Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

R. Guyovich posted:

i don't think so tim

How man levels of irony are you operating on now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Guy Goodbody posted:

How man levels of irony are you operating on now?

i should have said "i don't think so kim." that was a missed opportunity

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
r u in chyna?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

it's apparently a mortal sin for me to do any mod actions on this forum so if an officially sanctioned c-spam hall monitor could probate the poo poo out of this guy that'd be nice

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Muslim-Palestinian-Refugee. I'm going to be an Anthropologist and change the world someday. Leftist 🏳️‍🌈🇵🇸. #FreePalestine #BlackLivesMatter

loving goddamn LOL @ an anthropologist changing poo poo.

If he's lucky he'll wind up in retail like me.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dreddout posted:

Nothing tasty originated in the entirety of the Eastern hemisphere

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_(fruit)

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

hell yeah

Baloogan posted:

r u in chyna?

not yet. paperwork is taking a while

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

it's apparently a mortal sin for me to do any mod actions on this forum so if an officially sanctioned c-spam hall monitor could probate the poo poo out of this guy that'd be nice

you're the guy who claimed that the North Korean government had nothing to do with its tourism program lmao

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Control Volume posted:

Im pretty okay being a little bit more sensitive about bombing than I am about being accused of liking mayonnaise

The mayo thing has always been a jewish plot anyway. Before, white people put butter on their sandwiches. But this isn't kosher soo

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

FuzzySkinner posted:

Do other cultures not use mayonnaise as a condiment?

I swear mexican street corn uses it. (Which is amazing)

Also I've seen claims that "europeans/white people" make non spicy food? I've eaten at Italian, Serbian, Greek hell even German restaurants that use some form of spice in it.

I don't get where these people get their steretypes from.

None of those are white except for Germans. And hell, the Germans didn't even like garlic until the past 40-50 years maybe.

And it originates from the horrible food inherited from the English.

OXBALLS DOT COM has issued a correction as of 18:49 on May 6, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

R. Guyovich posted:

hell yeah

not yet. paperwork is taking a while

My visa took like two months then i had two weeks to enter before it would expire. It was weird and made the flight more expensive. Decent country, but I'm glad I didn't have to stay long.

Fat Doggy needs a diet :(

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

None of those are white except for Germans. And hell, the Germans didn't even like garlic until the past 40-50 years maybe.

And it originates from the horrible food inherited from the English.

Germans were very much involved in helping create sugar via beets and seem to be into things that are much more "sweet" as it were. Also i guess none of my friends were white growing up technically? Huh, Cool. (My friends were all either Italian-American, Serbian-American or Greek-American).

I mean I guess they're just referring to WASP assholes from east coast? I mean that's a common shared hatred from everyone.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Germans were very much involved in helping create sugar via beets and seem to be into things that are much more "sweet" as it were. Also i guess none of my friends were white growing up technically? Huh, Cool. (My friends were all either Italian-American, Serbian-American or Greek-American).

I mean I guess they're just referring to WASP assholes from east coast? I mean that's a common shared hatred from everyone.

kinda, i think its more a midwestern stereotype. or them being stupid, since basically every culture has a native spice of some kind they use

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Agean90 posted:

kinda, i think its more a midwestern stereotype. or them being stupid, since basically every culture has a native spice of some kind they use

i'm doing my best to understand the MTV/Buzz feed mindset on this stuff, and it's a tad confusing.

My intent is not to go "LOL! SJW FAIL! LOSERS!", but rather to be confused as to why this is kind of a phenomenon right now. Example? Why do they seem to group a general population as a whole together, target them, rather than people who are in control of institutes of power?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i think mayo is satan's condiment. go mustard or go home

Guy Goodbody posted:

Mayonnaise is super popular in Japan. People try to make mayonnaise a white people insult, but Japanese people will put mayonnaise on plain white rice
japanese culture is 90% borrowed from other cultures. imperial japan modeled their army after prussia and their navy after britain. tea gardens came from china and baseball came from the US. it's the prime example of how keeping cultures "pure" is a crock of poo poo
nice thicc woofer

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

FuzzySkinner posted:

i'm doing my best to understand the MTV/Buzz feed mindset on this stuff, and it's a tad confusing.

My intent is not to go "LOL! SJW FAIL! LOSERS!", but rather to be confused as to why this is kind of a phenomenon right now. Example? Why do they seem to group a general population as a whole together, target them, rather than people who are in control of institutes of power?

Because they identify as elites and all those "independent" outlets are based in the same few places, run by the same type of people, and influenced/run by the same handful of powerful PR firms. The industry as a whole is incestuous, consolidated, and they straight-up collaborate with each other and with powerful elites to manufacture a consensus

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Because they identify as elites and all those "independent" outlets are based in the same few places, run by the same type of people, and influenced/run by the same handful of powerful PR firms. The industry as a whole is incestuous, consolidated, and they straight-up collaborate with each other and with powerful elites to manufacture a consensus

"Merchants of Cool" comes to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9elU-EOEUXE

I am wondering if somewhere along the line a lot of rich kids who's parents worked within those company's were able to land internships, paid work in those company and kinda mold Social Justice into a "brand", rather than the struggle faced by millions in the US.

e2: This seems to have happened in a lot of the entertainment world. It killed rock radio, MTV, and this sort of "focus group/brand" culture mixed with nepotism really has kinda hurt culture in a lot of ways.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's no accident that almost all the young faces in the media these days come from the same elite colleges and universities

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Chile has the third highest consumption of mayonnaise per capita in the world

whoa

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Buca di Bepis posted:

you're the guy who claimed that the North Korean government had nothing to do with its tourism program lmao

nah i said independent tour groups work with the government's tourism board which is a far cry from the "total control by officers from the department of propaganda" narrative that gets spun, meme name man

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

it's no accident that almost all the young faces in the media these days come from the same elite colleges and universities

This may sound like an rear end in a top hat thing to say, but I think a lot of those kids never had to focus their major on something in the same way a lot of "normal" college kids had to.

A guy or girl coming from some middle of the road midwestern town has to focus their degree on something that would be in Business, Accounting, Nursing, or what have you because they do not have the nepotism to turn a BS in "Social Justice Studies" into something that would be worthwhile money wise.

Those kids also rarely had to face a lot of the rejections, or struggles that the above did.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

there isn't a BS in social justice studies lol

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I think you guys are focusing maybe too much on the reporter level, many of whom aren't that well educated, when woke as a brand is mostly from marketing folks higher up. Any media org is gonna have more bullshit the higher up the chain you go, like any company.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

an actual dog posted:

there isn't a BS in social justice studies lol

Actually a lot of top ivy universities do in fact have degrees like that, or similar "design your own" degrees. Because the name and connections from the school is enough to get you a job even with a ridiculous looking title on your diploma.

I know plenty of English and World Affairs majors pulling down 6-7 figures in finance and business.

Oh wait i just got your joke. Yes it is BS but technically it's a BA

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

R. Guyovich posted:

nah i said independent tour groups work with the government's tourism board which is a far cry from the "total control by officers from the department of propaganda" narrative that gets spun, meme name man

You never answered my question if there are any other countries where tourists have to be accompanied by government-approved guides.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
In the developed world you can study whatever the gently caress you want, because you won't be laden with debt.

I have an MA in English literature, best choice I ever made, and whoa get this, I don't live on the streets. Do what you love, because you only live once my friends.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Guy Goodbody posted:

You never answered my question if there are any other countries where tourists have to be accompanied by government-approved guides.

Didn't you know? North Korea is a vacationers paradise. The guard is just there to make sure you see the best parts! (and also ti imprison you in a labor camp randomly)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
north korea is the greatest troll nation on earth becuz it sends every idiot into a tizzy every time they do something. liberals and conservatives cant help but trip over themselves talking about how bad and evil north korea is. i love north korea.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

This may sound like an rear end in a top hat thing to say, but I think a lot of those kids never had to focus their major on something in the same way a lot of "normal" college kids had to.

A guy or girl coming from some middle of the road midwestern town has to focus their degree on something that would be in Business, Accounting, Nursing, or what have you because they do not have the nepotism to turn a BS in "Social Justice Studies" into something that would be worthwhile money wise.

Those kids also rarely had to face a lot of the rejections, or struggles that the above did.
it doesn't matter whether you sound like an rear end in a top hat saying that because you're absolutely right. fwiw i don't think you sounded like an rear end in a top hat with this post

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Not really woke, but, uhh...

https://www.amazon.com/Smiffys-World-Evacuee-Costume-Dress/dp/B004CWAZIE/

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Guy Goodbody posted:

i didn't answer because i don't know

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

oliwan posted:

In the developed world you can study whatever the gently caress you want, because you won't be laden with debt.

I have an MA in English literature, best choice I ever made, and whoa get this, I don't live on the streets. Do what you love, because you only live once my friends.

The developed world exists at the sufferance of America so I'm pretty comfortable here in the heartland with my STEM degree.

I can read books on my own time

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

it doesn't matter whether you sound like an rear end in a top hat saying that because you're absolutely right. fwiw i don't think you sounded like an rear end in a top hat with this post

It's something that's more about class, and less about race.

Rich entitled assholes are going to act like that regardless of what color their skin is. One might get stopped by the cops more for driving their BMW in their 'burbs, but that's a worlds difference than worrying about whether you're going to find work or find food even.

I appreciate those words btw. :)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/861220105845428224

lol at all the whiny redhatters in this thread. all you need to do to go to college is tweet at your favorite celebrity and provide proof!

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

fits my needs posted:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/861220105845428224

lol at all the whiny redhatters in this thread. all you need to do to go to college is tweet at your favorite celebrity and provide proof!

As a serious note, if she's actually doing that, it's really cool of her. Allowing poor people to reach for higher education without getting them foreverially delitized w/ a tongue made out of student loans is a mindset I almost never see from the wealthy class, not without some strings attached.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

loving Channel 19.

They were always well behind WJW, WKYC and WEWS. They became a station in 1985 while the others have existed since at least the 50's. They even got their Fox affliation nabbed from them as a result of the NFC package going to Fox. (WJW, who's actually well thought of locally grabbed it from them).

Then the Browns left, The AFC package went back to CBS and they still pull this tabloid level sensationalism to grab viewers to their news programs.

sorry for the local cleveland rant there. But man this isn't the first time they've pulled this poo poo.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

tbf that's an actual thing that happened in a portland (oregon, natch) public school. it's a stupid thing for a local news channel to cover, i'll grant you that

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

tbf that's an actual thing that happened in a portland (oregon, natch) public school. it's a stupid thing for a local news channel to cover, i'll grant you that

It's just a garbage station, and it's pretty par for the course.

https://twitter.com/liberalism_txt/status/861446591739297794

On another note.

(serious post)

I kinda wonder if social justice becoming this sort of fad/fashion statement is going to continue to cause more backlash? We could be seeing this sort of centrist, portraitist version of "social justice" dying off in the near future.

I kinda struggle to think how the :911: people will tolerate very much more of this. This isn't just a thought that rural whites will go "gently caress this poo poo", but I also wonder if we'll see various groups these people are advocating for get tired of the preachiness and lack of entertainment coming from these people. I imagine for most :911:'s they like the idea of shutting their brains off for a few hours, and not to be preached to on a nightly basis.

(I do think we'll see sincere lefty's sprout up from what has happened over this time period, but it will not be from the crop of people using social justice as their own personal fashion statement. )

e: Oh my god. If you want cancer? Read this loving article.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/05/07/mtv-trolls-trump-s-america-with-the-wokest-award-show-ever

FuzzySkinner has issued a correction as of 06:25 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we tried to warn you.