Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

D1E posted:

I mean, unless you're waiting for Star Citizen.

In which case :lol:

Speaking of star citizen I have a copy of Eve Valkyrie founders edition for sale.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819641

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Tested put up a discussion of From other suns, which sounds like Rec Room Jumbotron x 100, but they've got a review of Wilson's Heart and Jeremy is pretty down on it. His criticisms are pretty fair in that the game plays itself a lot, but I kind of enjoyed that about it since it kept things moving. The game only seemed like a problem when I had a hard time figuring out the combat parts. It's sort of in a game/interactive movie limbo and YMMV about that aspect, but it's far and away the best realized narrative anything in VR, and I enjoyed the bravado of it especially towards the end.

I'd played Starseed again before it and that has not aged well IMO.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
I can only play Wilsons Heart in short stints before pussying out. Game is going to last me a year.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
What's the current status on omni directional treadmills? Is anyone bringing one to market?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

There were a few people developing them, but the only one I know of that's borne fruit so far is the Virtuix Omni, which is currently being marketed for commercial sale rather than personal (though there are some in private hands).

I would not expect wide support if you do manage to lay hands one one.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

What's the current status on omni directional treadmills? Is anyone bringing one to market?

Lots of work to be done still. The wire becomes a huge pain, and I still don't know how to get past the "can't crouch to pick something up" mini-boss

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Can any of the treadmills simulate different gradients? Maybe you could make it so faster or longer strides are required for the same progress on an uphill or something. I guess ultimately you could have it provide variable resistance to the players movements like a running machine.

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 7, 2017

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Omni-directional treadmills are a great solution for the locomotion problem. Unfortunately, no-one has space in their homes so there's no way they'll ever become a mass-market consumer product and therefore cheap and advanced enough for plebs like myself. I guess we're going to have to wait till our brains are jacked into a computer to have full presence.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Picked up Soundboxing today, and I'll just say I'm glad I bought the VR Cover replacements. :sweatdrop:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^same. Also a lot of the beatmaps are pretty poo poo I found. Gonna have to go in with some of the goon recommendations from upthread next time.
How does the search feature actually work? Can you type? Didn't see a cursor or anything. Trying to voice search just didn't seem to do anything.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

El Grillo posted:

^^same. Also a lot of the beatmaps are pretty poo poo I found. Gonna have to go in with some of the goon recommendations from upthread next time.
How does the search feature actually work? Can you type? Didn't see a cursor or anything. Trying to voice search just didn't seem to do anything.

Voice search works for me but it has a couple of seconds lag on it

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Needs to be a filter toggle for anime and video game songs. Tried scrolling through favorites, and it's literally 5 pages of anime for every 1 normal song.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

El Grillo posted:

Voice search is garbage. Searching for challenges is easily the weakest feature of the game.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Exioce posted:

Omni-directional treadmills are a great solution for the locomotion problem. Unfortunately, no-one has space in their homes so there's no way they'll ever become a mass-market consumer product and therefore cheap and advanced enough for plebs like myself. I guess we're going to have to wait till our brains are jacked into a computer to have full presence.

If people are setting up dedicated room-scale spaces (10x12 seemed about average for Vive) then I think they have room for a treadmill. I have a VR permanent dedicated 10x10 room-scale space and my place isn't even that even considered big by American suburb standards at ~1300 sq ft.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Looks like PULSAR: Lost colony is on sale again, I picked it up for $12 even if it'll end up being inferior to that ubisoft star trek game, I can probably get enough fun out of it for it to be worthwhile.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Stick100 posted:

If people are setting up dedicated room-scale spaces (10x12 seemed about average for Vive) then I think they have room for a treadmill. I have a VR permanent dedicated 10x10 room-scale space and my place isn't even that even considered big by American suburb standards at ~1300 sq ft.

Yes but you are going to have this big thing sitting in that space that you now have to worry about. An empty space used for VR can also be used for all sorts of other things when it isn't being used for VR. A omni-directional treadmill can't. Plus an empty room is much cheaper than an empty room plus a treadmill.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

mobby_6kl posted:

So, ugh, I think we all dodged a bullet with this guy.

Jesus, that guy has the confidence that only $700m can buy. He's a doofus but he pretty much willed working virtual reality into existence so I don't really care if Facebook Is Bad or he Voted Trump or whatever else. I probably use lots of products every day from companies spearhead by dicks, and few if any of those products are as cool as working goddamn VR.

As evidenced by this photo, at least he is clearly enjoying his pile of gently caress-off buyout dollars unlike Notch, who sits at home in a mansion Jay-Z wanted and writes about how life is, like, so hard with $2bn.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Considering all the support lately I think I'm gonna make that Soundboxing thread. Everyone list their top three songs for me to add to the OP!

Also any songs they created themselves.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

bloodysabbath posted:

As evidenced by this photo, at least he is clearly enjoying his pile of gently caress-off buyout dollars unlike Notch, who sits at home in a mansion Jay-Z wanted and writes about how life is, like, so hard with $2bn.

Notch seems alright. He's had a hard time as he knows he'll never be able to replicate his previous success. I find his twitter rantings often hilarious. Different people do different things. But yeah right there with you, thank you Palmer for getting this thing off the ground, I really don't care about your personal life.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
You guys do know that he doesn't read something awful dot com right?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

KakerMix posted:

Yes but you are going to have this big thing sitting in that space that you now have to worry about. An empty space used for VR can also be used for all sorts of other things when it isn't being used for VR. A omni-directional treadmill can't. Plus an empty room is much cheaper than an empty room plus a treadmill.

Not necessarily, it looks like the upper part of the Omni can be removed, and the rest can slide under a futon. Unless it's 200 lbs, people can pull it out for VR and put it away afterwards.

I slide a futon out of the way each time I go into VR (2-4x week) and it's no hassle for me.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Exioce posted:

People with walking VR setups already have to make space for that, the treadmill could probably just fit there.

Besides, some people still put actual treadmills in their home. Or entire home gym setups. This is about the same size, and might even hit a similar market mindset (notice all the quasi-fitness VR apps we've been discussing)

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
A treadmill seems awful for VR, you are stuck at one place and you can't prone, also it always takes space, not only when you whip out your Vive.

I dunno, maybe it's good but I don't see it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Not having prone just means there's 1 thing less to bind in games, tbh.

vvvv: I, too, liked it when rich people donated money to Goebbels.

Truga fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 8, 2017

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Truga posted:

Not having prone just means there's 1 thing less to bind in games, tbh.

Not sure what you mean.

Anyway, Palmer is shaping up to be one of my favorite millionaires, I hope he continues to troll the media and just lives up his money in entertaining ways.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Like hey I'm all about bleeding edge of tech but from my point of view a VR only peripheral that's as large as the Omni is a completely dead market with nowhere to go. An actual real flat multi directional treadmill for amusement parks and arcades and other commercial applications with specially developed software is one thing, but things like the Omni have such a vanishingly tiny market possibility that their support will always be on the mod side of things.
Like it's hard enough to get VR games to support free direction movement at all, and that's with the hardware everyone already has.
Comparing futons and traditional treadmills is pretty laffo though. It's way more than size.

As for Palmer he'll be forgotten soon enough. He's no Zuckerberg or Bezos.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
If they by some magic develop a "Hides Under Your Bed!™" technology that folds it up I would strongly consider some sort of omni-treadmill but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Then again that's what I thought of wireless VR. :shrug:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Zsinjeh posted:

If they by some magic develop a "Hides Under Your Bed!™" technology

Don't put me out of work

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The omni seems great for the market they've decided to focus on: Chinese VR arcades. I will admit that if I had a place to put one and the spare cash I'd look into getting one for Vorpx or seated games.

I've been thinking about getting a cable boom for my headset cables. Has anyone tried that? Any recommendations? Should I just wait for the wireless adapters to hit the market?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

bloodysabbath posted:

I don't really care if Facebook Is Bad or he Voted Trump or whatever else. I probably use lots of products every day from companies spearhead by dicks, and few if any of those products are as cool as working goddamn VR.

If I could trade the existence of VR for Trump not being elected I'd do it in a heartbeat. In just a heartbeat. And I love VR.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I played Holodance briefly yesterday - I am too caught up in Prey right now to spend too much time with other games. But I have to say that of Soundboxing, Audioshield, and Holodance, HD definitely has the best beatmatching. The precision on the tap mechanic to the songs is absolutely perfect, and it has an interesting mechanic with timing as well. The story mode dragons looks lame, and the included music is pretty blah, but it shines in that it includes osu! support. There are literally over 547 beatmap packs on https://osu.ppy.sh/p/packlist and so you can have thousands upon thousands of tracks perfectly mapped to the beat to play with.

The couple osu songs I played were pretty tough, because they include additional mechanics like tapping then dragging the notes in different directions, but they all seemed to have multiple levels of difficulty in the beatmap file itself.

I would rate it recommended as well.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I've used vr three times in the last few months and each time my friends gotten a better video or game to try out. First was the intro video with the trex, then the little flying robot 3d printing game... and now robo recall.

Holy poo poo Robo Recall was overwhelming (ly fun) in a good way for the 20 or so minutes I played. If only I could get my hands on an occulus. I'm going back to his place today to mess with it, anything else extremely amazing we should get?

Also this may be a TCC question but has anyone tried hallucinogens and VR? Fractals could be heavy

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Holy poo poo Robo Recall was overwhelming (ly fun) in a good way for the 20 or so minutes I played. If only I could get my hands on an occulus. I'm going back to his place today to mess with it, anything else extremely amazing we should get?
Mission ISS is real neato, google earth, pavlov vr, soundboxing, subnautica are my current favorites, you should also try gorn if you haven't.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

AgentF posted:

If I could trade the existence of VR for Trump not being elected I'd do it in a heartbeat. In just a heartbeat. And I love VR.

I wouldn't trade the existence of VR for Trump not being elected. I doubt Trump has affected your day to day life in any way, and this is just another knee jerk goony reaction. You'll have the opportunity to vote Trump out of office in 4 years. Unless the democrats completely gently caress this up, I doubt Trump will have a second term.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 8, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Ah, my "lovely Unrelated Arguments Simulator" is working perfectly. It's like I'm really on a different subforum!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Lemming posted:

Ah, my "lovely Unrelated Arguments Simulator" is working perfectly. It's like I'm really on a different subforum!

Holy gently caress where did it come from though?

Fredrik1 posted:

A treadmill seems awful for VR, you are stuck at one place and you can't prone, also it always takes space, not only when you whip out your Vive.

I dunno, maybe it's good but I don't see it.

It's good for the crossover from mb/k to VR. But full spatial VR is already more advanced than the OmniTreadmill.

Someone's gonna have to develop an efficient seat-hook that holds you in place when you run around but also let's you go prone and jump.
Unfortunately I saw this in a movie and it looks quite painful to go into the past because of your bloodlines.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
True VR isn't going to be 1:1 reality convincing until we can control the electrical signals going to the brain. No need to fool our senses when you can tell your brain that you are, indeed, sexing up a 100 ft pony with making GBS threads dicknipples with a signal overriding what your senses are saying.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

Someone's gonna have to develop an efficient seat-hook that holds you in place when you run around but also let's you go prone and jump.

I made a (time/budget constrained) prototype of this. It showed a lot of promise actually, and we had no sim sickness incidence in user testing. There was sort of a learning curve but most people could get in and around pretty well. Be aware that light rain messed up the surface friction on filming day and made it clumsier than usual.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

KakerMix posted:

True VR isn't going to be 1:1 reality convincing until we can control the electrical signals going to the brain. No need to fool our senses when you can tell your brain that you are, indeed, sexing up a 100 ft pony with making GBS threads dicknipples with a signal overriding what your senses are saying.

That sounds like it would have to involve an invasive surgical procedure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

iceaim posted:

That sounds like it would have to involve an invasive surgical procedure.

Nah, just slap on the trodes and they directly stimulate your nerves with EM fields.