Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
E: Accidentally hit submit instead of preview on the next update, waiting for the video upload

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Turns 25-26

Blood Chalice of Bathori: Countless are the innocent souls whose life essence has flowed into this bewitched goblet. Those that drink from it are rejuvenated with new power.

The first chain in Isabella's quest to get the blood chalice: "The moon hangs low and red, like some engorged tumour, casting its crimson half-light across all of Sylvania. Isabella von Carstein watches it slink along the horizon and plots her next move. Though she and her husband Vlad have established themselves at the very summit of the Midnight Aristocracy, there are those who would yet try to undo them. To keep them at bay, Isabella must therefore employ ever darker methods. Whilst she plots and prepares, however, she must know more about her foes. As the blood red moon holds its sanguine gaze, she gives flight to a trusted agent; a speck against the celestial opposition, looming down from the heavens"

---

The Grand Duchy of Talabecland is the first to swear complete fealty to Karl Franz.

"Talabecland is a major and founding Imperial Province that lies at the very central territories of the Empire of Man. Talabecland is perhaps one of the largest of the Imperial Provices, whose dominant features include their dominion over the River Stir and the River Talabec, as well as claiming territory of nearly all the Great Forest. Much of the province's trade flows along these rivers, as well as trade that flows through to the north and south along the Great Forest Road."

Under the false Emperor's orders, a former Talabecland army encircles Bechafen, the capital of Ostermark before Zelig can take it for himself.

---

Willhelm Harkon, a Mannfred loyalist who escaped the purge of Sylvania raises a host outside the dark city of Averland but Vlad is waiting for him. There will be a lot of vampiric rebellions so instead of uploading a video for this one I just took some screenshots instead.

Vlad sallies from behind the walls of Averland, still visible in the distance of the battle site.

A valiant skeleton brings down Willhelm Harkon with a spear through the neck. The crypt horrors drop to the ground in dismay.

---

Vlad's character tree so far. Turning the rebel army to ash ranks Vlad up and I go with Vanhel's Danse Macabre here.

This Lore of Vampires spell will give a single unit, lord or hero +34 melee attack and +24% speed for 25 seconds, but when you overcast it becomes a 40m aoe for only 8 winds of magic. Overcasting this on the center of the line at the start of the fight will help break through quicker, or at any point of the fight.

---

I won't go into detail about every building that goes up from now on because there will be a lot of construction, but I wanted to mention this:

Before any other minor settlement gets the tier two garrison building which adds walls, Grenzstadt gets the Grave Guard Watchtower first.

Grenzstadt, the province of Averland's only minor settlement, watches over the mouth of Blackfire Pass. On the other side of the narrow pass are the Border Princedoms and the Bloodlands where the dwarfs and greenskins are fighting to the death. Grenzstadt is the first line of defense against the south so it starts building walls before Schwartzhafen, Essen, or Fort Oberstyre. Grenzstadt is also next door to the Karak-Hirn clan of dwarfs who are sharpening their axes so they may interrupt the construction.

You want to prioritize getting walls around your minor settlements above almost all else. If your towns are constantly being sacked and razed it will slow you down a lot. Your armies deplete when they recolonize the ruins which makes them vulnerable, and the dark magic costs to rebuild along with the opportunity cost of the dark magic you lose in income that the town would've been collecting. Once the walls are up, armies will have to stop and siege and won't launch their assault until they've built as many towers and rams as they think they need, giving you around 2-4 turns to relieve the city for vampire rebellions, maybe longer. But once you have walls, the garrison alone will be able to repel most rebel armies and weaker enemy stacks.

---

Zhufbar tries to fortify by abandoning their Greenskin front but they're too late to save their ancient hold.

Since Zhufbar was sacked the turn before, this was just a mop up so I autoresolved it and razed.

---

The battle takes Isabella to the rank 10 which unlocks the Hellsteed, a flying mount and the highest tier mount for Isabella.

Having your lord in the air in the campaign is a good thing. It's safer usually and you can get them quicker to exactly where they need to be. Just make sure they're not taking a lot of focused ranged armor piercing fire at once while in the air or they might drop like flies.

---

Wissenland's armies were fighting in Stirland when they hastily declared war on Templehof. Maybe they thought that Vlad and Isabella were just going to let them kick their dog Zelig around because they've left Pfeildorf undefended.

The balance of power bar before the fight was even, but when you have a legendary lord like Vlad and a hero kited out with items against a lone garrison force, they probably could've taken them on just the two of them. It's a short battle and not at all close but I thought I'd upload it anyways. The camera is a little janky here at parts, hadn't recorded a replay in what feels like a few weeks.

The Battle of Pfeildorf - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwYUEcAu4B4

Vlad and Emmanuelle charge first to tie up most of the enemy swordsmen while the skeleton infantry and zombies flank and run down their ranged units.

On legendary, the disorder penalties for having territory with no vampiric corruption are pretty severe, so you don't want to overextend too quickly if you don't want to lose any ground. Corruption is still building up in Averland and Stirland, so taking land in Wissenland now would be three provinces constantly rebelling. Even though Pfeildorf was recently sacked by someone else and there's only 975 dark magic to take, it's sacked so that the lands can be saturated with corruption before being annexed.

---

Glittering Scales are found in the smoldering city hall. "Such is the shine upon every scale in the resplendent mail that the foe can't help but be dazzled."

Heroes can be given items and followers too. The newly found armor is given to Emmanuelle Posner, the Shadow Vampire studying under Vlad, along with a few other items and retainers.

---

Wissenland has 32 units defending their recent conquest of Wurtbad, the capital of Stirland.

Wissenland's secondary army.

Stirland's humiliated court takes refuge with the halflings of The Moot. It won't be long before Wissenland takes full control of the province. Stirland has a defensive alliance with Reikland, but the Reiklanders apparently have more pressing matters than coming to Stirland's rescue. I would take The Moot now but there's no need to enter into an early war with Karl Franz just yet if it's about fall to Wissenland soon anyways.

---

When you hover the mouse over a settlement that's a type that you can't occupy, it'll show you how much you'd get for looting it. The unspoiled lands around Karak Dromar, Zhufbar's westernmost hold, are crying out for someone to pillage them. 8578 souls will pay for a massive city upgrade in Sylvania so Isabella hurries over. The longer a town goes without being looted, the higher the value will go. In the mid to late game some cities will give you 30-50k in loot.

---

The Red Eye tribe is at war with Grimgor Ironhide's Greenskins, so I thought I would offer them a Non-Aggression pact since I knew this time they wouldn't be peacefully confederating, but Ornery Backstabber insults and refuses, something he'll regret with his last breath.

---

At the end of turn 26, Wissenland offers the olive branch and a small amount of tribute.

Karl Franz actually despises Wissenland more than he does the von Carsteins, so he would've been more offended if we made peace.

In response, the Countess of Wissenland divides the army and sends Conroy Autlermann to threaten the fortified mass graves of Oberstyre.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 27, 2017

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
After the next update, I'm probably going to jump ahead a bit and gloss over turns 30-40 and maybe more to get to better action and the meat of the campaign. I played ahead in the campaign, up to around turn 60 but mostly spent turns 30-45 exterminating Zhufbar's settlements and building up Sylvania.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Cool

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Been out of commission because when I was working on my computer I guess one of the power cords to the motherboard wasn't in right because it started to melt and smoke and melted into the prong so had to get a new PSU and motherboard. I think replacing all that and getting more ram has fixed some of the graphics/sound problems I was having but I haven't done any huge battles yet to test it so I guess we'll see.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

LP curse strikes again! Hopefully it all works fine now, Trujillo, both for your sake and because this LP is top notch.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Turns 27-40

The boundaries of the southern Empire as of turn 30. Wissenland eliminated Stirland when they invaded The Moot on turn 28, which was overrun by the von Carsteins a turn later.

The dark magic harvested per region. Most of Greater Sylvania is still poor and underdeveloped, but the gold mine at Castle Drakenhof makes up for it.

---

Eben von Liebwitz, under the orders of Wissenland's Head of State Countess Emmanuelle von Liebwitz, tried to make a desperate dash for the von Carstein capital but was corralled by Vlad and Isabella into the swamps of Schwartzhafen. It takes an extra turn to cross the river between Schwartzhafen and Grenzstadt so Wissenland's main army has nowhere to run.

Meanwhile, Zelig obeys his orders and starts to starve out Wurtbad, Stirland's capital, and a Strigoi Ghoul King carrying the Templehof banner comes to reinforce.

Eben von Liebwitz has lead his men into a quagmire, and their march through cursed lands has diminished them. Their enfeebled army doesn't even warrant the attention of both Vlad and Isabella, so Vlad goes to garrison Grenzstadt which is suffering from hit and run attacks by the lowly Karak-Hirn dwarfs.

Battle Eleven - Wissenland's Last Stand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX5RG6lS9nQ

Isabella flies in first to do some damage before the infantry shambles over. If you change direction on a flying mount after a volley of small arms fire is coming at you, you can dodge it. The reason Isabella keeps saying "quickly, swiftly, quickly, swiftly" is because I'm spamming move orders. This is something that happens a lot in the next few videos because I'm used to multiplayer where you have to spam orders but now that I've noticed it I'll try to cut back on it in future battles. Isabella gets a good charge in and knocks Eben away from his troops, who are then cut off from the duel by raised zombies and skeletons coming out of the ground. When there's blue/red lightning bolts coming off a unit, that means it's summoned and it's slowly deteriorating health over time. Isabella nearly takes Eben out herself but Wissenland's infantry finishes the raised dead and charges her. The rest of the army arrives though and the varghulf "wounds" Eben by separating his head from his shoulders. Because he's technically the faction leader he can't be killed so I guess they're using some sort of dark magic to keep him alive.

An avalanche of bad news overwhelms the Countess of Wissenland. Shes trades sovereignty for security with Karl Franz.

---

Turn 32. All of the Elector Counts in sight have been annexed into either the Empire of the living or the dead. The vampire domains are about equal in size to Karl Franz' if you include Templehof.

The power bar that compares the strength of our armies is also pretty even. They're currently at war with Ostermark, Crooked Moon, and the Greenskin tribe the Skullsmasherz who are in a doomed position inhabiting the mountains between Bretonnia and the Empire.

Ostermark is destroyed. One less Elector Count to deal with.

"Storm clouds gather in the north. Chaos stirs. The faster you expand and possibly the more blood that's shed, the sooner the Warriors of Chaos will invade from the north. They haven't arrived yet, this is just the first warning.

---

This is what happens when you don't pay attention to the pop-ups that tell you a rebellion is imminent. When you know it's coming, you can raise a lord and then raise dead/regiments of renown. Not doing that leads to the first defeat of the campaign when the battle is autoresolved and the Moot is razed.

---

Vampires are sent out to make contact with all the other factions in the world. The larger your empire gets, the higher the Great Power relations hit that you take with every faction will be, which makes it harder to get any diplomacy started. The first new faction met is Clan Angrund, a unique clan of Dwarfs who have spectral heroes and a huge grudge against the Crooked Moon greenskins. They've been driven from their ancestral home of Karak Eight Peaks far to the east and are taking refuge in the Black Mountains south of Wissenland.

---

With Wissenland now under the protection of Karl Franz, the von Carsteins take the reprieve of the Empire-Vampire Wars to take the fight to the gathering army of dwarfs at Mighdal Vongalbarak. The battle was saved a few weeks ago when I was still having graphics problems and at one point there were 8,000-9,000 troops on the field so the model animations on the replay were stuttering heavily so I decided to just get screenshots instead of uploading it.

The von Carstein force takes twice as many losses, but most of the casualties on our side are made up of skeleton warriors and zombies. Karak Hirn loses their whole force and the town is sacked and razed, leaving them with only their capital further west.

Isabella gets a trait, looter, which boosts dark magic gained from raiding/sacking. You get traits based on your actions, like whether you ransom off your captives or execute them.

---

A vampire is sent to Mousillon to make contact with the Red Duke, and passes through some other Bretonnian dukedoms on the way.

---

The Red Duke making an entrance

The Red Duke has a seemingly large army gathered and is raiding Bordeleaux, but Mousillon's armies are like paper. Because Mousillon is a minor settlement, they only have 3 building slots, one of which is automatically taken up by a port. The port gives them a lot of income but their armies are made up of nothing but zombies, skeleton warriors and spearmen because they can't get better recruitment buildings with only a minor settlement. They have a tier 3 cemetery but no armory to build grave guard with.

They also have trouble keeping vampiric corruption up in their own territory because of Lyonesse. We'll have to flood Bretonnia with agents and carve our own path of destruction through Bretonnia if Mousillon is going to have any hope of taking it over.

---

The Duke of Bordeleaux, Alberic de Bordeleaux, one of three Bretonnian legendary lords, sallies out and crushes the Mousillonesse armies that were pillaging their land. Emmanuelle Posner sneaks into their camp while the Bretonnian peasants are drunk in celebration and makes an attempt on Duke Alberic's life in revenge for Mousillon.

Alberic de Bordeleaux

Alberic is wounded by the shadow vampire, and is carted back to the capital city to recover.

Without the Duke's leadership, the damsel who takes charge of the army in his absence beats a hasty retreat south. The Red Duke may owe Emmanuelle Posner his continued existence.

---

The random event that spawns a Wight King goes off. Wight Kings are good melee fighters in their own right and give +5 order to friendly territory when deployed and -5 to enemy territory when deployed. If you fill a non vampire faction's lands with corruptions you can get vampiric rebellions to trigger in their lands, and deploying a wight king can help speed that up.

A few turns later, the event that gives a banshee fires. Banshees are good duelists on the battlefield. They're ethereal which means they take 80% less physical damage but take increased magic damage and fire damage. On the campaign map, they're the best hero the vampires have for assassinating enemy heroes and lords. They can take early points that give them increased chances to assassinate.

---

Zelig comes to colonize the Moot because he has the ruin-dweller trait but I decided to have Vlad colonize it because the borders would've looked strange if Templehof took the Moot.

---

The vampire sent through the Black Mountains takes the pass that leads to the Forest of Athel Loren, home of the Wood Elves and the Oak of Ages.

The Wood Elves are the only faction besides Templehof that doesn't hate the von Carsteins. For some reason they have no aversion to the undead built into their relations like most factions have. All four wood elf factions agree to non-aggression pacts. As of now, they just want them and their forest to be left alone. They all have the isolationist trait, which means they won't expand. At some point, they'll go crazy, lose isolationist and start growing their reach.

---

North of Lyonesse is Couronne, capital of Louen Leoncoeur, would be King of Bretonnia. The Bretonnian tech tree has a branch where each tech gives you much better relations and the ability to confederate a certain Bretonnian dukedom, so Bretonnia can consolidate quickly if Louen picks up momentum.

When looking to see why Louen hates us so much, part of the reason was a non-aggression pact signed by cloven hoof with the Beastmen.

When I offered a treaty with the Beastmen, I didn't think they'd actually take it. Everyone, even the Greenskins, hate and are fighting the Beastmen so the whole world likes me a little less because of this treaty, so it's broken.

Instead of a relations hit because of having a treaty with the beastmen now, breaking it will give a small boost with everyone for a short time.

---

Khazrak the One-Eye's prophecy might be coming true. As soon as we turn our backs on our agreement with the Beastmen, a newly formed herd moves north through the Blackfire pass, raiding von Carstein villages as they stampede towards an unknown destination. They're only at war with Karak Hirn luckily or they would probably be able to get away with sacking Grenzstadt or Schwartzhafen.

---

Von Carstein relations with the rest of the world.

A map of vampiric corruption. Averland is getting close to fully corrupt, while Stirland and Ostermark are about halfway there. Averland and Stirland are corrupt enough that another province can be added without the fear of constant rebellions happening in every province outside of Sylvania. The capitals of Averland and Stirland are also within a turn's march of each other so it's easy to defend them both against rebellions with only one army.

The political map of the west at turn 40.

By confederating a bit too quickly, the Empire is becoming overstretched and is now fighting a war against Clan Angrund to the south and Artois to the west. The Empire would have a difficult enough time defending just their eastern front against the combined armies of Isabella and Vlad. Now they're fighting on two other fronts, the underbelly of the usurper's illegitimate Empire is looking soft and tender.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

LP curse strikes again! Hopefully it all works fine now, Trujillo, both for your sake and because this LP is top notch.

Thanks! It should be fine now. The last update and the next update are all battles and screenshots that were taken before it melted down though so it won't show any noticeable improvement till turn 60 which is what I played up to before.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hey, glad to see this back!

Sure looks Karl Franz is only a von Carstein declaration of war to be in.... Total war.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Even in this l.p. the empire just can't catch a break.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Turns 40-57

"By all means, try and stop 'em. I won't stand in your way. Beat them back, chop them down, hold the line, carry the day. Cover yourself in glory, or in guts, it makes no difference to me. Or to the dead, for that matter. You're just postponing the inevitable, lad. Mark my words, they'll get us all in the end."

-Black Ruprecht, veteran of the Vampire Wars, on fighting the undead

Clan Angrund calls in the Border Princes and Tilea into their war against the Empire. The spirits of their ancestors give Clan Angrund good advice.

A vampire on the hunt for Karl Franz finds him clearing out the last of the Crooked Moon tribe of goblins. He may have removed one threat but Karak Azgaraz is far from their other fronts so this may cost them territory in Reikland or Wissenland.

In the northern Empire, The Elector Count of Middenland, Boris Todbringer overwhelms Hochland and lays siege to their capital. Boris Todbringer, thinking he deserved to be Emperor more than Karl Franz, is none too happy with the current state of affairs. Emissaries are sent to see if his strings could be pulled.

Despite relations not being great between us, there's a 'moderate' chance of success that he would agree to a non-aggression pact which would further turn him against the rest of the Empire.

He refuses, but a moderate chance usually means that with a gift included in the offer they'll change their mind. He should be paying tribute to the von Carsteins though, not the other way around, so no agreement is made.

---

An all out invasion of the Empire means that the east will have to be ignored until victory on the western front, or at least defended with a skeleton crew, so before it starts vampires are sent to find Zhufbar's army. Zhufbar has been brought to the brink twice and the current truce is just that. Dwarfs never forget or forgive so Sylvania will never be safe until their whole clan is eradicated. Their army is found, and would be a threat if Mount Gunbad wasn't a Tolkienesque journey from their holds.

Vlad and Isabella make short work of their undefended cities and clear the whole range of dwarfs.

Isabella's trek through uncorrupted mountains has weakened her and her army but the Zhufbar dwarfs cling stubbornly to their siege of Mount Gunbad.

Either the loss of their ancestral lands and the income that came with them forced them to downsize their army or they assaulted Mount Gunbad and failed. Going on a rampage against Zhufbar has caused a temporary friendship with Grimgor Ironhide, who sends Azhag the Slaughterer and two full armies north to force the Red Eye Goblins to kneel.

In peace negoations, you can force any faction of the same type to confederate with you. AI factions are usually good at realizing when they're about to be completely destroyed and will give whatever you want.

Rest in Pieces

---

The dark magic gained from Zhufbar's destruction is put towards building a forbidden library in Castle Templehof. The Vampire economy doesn't really get going until you get Necromancer Towers and Vampire Crypts built in province capitals.

Both are tier four buildings that normally cost 10k dark magic, but are 8k with a necromancer deployed. If you're the Vampire Count faction and not the von Carsteins, you need the Vampire Crypts to be able to start recruiting vampire heroes. You need the forbidden library to start recruiting necromancers either way. The tier V versions cost even more and are needed to unlock recruitment of the strongest Vampire Count units. Even though I've had access to since turn 8 thanks to the giant corpse pile in Eschen, necromancers are important if you want to build up your economic strength to be able to field more elite armies, and the tier V versions give +500 income each. Having necromancers and banshees deployed outside the province capitals will raise the income even more. Since vampires are already recruitable thanks to the Mausoleum of the Mad Count in Castle Drakenhof, the Necromancer Tower is built first.

A Reliquary is also unearthed at Castle Templehof. You can only recruit so many of each unit in the raise dead pool before it has to recharge, and for the top tier units there's only 1-2 of each even in the biggest corpse piles. If you lose multiple armies in a single battle you may not want to be forced to rely on the raise dead pool since you'll only be able to get 1-2 of each elite unit at a time.

---

To prepare for the coming confrontation with Karl Franz, Vlad returns to Essen to create a Mortis Engine and a force of Blood Knights.

"The Flag of the Blood Keep flashes violently; the Blood Knights run their enemies down." The Blood Knights might be the single strongest cavalry unit in the game. They have massive armor, a large charge bonus, an anti-large bonus to their damage, making them great against other cavalry and monsters/giants. They're going to win almost every unit matchup, except when outnumbered by halberdiers or anti-large cavalry like Orc Boar Boy Big Unz and Demigryph Knights with Halberds. They also have the frenzy trait which gives them even more damage when their leadership is above 50%.

"Bolstering the fighting spirit of all those around it and blasting enemy ranks with savage, dark energy." The Mortis Engine is a unit that comes with the Grim and the Grave DLC pack for the Empire and Vampires.

It has one aura that heals friendly undead nearby, and another that damages all enemy units slowly over time that are near it. It also passively improves winds of power regeneration. The Mortis Engine is the best undead support unit, but it doesn't necessarily have to replace the corpse carts. All three corpse carts will give all friendly units within their aura 8+ melee attack and defense, and the best corpse cart, the corpse cart with lodestone gives off its own healing regeneration to nearby units that stacks with the mortis engine's healing. Then if you also have a Necromancer with the Master of Dead skill unlocked, that's another AOE heal going off that stacks up with the mortis engine and corpse cart heals. Throw Invocation of Nehek on top and you have an extremely durable army. Even skeleton warriors will punch above their weight.

---

The State of Sylvania, Turn 50

Known races ranked by strength.

---

The Border Princes and the Empire make peace, and Artois declares war on Moussilon at the same time their shambling armies are crushed by Bordeleaux.

Things are looking pretty grim for the Red Duke but at least Mousillon has walls since they built the level 2 garrison building. That and Bordeleaux has the defensive trait so they may not try to even take the cursed port for themselves. But Artois has been aggressively expanding.

---

Turn 55 political map. The Empire lost the western half of Reikland to Artois and sued for peace and the Greenskins now have the Northern Worlds Edge Mountains and Peak Pass all to themselves. They're currently weaker than the Dwarfs as a faction so having all this breathing room will hopefully help them keep the fighting going against the dwarfs for as long as they can. The only Elector Counts still standing are Marienburg, Middenland, Hochland, and Nordland.

The Empire

Vampiric Corruption

---

"The moon has passed into cloud and, when Isabella's agent returns, Sylvania is shrouded in a dark and baleful night. He speaks of insipid Sigmarites amassing nearby, and the Vampire matriarch knows that the Empire only ever comes bearing one thing - destruction. Her blood, such as it is, rises as the realisations dawns like a new moon; if they want war, then war they shall have!"

The insipid Sigmirates. Karl Franz sits threateningly in Pfeildorf. If they want war, then war they shall have.

---

Isabella goes straight for the usurper himself while Vlad secures Wurtbad before the Nordland army raiding Stirland decides that it would look better with their flags decorating the walls. Even factions that aren't at war with the Empire are giving them grief.

Battle Twelve - Walls of Wurtbad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpsttpEFGGQ

This is just a small garrison army so it's a massacre, I just wanted to show off the Blood Knights and Mortis Engine a little bit.

Will cliffhang it there. Had video of this battle uploaded a week ago but for some reason it came out blurry even on 1080p. Since this is the most important battle since killing Mannfred, I didn't want it to be barely watchable so I rerecorded it and it's uploading now.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 13, 2017

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Even in this l.p. the empire just can't catch a break.

Yeah it's kind've funny. When the game first came out, the Empire was considered one of the easy factions but their position has gotten harder with every new faction that's been added.

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

:hb: "Hey Boris, how's it hanging man? Where's this Todd I keep hearing about? I was looking forward to meeting him. Ooh! Is he really tiny!? Does he live in that castle on your hat? HEY TODD, YOU IN THERE? WHAT ARE YOU SLEEPING OR SOMETHING? C'MON MAN WAKE UP! STUFF'S HAPPENING!"

:aaaaa: "Just ignore him Boris, just ignore him"

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Maslovo posted:

:hb: "Hey Boris, how's it hanging man? Where's this Todd I keep hearing about? I was looking forward to meeting him. Ooh! Is he really tiny!? Does he live in that castle on your hat? HEY TODD, YOU IN THERE? WHAT ARE YOU SLEEPING OR SOMETHING? C'MON MAN WAKE UP! STUFF'S HAPPENING!"

:aaaaa: "Just ignore him Boris, just ignore him"

I'm hearing the skull's part in The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson's Geoff Peterson's voice. And its amazing.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Now I want a unit that's just a skull that floats around and taunts the enemy and lowers their leadership. Wish I knew how to mod.

Thought I'd post this here, the first in-engine trailer for Total Warhammer II, showing the lizardmen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfO-pdyNWvg

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Trujillo posted:

Now I want a unit that's just a skull that floats around and taunts the enemy and lowers their leadership. Wish I knew how to mod.

Thought I'd post this here, the first in-engine trailer for Total Warhammer II, showing the lizardmen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfO-pdyNWvg

If the game is as loud as this trailer then I'm not going to buy it. Hurt my ears.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Trujillo posted:

yesyesyesBUT WHERE ARE THE SKAVEN

Seriously though, while I know CA's gonna reveal the Skaven for the big marketing push, they could at least have a shot of rats with glowing red eyes eating the corpses at the end or something.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

yesyesyesBUT WHERE ARE THE SKAVEN

Seriously though, while I know CA's gonna reveal the Skaven for the big marketing push, they could at least have a shot of rats with glowing red eyes eating the corpses at the end or something.

Thing is, Skavenblight is on the current in game map, down in the Border Princes territory.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Calax posted:

Thing is, Skavenblight is on the current in game map, down in the Border Princes territory.

Also, the only purpose of skaven is to die en masse to the dinosaurs riding other dinosaurs with lasers.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
So, Skaven are simply unfulfilled experience points?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ynglaur posted:

So, Skaven are simply unfulfilled experience points?

Eh. I put them with the greenskins as existing mainly as a way to introduce characters as badasses and hardened military veterans by slaughtering lots of them - the same role beastmen play.

I don't find any of the traditionally evil/chaotic races in Warhammer Fantasy interesting aside from the Vampire Counts, though. I'm all for the Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Dwarfs, and Empire.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Skaven are wonderful because they're a mockery of neo-nazis. A bunch of screaming rat-bastards who love impractical superweapons and talk a big game about being the master race until the second they descend into backstabbing and treachery and/or don't outnumber you 50 to 1 and run off swearing they'll totally get you next time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also, constantly high

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
So dealing with starting as either Isabella or Vlad, both can recruit the other on turn 2 for free. You get the campaign bonuses of only the one you choose to begin with.

Factoring in these things, which is probably the better start?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Nash posted:

So dealing with starting as either Isabella or Vlad, both can recruit the other on turn 2 for free. You get the campaign bonuses of only the one you choose to begin with.

Factoring in these things, which is probably the better start?

They'd be roughly even if Vlad didn't start with Blood Knights and an extra Vargheist. Both start with a shadow vampire and a death vampire and two Vargheists, but Vlad's extra starting units are a blood knight, a vargheist and a fell bat. Isabella's extra units are two crypt ghouls and a black knight, which is worse in comparison but manageable.

Vlad still gets to vanguard deploy his whole army even if you pick Isabella so Isabella gets better campaign bonuses.

You don't really miss out on much in the long run based on which one you choose.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Skaven are also very, very fun to play, since their reliance on malfunctioning war machines (assuming you play Skryre, the only good clan :colbert:) and their ability to shoot into close combat actually encourages you to view losing vast numbers of your own troops as a feature, not a bug. A good Skaven campaign should make losing as much fun, if not more, than winning.

Also, they're a race of tiny, tiny Cobra Commanders- what's not to like?

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Trujillo posted:

They'd be roughly even if Vlad didn't start with Blood Knights and an extra Vargheist. Both start with a shadow vampire and a death vampire and two Vargheists, but Vlad's extra starting units are a blood knight, a vargheist and a fell bat. Isabella's extra units are two crypt ghouls and a black knight, which is worse in comparison but manageable.

Vlad still gets to vanguard deploy his whole army even if you pick Isabella so Isabella gets better campaign bonuses.

You don't really miss out on much in the long run based on which one you choose.

Seems like the "best" way to handle this is to start with Isabella, then immediately recruit Vlad and pass him the army to get that crazy as gently caress XP skill ASAP.

How do people deal with sieges as vampires? Send skeletons to the walls to put ranged defenders in CC, everything else straight through the gate? I'm seriously dreading the moment my enemies start getting gates with oil.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I ride bikes all day posted:

Seems like the "best" way to handle this is to start with Isabella, then immediately recruit Vlad and pass him the army to get that crazy as gently caress XP skill ASAP.

How do people deal with sieges as vampires? Send skeletons to the walls to put ranged defenders in CC, everything else straight through the gate? I'm seriously dreading the moment my enemies start getting gates with oil.

Vargheists tend to butcher units that are trying to hold a wall, even if all they're fighting is skeletons (and you get grave guard, which are solidly powerful infantry.) Just fly them around and drop them into the back. Magic, as usual with VC, is really powerful.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I tried an army made of Cairn Wraiths and Hex Wraiths against an endgame chaos army and they just evaporated on contact. 80% physical resistance looked really cool on paper, but in practice it didn't do much for me.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Gort posted:

I tried an army made of Cairn Wraiths and Hex Wraiths against an endgame chaos army and they just evaporated on contact. 80% physical resistance looked really cool on paper, but in practice it didn't do much for me.

The probably had some magic in there; Aspiring Champions are really great at blending through incorporeal enemies, and Lore of Fire has a cheap buff that lights weapons on fire and gives them magic damage. Chaos is pretty good at killing a ghost army.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah wraith units are pretty situational. I like the banshee and bringing a few cairn wraiths is okay because they cause terror but I've never gotten good results out of hexwraiths. They can do alright but for their cost there's a lot more effective units you could bring for cheaper.

The factions that an all ghost army could work against are the beastmen and greenskins. Neither have many units with magic or fire attacks and not that many magic spells. You'd have to watch out for Foot of Gork though against greenskins. Not many dwarf units have magic attacks but they do have a lot of explosives and things like flame cannons and irondrakes. Against a low tier dwarf army made up of mostly dwarf warriors they could work really well though since wraiths do armor piercing. Bretonnia and Wood Elves have a lot of magic damage, and any faction that has access to the lore of fire like Empire or Chaos is a risk because of the spell that gives every unit in a AOE fire damage to their attacks/missiles.

It's probably best just to bring 1-2 and keep them safe in the back line and throw them in when the fighting starts to cause terror.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 15, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I wouldn't consider them very good against Beastmen either because a single Fate of Bjurna from a Death Shaman will destroy them, and Occam's Mind Razor from the Lore of Shadows also imbues magic damage in an area. It is a shame they are so underpowered for their cost, because they look awesome and war ghosts are a fun idea.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Skaven are wonderful because they're a mockery of neo-nazis. A bunch of screaming rat-bastards who love impractical superweapons and talk a big game about being the master race until the second they descend into backstabbing and treachery and/or don't outnumber you 50 to 1 and run off swearing they'll totally get you next time.

Aren't they like DA MVP of the End times though? Basically ruining the good guys plots up until the very end while Orcs and Chaos all get demolished by the Order folk?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Calax posted:

Aren't they like DA MVP of the End times though? Basically ruining the good guys plots up until the very end while Orcs and Chaos all get demolished by the Order folk?

much like the protagonists of Atlas Shrugged, they do some amazing work offscreen so the authors didn't have to actually worry about how said things happened

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Turns 57-60

Thanks to Clan Angrund's constant pillaging of Pfeildorf, there's no garrison here to help Karl Franz stand his ground in this blood bowl.

Battle Thirteen - Pfeildorf Round II https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCQmvxXoLzU

The battle starts with Isabella trying to take out the mortars before the infantry gets into mortar range. It almost works. One mortar gets taken out and a mortar team gets scared off but they come back and start manning them again when Isabella has to fly away and recover. The skeletons climb the hill first to shield the grave guard from the mortars and handgunners. They don't have an answer for grave guard yet which is why you're able to cut through everyone like butter early on if you rush for grave guard. They would need Greatsword infantry to counter them because they do armor piercing damage. Regular swordsmen aren't going to be able to get through grave guard armor. Eventually, Karl Franz decides he's had enough varghulf punches to the face and runs off the battlefield leaving the few remaining Tattersoul flagellants to their fate.

Since their army was stationed in Pfeildorf, they don't have a chance to retreat and the whole army is wiped out. The amber wizard and empire captain are dead but Franz will be back.

A famous battle site is triggered but with only 2481 casualties it won't improve the raise dead pool by much.

Pfeildorf has iron mines which gives it access to a unique building, the Unholy Forge, which makes Wissenland a decent province to turn into a recruitment center.

With Karl Franz and his army out of the way, the rest of Wissenland is wide open.

---

Relations start thawing with Clan Angrund, who had a force of rangers nearby watching the battle of Pfeildorf.

---

Turn 58 political map.

The beastmen are reviled by anyone who isn't Chaos affiliated so being at war with them will raise relations a little bit with almost everyone. As you take more territory it gets harder to do diplomacy because of the rising Great Power relations malus so you need to make up for it in other ways. Even if you don't want to do any diplomacy, a small boost in relations might be the difference between a faction declaring war on you or not.

---

Volkmar the Grim, the most powerful religious leader in the Empire of Men, starts to try to rebuild the Imperial army out of Grunburg.

"Volkmar...Just look at him. He never wavers and never yields. Some say he never even sleeps. Everything about him is bent to that one great task of holding back the darkness. He can't do it alone, but then again, he doesn't need to, for his sheer resolve inspires men like us to greatness."
—Sir Albrecht Valdorf, Preceptor of the Righteous Lance

Franz swallows his pride and offers peace and a small token of tribute, but the war has only just started.

The battle is autoresolved and the town sacked and re-occupied. Wissenland thought everything was going to be okay after they gave full control to Karl Franz but their so-called Emperor isn't around to save them this time.

---

"When battle is done, the fields are soaked in less cruor than Isabella expected, or indeed desired. Such paltry forces could not really have been meant for her - for they were no threat at all, and could never challenge her Undead hegemony. There must be more to their machinations, she muses, as she drags terrified and hapless captive Empire soldiers into the bowels of her fortress to extract information in cruel and unusual ways."

With 4 skill points into the Lore of Vampires and 1 point in Evasion, the second tier of Vampire spells open up and Isabella gets Wind of Death.

Wind of Death is potentially one of the deadliest spells in the game if you line it up right.

The direction that a Wind of Death goes is a straight line starting from where your caster is to where you cast it. You want it to go horizontally across the enemy line, not vertically straight at them. The AI will usually try to dodge it. It's actually easier to use in multiplayer most of the time. You have a few seconds after you see the marks on the ground, but you can usually tell before hand if you see a vampire or necromancer going to the side of your army and then sitting lined up with you. With everything else going on most people don't notice it, but the AI will immediately run out of its way, so you have to use it after they're already engaged.

245 kills and I've seen even higher casualties from other player's Winds of Death.

---

This is something I didn't realize you could do until reading the Empire LP. Never tried asking for gifts and offering nothing in return but Zelig has adapted quickly to his new role.

---

Vlad forces Volkmar to choose between trying to save Grunburg or Kemperbad.

---

Infuse the Tireless Hordes, part of the Liber Necronomica, increases your campaign movement range of everything by 10% or 15% so a detour is taken from the Lahmian Book of Blood to pick it up.

Next is Infiltrate Noble Houses for a permanent relations boost of +10 with every faction. This one is very optional but I'm trying to play somewhat diplomatically and don't want to be overwhelmed with wars on every front so every relations boost helps.

---

As if the Empire of Men wasn't in a bad enough downward spiral, a new Brayherd of Beastmen emerges from the woods near Altdorf.

---

Vlad stands at a familiar fork in the road. Either crush Volkmar's ragged army at Kemperbad, take Grunburg which is Altdorf's last line of defense, or take Nuln and finish the annexation of Wissenland.

Battle Fourteen - Assault on Nuln: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4FaYNSBXLw

If I had remembered that the Nuln garrison included two mortars I wouldn't have made my infantry so compact, but the healing from the mortis engine and invocation of nehek ensures that most of them survive and the garrison is overrun.

To try to preserve as much of the city as possible, the town is occupied without being looted or sacked. All the rebellions in Wissenland will strike at Nuln so the sooner a garrison building gets built there the better.

---

With all the dark magic harvested from the Empire, the first tier V city level is finished at Castle Templehof.

---

Turn 60 political map. With the loss of the western Reikland, Wissenland and Stirland, the Empire is starting to look like a corpse already. They only have two provincial capitals left and two minor settlements.

Turn 60 relations map. Almost everyone wants to see us dead again, except for Templehof, the Wood Elves and the Greenskins.

Turn 60 Vampiric corruption. Only four provinces outside of Sylvania have any noticeable corruption yet, and this is after bee-lining for the corruption techs and pumping out vampires early with points invested in corruption, so it would be in an even worse state without those.

Strongest 13 factions in order. A lot of the time the Skaeling or Varg will be #1 because their cities give them huge incomes and their units are cheap. There's this mod that nerfs them if you do a campaign or two and think the Varg and Skaeling deserve a nerf. A lot of the times they're stronger than the Warriors of Chaos and their armies are usually made up of a lot of javelin throwers on horseback and chariots which are a pain to deal with for most armies. Some people in the comments say it's too crippling though so seems like it's tough to find a balance.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=701170286

---

Suddenly the Empire shows some life. Balthasar Gelt had been taking the fight to Clan Angrund and comes running out of the pass to the Vaults, with angry dwarf ghosts hot on his trail.

"Balthasar Gelt is the current Supreme Patriarch of the Colleges of Magic and one of the Empire's greatest Wizards of this very age. The position of Supreme Patriarch is the highest attainable position by a wizard within the Empire of Man. The patriarch is responsible for advising Emperor Karl Franz in all decisions dealing with the Arcane." Balthasar isn't a high enough rank yet to be Supreme Patriarch so he's occupying the office of Arch-Lector.

Isabella marches to garrison Pfeildorf against him while Vlad makes his return to Reikland and attacks Grunburg.

With the fall of Grunburg, the seat of the Empire, Altdorf is within striking distance, and this time Mannfred isn't around to gently caress it all up. But with the forces of Chaos stirring, the von Carsteins suddenly face a dilemma: kill Karl Franz now and ascend to their rightful thrones in Altdorf and face the Chaos invasion alone, or bide time and repel the daemon worshippers alongside mankind and then unite the Empire after Chaos is defeated.

Altdorf is a valuable city to have but it would probably be anticlimactic to roll over the Empire that easily, and their help may be useful later against Chaos. And thanks to Artois, the road to Bretonnia is open.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 17, 2017

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Turns 60-70

The mood in Karl Franz' court is dark. They've tried nothing to stop the von Carstein liberation of nearly half of the Empire and they're all out of ideas.

When you sign a treaty, peace treaties included, you have to wait 10 turns before you can attack again without taking a hit to your reputation. Signing a peace treaty within 10 turns of declaring a war will also cause your reputation to suffer but it'll eventually start to recover. It goes from something like Steadfast-Trustworthy-Untrustworthy-Unreliable. The more trustworthy you are, the more other factions will want to do diplomacy with you and they'll break treaties with you slightly less.

Balthasar Gelt and Volkmar the Grim take the suddenly much more treacherous roads of Wissenland back to Altdorf and Talabecland.

---

The Redhorn Tribe, a merciless band of Beastmen, descend on Eilhart and raze it to the ground, leaving their mark on its ruins with dark totems that spread chaos corruption.

Beastmen have access to different campaign army move stances, one of them is the beast paths. They can move their stacks through impassable terrain like mountains and thick forests in the same way the dwarfs and greenskins can use the underpass. Their main movement stance also puts them in ambush automatically so they're very stealthy. Beastmen hordes in the hands of a player are even harder to catch. The invisibility that comes with their main ambush stance and the mobility of the beast paths make them a lot easier and more fun than Chaos to play.

---

Karaz-a-Karak, the Dwarf capital city and High King Thorgrim Grudgebearer's seat of power.

Karak-a-Karak is completely surrounded by Greenskin tribes and hostile Border Princes, but they're still Strength Rank 4 because most of their territory is farther south in the Badlands. Even though Karaz-a-Karak stands alone, it's a tough nut to crack. It has a special garrison of elite troops and the dwarfs are the strongest faction at siege defense. I lost almost +8,000 troops in a single battle taking Karaz-a-Karak in a past campaign.

---

Greater Sylvania, turn 65

Public order. Most of the province capitals outside of Sylvania itself are still dealing with nearly constant rebellions. There's so many rebellions that I haven't been bothering to show most of them, but killing the rebels and then ransoming them off has been a major source of dark magic. Rebellions aren't always a bad thing, because as long as you fortify your province capitals with a small army or a Ghost Fence, the tier 1 garrison building, you should be able to crush most rebellions. Rebellions will always spawn outside the province capital if you own it, and will build up strength for a few turns before laying siege.

Vampiric corruption.

Chaos corruption.

---

Kislev is a country located to the north-east of the Empire and is separated from the Chaos Wastes to the north by the Troll Country. It is the most northerly civilized nation in the Old World. Its current ruler is the Tzarina Katarin the Ice Queen." Kislev is civilization's first line of defense against Chaos. The Ice Queen and her minions have expanded into the Empire, taking Ostland and northern Ostermark. Kislev doesn't have any flavor, they're just an Empire clone like the Border Princes, Estalia, and Tilea, but there are some good mods that give them all their own unique rosters.

One of the earliest mods added these "bear" cavalry to Kislev, but I'm pretty sure there's been a much better quality Kislev mod released since then.

Two full Kislev armies defend the cursed city of Praag from tribal Varg raiders who are coming from Baersonling's Camp, on the edge of the Chaos Wastes.

---

"The Beastmen are arrayed in their usual fashion - a random collection of hooves and grunts that bear no discernible sense of order - dangerous, yet chaotic. And there is something different about them this time - they hum with an unnatural radiance, shining with an entirely disconcerting power. Yet despite this, Isabella will not allow them to best her. She will drive them back, destroy them, and from their broken bones and bloodied horns discover their secrets!"

The first quest battle in Isabella's chain to get the Blood Chalice of Bathori.

The site of the battle is in Ostermark but for 5000 dark magic you can teleport your lord's army to the site through the Teleport button in the bottom left of the quest battle's box. After the battle, they'll be where they were before, it just saves you from having to walk there if you're too far away.

---

Vlad sets out for the ruins of Helmgart, but in hindsight it might've been better to colonize Eilhart first before the Empire or Artois could take it back for themselves.

---

"Son of the soil, thou art born to labour and to serve, protected by thy betters. Thou shalt give unto thine glorious liege the taxes that he requires. Thou shalt labour all but feast days. And no more than a tenth-share shall you keep for kith and kin. Rejoice! For a Knight of Bretonnia provides your shield."
—Vows of the Peasants unto their Bretonnian Lord

"Bretonnia is a kingdom located in the Old World, west of the Grey Mountains and the Empire. Its current king is Louen Leoncoeur. Carefully protected by its brave and honourable knights, regarded as the greatest in the old world. Bretonnia is a land of chivalry and honour. However this must be balanced against the poverty and oppression of its peasantry."

Taking Helmgart gives the von Carsteins their first border with Bretonnia. The peasants under the boot of the Duchy of Parravon would be much better off under the benevolent protection of the von Carsteins.

---

Isabella who had been on rebel slaughtering duty force marches over to join the breaching of Bretonnia.

Parravon is at war with their treeman neighbor Durthu so they have two armies defending their capital in case the wood elves decide to leave their forest.

To bolster Vlad's army before the assault, a regiment of renown, Verek's Reavers is recruited. Bretonnia's armies are a mix of cavalry and mostly peasant infantry, so an army that's mostly spearmen, heavy cavalry and some wolves like Vlad's is will be able to rampage through Bretonnia.

From atop skeletal mounts, death and destruction are dealt without contrition. Verek's Reavers are a shock cavalry, the RoR version of Black Knights with Barding Lances. They're a shock cavalry that specializes in anti-infantry. Their main advantage over their regular counterpart is they have the regeneration trait, which is a helpful thing for a shock cavalry to have since ideally you want to be charging them in and out to re-up their charge bonus.

---

Central Bretonnia, turn 69.

Before the invasion starts, a gift is given to the Red Duke to improve relations and so he'll expand his army. The great power relations malus has gone up so we had fallen out of favor in his maniacal eyes.

One way to get factions to agree to deals they might otherwise not is to offer to join their wars. At one point, the Red Duke was willing to become a vassal in exchange for joining his wars against Artois and Bordeleaux but that was when the von Carstein armies were nowhere near Bretonnia.

War is declared against Karak Ziflin, Bordeleaux, Carcassone and Parravon.

---

The minor settlement of Montfort is bypassed in favor of attacking Parravon to try to destroy their whole army in one battle.

First, the banshee of Krystiana von Carstein is sent to bring down a part of the walls of Parravon.

---

I probably should've tried to win this battle with just Vlad's army, because having five armies caused some animation stuttering once the battle gets going. I turned it down to high settings when I recorded this to see if that would fix it but it seems like the stuttering is built into the replay now. Usually I run it on ultra graphics but for huge battles in the future I may have to try taking it down to high when I fight the battle. The quality of this one is pretty bad but I wanted to show it anyways since it's the first fight against Bretonnian.

Battle Fifteen - Storming La Maisontaal Abbey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP6vSL9OEPI

They have too many mounted yeomen in their army. They're one of the weakest cavalry in the game, and with all the skeleton spearmen that Vlad has there's no stopping him here as Vlad and the rest run through the gaps in the walls. Their two Grail Reliquae keep them in the fight for a little longer but it's only delaying the inevitable and the abbey is sacked.

---

War is declared on the Redhorn Tribe because it seemed like they were on the verge of annihilation.

---

A von Carstein tries to make a play for power by gathering a force outside Nuln.

A necromancer, Reynald Jaeger, is dispatched to take charge of the dark citadel's defenses.

Something I had forgot or didn't notice happening, but when a rebellion triggers, if they don't think they can overwhelm the city, they'll sit outside raiding. When unrest reaches -100 again, instead of another rebellion forming, it'll give more and better units to the current rebellion. So sitting and waiting for them to attack has caused them to have a massively strong army. The auto-resolve bar puts victory at about a ~5% chance.

Battle Sixteen - Defense of Nuln: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOYqR6atcWo

One thing that's not apparent is that you can click the towers and target individual units or siege equipment. Two towers focus fire on one siege tower to bring it down. If they had both shot at their own siege towers they probably both would've reached the walls, which may have thrown the battle their way. When you upgade the garrison building in provincial capitals, each tier will improve tower projectiles so maybe with a tier II ghost fence they may be able to bring down siege towers alone. When you're on defense, you can see where the enemy deploys before you do, so most of their army was put behind the wall they were focusing on. The grave guard were kept off the wall because they would be at a disadvantage against a group of enemy grave guard coming off a siege tower if they were standing on the ramparts, because the grave guard coming off the siege tower would be bunched up and the grave guard defending the wall would be spread thin. By keeping them right behind the wall, you can order them to attack the grave guard after they jump off the siege tower to get a better engagement. The skeleton spearmen are mostly put behind the gate which is the only way the crypt horrors can go. A crypt ghoul is mixed in to give poison attacks. Without two or three AoE Invocation of Neheks going off on the main group of spearmen behind the gate, they would've been ground into dust by that many crypt horrors. This was the toughest battle so far and easily could've been a defeat and the razing of Nuln. You can't use invocation of nehek on units that are on a wall, so when Reynald Jaeger almost dies to Gregor von Carstein, he goes down to ground level to heal himself then back up to finish Gregor off. Without any healing or leadership, the rebels are brought down.

The necromancer of the hour, Reynald Jaegar, makes a good first impression by winning this battle against all odds. Ending this rebellion gives almost 2,400 dark magic. Typically it's a little less, but this was a supercharged rebellion.

---

The decimated garrison is brushed aside and the capital of Parravon falls to Vlad and Isabella.

The Claw of Nagash, the final regiment of renown is unlocked at level 20. The Claw of Nagash gives off a chilling aura that slows down nearby enemy units.

Montfort is next.

---

The fell bats who spotted what looked like the remnants of the Redhorn Tribe didn't see the rest of the tribe laying in ambush. Hopefully the Wood Elves will deal with them for trespassing on the grounds of the Waterfall Palace.

---

Turn 70 political map. The Empire has moved back into the ruins of Eilhart after the beastmen laid waste to it.

Diplomatic map.

Public order.

Wealth map.

Vampiric corruption.

---

Since the capital of Reikland, Altdorf, is controlled by the Empire, the target of this rebellion could've either been Grunburg or Helmgart. I spent the rest of my dark magic raising up a force at Helmgart but they hit Grunburg instead and razed it.

Not a huge loss in terms of dark magic invested, but now it's up for grabs and the Empire's armies are a short distance away.

---

"Dire tidings from the North!

The tendrils of Chaos writhe and reach out from the accursed wastes, tainting the land and sowing dissent. Their corrupt forces wax ever stronger, and now their agents are abroad, spreading their foul corruption of their malign Gods.

On their heels come bands of marauding warriors led by the most zealous of the Chaos Lords, eager to wreak destruction in the name of the Ruinous Powers. And all the while, ever more warriors flock to some focal point in the Chaos Wastes, a nexus of power which transcends their petty rivalries and impels them to join with the numberless horde.

Doom approaches, and it is only in strength that any hope may be found!"

The first wave of the Chaos Invasion is spotted by a vampire scout. Currently 43 units in total, but the Warriors of Chaos are a horde faction and will set up camp to recruit after they move. The first wave doesn't have any legendary lords, and as the undead you're not automatically at war with them until the real Chaos Invasion starts. But once you're at war with the warriors of Chaos, there's no diplomacy that can be done.

If the forces of Chaos destroy the world, there will be nothing left for Vlad and Isabella to conquer, so they immediately throw their lot in with mankind.

Balthasar Gelt assembles the heroes of the Empire in Altdorf to strike out at the Warriors of Chaos. The decision not to end the Empire when they were down might pay off, or it might backfire in the future, but for now it's good not to have to force the brunt of Chaos alone.

---

"The time is now - Vlad von Carstein must make his move to take Sigmar's throne or claim the lands from any foe - living or immortal - that dares resist the inevitable. The Midnight Aristocracy will rule over all - as Eternal Emperors - immortal Kings that even the Chaos Gods bow to!" By putting the Chaos Gods in their place, Vlad and Isabella will prove to everyone that they're the rightful Emperor and Empress of the Old World.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 21, 2017

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
The Chaos invasions are always a huge roadblock for me as vampires. No stationary targets to attack, a big east-west border they can hit me along, and a foe that's willing to retreat out of your terrain if you bring too much force. Eventually I just started conquering Kislev so I could intercept them at the Wastes and abusing ambush to stop them prancing all over the place.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Colour me as learning something new, I had no idea rebellions got a second pass of units if the province goes under -100 again.

You appear to be somewhat overstretched, but I tend to take the campaign more slowly anyway.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Doopliss posted:

The Chaos invasions are always a huge roadblock for me as vampires. No stationary targets to attack, a big east-west border they can hit me along, and a foe that's willing to retreat out of your terrain if you bring too much force. Eventually I just started conquering Kislev so I could intercept them at the Wastes and abusing ambush to stop them prancing all over the place.

Feeding Kislev large amounts of cash/keeping a trade agreement up/joining in with them against Norscans before they get too big will also help blunt the chaos invasion. If Kislev gets picked apart by the Norscans, there's nothing stopping them from rolling right down to your provinces before you've finished eating the Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I haven't actually played much Warhammer, let alone Total War Warhammer, but the idea of Fantasy Russia allying with vampires because they both just hate Chaos so much amuses me. Needs must, I suppose.

I hope they get the Kislevites a proper appearance in the upcoming game, perhaps as DLC; though I understand people would be more interested in Skaven and lizardmen, I'd still dig some of that fantasy Russian flavor. I want ice witches and hussars and streltsies.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 23, 2017

• Locked thread