Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Is there a way to break the DRM on fabricating neuromods without upgrading hacking to level 4? There seems to be no way into that room besides the giant door with the broken keypad on it.

There was also a corpse in the area that had a keycard

Fun sequence breaking fact: If you go there ASAP you get to the terminal and see that it's in progress of implementing the DRM and you hit cancel to stop it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Jack Trades posted:

Click on that same crew member on that same terminal again and you'll un-tag him.

Or tag yourself and the new quest objective will complete instantly!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Lakbay posted:

Fun sequence breaking fact: If you go there ASAP you get to the terminal and see that it's in progress of implementing the DRM and you hit cancel to stop it

Is it really sequence breaking when it feels like they clearly accounted for it?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yes, sequence breaking that is acounted for makes it so much more impressive.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Is there a way to break the DRM on fabricating neuromods without upgrading hacking to level 4? There seems to be no way into that room besides the giant door with the broken keypad on it.
From what I remember there's also a small opening in the ceiling of the room through which you could roll as a cup.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

JESUS loving CHRIST! The game suddenly hit me with an EXTREMELY loud music sting that startled the poo poo out of me and literally *nothing* happened.
I stood still waited for a good minute, recovering from that. Nothing.

Incidentally, you can totally tag enemies even without a Psychoscope.
It can be useful if you want to sneak around an enemy and want to "see" them through walls.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 8, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/08/prey-review-sci-fi-shooter-bioshock-dead-space-dishonored-bethesda

Huh, The Guardian only gave it 3/5 and seem pretty down on it.

quote:

Bethesda’s reimagining of the popular shooting game combines the best of Bioshock, Dead Space and Dishonored but does little extra with them

No mention of System Shock, and personally I think that this quote:

quote:

The new Prey takes the highlights of these games, but merely allows them to coexist in a single habitat, never doing anything new with the foundational building blocks it has borrowed.

is just plain wrong. The freedom that the game gives you to tackle the station however you want, the utility of the Gloo gun, and the zero G sections are all things that make the game stand out IMO.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just beat the game! It's really good throughout! The ending fell completely flat because I saw it coming a mile away but it was still pretty cool.

That said, I agree with the part of the review that touches on the story. It is padded to absolute hell and back because the plot beats themselves are spread incredibly thin. I began keeping track of the number of times they pull the whole "you did it, an objective has been completed- oh no someone stopped it before it finished" thing (I counted 6 times before the end) because it just happens so often. I recall back to Dead Space, where the actual plot of the game is strung along by every possible thing going wrong along the way. Take out the number of times you have to make a detour to fix something that broke and you've got a much shorter game on your hands. I was disappointed that this game is kinda the same way.

edit: also,

:toot: although it wasn't really that hard

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 8, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bardeh posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/08/prey-review-sci-fi-shooter-bioshock-dead-space-dishonored-bethesda

is just plain wrong. The freedom that the game gives you to tackle the station however you want, the utility of the Gloo gun, and the zero G sections are all things that make the game stand out IMO.

the only 2 reviews this guy has written is this and Nioh and complains about how each game "is a clone" in both so he's clearly got a stick up his rear end

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lakbay posted:

I didn't even know the DRM was a thing that actually happened in the game until someone mentioned it here.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

gently caress touchscreen calibrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I like that every robot on this station, even those worthless bastard turrets, is just the least bit of a smart rear end.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

So how screwed will I be if I decide to ignore the main plot leading me into Psychotropics, and instead go through the Volunteer Quarters to wherever the hell that leads? I like exploring but I don't want to go too far if I don't have an easy way back.

There's a ~spooky music~ Poltergeist in there after I flicked on the flights but I can't actually tell how to fight it or... how it can hurt me? It can lift me up but nothing quite seems to happen.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bardeh posted:

The number of folks I've seen reference Bioshock and Deadspace with no mention of System Shock or Deux Ex bothers me more than it probably should. Like, I know they're from an earlier generation and didn't see as wide an audience, but if you're going to make reductive comparisons, then you at least ought to know the lineage.

Also, I have played every single one of these games and Prey is better than all of them except Deux Ex.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

bewilderment posted:

So how screwed will I be if I decide to ignore the main plot leading me into Psychotropics, and instead go through the Volunteer Quarters to wherever the hell that leads? I like exploring but I don't want to go too far if I don't have an easy way back.

There's a ~spooky music~ Poltergeist in there after I flicked on the flights but I can't actually tell how to fight it or... how it can hurt me? It can lift me up but nothing quite seems to happen.

Explore everywhere. The game is even better if you do what you fell like doing instead of just blindly following directions.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Not at all. In fact, you'll probably be better off so long as you're careful with resources.

I ignored Psychotropics in favor of poking around in every nook and cranny of the station I had access too. I also spent around two or three hours tooling around in outer space. It was great, I got to explore a space shuttle with a bunch of dead people on board.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I have to give Arkane props for making Psychoscope having enough disadvantages to make it impractical to have it on all the time.

It's a pet peeve of mine. I hate it when "batman vision" or whatever is strictly better.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Trades posted:

I have to give Arkane props for making Psychoscope having enough disadvantages to make it impractical to have it on all the time.

It's a pet peeve of mine. I hate it when "batman vision" or whatever is strictly better.

Yeah the total lack of peripheral vision and dampened audio awareness definitely make you want to take it off ASAP.

Pretty nice scouting tool though.

On the other hand - pressure and tension getting you down? Making you nervous? Put on your psychoscope and shut out all your worries!
(worries may still devour you alive though so ymmv)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bardeh posted:

Don't sweat about the reviews, there are some really clueless ones out there like the Forbes one. This is a tough title for a run-off-the-mill games journalist to like. I appreciate somebody genuinely criticizing the game which is always interesting to read but so many non-positive reviews of this title have zero merit and really highlight reviewers who have to be told that something is good to enjoy it. Like, if this game was named "Space Bioshock: metroidvania freedom edition" then maybe they'd 'get it' but as it is there's not enough brand recognition and no big early reviews (Bethesda's fault) that would have helped them understand what this game even is and what they're supposed to like about it.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 8, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i am extremely disappointed with the amount of reviews trickling in that sound like they're saying "well it's got bits of bioshock in there but bioshock did it first so it's just a copycat"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i am extremely disappointed with the amount of reviews trickling in that sound like they're saying "well it's got bits of bioshock in there but bioshock did it first so it's just a copycat"

I'd argue, at least from my playthrough thus far, that Bioshock can't even touch this

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

I have to believe they're trolling. It's called BioShock for gently caress's sake. It's like panning Disney's High School Musical because "it rips off West Side Story."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

I have to believe they're trolling. It's called BioShock for gently caress's sake. It's like panning Disney's High School Musical because "it rips off West Side Story."

A lot of people have never heard of System Shock.
System Shock 2 is an 18 years old game after all.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

many people will not "get" the game. Is too old school. And is hard but not hard in a dark souls type of way but a different one

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I got bored as hell with Bioshock and never completed it.

I loving love Prey, it's so good. It's the opposite of boring.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

A lot of people have never heard of System Shock.
System Shock 2 is an 18 years old game after all.

I know, but like I said in my earlier post if you're going to make reductive comparisons, you really ought to know where this stuff is coming from. If anyone is holding up Bioshock as the genesis or the peak of action RPGs then they ought to get some flak for it. If you're writing about this stuff as a job, you maybe should at least know that stuff like Ultima Underworld and System Shock 2 exist, even if you never played them.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 8, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
For people wondering if they should follow the main plot or explore I'd say follow the main plot until after you get the Psychoscope so that you can start research so you can get Typhon powers

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lakbay posted:

For people wondering if they should follow the main plot or explore I'd say follow the main plot until after you get the Psychoscope so that you can start research so you can get Typhon powers

i got sidetracked and got the jetpack followed by the c-beam first but it was pretty much on the way, so.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i will admit my one criticism of the game so far seems to be that there's not going to be a utterly useless weapon tree that shows up 75% of the way through the game. what a major design flaw, guys.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Got this game over the weekend due to some recommendations. Saved the game at the point where it mentions going psionic vs. technical.

I hit the crew quarters level and somehow managed to save about 14 human lives. Is there any reward for this or not so much?

How you do it: Use the stun gun on mind controlled guys before they pop

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
There is a reward for saving people but probably not in the way you're thinking

Now I'm using the recycler exploit to become God in my second playthrough; you can get the weapons upgrade kit plan and neuromod plan super early if you know where

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 8, 2017

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Lakbay posted:

There is a reward for saving people but probably not in the way you're thinking

Now I'm using the recycler exploit to become God in my second playthrough; you can get the weapons upgrade kit plan and neuromod plan super early if you know where

The neuromod is hilarious if you make too many
The DRM kicks in (literally what they call it), you run out of licenses and have to reset the counter.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I'm really not sure why people are comparing this to System Shock. I mean, those games had a lot of horror elements, and this really doesn't.

That said it's a much better Bioshock game than Bioshock Infinite.

edit: Maybe it's just me, other people seem to think this is scary.

Thoughtless fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 8, 2017

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I screamed a little when the worst jump scare happened because it was a really bad one. Stay safe when exploring optional areas, y'all.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
So I was in the mood of something new so I pre-ordered the game an hour before it got released. Played it for an hour or so before going to bed. I felt quite overwhelmed by it at first, since I tried to play the main story ASAP, thinking it'd get me a good idea on the mechanics. Crafting and resourcing wasn't something I was prepared for.

Decided to start the game anew, and play it more meticulously this time. That's when I started to "get" it, and now I'm really pissed over having to leave town for the next few days. Them space stations won't explore themselves damnit!

(Never played System Shock, but the Dishonored games are among my absolute favourite in terms of design and mechanics and this feels really familiar while new at the same time. GG Arkhane).

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How's does combat feel in this game? I liked BioShock 1, tolerated Infinite, and have never finished 2 and in all those games the combat felt off, especially in 2. Guns and plasmids felt like they didn't impact enemy's unless they had a stun effect and in 2 enemy animation looked weird, like the models drop into single digit FPS.

I've got my eyes on this game cause I dig DE and SS2, but if it has similar janky feeling combat I may be put off.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Thoughtless posted:

I'm really not sure why people are comparing this to System Shock. I mean, those games had a lot of horror elements, and this really doesn't.

That said it's a much better Bioshock game than Bioshock Infinite.

edit: Maybe it's just me, other people seem to think this is scary.

I agree, most of the setting and elements (the cafeteria in particular) has more of a Bioshock feel. As did the first Neuromod you see (which I was thinking "Oh another Plasmid.")

The jump scares with the mimics is probably why along with the audio queues. It does lack that early 90s cyberpunk feel that was more of a System Shock thing. So yeah, it's Bioshock to me too.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You should probably watch some gameplay, I thought the guns behaved a little better than those games but enemies in Prey have a lot of health so the combat isn't the greatest so ymmv

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

How's does combat feel in this game? I liked BioShock 1, tolerated Infinite, and have never finished 2 and in all those games the combat felt off, especially in 2. Guns and plasmids felt like they didn't impact enemy's unless they had a stun effect and in 2 enemy animation looked weird, like the models drop into single digit FPS.

I've got my eyes on this game cause I dig DE and SS2, but if it has similar janky feeling combat I may be put off.

you're never going to be a military badass in this game so combat with guns is never optimal or constantly empowering against the weird aliens but the later telekinetic poo poo you can learn to use against them is good. There are so many ways to take down enemies from controlling machines to dropping a 1-ton luggage case on one.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

One of the biggest changes compared to the System/Bioshock games is that they removed all of the body horror that was an integral part of it's predecessors. Having chopped up and cyberized/horribly mutated and disfigured human enemies was a big part of what made the Shocks creepy, and abstracting it into ghost monsters kind of removes a lot of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

you're never going to be a military badass in this game so combat with guns is never optimal or constantly empowering against the weird aliens but the later telekinetic poo poo you can learn to use against them is good. There are so many ways to take down enemies from controlling machines to dropping a 1-ton luggage case on one.

I'm not expecting to be a military badass. Something about the combat design in the Bioshock games has always felt weird to me.

I just realized though that Prey wasn't made by the Bioshock folks. It was made by the Dishonored folks and that game felt great to me.