (at least in the modern era) for not being full of absolute shits.

I'm sure that she'd only kill someone for really nice shoes.

"Ohhh god huuuurrggh"
"What the hell"
"This isnt ylissia"
"No its n-oh god wHAT ARE THOSE THINGS ON THE ENDS OF OUR LEGS"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Time to upgrade the staff shop. Physic staves are now available, as well as another Freeze staff. Also buyable for the first time are an Enfeeble and Entrap stave.

And despite Felicia's discount, I'm down to 5690 gold without buying any Master Seals. Money is so drat tight.

"I'll write a vague description of the set-up of the mission!"

"Okay, I'll write DEN OF BETRAYAL cause that's what happens!"

"....."

Not enough Hoshido landscape battles in Birthright. It's very odd that a route to "change from within" gets to do more traveling to various locations than Birthright. For a country with literally no sunlight and their people literally living in the sewers, Nohr has some beefy resources.

Welcome, Lady Corrine! We have been waiting for you.
You have?
Certainly. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Kotaro, the daimyo of Mokushu.

I remember you and your map.

Milady? Is something amiss?
Pardon me, I was just reflecting on our journey here. It was quite eventful. Mokushu lies within Hoshido's territory does it not? Are your certain your people are prepared to ally with Nohr?
Without a doubt, milady. Our people have long been on good terms with Nohr. We always knew we would side with your kingdom when war inevitably broke out.
I see. Thank you for your loyalty.
Sorry to rush you after such a long journey, but I'd like to show you something. It's the path you'll be using to sneak into Hoshido. This way, milady.

Oh right, this is an infiltration group. So we're not sometimes an army with thousands of troops like Birthright flip flopped on.

Thank you, Kotaro. We appreciate all the help we can get.
No problem at all. I would normally invite you back to my castle to rest... But I'm sure you must be in a hurry. Do let me know if there's anything else I can do.
The sentiment is appreciated, but you've already done your fair share.

Calm yourself, man! You're in the presence of Lady Corrine. Show some respect.
M-my apologies, sir. But please, I must have your attention! Hoshidan ninja have marched into Mokushu, milord! Our forces are fighting them even now in the forest cave. It's not going well...
Hoshidan ninja?! Dammit, why now?

If I'm assuming correctly, Kagero is still trapped within Mokushu since Corrine isn't there to rescue her.

Please, you must send reinforcements right away!
Bah! Very well. I'll figure something out. You are dismissed.

That's a strange thing to ask about people who are willing to betray their neighbors right now.

It has been this way ever since the war escalated. Since then, Hoshidan forces have tries to enter our land with increasing frequency. Though we defend our territory, we have never instigated an attack on Hoshido. These attacks are unprovoked, but there's little we can do to stop them.
I thought Hoshido valued peace... Are they punishing you for your loyalty to Nohr?

In fact...our reserves are nearly depleted at this point.
Lady Corrine...it pains me dearly to ask a favor of you at a time like this. But for my people, I must. If there's any way you could lend us a hand...
So be it. After all, your people are suffering because of their allegiance to Nohr. As such, the Nohrian army shall aid your cause. Let's go, before it's too late.
Thank you, milady! The people of Mokushu are forever in your debt!

*Much time passes as the group fights off the ninjas*

*Azura and Kaze arrive*

You cleared the what now? YOU?

*Camilla, Leo, and Elise appear*

Camilla and Leo really showed them what's what, heehee!
Good work everyone. We've basically been doing all the fighting so far...
Is Mokushu really this short on soldiers? Perhaps we should ask Father to send them some guards...
Lady Corrine, look out!
Huh?!

*A red ninja appears*

What kind of a coward would take aim at Lady Corrine when she isn't looking?
What?! It can't be...

Hello, Brother.
The fates are cruel, are they not? But I do not wish to battle my twin again.
Agreed. It pains me to stand opposite you in battle, Brother.
...Move along, Kaze. For both of our sakes. My business is with the daimyo, not you.

Oh, I guess he didn't get the memo that we've been killing his guys.

Really, Kaze?

You don't know what you're saying Kaze! Siding with Nohr is bad enough... But to protect that devil, Kotaro?! I won't allow it!
Why? Has he wronged you somehow?
Fool! That man...that monster...he killed our father!

Kagero, did you seriously get caught again? Is your destiny just to get caught by Mokoshu by all routes or something?

Do you really intend to align yourself with such a dishonorable and despicable man?!
He did what?! Kagero...

*Kotaro appears*

Nicely done, Lady Corrine. You are as skilled as the rumors imply.
Kotaro... We need to talk.
Oh no, please don't let me interrupt. Kill him so we can end this battle.
Silence, Kotaro. I need to ask you something.

I wish she was a little less blunt because she ain't getting a straight answer like that.

What?! Of course not, milady! That man is telling stories.
My word is my honor, you coward! I swear, I will kill you myself before the day is done!
Calm yourself, Brother.

She should've started with something like that.

My jail cells? Do you not trust me, milady?
If you have done nothing wrong, my request shouldn't be a problem. As an ally of Nohr, I demand you prove the integrity of your word.
Lady Corrine! ...
Hmph. You know, for a mutt, you sure are full of yourself.
Kotaro!

A true Nohrian princess would praise me for being so cunning, not threaten me. This is war! Lying and using people is par for the course!

I mean, he's not wrong. Garon would love Kotaro.

You're wrong, Kotaro. That is not how we do things any longer.
Is that so? Tell it to King Garon, you filthy mutt. When Nohr prevails, he has promised me a huge piece of land to expand my kingdom. No one will get in the way of Mokushu's future glory—not even a Nohrian princess!

Still, I won't allow this to go any further. I refuse to accept your methods. I shall correct your behavior now and forever, by force if necessary.
P-Prince Xander?! No! I won't let this happen...

*Enemy reinforcements appear*

Mokushujin soldiers?!
We came to your aid because you said you were low on troops. So that was a lie too?

The liar lied. How are you still new to this.

We'll tell King Garon his darling children died fighting the Hoshidans, heh heh. If you had just kept your mouths shut, you could have lived. Such a shame. Instead you will all be sacrifices on the altar of my grand ambition!
Everyone! Prepare for battle!

Lots of caltraps, lots of ninjas. Same ole Mokoshu. One relief is that I have a pretty sizable deployment team again.

Stats: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147527

Bench 3: http://www.strawpoll.me/12925964

Implementing the perma-spot clause. Least voted character stays on forever.

Tae fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 9, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This map kicked my rear end repeatedly.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
This map taught me that if you have a problem that can be solved by copious use of Xander, then you should apply some Xander to it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
If you don't care about how long you take, this map isn't hard. It just takes forever.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This map took me quite a while.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
Welcome to Ninja Hell. One of the most complex, difficult, and time consuming maps in the game.

Also, it always gets me how you still wind up fighting the same boss in Birthright, instead of teaming up for him as a route change. Instead, the same drat plot is recycled again.

This will not be the last time they recycle plot points and scenes in the other routes

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I like this Mokushu map a bit more than the one in Birthright. You don't get a lot of indoor/cave/building/castle maps in Fates (seriously, 90% of both the story and DLC maps in the game are outdoor maps), so this is a nice little refresher from the norm. The caltrops still suck rear end, but at least you can see them right away and not have them surprise you if you end your turn on a caltrop trap tile.

Then again, both maps feature a solid nuclear option (Takumi in Birthright, Xander in Conquest) that can make things go much smoother and reduce headaches, so it's not too bad overall.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh huh. I thought you'd at least start out surrounded or something.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Welcome to Ninja Caltrop Hell. Enjoy your stay.

There were a few typos this update - Kotaro says "mimilady" a couple times, you spell it Kotoro a couple times. There's also "Sorry to rush you after such long journey", missing the a, and an "I fact" instead of in.

Xander makes this level far, far easier, though unlike Takumi on the Birthright Mokushu level he's got weapon triangle disadvantage instead, but still. Also my last few playthroughs have been stupid challenge or gimmick runs and I haven't used Xander. Without him, this can get ugly.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

This map :gonk:

I didn't think to use Xander that specific way. (though if I knew about it, I probably wouldn't have done it still) This map took forever and I felt drained after beating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This was another map I just relied on Phoenix mode to carry me through.

• Locked thread