Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Despera posted:

Playing a "gently caress you nazis" at a nazi rally among other things wasnt the most rational choice.

maybe the most accurate thing for a hardcore punk band to do though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

I think the problem with that is, yes, it's true that people do dumb poo poo under pressure, but it's better to have the characters as smart, or smarter than your audience. It creates more tension.

Its prob better not to have 30m saying that these characters are the smartest scientists ever before they go die like they are on space station 13 in a matter of minutes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tenzarin posted:

Its prob better not to have 30m saying that these characters are the smartest scientists ever before they go die like they are on space station 13 in a matter of minutes.

Personally, that sounds hilarious.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want a spacestation 13 movie now holy poo poo.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Baronjutter posted:

I want a spacestation 13 movie now holy poo poo.

About as close as your gonna get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2woSXodh28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxH08loyRRs

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 8, 2017

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

Personally, that sounds hilarious.
It really was, and considering the themes around hubris, I'm pretty sure that that was the point.

The geologist with the mapping probes gets lost in a hostile environment; the biologist ignores clear signs of aggression from an alien snake and tries to make friends with it, etc...

I was personally looking forward to that movie being played straight, but went into the theater completely unspoiled and ended up delighted by David's antics + the constant stream of fuckups.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 8, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean, Fifield isn't looking at the map he's creating using his pups. Prometheus is relaying the information back to them. That's where things get a little messy.

And Milborn is basically Steve Irwin.

However, Vickers and the giant rolling ship is inexcusable. That's the single worst thing in the movie.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The entire point of Aliens is that the arrogant marines go into a scenario expecting to be the badass action heroes are instead are mercilessly and brutally slaughtered, with their weaponry being literally worse than useless. Their cockiness and giant guns work entirely against them and they are torn apart or captured leaving the survivors injured, helpless and trapped alone in hostile territory.

Aliens suggests the marines would have succeeded if they hadn't been ordered by a Bad Apple not to use their weapons. Bad Apples threaten the traditional way of life throughout the film. Even Ripley starts out as one because of her android racism and lack of maternity, which are part of her journey of redemption.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

However, Vickers and the giant rolling ship is inexcusable. That's the single worst thing in the movie.

They never taught them how to run away from rolling space crafts. Its almost more insulting that an alien space craft has the structural integrity to actually perform a roll like that, in my opinion.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Tenzarin posted:

If you know a few scientists the difference between booksmarts and streetsmarts are readily apparent.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Toady posted:

Aliens suggests the marines would have succeeded if they hadn't been ordered by a Bad Apple not to use their weapons. Bad Apples threaten the traditional way of life throughout the film. Even Ripley starts out as one because of her android racism and lack of maternity, which are part of her journey of redemption.

They used their weapons and the aliens still kicked their asses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toady posted:

What? No it doesn't. The exact opposite in fact. As many marines are killed onscreen by their own weapons (or the side effect of their own weapons) as by the Aliens, not counting the fact it's very likely that they accidentally caused the destruction of the entire colony. Being asked to hand over their weapons isn't what got them killed and even the ones who had a reason to be armed were literally worse than useless.

If what you took from the big scene in the hive was "if they all had pulse rifles they would have killed all the aliens easily" then that sure isn't on the film.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

The cold corporate officer angling for control gets crushed to death because she panics and can't think to run sideways instead of straight forward. It works pretty well.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Despera posted:

If you know a few scientists the difference between booksmarts and streetsmarts are readily apparent.
This too. This cannot be emphasized enough.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ersatz posted:

The cold corporate officer angling for control gets crushed to death because she panics and can't think to run sideways instead of straight forward. It works pretty well.

I think it sucks and it's the worst thing in an other wise good movie.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Maybe she couldn't tell if she had enough time to run to the side to make it. Was kind of a big ship, moving pretty fast.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
All you have to do to understand that scene is take a roll of masking tape and try rolling it on a sidewalk. It won't go in a predictable, straight line.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 8, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Maybe the engineers were really smart but were also really clumsy. Like Goofy clumsy and that was their goal of making new species.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Despera posted:

Maybe she couldn't tell if she had enough time to run to the side to make it. Was kind of a big ship, moving pretty fast.
Well, yeah, we the audience have the advantage of perspective in seeing the giant wheel from the top. Plus we're not running for our lives.

But the joke of this massive wheel falling from the sky to, divine-intervention-style, destroy her otherwise good escape plan is pretty clearly that, like her father, she never had the control that she thought she did.

Plus there's the whole thing whereby she threw away the chance for a brave and dignified death and then immediately gets crushed by karma.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 8, 2017

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Honestly I just thought Shaw got lucky. If someone flung the statue of liberty at you at 100mph you might have trouble discerning how to dodge it.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Ersatz posted:

Well, yeah, we the audience have the advantage of perspective in seeing the giant wheel from the top. Plus we're not running for our lives.

But the joke of this massive wheel falling from the sky to, divine-intervention-style, destroy her otherwise good escape plan is pretty clearly that, like her father, she never had the control that she thought she did.

Plus there's the whole thing whereby she threw away the chance for a brave and dignified death and then immediately gets crushed by karma.

Do you, anyone else here who feels like they "get" Prometheus, watch The Leftovers?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Like I said, the experience is far more satisfying when a character does something you're thinking. In real life, who knows how you'd react, but the last thing i want in a film is total tactical realism.

It is fiction after all.

This is not even just for Prometheus, The Walking Dead became completely unwatchable due to how impossibly dumb the characters were.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Lord Krangdar posted:

Do you, anyone else here who feels like they "get" Prometheus, watch The Leftovers?

What you think this posting is my source of entertainment right now?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CelticPredator posted:

Like I said, the experience is far more satisfying when a character does something you're thinking. In real life, who knows how you'd react, but the last thing i want in a film is total tactical realism.

It is fiction after all.

This is not even just for Prometheus, The Walking Dead became completely unwatchable due to how impossibly dumb the characters were.

How the gently caress do you know how you react if there was a giant spaceship about to fall on you?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Despera posted:

How the gently caress do you know how you react if there was a giant spaceship about to fall on you?

I mean, Shaw did a serpentine and got out of the way. Then it tipped over, and she tripped on a rock.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Off the top of my head, there was an american expedition to the artic. Things go to hell and this one dude wont stop eating the rations. The rest of the crew tell him if he doesnt stop theyll kill him. You know what he does? He keeps on eating them and the rest of the crew executes him. You dont know what the gently caress people are going to do, especially under pressure.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Lord Krangdar posted:

Indeed. :)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

What? No it doesn't. The exact opposite in fact. As many marines are killed onscreen by their own weapons (or the side effect of their own weapons) as by the Aliens, not counting the fact it's very likely that they accidentally caused the destruction of the entire colony. Being asked to hand over their weapons isn't what got them killed and even the ones who had a reason to be armed were literally worse than useless.

If what you took from the big scene in the hive was "if they all had pulse rifles they would have killed all the aliens easily" then that sure isn't on the film.

Ripley relies on weaponry and hubris to beat the aliens, so the message isn't that those are bad. Being ordered not to use their full military capabilities is a statement on America's commitment to Vietnam, that the badass fighters on the ground only lost because of self-sabotage by weak leadership. The bag of rounds Gorman ordered them to collect literally blows up in their faces. The surviving marines are rescued when Ripley takes charge and smashes through with an alien-crushing tank. The scene is a combat flashback for Ripley, who has returned to re-fight Vietnam so she can live a normal life.

Toady fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 8, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Despera posted:

Off the top of my head, there was an american expedition to the artic. Things go to hell and this one dude wont stop eating the rations. The rest of the crew tell him if he doesnt stop theyll kill him. You know what he does? He keeps on eating them and the rest of the crew executes him. You dont know what the gently caress people are going to do, especially under pressure.

Is there any place I can read more about that arctic expedition?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Xenomrph posted:

Is there any place I can read more about that arctic expedition?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Franklin_Bay_Expedition

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thanks for the movie spoiler .

Interesting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toady posted:

Ripley relies on weaponry and hubris to beat the aliens, so the message isn't that those are bad. Being ordered not to use their full military capabilities is a statement on America's commitment to Vietnam, that the badass fighters on the ground only lost because of self-sabotage by weak leadership. The bag of rounds Gorman ordered them to collect literally blows up in their faces. The surviving marines are rescued when Ripley takes charge and smashes through with an alien-crushing tank. The scene is a combat flashback for Ripley, who has returned to re-fight Vietnam so she can live a normal life.

That isn't what happens at all, no. Ripley learns to use a gun but at the end of the day the gun isn't what helps her and her 'weapon' in the final battle is merely a forklift, and the marines don't die because they're underarmed. Go look at the actual deaths in that scene. There isn't any shot of someone dying because they couldn't use their weapon. and several of them dying because they used their weapon recklessly or through accidental friendly fire. Afterwards they find out the fear was completely correct. The Atmospheric processor does indeed start to go. The mistake of the leadership was going in unprepared and overconfident into a situation they shouldn't have gone into at all. Even if the marines had gone in fully armed it wouldn't have changed much because the mistake was going in at all.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 8, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Thanks! :cheers:

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Obviously it was just another sign or hubris or incompetence but it still irks me they land the dropship at the colony and leave it undefended after they know Xenomorphs are present. Not having Gorman take the two minutes to recall the troops and arm them with flamethrowers was dumb but, sure, he's flustered and trying to seem in control. We also see the Marines regard it as a dumb move. We get no indication anyone is bothered by the dropship being left completely undefended.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Obviously it was just another sign or hubris or incompetence but it still irks me they land the dropship at the colony and leave it undefended after they know Xenomorphs are present. Not having Gorman take the two minutes to recall the troops and arm them with flamethrowers was dumb but, sure, he's flustered and trying to seem in control. We also see the Marines regard it as a dumb move. We get no indication anyone is bothered by the dropship being left completely undefended.

They believe the aliens are stupid animals incapable of subtlety or planning. They are not treating them like active thinking opponents but wild animals, a mistake they continue to make until the very end where Hudson is screaming about how it's impossible they could cut the power.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

as soon as the massive flying space phallus rolled like a pretzel down Engineer Avenue i knew it had to crush somebody dramatically and would have been bummed if it didnt

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

ImpAtom posted:

They believe the aliens are stupid animals incapable of subtlety or planning. They are not treating them like active thinking opponents but wild animals, a mistake they continue to make until the very end where Hudson is screaming about how it's impossible they could cut the power.

Even then though "There's dangerous wild animals roaming around, better leave our only way off planet unprotected."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Even then though "There's dangerous wild animals roaming around, better leave our only way off planet unprotected."

They did leave two people with the dropship. Pity they weren't on guard.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mllaneza posted:

They did leave two people with the dropship. Pity they weren't on guard.

Three if you count Bishop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I mean, Fifield isn't looking at the map he's creating using his pups. Prometheus is relaying the information back to them. That's where things get a little messy.

And Milborn is basically Steve Irwin.

I didn't really care for Prometheus, but it's not like the biologist getting in that baby alien's face is especially stupider than John Hurt leaning in to that hatching egg. I guess because the Prometheus dude is a biologist it stands out more, but I can buy the Steve Irwin defense.