Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Separate post for spoiler territory.

Post credit talk: What do you think we are? Body morgan with all those typhoon mods, a clone with composite memories, or a hybrid of some such?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

incoherent posted:

Post credit talk: What do you think we are? Body morgan with all those typhoon mods, a clone with composite memories, or a hybrid of some such?

i kinda of assume you are typhon morgan or the typhon that was created by absorbing him. i like to think that the all the station stuff happend in some fashion because it all being fake is dumb as gently caress.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Meiteron posted:

Well 3 hours in and I'm having a blast. Thread title is appropriate, as I'm sure everyone is saying.

I will say that holy poo poo Prey you need to ease up on the creepy music when doing literally anything. I do not need that high pitched tension tone when I am walking down an empty corridor. I cut the music volume in half after only an hour.

I do have one question about choices across the whole game, if someone could confirm with a yes/no: I just unlocked the first Typhon skills and January took a minute to warn me of possible bad side effects including things like turning turrets hostile and whatnot. Mechanical effects aside, are there plot changes to going deep into the Typhon pools? Does it affect the ending?

In a minor way, yes, but it isn't going to be the sole reason why you get a different ending.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

incoherent posted:

Alex mentions injecting more "Morgan line cells" so I'm assuming you're Typon material basically molded around Morgan's DNA to give yourself shape (hence why your arm becomes human when you give Alex the handshake) combined with his memories being fed into whatever passes for a Typon brain during the simulation. I'm hoping you aren't just body morgan that got taken over or something, would be cool to actually meet the 'real' Morgan in the inevitable sequel.

I think the little flashes you get that are I guess your Typhon self breaking through telling you to kill them all/they're lying to you are really dumb in retrospect, because Alex and Morgan's research says that the Typon kill indiscriminately because they literally cannot empathize with other beings and thus cannot comprehend what they're doing as bad, so why would the Typhon be actively like "MURDER THEM ALL"? I dunno, it seems to make them more inherently sinister which is lame as gently caress to me.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
So this game is pretty freaking awesome.

Though I'm calling the ending right now: (haven't read any of the redacted stuff in this thread)

You are a typhon they are teaching to be human. Or something like that. Which honestly would be kind of disappointing because it's kinda of cliche at this point.

Also any lines over the radio are super quiet for me. Is this an audio balance thing with my setup?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

What happens if you do no neuromods at all?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Alex mentions injecting more "Morgan line cells" so I'm assuming you're Typon material basically molded around Morgan's DNA to give yourself shape (hence why your arm becomes human when you give Alex the handshake) combined with his memories being fed into whatever passes for a Typon brain during the simulation. I'm hoping you aren't just body morgan that got taken over or something, would be cool to actually meet the 'real' Morgan in the inevitable sequel.

I think the little flashes you get that are I guess your Typhon self breaking through telling you to kill them all/they're lying to you are really dumb in retrospect, because Alex and Morgan's research says that the Typon kill indiscriminately because they literally cannot empathize with other beings and thus cannot comprehend what they're doing as bad, so why would the Typhon be actively like "MURDER THEM ALL"? I dunno, it seems to make them more inherently sinister which is lame as gently caress to me.

I would agree that you are a captured Typhon being shot up with Morgan cells, hence the whole "we put us into you" line. It's still incredibly dumb to have the whole "it was all a simulation" poo poo, but if we look at it analytically it's the only thing that makes sense. As for the little flashes, I guess they are just a verbalization of the primal emotions that you are supposed to be feeling? That being said, a Typhon wouldn't have any concept of what a "lie" is, so it's still dumb.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Is there more than one Nightmare in the game? Because mine followed me into an area when I don't think it could stand up, so it hunched over in a corner and let me unload my shotgun into it without resistance until it died.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Is there more than one Nightmare in the game? Because mine followed me into an area when I don't think it could stand up, so it hunched over in a corner and let me unload my shotgun into it without resistance until it died.

Several. They're manifestations of the Typhon that will appear or be waiting for you at points in the game. I never got around to launching the satellite to block them but if you were to do a all Typhon run, you'd get hammered with them when you upgraded.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Nightmare are actually chumps if you have some decent Psionics. I killed three by just jump jetting around like a loon running around while psychoshocking it for 1/5th of its HP periodically. They don't drop anything really good though. RIP.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

if you like crazy sequence breaking, DraQu has a 44:06 speedrun up

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

way to trivialize 31 hours of playthrough.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
flying enemies fall when GLOOd and fall damage is a thing for them. killed a Technopath with gravity.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

Watching him suck up invisible walls via GLOO + Recycler charges is really funny to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Has anyone figured out a way to turn off the annoying vignette that shows up whenever you're in combat yet? It looks like crap and makes the game harder to see for no real reason.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thats fear. You need to drink booze or buff against it with mods.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are Weavers the only thing that can cause that? I don't think I ever saw that status effect otherwise.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

incoherent posted:

Thats fear. You need to drink booze or buff against it with mods.

Yes. How do I turn it off so it does not appear in the game at all, is what I am asking. I will yank this videogame apart and strip out all the vignette effects until I find the right one if I have to.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are Weavers the only thing that can cause that? I don't think I ever saw that status effect otherwise.

Shows up in pretty much every fight with more than one enemy for me, especially when there are mimics involved. It's pretty obnoxious.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

That speed run was real neat.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Yes. How do I turn it off so it does not appear in the game at all, is what I am asking. I will yank this videogame apart and strip out all the vignette effects until I find the right one if I have to.

Shows up in pretty much every fight with more than one enemy for me, especially when there are mimics involved. It's pretty obnoxious.

The mod is out there, and I got it really early in the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Stop being such a wimp, Yu, it's just a bunch of goopy monsters from space-hell made out of science and nightmares that want to assimilate your fluid-drained corpse. Nothing to be upset about.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Not to just throw in more praise, but I bought the game after reading this thread & it's everything I wanted and expected BioShock to be before it actually came out.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
is there a way to get the power back on in hardware labs after rebooting the reactor? because the only way I see to complete a couple quests now is to get leverage 3 to move some doors.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fairly spoiler-y

If I'm understanding correctly, Transtar brought up 'volunteers' from Earth and had mimics kill them so they would multiply, then harvested the mimics for the exotic material needed to make neuromods for sale.
Why not feed the mimics on animals, or bring up cadavers from earth and have the Weaver turn them into Phantoms?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm still early in the game after finishing off Hardware Labs:

I have heard there is a double jump. Is there a way to get it early? I've already dumped a bunch of neuromods into the superhigh jump because it seemed neat.

Running the hell away from enemies and Mario-jumping and gliding actually seems viable in some places - the only downside is that there's a lot of places where you want to search and take your time and read emails and you can't do that with baddies hanging around.

I have the goomba-stomp chip though so I'm curious to see how much damage that does and how viable it is... and whether I take fall damage if I use it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

bewilderment posted:

I have heard there is a double jump. Is there a way to get it early?

Sort of. In theory.

It's on a corpse outside the station, which you could reach from the first time you space walk. But finding it without a quest-pointer would be really difficult.
You can get the quest pointer once you reach Deep Storage.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Watching him suck up invisible walls via GLOO + Recycler charges is really funny to me.

The game has been out for three days, how do people discover this poo poo in such a tiny amount of time?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Fairly spoiler-y

If I'm understanding correctly, Transtar brought up 'volunteers' from Earth and had mimics kill them so they would multiply, then harvested the mimics for the exotic material needed to make neuromods for sale.
Why not feed the mimics on animals, or bring up cadavers from earth and have the Weaver turn them into Phantoms?

Typhons don't consume people's bodies, that's just a weird byproduct. They consume and metabolize consciousness, thus requiring living humans.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The game has been out for three days, how do people discover this poo poo in such a tiny amount of time?

Lots of it is that if its made with the same engine as an older game the same exploits will work similarly.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

DreamShipWrecked posted:

To be fair, it uses CryEngine & has a lot of it's same quirks with regards to physics, movement, & walls sometimes just being suggestions.

e:f;b

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Odd. Maybe my game was bugged or something because I literally never encountered it outside fights involving Weavers. And even then it was like three times.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Odd. Maybe my game was bugged or something because I literally never encountered it outside fights involving Weavers. And even then it was like three times.

It might depend on difficulty and also be a little randomised. I had my screen suddenly go high-contrast just from a mimic jumping at my face.

I wish the hitbox on the wrench was a bit more generous - I'm playing with a steam controller via steam link because my girlfriend enjoys watching me play and it works flawlessly except my aiming is shot.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

bewilderment posted:

It might depend on difficulty and also be a little randomised. I had my screen suddenly go high-contrast just from a mimic jumping at my face.

I wish the hitbox on the wrench was a bit more generous - I'm playing with a steam controller via steam link because my girlfriend enjoys watching me play and it works flawlessly except my aiming is shot.

That's like saying that a bicycle is flawless except you can't ride it.

Joking aside, the wrench is pretty inconsistent at times. I have had times where it just barely wiffed, and others when I swear I did a pirouette and brought the Hand of God down on a poor mimic's head. I have caught myself chalking it up to lag until I remember this is a single player game.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any tips for Technomancers? I just fought my first one, and it absolutely wrecked me - I had to use a shitload of Medkits. EMP grenades didn't seem to do anything to it, and I couldn't use the Qbeam for long enough before it would shock me and cause the weapon to stop working. I eventually decided to stop being cute and just sprinted up to it and blasted it with the shotgun, but I feel like there must be a more 'tactical' way to beat it. I haven't taken any alien powers yet.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Bardeh posted:

Any tips for Technomancers? I just fought my first one, and it absolutely wrecked me - I had to use a shitload of Medkits. EMP grenades didn't seem to do anything to it, and I couldn't use the Qbeam for long enough before it would shock me and cause the weapon to stop working. I eventually decided to stop being cute and just sprinted up to it and blasted it with the shotgun, but I feel like there must be a more 'tactical' way to beat it. I haven't taken any alien powers yet.

stun gun

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Bardeh posted:

Nullwave, then Qbeam.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Just finished my first run: clean hands, no typhon mods, and used the null wave device. This is a very good game. Definitely a solid entry in whatever genre Bioshock and Dishonored fit into.

Someone asked about new game plus earlier. I think it's coming in a later patch.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Yeah, the stungun is an extremely powerful anti-tech weapon. I fully upgraded mine. It'll do massive amounts of damage to turrets,technopaths and operators. Everything else will get disabled unless it's immune. Note that any enemy you incapacitate takes bonus damage as well.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That's like saying that a bicycle is flawless except you can't ride it.

Joking aside, the wrench is pretty inconsistent at times. I have had times where it just barely wiffed, and others when I swear I did a pirouette and brought the Hand of God down on a poor mimic's head. I have caught myself chalking it up to lag until I remember this is a single player game.

My actually shooting is fine (unless I'm trying to hit a distant button with the nerfgun) but the wrench throws me off because the mimic is a jumpy target and the wrench seems like it should hit the entire left-right arc in front of you but instead it just hits the crosshair, as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

n4 posted:

Definitely a solid entry in whatever genre Bioshock and Dishonored fit into.

The genre is generally called "immersive sim." Though Bioshock fits the definition less than Dishonored, System Shock, or Deus Ex. Semi open worlds with open systems-based gameplay.

So, would people on the PS4 say the controls are about on par with Dishonored 2 in the final version? I was able to deal with the input lag in that game and would put up with it here... but the degree of lag in the demo just made it unplayable for me.