Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

glowing-fish posted:

I don't consider it off-topic, since this thread has just mutated to cover all sorts of retail practices.

My own answer is that probably the best way, rather than passing new laws, is that most MLMs have enough shady stuff going on at the margins that if the government wanted to prosecute, they could. And it would only take one or two cases, even ones that are settled out of court, to discourage MLMs.

It might discourage them from getting too large, but that alone won't be sufficient to discourage the people who think they can be rich by creating a loyal group of unpaid salesmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Anubis posted:

It might discourage them from getting too large, but that alone won't be sufficient to discourage the people who think they can be rich by creating a loyal group of unpaid salesmen.

There will always be grifters, but minimizing the worst abuses of the system would probably go a long way.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

But then I don't get to see your legs...

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I originally read that post as "why wear leggings with designs under a dress that covers them" but then they made the rest of their posts

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I originally read that post as "why wear leggings with designs under a dress that covers them" but then they made the rest of their posts

Interesting post/av combination here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure I've seen anyone under the age of about 40 wear tights with a dress since like, 2000, leggings always.

The only people we can sell them to are grannies and they only want plain skin tone or black, as cheap as possible.

Weirdly none of the companies I've worked for have considered putting a leggings line into their general range.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 7, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure I've seen anyone under the age of about 40 wear tights with a dress since like, 2000, leggings always.

The only people we can sell them to are grannies and they only want plain skin tone or black, as cheap as possible.

Weirdly none of the companies I've worked for have considered putting a leggings line into their general range.

Is the difference between tights and leggings thickness? Footedness?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WrenP-Complete posted:

Is the difference between tights and leggings thickness? Footedness?

Both of those and also the material, particuarly the weave. Leggings are way thicker than tights, and tights are slightly thicker than pantyhose.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They do make quite woolly tights but yeah, leggings are proper material. You don't need to buy as many of them and they go with basically everything. Also you don't need to do anything with your legs if you don't want to.

I mean they are different things but it's a little strange to me that companies specializing in legwear seem very insistent on only sticking to what is, I think, nowadays, a rather niche and old fashioned form of it. It's like if a company only made shirts with a bowtie collar and link cuffs. I mean they might make them but if they do they seem completely disinterested in getting them into their range in supermarkets.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 7, 2017

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

May have been mentioned already, but apparently Gander Mountain has gone tits up. That one has been coming for a while. In my town at least, they located themselves right next to popular regional sports and outdoor chain Academy, and on any given day you could drive by and see a almost entirely full parking lot at Academy (seriously they do very well somehow, even now) and like maybe a half dozen cars at Gander Mountain. I've been thinking it has been a wonder they've lasted as long as they have.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The one in my town is also going out of business, having only been there for, Idunno, two years? I only went there a couple times, so I don't know anything as regards their selection and prices. My best guess is that they didn't offer anything to draw people away from getting the same products from other retailers that were more established. One factor might have been that it was a standalone store, whereas the local Dick's and Field & Stream are in shopping centers with anchor stores.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
In my area, Cabela's does huge business and Gander Mountain is an afterthought

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Both Gander Mountain and Field and Stream are closing here, only a couple years after they opened

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

FistEnergy posted:

In my area, Cabela's does huge business and Gander Mountain is an afterthought

the camping world guy is buying the leases and IP and relaunching some locations as camping world.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Apparently sporting goods stores are hit particularly hard by the retail collapse as sporting goods are something many prefer to buy online. I buy all of my sports gear online because Dick's doesn't stock anything for rugby. I only go there to buy things like a mouthguard or a sweatband.

I really don't know how they stay in business. Whereas Kohl's has this business model of listing things for $40-60 and actually selling them for $5-20, Dick's has the same high prices because a tank top has a Nike logo on it, and they rarely discount more than 25%.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Halloween Jack posted:

Apparently sporting goods stores are hit particularly hard by the retail collapse as sporting goods are something many prefer to buy online. I buy all of my sports gear online because Dick's doesn't stock anything for rugby. I only go there to buy things like a mouthguard or a sweatband.

I really don't know how they stay in business. Whereas Kohl's has this business model of listing things for $40-60 and actually selling them for $5-20, Dick's has the same high prices because a tank top has a Nike logo on it, and they rarely discount more than 25%.

underarmour took it in the shorts when they decided they wanted to be their own retail player.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Gander Mountain by me is always full as hell at the gun counter. Rest of the store not so much. Of course the gun counter now runs the length of the store, so they're adaptable.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guns are the primary seller for these businesses.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Barudak posted:

Guns are the primary seller for these businesses.

Odd that gun sales were way up during Obama's presidency but they are still failing.

I was going to say "still dying" but it seemed in poor taste when talking about gun sales.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Gun sales have recently plummeted (gee I wonder why)

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Gun sales have recently plummeted (gee I wonder why)

Investment idea: Buy gun company shares in Republican presidencies, sell in Democratic presidencies.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

OwlFancier posted:

:raise: I and many other young women wear tights with a skirt or dress all the time. They have a look distinct from leggings which makes them better for certain outfits.

Am I hopelessly unhip or something?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Nah, they're just out of frame, I think :downsrim:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Xibanya posted:

:raise: I and many other young women wear tights with a skirt or dress all the time. They have a look distinct from leggings which makes them better for certain outfits.

Nah tights are great. Better for going under a dress than leggings imo

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Xibanya posted:

Judging from that pattern, yes

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Xibanya posted:

Nah, you look super cute. :)

I'm also a young woman, and I own these tights:

I took this picture ages ago in my roommate's room (hence the mess):

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Judging from that pattern, yes

gently caress you, it's whimsical :argh:

On tights and retail, I pick up 90% of my tights from Target. I don't generally do other clothes shopping there, but they always have a bunch from the last season marked down. It's like halloween candy, best time to buy winter tights is in Spring, best for summer tights is in Winter. I choose to believe these markdowns are real. Amazon is a good place to buy tights as long as the sizing is accurate since they're a stretchy item. Upscale shops sell tights but I don't see a compelling reason to pay more than $10 for a pair since it's just a question of when, not if, they'll get a hole or rip.

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm also a young woman, and I own these tights:

I took this picture ages ago in my roommate's room (hence the mess):

omg love 'em. :3: I own loads of tights but haven't got pics handy, but yeah, there are lots of cool patterns and textures that can only be accomplished with tights and not print leggings.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Xibanya posted:

Not at all, they just seem to be unpopular here, though that might partially be that it's bloody freezing up here a lot of the time so maybe people just like the extra warmth.

Though certainly you could hardly wear anything else if you're doing a short rockabilly style dress, they look grand when matched appropriately.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 8, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

BrandorKP posted:

So BiLo holdings rejiggered it's organization and renamed to Southeastern Grocery about two years ago. I'm being told that now all employees lower than department head are now being made part time. Sounds like they are pushing as many employees off health insurance as they can.

Edit: still haven't found that graph.

Looks like I was incorrect. They outright fired all non dept. head staff that were full time. After knocking them down to part time for thier last month.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

Halloween Jack posted:

I've worked in sports retail on and off my whole life, mostly niche stuff like cycling and running and I can say anecdotally that I'm surprised it took so long. Sports retail customers want good product + expertise/service or just a really good deal/disposable product (or the semblance thereof), and in rare exceptions like MEC/REI, a big box store that is a collection of niche, high end goods but generally lovely service - yet tons of cool things like kayaks and a climbing wall to gawk at.

Sporting goods stores sell very low to mid to even high end in some products (so the customer who buys a $199 bicycle will never understand how a GPS watch can price twice as high, and no one there could really explain why), don't mark down extravagantly enough, and have terrible service. And, if you're savvy and cheap (like me), you know that a pair of $15 running shorts at Forever 21 are essentially the same as a $40 pair of Reebok or whatever.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Huh, Coach just bought Kate Spade.

By the way, the discussions around high end brands and whatnot has been really fascinating!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
My dad is almost 70, I was talking to him and he said he had bought a bunch of shirts online. He used to go to a department store for them, and I think my mother has started buying shoes online.

This time of year Lacoste usually has a sale and I buy some new shirts for the summer, and I bought them online instead of driving 20 minutes to the Lacoste store like I used to years ago.

For a dude, especially if you dress conservatively, its just incredibly easy to buy all your clothes online. Men's shirts and pants have very conventional and consistent sizing especially if you stick with a brand like Brooks Brothers or something.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 9, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Online retailing got a lot better once a few brands started being internally consistent about their sizes.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BrandorKP posted:

Looks like I was incorrect. They outright fired all non dept. head staff that were full time. After knocking them down to part time for thier last month.

Rip

I wonder how much of grocery stores can be automated. You still need to refill shelves, fix stuff that sloppy customers knock over, self checkouts are slow and lead to lots of theft...

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

got any sevens posted:

Rip

I wonder how much of grocery stores can be automated. You still need to refill shelves, fix stuff that sloppy customers knock over, self checkouts are slow and lead to lots of theft...

They probably can barely even BE automated for those reasons, especially with all the packaging sizes for food and drink that exist

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
It's a cutting healthcare costs thing.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Pharohman777 posted:

They probably can barely even BE automated for those reasons, especially with all the packaging sizes for food and drink that exist

Ya one store near me tried some automated check outs and took them out due to theft.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

OhFunny posted:

Ya one store near me tried some automated check outs and took them out due to theft.

Where do you live? In Oregon and Washington, I first saw automated checkouts in 1997 as an experimental thing, and now, every larger grocery store has 8-12 of them (2-3 pods, usually with 4, sometimes 6 checkouts each). There are always a few problems with them, but they've mostly been fixed. I thought this was a standard technology, and had been for at least ten years? Is this still catching on in places?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

glowing-fish posted:

Where do you live? In Oregon and Washington, I first saw automated checkouts in 1997 as an experimental thing, and now, every larger grocery store has 8-12 of them (2-3 pods, usually with 4, sometimes 6 checkouts each). There are always a few problems with them, but they've mostly been fixed. I thought this was a standard technology, and had been for at least ten years? Is this still catching on in places?

The Mecca I saw of this in Austrlia , grocery shopping, have recently pulled back from this in that they used to let people, a majority of them, go through with whatever they had and had like 30 registers, now theyve cut them down to express quantities only, apparently because they were having too much merch go through unscanned, intentional or otherwise.

Generally technology should augment, not replace. A lot of the inventory systems i saw in retail being implimented in the oughts didnt make it to the smaller chains until the past 5 years or so.

Im kind of surprised we dont see more stores that are more showroom with 70% backroom but i guess finding the right balance for that would be hard to strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I thought the self check stuff was pretty standard these days, but then we bought a house in the poor end of town and hmm for some reason most of our grocery stores don't have them.