Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
People who all crowd in the doorway of the loving L Train or Subway car or Bus. Motherfucker move down. Or people who try to get on the L without letting people get off first. Then you ask them to move down and they look at you like you asked for their kidney or first born child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I never imagined someone lying about food allergies because they disliked something about a meal. Who the hell does that? How hard is it to say "I don't care for X, is there something you would recommend?" to a server? Most restaurants offer enough options nowadays that most folks can find something they'll eat on a menu.

The same people that call it food poisoning when they go to Golden Coral and eat two pounds of soft serve ice cream.

:patriot:

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Catberry posted:

Micro$oft

On topic.

People who use the word "food poisoning" instead of "the runs" or "a stomach ache"

Like when a guy goes to a buffet and eats a mountain of fried chicken and then gets the runs an hour later. So he goes to the review page and accuses them of giving him food poisoning (pretty drat serious accusations).

If two days later you can't get out of bed and it's running out of both ends. Then you might have food poisoning.

This is an awful one, too. "I left your restaurant and 2 hours later I was on the toilet, you gave me food poisoning!" Food poisoning generally takes 36-72 hours to incubate, chances are, if it actually is food poisoning, it was from the chicken you cooked 2 days ago that you left in the sink over night and all day when you were at work to thaw.

I worked in Yellowstone for a while, at one point my boss's boss sent me an email that he received, just an absolute insulting attack on how our breakfast buffet gave this person food poisoning. And they knew it was our restaurant, "because we cooked our other meals in our campground ourselves." So you think it is more likely that a crew of professional cooks, who need to go through food safety training and are in a sanitary and incredibly regulated environment, are more likely to improperly prepare and/or handle your food than yourself preparing food outside without any sort of refrigeration, and running water a solid hike away? I explained that to the boss who forwarded me the email, and luckily we had pretty stringent tempurature logs where we made sure the buffet was at proper sercing temp every hour during service (which is way more frequently than required by law/necessary). That and none of the other 272 people who ate the same food from the same buffet that morning got sick, if a buffet is contaminated by some sort of foodborn illness it tends to result in a major outbreak.

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
People who cannot admit when they have made a mistake. Why is it so hard to just say "Oh my bad" and go on instead of making excuses.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I once got the angry death glare from a waitress behind the counter of a bar a friend and I went to once, the entire time I was there.

I asked him to watch her when I went to check on something on the other side of the bar, and he confirmed that she was glaring at me the whole time.

I didn't think I was that ugly, but there you go.

I always figure a lot of the time this happens they're either trying to figure out if you're a different person that they know or they've already mistaken you for that person

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
I work small retail, and we use Square so we don't print a receipt unless someone requests it.
It absolutely drives me crazy when someone spends like $3.50 in cash and then wants a printed receipt. I can't explain why, maybe just because I know that I'm creating completely unnecessary trash most of the time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always get reciepts, even for small purchases, because I pay entirely by card so it helps me budget (some transactions don't update on the bank statements until the next day, causing inconsistencies.).

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Catberry posted:

I've heard a lot about "we didn't use to have so many allergies back when"

Yeah you did. But a child that was allergic or had a strong intolerance to things like potatoes, wheat or dairy was just "That sickly/weak kid who died one winter"

Just like they probably had as much cancer back then as we do now. But instead of grandpa having headaches for a few years before dying peacefully in his chair one evening. He might get another 10-20 years with a proper diagnosis.
That's an interesting hypothesis, but we didn't jump straight from Little House on the Prairie to "PB&J in schools will kill Timmy." We had quite a few decades with a more or less modern rate of childhood mortality but also without food allergies being common.

quote:

Self-reported peanut allergy has doubled among children from 1997 to 2002, and peanut allergies, TN allergies, or both continue to be reported by more than 3 million Americans
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14657884

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 20:19 on May 7, 2017

vdarknight
Jul 4, 2007

Catberry posted:

I've heard a lot about "we didn't use to have so many allergies back when"

Yeah you did. But a child that was allergic or had a strong intolerance to things like potatoes, wheat or dairy was just "That sickly/weak kid who died one winter"

Just like they probably had as much cancer back then as we do now. But instead of grandpa having headaches for a few years before dying peacefully in his chair one evening. He might get another 10-20 years with a proper diagnosis.

In the same vein as this - Autistic people. "Oh, it's all the vaccines making these things happen."

Nope. They were there, but, back then, they were just the weird kids. Honestly, there are acquaintances who I can now see had issues with understanding people and interacting with them, but simply stood out as being odd. If the poor bastards were particularly peculiar, then we probably wouldn't see them again, 'cepting through the window of the bus that took them somewhere.

Which is one of my annoyances at the moment - people who freak about behavourial oddities in an obnoxious manner, despite the fact that we all know about them and understand that the people who are dealing their issues aren't doing it for attention and would rather not have them. Some people have poo poo to deal with from birth. If you don't, then have the grace to not be rude to the poor sods who have a lovely deal. They're not deaf, nor stupid - just trying to get by. I'm the oval office who will call you on it, 'cos I'm a oval office. That's due to me being council estate scum with a sense of the right thing to do. Don't like it? gently caress you.

veni veni veni posted:

Also saying autism is on the rise when it really just used to be that higher functioning autistic people would just be "weird" or whatever and lower functioning people would be in state institutions so no one ever saw them.

Yeah, this. But nicer than I was. Bollocks.

I do try to read the thread but sometimes I get annoyed.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Strangers making some smarmy as gently caress but disguised as friendly remarks about something I'm doing that they wouldn't do.

Example: One evening I hiked up a mountain to watch the sunset with my husband and brother in law, we hiked down in the dark. I slipped on a slimy root and fell, twisting my knee. BIL developed a big blister on his foot too. We had booked a hotel room that night with the intention of hiking another mountain the next day. Since two of us were sore, we opted for the granniest of granny trails instead. Like, this walk was maybe 2km and mostly flat or boardwalks around a couple small lakes at the bottom of the vertical cliff of the mountain we were up the night before. The only elevation gain has stairs built in.

So we decide to get coffees at McDonald's beforehand and take them with us, since they're east to carry when you're not on a real hike.

Some guy sees us and says "Wow, you guys must REALLY be addicted to coffee to bring those hiking!" I found it pretty obnoxious, so I pointed at the summit looming 800m above us and said "This isn't a hike, that's a hike, we were up there just last night."

I'm just not a fan of lovely half-insulting jokes.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Picnic Princess posted:

Strangers making some smarmy as gently caress but disguised as friendly remarks about something I'm doing that they wouldn't do.

Example: One evening I hiked up a mountain to watch the sunset with my husband and brother in law, we hiked down in the dark. I slipped on a slimy root and fell, twisting my knee. BIL developed a big blister on his foot too. We had booked a hotel room that night with the intention of hiking another mountain the next day. Since two of us were sore, we opted for the granniest of granny trails instead. Like, this walk was maybe 2km and mostly flat or boardwalks around a couple small lakes at the bottom of the vertical cliff of the mountain we were up the night before. The only elevation gain has stairs built in.

So we decide to get coffees at McDonald's beforehand and take them with us, since they're east to carry when you're not on a real hike.

Some guy sees us and says "Wow, you guys must REALLY be addicted to coffee to bring those hiking!" I found it pretty obnoxious, so I pointed at the summit looming 800m above us and said "This isn't a hike, that's a hike, we were up there just last night."

I'm just not a fan of lovely half-insulting jokes.

Yeah, the only time I go for the half-insulting jokes is when I do it against myself.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I never imagined someone lying about food allergies because they disliked something about a meal. Who the hell does that? How hard is it to say "I don't care for X, is there something you would recommend?" to a server? Most restaurants offer enough options nowadays that most folks can find something they'll eat on a menu.

Doesn't really apply to restaurants but I've found that whenever you're offered something with X and you say "oh no thanks I don't like X" it's about a half hour of "you really should try it" and "you can pick X out". (I don't go the "I'm allergic to X" route I usually just curse, leave and go to Hesburger.)

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I'm in Puerto Rico at my in-laws' place right now, and here it's incredibly common for vehicles to drive by BLASTING advertisements at deafening levels. Much louder than any loud music from a car. So loud that I can clearly hear them inside, with doors closed and AC units running, and the TV on.

Apparently these vehicles are hired to drive around all day playing advertisements for businesses.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008
People that cannot grasp the fact they have neighbors in an apartment complex. Yes, please, blast your stereo out of your open top jeep every time you come home. Slam all the cabinets. Instead of setting things down, drop them. Goddamn.

Of course it doesn't help that the walls and floors are tissue paper, but come on. How hard is it to close a cabinet or drawer rather than slamming it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kreyla posted:

People that cannot grasp the fact they have neighbors in an apartment complex. Yes, please, blast your stereo out of your open top jeep every time you come home. Slam all the cabinets. Instead of setting things down, drop them. Goddamn.

Of course it doesn't help that the walls and floors are tissue paper, but come on. How hard is it to close a cabinet or drawer rather than slamming it?

Those dampers you can get for furniture are pretty great and should be mandatory on new installations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Any time you posit two possibilities and the other person always goes, "both!"
Haha yeah okay, funny joke. Seriously, though.
"BOTH! HAR HAR HAR"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
English should have a separate word for inclusive vs exclusive or. Sometimes the options really are "a", "b", or "a and b" and there's no clear, concise way to distinguish the two in english. ("and/or" is super awkward imo)

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Those dampers you can get for furniture are pretty great and should be mandatory on new installations.

The cabinets all came with those little jelly dots to soften the closures... But brute force still makes them loud. My favorite is the upstairs neighbor dropping the toilet seat rather than setting it down. CLUNK

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

kreyla posted:

I had the opposite issue, a kid (20-23 I'd guess) who lived downstairs for me left a note on my door this past winter that we were "clomping around" before the sun came up in the morning, and if we could please avoid doing that until after 9. He hoped we would be more considerate in the future. I work at 6am, and wake up between 5-5:15, and try to be out the door before 5:45, I have a minimal routine in the morning.

My girlfriend is still asleep so no one's talking, and I do my best to make as little noise as possible so as not to wake her up. I don't wear shoes in the apartment, and have a carpeted floor. There are wooden stairs down to the parking lot, and I walk down them, I dunno, normally. It's not like I'm tiptoeing down them, but I'm certainly not bounding down the stairs at that hour. It was winter, so I started my car and had an extra trip up and down the stairs.

So it's kind of a similarly​ worded annoyance, but the opposite problem: someone who doesn't understand they have neighbors, separate people from themselves who operate their lives on their own schedule. Sorry, kid, you picked (or your parents picked) a downstairs apartment, there will be movement above you sometimes. I'm not going to refrain from warming up my car during Montana winter when it's usually below 0F before the sun is up because you're a light sleeper and too much of a pussy to handle incredibly mild noise.

Although what pissed me off the most about that situation is that we had just met him the day before. Shook hands, did the neighborly greeting, told him if he needed anything don't be afraid to ask. The note said that the "issue had been going on for weeks" and this bitch didn't say anything to my face. Just opted for the passive aggressive note option.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kreyla posted:

The cabinets all came with those little jelly dots to soften the closures... But brute force still makes them loud. My favorite is the upstairs neighbor dropping the toilet seat rather than setting it down. CLUNK

No I mean the proper ones. They make it almost impossible to close the doors or drawers loudly.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I recently moved from a house to an apartment and I forgot how much I missed hearing the general sounds of other people.
Aside from my young, obnoxious neighbor it's been okay this time.

One thing I hate is living in a complex and people hang out outside all the time.
Near my front door is a group of 2-6 old gross dudes who just sit on the curb and smoke. Sometimes they yell at each other but most of the time they are just wasting away.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Inzombiac posted:

I recently moved from a house to an apartment and I forgot how much I missed hearing the general sounds of other people.
Aside from my young, obnoxious neighbor it's been okay this time.

One thing I hate is living in a complex and people hang out outside all the time.
Near my front door is a group of 2-6 old gross dudes who just sit on the curb and smoke. Sometimes they yell at each other but most of the time they are just wasting away.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

I don't know, having Hank Hill as a neighbor would be very useful. You got any kind of home or yard issues, I bet he'd be over asap to help, even if it was just to show you how bad you were at mowing the grass. Dale would be easy to deal with too, just let slip you work undercover and watch him stay dead silent around you.

I really don't like when people ask me why I am not going back to school. I don't know, I have other forms of debt to drag me down? The economy is never that safe? A degree may or may not help me at all?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Less loveable simpletons and more meth-mouthed wannabe rap stars.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

kreyla posted:

I got one of those. I rent out an apartment in my wooden house and a friend asked if his son could have it. It was a huge favor really because the son is a recovering meth addict who has been homeless for a few years.

This guy is the neighbor from hell. He wears his shoes indoors like some animal so it's just clunking sounds all day. He sleeps during the day and is up during the night. Spontaneous vacuuming or sorting of aluminum cans in the middle of the night is a common occurrence. That or he just moans/groans/howls/giggles for 13 hours straight.

Meth turned him from a family father of two with a job to loving Gollum. He talks to himself, argues with himself. He mumbles, growls and loving skulks. His default method of transportation is skulking. Even if he isn't up to anything.

He smokes on the balcony and then throws his cigarette buds on the lawn and in the flower beds. And when I tell him to stop and just use an ashtray he denies that it's him. Motherfucker there's only two of us living here and I don't smoke.

I'm about to start the process of evicting him and this is going to get pretty nasty. He is physically harmless but a complete animal besides.

Thankfully he was generous enough to mismanage paying his rent so I can evict him after 3 weeks rather than 3 months.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I hate when people post fake news headlines or articles in the Funny News Headlines thread. It's not funny if an alligator eats a naked nun if it's not real! The only humor that exists in 99% of the titles is the absurdity of them actually being a thing or a legit mistype or something. You can tell fake news sites pretty much immediately.

That sort of thing wouldn't piss me off so much if it wasn't like every third one posted and the fact that the OP is to blame for most of them

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mullitt posted:

I work small retail, and we use Square so we don't print a receipt unless someone requests it.
It absolutely drives me crazy when someone spends like $3.50 in cash and then wants a printed receipt. I can't explain why, maybe just because I know that I'm creating completely unnecessary trash most of the time.

I usually don't get a receipt unless I know I'm going to visit another store that sells similar stuff and is likely to do a bag check.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Which stores do bag checks? The last time I saw it was in a CompUSA store and those closed down in like 2006.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mu Zeta posted:

Which stores do bag checks? The last time I saw it was in a CompUSA store and those closed down in like 2006.

It still happens here in Australia occasionally

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008

om nom nom posted:

Delicate flower neighbor

Sup fellow Montana goon :)

I don't care if it's normal morning noise, just don't get why everything needs to be done with a BANG. I thought the upstairs couple had a giant spider on the loose last week that they were trying to stomp. Turns out they were tenderizing chicken.

At least I don't have a methhead gargoyle neighbor like Catberry.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
Smacking or otherwise making noise when they eat. One of my coworkers will smack her lips while eating pretty much anything, and I just want to loving taze her. She pops gum, loudly cracks seeds, basically if it's going in her mouth it's going to make a lot of noise. She could make marshmallows noisy.

People who fall asleep in public places and snore loudly. It should be legal to throw things into their open mouths.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

metztli posted:

People who fall asleep in public places and snore loudly. It should be legal to throw things into their open mouths.

How very elitist of you.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

kreyla posted:

Sup fellow Montana goon :)

I don't care if it's normal morning noise, just don't get why everything needs to be done with a BANG. I thought the upstairs couple had a giant spider on the loose last week that they were trying to stomp. Turns out they were tenderizing chicken.

At least I don't have a methhead gargoyle neighbor like Catberry.

Gargoyle is loving right. When I told him I was ending his rental contract. He responded by pushing half his furniture down the stairs to form a barrier against the door. He then climbs around it to get in and out. Not that anyone wants to go in there anyway. Maybe it was just some methhead principle thing.

I don't really see the point. There are no drugs to be had anywhere in this municipality (small farming community) So he has to take a 60 KM buss trip to get any. The day his contract expires and he is out. I'll change the lock and then order in a container to throw his stuff in and then send it off to be burnt.

Catberry has a new favorite as of 14:39 on May 8, 2017

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

kreyla posted:

I love it when my landlord, who lives downstairs from me, stays up till two n the morning watching TV in the room just below mine. I already have trouble sleeping. Cut it out! With any luck though my footsteps sound like an elephant's so we're even.

Today's complaint: who is setting the chairs at work at the highest possible height? I had to jump a bit to get my butt on the front desk chair this morning and I'm not short.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

trickybiscuits posted:

Today's complaint: who is setting the chairs at work at the highest possible height? I had to jump a bit to get my butt on the front desk chair this morning and I'm not short.

I don't know if it's the cleaning staff or if there are some kind of global office poltergeists that like to screw with people, but I swear almost every office I've worked in it feels like the height of my chair is not only always being changed, but they also change it from the no-recline mode to recline, so as soon as I sit down I almost fall over backwards.

Never touch another person's office chair even if they aren't there, it's not hard people.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have the opposite problem - I prefer to have my seat higher so that my knees are at a 90 degree angle (I had back pain due to bad posture), but everyone else bumps their chairs down to the lowest possible setting. Some of them are fairly tall, they just like to stretch their legs as far as possible I guess.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I apparently missed a meeting this morning already. Now, I don't know who this chucklefuck is, I don't think I've spoken more than three words to them in the past eight months, but I'm a bit annoyed that I missed this meeting invite and blew it off entirely by accident rather than accepting and telling them exactly what I thought of their plan of scheduling a meeting with no agenda or plan for 7:30 AM on a Monday at four PM on Friday.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
People who talk on the phone in the doctor's waiting room. Lady, I don't care about your daughter's baby shower or what color you are painting your bedroom... Go somewhere else to have your private conversation!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Smoking indoors. I get that my family's under stress because the family patriarch just passed. His house was a smoke-free zone while he was alive. I feel physically ill and like my collective family's disrespecting my grandfather's house and former belongings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Never touch another person's office chair even if they aren't there, it's not hard people.

In one of my previous office jobs they didn't have enough desks for everyone and since I was the last guy hired I was designated hotdesker. Every morning I had to find out who had called in sick and use their desk for the day and since my back isn't in great I usually had to adjust their seat and I quite often had to adjust the height of the desk as well. (The desks were adjustable so people had set them to all sorts of different heights.) I'm pretty sure everyone hated my guts because of that but it's not like I had a choice, if I tried sitting in an incorrectly adjusted chair for 8 hours I'd be hosed. This went on for months and months.
It wasn't a small office either, it was a huge building with at least 200 people on that floor alone but for some reason they couldn't organise one more desk and computer for the new guy.

• Locked thread