Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Wasn't the problem with Ishikawa and endings that Getter mostly it did just end with "to be continued" because it generally did until he suddenly died young?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The second and third getter manga both ended pretty conclusively (with the second also dealing with the remaining plot threads from the first). It wasn't until the very end they started being inconclusive, which is understandable since Shin is explicitly a prequel to Arc and it was at the end of Arc that he died.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ID-0 is still cool.

I'm hoping Ido is an intelligent AI with no human life instead of a person who just got amnesia, personally.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

ID-0 is still cool.

I'm hoping Ido is an intelligent AI with no human life instead of a person who just got amnesia, personally.

Ah, the Persona 5 option.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm about halfway through Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, and I think they forgot to put robots in this show.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm about halfway through Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, and I think they forgot to put robots in this show.
That's probably because it doesn't have robots.

It does have the glory of Bonta-kun, however.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Guy Goodbody posted:

I mean... yeah? It's explicitly a slice-of-life comedy spin off of the actual FMP.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The fights are a lot better than the fights in regular Full Metal Panic. Imagine how good the robots rights would've been, if Fumoffu had robots.

Also, so far there's been no Kurtz Weber, so that alone makes it ten times better than regular Full Metal Panic

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fumoffu is better than FMP precisely because of, the lack of robots.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Srice posted:

Fumoffu is better than FMP precisely because of, the lack of robots.

Yeaaaaaah. The overarching plotline and robot battle parts of FMP are honestly extremely bland and forgettable and the thing that makes the series worth anything at all are the character interactions and the goofy comedy, which Fumoffu goes whole hog on.

The very fact that they made an entire OVA with literally no robot parts based on what is ostensibly a robot show should say a lot.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It doesn't help that the villain in the first season is just a lovely version of Ali Al-Saachez

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

It doesn't help that the villain in the first season is just a lovely version of Ali Al-Saachez

That's not how time works.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
But in the larger sense, FMP does have approx. one good villain.

And even in the robot plot, the good parts are whenever Sousuke yells at Sophia (not because they're the good villain btw).

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Chidori is the best FMP villain.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Guy Goodbody posted:

the villains in FMP are pretty universally garbage. they're barely written like people which makes them not very interesting to see doing stuff.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The ghost episode and the art model episode are very good and very very funny.

I don't like the punch boy that much though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gyra_Solune posted:

the villains in FMP are pretty universally garbage. they're barely written like people which makes them not very interesting to see doing stuff.

But Gauron and Gates are so kuh-razy and random!!! Or maybe they can fight another one of Sousuke's emotionless and completely interchangeable child soldier buddies.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I mean... yeah? It's explicitly a slice-of-life comedy spin off of the actual FMP.

It's the comedy parts of the first four books and short story collection that didn't make it into the first season plus a couple of stories written for the TV show specifically.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/Story_terror/status/861244975765348352

So LWA is just a mecha show now huh.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i really like fmp because of the cold war alternate history setting and technological aspect and characters and i love gates ok please stop causing me emotional distress

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

muike posted:

i really like fmp because of the cold war alternate history setting and technological aspect and characters and i love gates ok please stop causing me emotional distress

i got your back mang

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I can only imagine how the interview with Masami Obari went when putting this episode together.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

muike posted:

Midjack posted:

i got your back mang

(I also love the goofy romantic comedy and fish out of water antics stuff too.)

I can't wait for the new series to come out and probably dump the old english voice cast and probably be disappointing in other ways because :negative:

At least I'll always have Souske being amazing in SRWV.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
sosuke and chidori are the only anime couple i have genuinely cared about being a couple

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Sousuke and Chidori are good, the problem is that they keep getting attacked by the most boring giant robot terrorists in existence.

That's why the only good villains are the one that's fun about specifically playing on their relationship and the single other one who isn't a cartoon pedophile rapist because he's a traitor and I guess they couldn't make him one of those retroactively.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

muike posted:

sosuke and chidori are the only anime couple i have genuinely cared about being a couple

Gainer and Sarah?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Caphi posted:

Sousuke and Chidori are good, the problem is that they keep getting attacked by the most boring giant robot terrorists in existence.

That's why the only good villains are the one that's fun about specifically playing on their relationship and the single other one who isn't a cartoon pedophile rapist because he's a traitor and I guess they couldn't make him one of those retroactively.

You're not wrong but I stil like gauron, gates, and leonard.

Gauron because he gives you insight into Sosuske's experiences and state of mind, gates because I hasven't revisited him in years, and leonard because he's not wrong per se and kind of emotionally wounded in his own way.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Gainer and Sarah?

no...sarah is my pure waifu....

but seriously i never liked gainer as a character as much as i liked sarah so it didn't have much impact for them to have a relationship, even if i liked them both individually

Roger Smith and R Dorothy Wayneright are another good couple but solely because of their on-screen interaction and not because I see them, outside of that, as a couple

muike fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 9, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

I can only imagine how the interview with Masami Obari went when putting this episode together.

"Mr. Obari, we nee-" "Here is a fully scripted storyboard for a transformation of a giant robot." "H-how did you...?" "It's literally the only reason anyone talks to me."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I really liked the moment in The Second Raid where Sosuke, after finally beginning to truly connect with Chidori, gets the e-mail announcing he's being relieved of protecting her and isn't allowed to see her anymore. He just quietly reads the e-mail in an uncomfortably long amount of time before just punching the computer to loving death and losing his poo poo in a way we hadn't really see him do before.

That this all happens after he's already begun to have doubts about his life in the military, the usefulness of the Arbalest in battle etc. is good too.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

muike posted:

I gotchu homie. FMP is good.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I can't wait for the new series to come out and probably dump the old english voice cast and probably be disappointing in other ways because :negative:

I don't want to listen to anyone other than Chris Patton and Luci Christian as Sousuke and Kaname.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

muike posted:

Roger Smith and R Dorothy Wayneright are another good couple but solely because of their on-screen interaction and not because I see them, outside of that, as a couple

I, uh... there's another way to read characters as a couple outside of their personalities and actions towards each other?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Raxivace posted:

I really liked the moment in The Second Raid where Sosuke, after finally beginning to truly connect with Chidori, gets the e-mail announcing he's being relieved of protecting her and isn't allowed to see her anymore. He just quietly reads the e-mail in an uncomfortably long amount of time before just punching the computer to loving death and losing his poo poo in a way we hadn't really see him do before.

That this all happens after he's already begun to have doubts about his life in the military, the usefulness of the Arbalest in battle etc. is good too.

my boy

Caphi posted:

I, uh... there's another way to read characters as a couple outside of their personalities and actions towards each other?

i definitely get what you mean but as individual personalities they dont necessarily coexist but i enjoy the way they interact as individual characters with individual motivations

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

"Mr. Obari, we nee-" "Here is a fully scripted storyboard for a transformation of a giant robot." "H-how did you...?" "It's literally the only reason anyone talks to me."

I prefer to think that he just hands out full scripts, designs and transformations for giant robots as a greeting and that he doesn't even care why people are talking to him and would be surprised that they were actually looking for those things in the first place.

Raxivace posted:

The first season of FMP is generally seen as pretty weak, and I admit it's dull at times but I love the episode about halfway through the season where Sousuke goes off to fight in his homeland and just has this harrowing, lovely mission but Chidori is waiting at home for him, and the episode ends with the two of them just sitting next to each other, each bone tired and barely awake but finally able to see each other after waiting the whole episode. They barely even talk beyond acknowledging each other if I recall. It's a nice moment where their relationship starts to connect. I love the image of Sousuke in his mech walking through the desert dragging, is it a missile or something, in that episode as well. Just the image of his mech dragging something through this really desolate landscape to finally finish a mission that's taken so much out of him but he just wants done really stayed with me for some reason.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Raxivace posted:

This is an example of the character moments that are the really good parts about FMP and also why I like TSR a lot more than the original series, because TSR is basically a gigantic journey into Sousuke's messed up head and the only major robot fight is basically a fit of symbolic catharsis.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Kanos posted:

This is an example of the character moments that are the really good parts about FMP and also why I like TSR a lot more than the original series, because TSR is basically a gigantic journey into Sousuke's messed up head and the only major robot fight is basically a fit of symbolic catharsis.

The character work and technological backround is the strength of FMP over anything else and I think that's what draws people in and why Fumoffu is so popular. Even if it's a school comedy the characters are all so enjoyable and relatable as individuals.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Raxivace posted:

My favorite moment in TSR is the haircut scene where you really get a glimpse at just how messed up Sousuke is from his experiences, but that he's honestly making an attempt to connect with Chidori despite his fears and trauma.

The scene where Chidori shows up looking incredibly happy to see him again, but then immediately begins yelling at Sousuke for his belief that she died having shut him down completely, and he not only returns to his normal self, but actually affirms who he is and what he wants from life is also amazing. Especially after everything that was going on before that.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Sousuke is the only child soldier character that Iike. Setsuna had potential but I dint' dig 00 in general.

The haircut scene is one of the reasons; it humanized the whole series.

And to thepeople that critcize FMP: please continuew doing so, even though I'm a a gigantic fan; it only improves the discourse

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Tthe Full Metal Panic Sigma manga is a decent enough alternative to not having KyoAni animate the rest of the story. It starts where The Second Raid starts, so you might want to skip ahead a bit. I'm not sure I would say the mecha parts specifically ever get all that much better but there are still some good character moments, and in general the story evolves/devolves into what basically amounts to something out of Metal Gear Solid and I kind of like it a lot for that.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Tthe Full Metal Panic Sigma manga is a decent enough alternative to not having KyoAni animate the rest of the story. It starts where The Second Raid starts, so you might want to skip ahead a bit. I'm not sure I would say the mecha parts specifically ever get all that much better but there are still some good character moments, and in general the story evolves/devolves into what basically amounts to something out of Metal Gear Solid and I kind of like it a lot for that.

This is how I experienced the back half of the story and its a decent way to get it. There was always a bit of Metal Gear to FMP, but Sigma is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I read the various fan translations​ of the novels before Sigma caught up and Sigma's editing is waaaaaaay better.