Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Oh hey I guess they're doing FF7 voice work, possibly for a new trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Remindet that the va for goofy said all his lines were recorded for kh3 and that was 3 years ago

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Yeah but maybe Goofy dies early in KH3. Like for real this time.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

he only had a single emotional "Gawrsh" to record as he lay out bleeding

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Cavelcade posted:

Oh hey I guess they're doing FF7 voice work, possibly for a new trailer.

I'm not really hot on his rendition of Cloud.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Vargatron posted:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Vargatron posted:

I liked his Crisis Core Cloud a lot more than any of his other times as him.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Not interested.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Mega64 posted:

What the gently caress Square.

(I could post that on every page in this thread and it will always be relevant).

So mobius primarily has classes that only changes your characters look. That lightning thing appears to be a newer class where the main character is actually replaced by lightning. The white face sazh, unfortunately, is just the main character wearing sazh's armor and an afro. Honestly he should have been the reskinned model.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Same, but Square's always had voice direction issues for all of their big titles aside from FF12, so maybe it's just been bad direction and cloud being a mopey loser post FF7 since his Japanese VA sounds bored too IIRC.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

He was fine in crisis core. Every other instance hes done it sounds like his directions were: be depressed

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Attitude Indicator posted:

He was fine in crisis core. Every other instance hes done it sounds like his directions were: be depressed

They're just appealing to their fans.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I hope Cloud's a complete goofball. It'd piss off the fans, be more faithful to the original, and it'd work better since Square pulls off goofball happy-go-lucky characters a hell of a lot better than brooding loners.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Mega64 posted:

I hope Cloud's a complete goofball. It'd piss off the fans, be more faithful to the original, and it'd work better since Square pulls off goofball happy-go-lucky characters a hell of a lot better than brooding loners.

I hope they take special care with Cloud's try-hard edgy moments, but make them fall even flatter, because those were my favorite lines for all of the reasons Cloud doesn't like.

I want Cloud to say "Let's mosey," and have the rest of the team quietly snicker behind his back.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Coughing Hobo posted:

I hope they take special care with Cloud's try-hard edgy moments, but make them fall even flatter, because those were my favorite lines for all of the reasons Cloud doesn't like.

I want Cloud to say "Let's mosey," and have the rest of the team quietly snicker behind his back.

Some eye rolling from Tifa or Aeris would be pretty hilarious. I also want them to keep him belly flopping all over the place when he's having melt downs.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Meridian posted:

Some eye rolling from Tifa or Aeris would be pretty hilarious. I also want them to keep him belly flopping all over the place when he's having melt downs.

He wasn't belly flopping, he was break dancing.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I picked up XV in the PSN sale, and I'm overall having a good time, but when I think about specific elements I'm not that impressed. It's really weird. I kind of like the world they've built, but so many things don't seem to make any sense, and the story by the second chapter seems like it has weird plot holes (I'm still not sure why I left the city to meet somebody who was actually in the city the whole time). It also feels like a lot of introductory/worldbuilding story beats are just kind of...missing?

In the same sense, I like the group of four when they're together, but scenes with just Noctis and another guy feel flat and individually they're not that interesting. But, they're enjoyable when they're all playing off each other.

I'm still not very far into the game, and I'm still cautiously optimistic but I do have this weird feeling about it. It feels really close to being great but not quite getting there.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cinnamon Bear posted:

(I'm still not sure why I left the city to meet somebody who was actually in the city the whole time)

Wha? At the beginning of the game you're going from your home city to another city for your wedding. Lunafreya, your bride, is still there. The battle that upends your world and sets the game in motion took place in your home right after you left, where foreign invaders killed your dad and stole the crystal.

Are you confused or am I...?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

wizard on a water slide posted:

Wha? At the beginning of the game you're going from your home city to another city for your wedding. Lunafreya, your bride, is still there. The battle that upends your world and sets the game in motion took place in your home right after you left, where foreign invaders killed your dad and stole the crystal.

She's reported dead in the same attack along with the King though, when Noctis is listening to the reports?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

That one line always made me think that Cloud had a southern drawl.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fister Roboto posted:

Half of FF7's cast are written with what could very well be a Southern drawl. Heck, Tifa wears a cowboy hat in her flashback and god knows what accent Cid could have.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

wizard on a water slide posted:

Well it IS pretty weird that the Prince is going on a road trip just before an important peace treaty, without even meeting his bride-to-be who is attending.

The movie explains that part, though...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Half of FF7's cast are written with what could very well be a Southern drawl. Heck, Tifa wears a cowboy hat in her flashback and god knows what accent Cid could have.

Cid is dubbed with a southern drawl in the movie. Niebelheim is described as a country bumkin town out in nowhere, in Crisis Core.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cinnamon Bear posted:

It feels really close to being great but not quite getting there.

I'd describe the game this way, but you owe it to yourself to see the ending. Use Wait Mode and abuse items to make it happen, or wait for the patches to roll in.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Renoistic posted:

Well it IS pretty weird that the Prince is going on a road trip just before an important peace treaty, without even meeting his bride-to-be who is attending.

The movie explains that part, though...

Yeah okay, I think I remember and remember why I was confused now. I didn't watch any of the movie/anime stuff tho. Here's the deal Cinnamon Bear -

1) There is an important diplomatic summit and treaty-signing happening in Insomnia, where Noctis is from, right around the same time he's heading for Altissia to be married.

2) The Empire uses this summit as an opportunity to launch a surprise attack against Insomnia, killing Noctis's dad and a bunch of other leaders and generals and diplomats, and stealing the crystal.

3) Luna, Noct's bride, is there for the summit because as the Oracle she is an important diplomatic figure in the world, with the intention of heading to the wedding afterwards. She is presumed dead in the attack as a result.

4) Noct's dad may have suspected this, which is another reason he just happened to send his son and heir out of town on the eve of the treaty.

Beyond that just keep playing!!!

I was confused because the part is unnecessarily convoluted in parts and doesn't do a great job of explaining itself, but the basic story is pretty simple compared to something like the 13 Trilogy, and I didn't remember any holes in it especially that early on.

What I do remember is some characters doing things that seemed confusing or contradictory, then making more sense later in the story.

Baku fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 8, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I picked up XV in the PSN sale, and I'm overall having a good time, but when I think about specific elements I'm not that impressed. It's really weird. I kind of like the world they've built, but so many things don't seem to make any sense, and the story by the second chapter seems like it has weird plot holes (I'm still not sure why I left the city to meet somebody who was actually in the city the whole time). It also feels like a lot of introductory/worldbuilding story beats are just kind of...missing?

In the same sense, I like the group of four when they're together, but scenes with just Noctis and another guy feel flat and individually they're not that interesting. But, they're enjoyable when they're all playing off each other.

I'm still not very far into the game, and I'm still cautiously optimistic but I do have this weird feeling about it. It feels really close to being great but not quite getting there.

It only gets worse from here on out tbqh

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

fridge corn posted:

It only gets worse from here on out tbqh

My brother lent me FFXV and I recently just beat it.

I don't want to spoil too much since Cinnamon Bear just started but just in case

is this the thread I go to for some kind of closure focus group? WTF was that ending? And storyline for that matter?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

quote:

) Noct's dad may have suspected this, which is another reason he just happened to send his son and heir out of town on the eve of the treaty.

I'd like to add that he didn't just suspect, he more or less knew what the empire was doing the whole time. To paraphrase, Cid says later that Regis knew he was going to lose the war one way or the other and he just had to play his losing hand while keeping Noct and Luna alive.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I hope they keep that line and he says it entirely with a fake southern drawl, like some awkward yankee trying to sound casual

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What I think they fail to convey is that Cloud actually had personality in Final Fantasy 7 and then suffered that whole mental breakdown. In my mind he'd have either Vic Mignogna or Scott McNeil as his VA. They both kind of have that wise rear end mercenary voice.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Vargatron posted:

What I think they fail to convey is that Cloud actually had personality in Final Fantasy 7 and then suffered that whole mental breakdown. In my mind he'd have either Vic Mignogna or Scott McNeil as his VA. They both kind of have that wise rear end mercenary voice.

He should be kind of a cocky jerk out the gate, that's why Barret keeps getting angry at him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The fellow who dubs Cloud now isn't bad but he's only been directed to give us a bad Cloud, ya know? Cloud in FFVII changes a lot and that's not even counting the sharp mood-swings or various breakdowns. It's an objective fact that Cloud in FFVII is a far more diverse character than heis everywhere else so they really need to ensure that the voice direction is on its A-game. It's not all just about the voice-actor, a fact a lot of people miss.

I think the usual dub Cloud voice would work great for start of game Cloud. It's dispassionate and detached but in a very forced kind of way so it would go along great with his "Planet's dyin' ? Who cares give me money" deal. But from Aerith and onward he has to slowly be coming out of his shell and showing that he really does care. With the benefit of voice-acting, you can add a lot of incidental dialogue and cutscenes that I really hope exist because there just wasn't enough of that in the original FFVII. I want little scenes that are really nothing but Cloud and the others interacting. It might add jack-all to the plot but it can do wonders for the characters, including showing us how Cloud goes from arrogant tryhard jerk to somebody who deeply cares for all of these people. (two of them more than others) And that makes it all the more painful when Sephiroth breaks him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The good thing about FF7 Remake is that it will bring us closer to the day when the public accepts that Lightning saved Final Fantasy and everything after her was lackluster.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

NikkolasKing posted:

The fellow who dubs Cloud now isn't bad but he's only been directed to give us a bad Cloud, ya know? Cloud in FFVII changes a lot and that's not even counting the sharp mood-swings or various breakdowns. It's an objective fact that Cloud in FFVII is a far more diverse character than heis everywhere else so they really need to ensure that the voice direction is on its A-game. It's not all just about the voice-actor, a fact a lot of people miss.

I think the usual dub Cloud voice would work great for start of game Cloud. It's dispassionate and detached but in a very forced kind of way so it would go along great with his "Planet's dyin' ? Who cares give me money" deal. But from Aerith and onward he has to slowly be coming out of his shell and showing that he really does care. With the benefit of voice-acting, you can add a lot of incidental dialogue and cutscenes that I really hope exist because there just wasn't enough of that in the original FFVII. I want little scenes that are really nothing but Cloud and the others interacting. It might add jack-all to the plot but it can do wonders for the characters, including showing us how Cloud goes from arrogant tryhard jerk to somebody who deeply cares for all of these people. (two of them more than others) And that makes it all the more painful when Sephiroth breaks him.

You are going to be so disappointed

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The good thing about FF7 Remake is that it will bring us closer to the day when the public accepts that Lightning saved Final Fantasy and everything after her was lackluster.

Lightning is very good

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

fridge corn posted:

You are going to be so disappointed

Nah 'cuz if the game is bad I'll just go play FFVII some more. Maybe the original, maybe with some cool mods, ya know.Lots of options.

I want it to be good but this is not, like, a Xenogears Remake. It won't crush my soul if it's poo poo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The game won't be bad because the game won't be.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hope they don't retranslate any of the lines at all and just make the voice actors say a bunch of awkward stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

FFXIV rules