Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
This is having the effect on me some games have where I almost want it to end or to start over because of how much I know now, and how much better I could do things next time around. I'm almost tempted to have play a second save at the same time as this game but I know there's no way I'd be able to wrap my head around where I've been and what I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Does anyone know what the gently caress the fabricator is saying when you create something?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

GET MY BELT SON posted:

Does anyone know what the gently caress the fabricator is saying when you create something?

WE SHALL BECOME GODS! WE SHALL BECOME GODS! WE SHALL BECOME GODS!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

This cannot continue! This cannot continue! This cannot continue! This cannot continue!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

This cannot continue! This cannot continue! This cannot continue! This cannot continue!

That's what the recycler says that when it realizes what everyone is doing. Creating something from nothing?!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

So I see this is being billed as a horror game, but what I'm hearing (and seeing from earlygame streams) is that it isn't really very scary; mimics are kind of cute, even.

However, I'm a huge baby about horror, and on literal doctor's orders to avoid anything excessively stressful besides, so how does this game rate re: scariness/stressfulness, notably risk of jumpscares etc.? I'm not suuuuper keen on the idea of something chasing me around the game, but the gameplay looks fun as hell and I loved the Deus Ex games.

It's literally about as scary to me as a Metroid game. Once you plug in to that mentality the mimics are just Space Pirates or little Metroids bobbing around.

Also something that isn't getting enough love - I am stupid happy with the SS2/RE4 inventory system. I love that my character doesn't just jam chips into his fuckin' face and his health doesn't just magically come back by me hiding in a corner for a few seconds.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just got the Necropsy ability and am now obsessively retracing my steps all the way back to the beginning of the game. And then I get mad when a corpse that definitely should be there has despawned :mad:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I just reached Life Support deck and I'm not sure how far I am in the game but I'm starting to worry I'm getting close to the end. Is there any big Point of No Return I should watch out for with regards to side quests?

Also, I'm trying to avoid killing any humans on this run. Is there a way to complete the Fake Cook revenge mission without breaking that?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I feel moronic that I didn't know how the gently caress the medbay robot dispensers worked until after I got Typhon powers. Literally never saw the dispense button and I guess that's why I had to eat through food and medkits like crazy.

In other news I accidentally went in another direction in the zero-g tunnels and ended up battling my way to an air filtration system, which I fixed, and nothing really happened. So someone up there now has free air conditioning lol. I did however get an extremely good fabrication blueprint around there so it was worth it. Not sure if the filtration thing will end up being a sequence break later on.

Whoever said this felt like a 3D Metroid---that's starting to feel spot-on.

Flubby posted:

This is having the effect on me some games have where I almost want it to end or to start over because of how much I know now, and how much better I could do things next time around. I'm almost tempted to have play a second save at the same time as this game but I know there's no way I'd be able to wrap my head around where I've been and what I'm doing.

Brah I had the exact same thought with BOTH Dishonored games. The second playthrough for both of them was the real fun wherein the game environment was my plaything due to how much I learned. I think it's actually to Arkane's credit for developing games where you really research and learn what works best for yourself, and then you're better equipped for a more fun, experimental route. It helps immensely that both Prey and Dishonored 1/2 lend themselves to repeat playthroughs due to offering hugely different ways to invest in your skill and ability trees.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 8, 2017

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

is there a neuromod fabrication blueprint or a qcell fabrication blueprint anywhere? I just got the general access card and the lobby elevators are working agian

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The first one is on the main path forward. Not sure about Qcells.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I would kill to find the QCell ammo blueprint. I love that gun, but the ammo is so scarce otherwise.

Also the IT Closet key. Where you at key.

Also the Crew Quarters key.

I know what's going on now. I've pieced together to core plot, which has led to me ignoring the main quest plot points. Who cares. I'm going to head down to Cargo Bay now to try and talk to the survivors down there, since it seems like it might be a hub of sorts. That's a long way down though. Kind of terrified of jumping through two other zones.

Sick Ness Monster
Dec 25, 2016

Crowetron posted:

I just reached Life Support deck and I'm not sure how far I am in the game but I'm starting to worry I'm getting close to the end. Is there any big Point of No Return I should watch out for with regards to side quests?

Also, I'm trying to avoid killing any humans on this run. Is there a way to complete the Fake Cook revenge mission without breaking that?

I was worried about that mission too, so I went back to that area to see if there was some other way to deal with him. I ended up running into a Thermal Phantom, who accidentally roasted him with one of its area attacks. Problem solved, my hands remained clean!

Edit: Finished the game now, got the achievement.

Sick Ness Monster fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 8, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I found a Qcell ammo blueprint about halfway through the story line

Or do the Blackbox quest

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Crowetron posted:

There are two 'points of no return' that drastically alter enemies / level structure. The first is after you reset the reactor and before you go talk to Alex in his house in the Arboretum, as talking to him will spawn all the security bots and start the hostile takeover segment. I highly recommend doing all the exploring you've been putting off now, since resetting the reactor unlocks a lot of stuff and then go up there. The second is when you go up to Alex's place to fend off the mercenary who's trying to get into his saferoom, and Cthulhu comes and fucks stuff up. I was sorta rushing the main story when I got to the reactor reset thing, so I left quite a bit of the station unexplored. Going to take it quite a bit more slowly this second round.

e2. Ya know, the final boss of the game is really Cthulhu personified.

e. probably too many spoiler tags but w/e

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 8, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I am in the crew quarters and I am Trying to do the treasure hunt quest.

I don't want to know specifics but I cannot find Danielle Sho's treasure map. Is it something I can find if I just keep looking better or will it happen sometime in the future in a different area of the station?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Thinking of running my 100% run on Nightmare. Has anyone had experience with it, and if so how utterly brutal is it? I would like a lot more challenge this time around but I want to stream it so I don't want to die sixty times to every spook.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ambaire posted:

e. probably too many spoiler tags but w/e

Thanks, I'll watch out for those

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 8, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Hooray got the Do No Harm achievement on my first try

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Thinking of running my 100% run on Nightmare. Has anyone had experience with it, and if so how utterly brutal is it? I would like a lot more challenge this time around but I want to stream it so I don't want to die sixty times to every spook.

i saw cohh carnage do it a bit this morning and it didnt look that hard. Mimics will kill you. but they kill me cause on a ps4 and lmao @ aiming on a controller. You can see it in his twitch archives here, https://www.twitch.tv/videos/140863569

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Does the pre-order Shotgun have any special properties that make it better than the normal ones?

I just bought the game today and Steam gave me the pre-order bonus for some reason...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ramadu posted:

i saw cohh carnage do it a bit this morning and it didnt look that hard. Mimics will kill you. but they kill me cause on a ps4 and lmao @ aiming on a controller. You can see it in his twitch archives here, https://www.twitch.tv/videos/140863569

Cheers, as long as it isn't making you Dark Souls your way through it I'm cool.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

Does the pre-order Shotgun have any special properties that make it better than the normal ones?

I just bought the game today and Steam gave me the pre-order bonus for some reason...

It's your moms old skeet shooting gun!

( no otherwise, it's just a family gun which makes me like it. )

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

If I have one regret about my playthrough so far, it is spending like 4 hours faffing about the lobby and machine shop areas when I should have followed the main quest and got the psychoscope a lot sooner, it opens up a ton of skills that would've allowed me to get fight/navigate through a lot of that early stuff a lot quicker.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
oh god the nightmare just one shot me from 74 health and full suit :commissar: I thought it could only show up when I didn't take the high-level mods!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
For those who have finished the game: Are there any hints or ties to the original game? Assuming the game is a sequel and not a reboot I mean.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I thought someone said there's new game+? I can't find it

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Rookersh posted:

It's your moms old skeet shooting gun!

( no otherwise, it's just a family gun which makes me like it. )

Sweet, I'll leave it alone then. I always hate using preorder weapons.

I just started, obviously. Playing on Hard. I tried to do a couple of the optional objectives, like go to the trauma center, and got absolutely SMOKED. I guess I should focus on the main narrative for a bit, eh?

I'm sitting on a pile of neuromods as well, only put 1 point in Leverage. Any "must-haves" I should be leveling? Hacking?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Anti-Hero posted:

Sweet, I'll leave it alone then. I always hate using preorder weapons.

I just started, obviously. Playing on Hard. I tried to do a couple of the optional objectives, like go to the trauma center, and got absolutely SMOKED. I guess I should focus on the main narrative for a bit, eh?

I'm sitting on a pile of neuromods as well, only put 1 point in Leverage. Any "must-haves" I should be leveling? Hacking?

The ones that make medikits more effective are very important for early survivability. I think they heal like 30 points by default which is nothing on hard.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Rookersh posted:

I would kill to find the QCell ammo blueprint. I love that gun, but the ammo is so scarce otherwise.

There is one locked in a lvl.4 cargo container near the entrance to the shuttle bay and cargo bay in G.U.T.S

Rookersh posted:

Also the IT Closet key. Where you at key.

I too would like to know where this key is.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 8, 2017

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The ones that make medikits more effective are very important for early survivability. I think they heal like 30 points by default which is nothing on hard.

Thanks, done.

Is Necropsy worth spending points on in the early game?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Necropsy is not worth it because Exotic materials are fairly common

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Lakbay posted:

Necropsy is not worth it because Exotic materials are fairly common

So it just lets you loot those tumors, which are just additional sources of Exotic material?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I disagree. I've easily gotten more neuromods from it than I spent on it. It's a really cheap investment for a good return if you plan on churning out more mods.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Anti-Hero posted:

Thanks, done.

Is Necropsy worth spending points on in the early game?

Necropsy and the +20% to recycler yield are very good economy upgrades and will pay themselves off in time. In my experiences repair > hacking, although having at least something in both is good (I recommend at least level 2 in both).

Weaponsmithing is cool, but nothing that you need right at the start.

Importantly, suit upgrades in the engineer path allow you install more suit mods, but they also give you more inventory space. Get one of these if you find yourself running out of room (you will).

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Thanks.

One last stupid question - I presume the "named" typhons are humans, and would count against this game's Pacifist achievement?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
No I just got the Pacifist achievement and I killed a bunch of Named typhons

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
I wasn't following this game, so when it came out a few days ago I was surprised to hear the System Shock comparisons. 6 hours in, can't say I disagree. Very happy this game wasn't some stupid action FPS, because it would have been lost in the shuffle. This game, however, has word of mouth potential. I've already convinced a couple of friends to pick it up.

For $36.99 @ CDKeys, it's a steal.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Well 3 hours in and I'm having a blast. Thread title is appropriate, as I'm sure everyone is saying.

I will say that holy poo poo Prey you need to ease up on the creepy music when doing literally anything. I do not need that high pitched tension tone when I am walking down an empty corridor. I cut the music volume in half after only an hour.

I do have one question about choices across the whole game, if someone could confirm with a yes/no: I just unlocked the first Typhon skills and January took a minute to warn me of possible bad side effects including things like turning turrets hostile and whatnot. Mechanical effects aside, are there plot changes to going deep into the Typhon pools? Does it affect the ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Meiteron posted:

Well 3 hours in and I'm having a blast. Thread title is appropriate, as I'm sure everyone is saying.

I will say that holy poo poo Prey you need to ease up on the creepy music when doing literally anything. I do not need that high pitched tension tone when I am walking down an empty corridor. I cut the music volume in half after only an hour.

I do have one question about choices across the whole game, if someone could confirm with a yes/no: I just unlocked the first Typhon skills and January took a minute to warn me of possible bad side effects including things like turning turrets hostile and whatnot. Mechanical effects aside, are there plot changes to going deep into the Typhon pools? Does it affect the ending?

No. it does not. It affects other things.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 8, 2017