Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

$849 is the "charity" price too and those tickets also sell out two months in advance. If you're a family of four looking to catch a guaranteed show in the next month or two, you're dropping three-five grand for peanut gallery seats to a reseller. Hamilton is the most bougie poo poo imaginable even if it consisted entirely of a chartered tour bus that gave you molotovs to chuck at the stock exchange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's only accessible if you have a thousand bucks per ticket to burn, plus travel and hotel if you don't live in the tri-state.

wow really hamilton is expensive huh thanks for the information

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hamilton isn't accessible because 98% of the country literally can't access it

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I obviously didn't mean in that way you loving pedant

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

but please continue to defend the artistic merits of a piece of art more expensive than a weeklong vacation to Disney or Branson

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

The genre of Broadway Musical Theater as a whole is so hidebound and moribund that Hamilton, when compared to its peers, is almost avant-garte.

This isn't a mark in Hamilton's favor as much as it is an indictment of where musical theater is at right now.

hedwig and the angry inch is the most transgressive broadway musical of all time and the only tolerable one to listen to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIl1OIGzuDg

hamilton is some fake rap bullshit smeared with a nice helping of slavery apologia

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The American Hamilton Care Act.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

cat doter posted:

I obviously didn't mean in that way you loving pedant

I'm pretty sure a prerequisite to media critique is being able to actually observe the media in question

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The American Hamilton Care Act.

seriously tho, cat doter is trying to explain the benefits of a platinum ACA plan to a person whose state didn't expand their Medicaid coverage

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"What do you mean you can't eat at eleven Madison? They have a wheelchair ramp"

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I like the funny podcast, it makes me laugh...but it also makes me thingk

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure a prerequisite to media critique is being able to actually observe the media in question

god you suck

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

saying Hamilton is your favorite hip hop music is like saying your favorite African American musician is Dave Matthews, stop embarrassing yourself

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

If we go with that then a good part of the chapo liveshows are prohibitively expensive for me, but then again this is the place where apparently pooping on a musical where most people have enjoyed it from spotify is somehow more politically meaningful than activelly going out to protest (Larping!) Or aiding on somewhat gutted services on empoverished areas (Bc i guess not being 100 % tickled with a podcast praxis = cancels everything bc you uttered "gently caress nick mullen's jokes once" on a "meltdown")

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

LMM specifically didn't include spoken-word scenes between songs because he felt they were "fullest in production form". musicals aren't impossible to film or anything either. live chapo is different because it's produced specifically to be audio-only

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Is the cringe factor high enough that it would be painful even if it was not tangled up in electoral politics and emblematic of the failures and myopia of the Democratic Party?

If so then I'll listen to some songs and see if I need to rescind any of my prior comments about not making GBS threads all over it all the time.

Once you take out the political context you're basically left with the equivalent of that youtube rap battles of history thing.

I'll leave it up to you to decide how painful that is.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

It's only accessible if you have a thousand bucks per ticket to burn, plus travel and hotel if you don't live in the tri-state.

it's touring nationally next year

still will be prohibitively expensive since every ticket will get snatched up by season ticket holders

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I like the funny podcast, it makes me laugh...but it also makes me thingk

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Moist von Lipwig posted:

God dammit Travis, once again the worst brother

How can this be true when Justin exists

Also Hamilton is mostly annoying in the context of the most annoying people in American federal politics promoting it as a great American artwork, outside of that it's just a lovely version of 1776

I Before E fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 8, 2017

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it's touring nationally next year

still will be prohibitively expensive since every ticket will get snatched up by season ticket holders

so it's like a two year old movie finally making it to HBO, still a status symbol and inaccessible for the majority of the country

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
It's good that poor people can't see Hamilton, it's what he would have wanted. Next step is excluding them from the franchise.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

i can't even afford some shitheap car i need to get around, something like hamilton is probably the furthest thing possible in my immediate consideration

that's not even acknowledging the fact that i'm not even interested in it like at all

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bryter posted:

It's good that poor people can't see Hamilton, it's what he would have wanted. Next step is excluding them from the franchise.

broadway isn't for poors to begin with

it's lowbrow bullshit that competes with vegas for tourist dollars from dullard midwestern suburbanites

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Bryter posted:

Well actually the Rockefeller Foundation has an inner-city initiative to make sure that kids get to see Hamilton for $10. I think this will go a long way to fixing all educational problems in the US.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/LizardRumsfeld/status/861325782697881600

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

what's worse, Hamilton, or endless discussion of Hamilton

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
It's what he would have wanted

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Oh, Hello! is the best Broadway show

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Ellen DEGENERATE sending her daytime talk show goons to gangstalk me!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Sorry theater dweebs the only musical i watch is (((Fiddler on the Roof)))

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
I saw bloody bloody Andrew Jackson so American historical musicals can only go up.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Clipperton posted:

Oh, Hello! is the best Broadway show

Unquestionably

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I started listening to this yesterday and I'm loving it

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Man, I must be really brainwashed by capital, because I find myself involuntarily rolling my eyes at the "life without work" discussion. Anyone catch the book she referenced so I can stop being such a capitalist shill?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

She references a couple in her article: https://newrepublic.com/article/141663/united-states-work
I'll admit I'm not at the Fully Automated Luxury Communism step towards leftism but I'll probably get there eventually. The idea of not working or working less is probably one of the most difficult things to imagine as an American within a generation or two.

eonwe posted:

I started listening to this yesterday and I'm loving it
Welcome commando, did you start from the beginning or from a recent ep?

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 8, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

in my experience most people that are into it just listen to the music independent of the show, I work at a library and the CD is super popular (and, being that it's a library, free).

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
its cool that this sketch is now reality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG_rEqCivn4

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

What's next...a rap style ventrilloquist feud?!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i'm glad all these people came in here and explained to us that Hamilton fans don't actually have lovely politics, they actually have lovely taste in music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Eh, Satisfied is still a pretty great song.