Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I did it you guys! I got the last of the pod materials and now I'm done with N:a. I never try getting everything in games, but I honestly had so much fun with this one that I couldn't resist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zeerust posted:

I kind of noticed today 2B's feelings for 9S are interesting when you consider what Jackass discovered. Androids' pleasure centres are directly stimulated by combat and violence; the closest emotion they have to 'love' comes from fighting. So, it could be interpreted that 2B has these feelings least partly because she's fought and murdered him so many times - a conditioned response. The only other E-series you meet was in exactly the same situation, being in love with the object of her violence.
she cums and jizzes sadly while strangling him to death.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
^^^ I was originally going to mention that, but at least two people previously have pointed out that particular scene so I didn't feel it needed repeating.

Phobophilia posted:

Maaaybe, but 2B doesn't actually like killing 9S, and 9S was enamored with 2B from the get go. Actually 9S just has a thing for hot older ladies.

I mean, that's the thing, though, she hates it, but if Jackass is right, her brain makes her enjoy it! It's another reason the idea of the censored word in 9S' Adam interaction being 'kill' is interesting. When your brain is wired to experience love when you fight and kill, how do you even begin to separate those contexts? To love is to kill, to kill is to love. 9S' desire to kill 2B could be arising from his love for her, and vice versa.

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 8, 2017

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I didn't realize it until just now because I'm bad at counting but in the final dialogue when pod 042 says "When we six were connected and exchange information something ... happened", the 6th person it's talking about is probably the player :3:

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Zeerust posted:

she hates it, but if Jackass is right, her brain makes her enjoy it! It's another reason the idea of the censored word in 9S' Adam interaction being 'kill' is interesting. When your brain is wired to experience love when you fight and kill, how do you even begin to separate those contexts? To love is to kill, to kill is to love. 9S' desire to kill 2B could be arising from his love for her, and vice versa.

I figured it was because 9S knew.

2B certainly didn't like killing 9S, but I think 9S hates that 2B is killing him and wants revenge as evidence of the fight in the resource collector where 2B (or something that in his mind looks like her) is destroying his memories. I think 9S is programmed to "love" 2B simply to prevent him from turning against her. It's also why he is "glad" that he gets to fight 2B in the tower, it's something he always wanted.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 8, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Fredrik1 posted:

I figured it was because 9S knew.

2B certainly didn't like killing 9S, but I think 9S hates that 2B is killing him and wants revenge as evidence of the fight in the resource collector where 2B (or something that in his mind looks like her) is destroying his memories. I think 9S is programmed to "love" 2B simply to prevent him from turning against her. It's also why he is "glad" that he gets to fight 2B in the tower, it's something he always wanted.

I have to agree. Hell 9S brings up the horror of loving someone and knowing it's only because you're programmed to do so during the final battle. I thought that was pretty clearly the case between him and 2B too. Like on a rational level both of them loathe the cycle of murder 2B subjects 9S to but he can't fight his programming

One of the most ever-present themes of the game is the conflicting simultaneous feeling of hate and love after all

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

After beating the DLC, I can safely say it's worth it. There's some really interesting stuff there, and the fact that each arena is different in mechanics and tone helped it not feel like a slog to get through.

I am kind of concerned about the impact the marketing for it had; I know of a few people who said "I'm not getting some dumb DLC where I fight CEOs, I don't want that trash in my game". Whether justified or not, I feel like focusing on costumes and a silly side-fight for funsies may have detracted from people getting into some worthwhile story content. Ah well.

I was really surprised that they went with Plato as the focus of the last bit, even more so since I'd just gotten his weapon story to level 4. I don't think that's ever happened in this series before, depicting a weapon story in the game itself. Plenty of references to previous events, like Caim and Angelus or Father/Brother Nier, but I think this is the first time it's been the other way around.

I loved seeing what ended up being a machine version of the Bunker, too. The server room conversations were a lot of fun and pretty fascinating by implication. What I wasn't so sure about was the symbol they were building, which was also the ending icon; was I supposed to recognize that? Is it a Drakengard thing I forgot about?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Squidtentacle posted:

After beating the DLC, I can safely say it's worth it. There's some really interesting stuff there, and the fact that each arena is different in mechanics and tone helped it not feel like a slog to get through.

I am kind of concerned about the impact the marketing for it had; I know of a few people who said "I'm not getting some dumb DLC where I fight CEOs, I don't want that trash in my game". Whether justified or not, I feel like focusing on costumes and a silly side-fight for funsies may have detracted from people getting into some worthwhile story content. Ah well.

I totally was not planning on getting it for those very reasons.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The only caveat of the DLC is if you already 100%d the game before it came out and deleted your save. I'm still not high enough level to clear it all since I don't have huge amounts of time to play because of work.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Nina posted:

The only caveat of the DLC is if you already 100%d the game before it came out and deleted your save. I'm still not high enough level to clear it all since I don't have huge amounts of time to play because of work.

This is a perfect cavia move.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Zeerust posted:

I kind of noticed today 2B's feelings for 9S are interesting when you consider what Jackass discovered.

Don't we also find out by the end that YoRHa kinda aren't even androids, but some kind of android/machine core hybrid, so it's hard to say just how relevant Jackass's conclusions are?

Though yes the theme that love is an attachment that leads to fatal violence/killing/hate/fear/buckets-on-heads is in 96 pt bold throughout N:A.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Squidtentacle posted:

I loved seeing what ended up being a machine version of the Bunker, too. The server room conversations were a lot of fun and pretty fascinating by implication. What I wasn't so sure about was the symbol they were building, which was also the ending icon; was I supposed to recognize that? Is it a Drakengard thing I forgot about?

It's actually the Amazarashi logo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

she cums and jizzes sadly while strangling him to death.

your knowledge of female anatomy seems questionable at best

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Women can jizz. She gets kaines outfit for a reason

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Wow it's like a 4chan Nier thread up in here

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kaldaien, the dude who made the PC fixy thingy, has code in the fix that breaks it on pirated copies. Automata was cracked recently, so now people are getting mad at him about that.

I imagine he's going to be equally mad though when someone strips that out of his fix...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Augus posted:

your knowledge of female anatomy seems questionable at best

They start with no anatomy and grow whatever they want later. That's canon.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

How do you get the Neon hair dyes? Also, I didn't get the new Amazarashi pod skin after watching the music video and completing Mysterious Letter. I did complete all ranks on 3 arenas except S rank because I'm only lvl 67 and easy mode life.

We can finally confirm 9S feelings for 2B as "family" if you watch the music concert and read the TL.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I didn't get the Amazarashii pod when I did all the stuff but I ascribe that to being on an HK copy and it being omitted because you could maybe get it elsewise.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I got the Amazarashi pod by just downloading the DLC. It even showed up as a separate download so maybe it varies by region.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I didn't get the Amazarashii pod when I did all the stuff but I ascribe that to being on an HK copy and it being omitted because you could maybe get it elsewise.

Welp, I'm on HK too. Oh well.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Squidtentacle posted:

alright fine, i'm sold

are the silly side-fights at least unlimitedly replayable? or am i going to jump around with chapter select for these?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I might have just missed it on the HK store or in game. I don't care enough for it to check or look into it, honestly.

You can do the arena fights again whenever you want to without chapter hopping. And yeah, I agree with the marketing regarding this DLC. Selling it as a costume pack arena with a meme fight was a bad idea, where selling it as a battle arena pack with costume rewards and a side story would give a better overall impression.

I'd say it's worth it if you love NieR a whole bunch but it's 3 to 4 bucks overpriced if you're not that in love with it.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 8, 2017

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I've seen people who own the DLC have no idea that it has story stuff in it, so yeah that really should have been advertised better.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a point where not wanting to tip your hand about something is actively harmful and this is a good example of that. I know for a fact I'd have been way more hyped for this DLC if I'd known that the final part of the DLC was in it.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Playing this game for any real amount of time triggers my computer's "low on memory please close applications" warning, and I have no idea if that's 100% my computer's fault or if it's the PC port's fault. It also kicks me out of fullscreen and into windowed for whatever reason instead of doing some sort of alt-tab thing, so that's fun. Managed to get through ending E today though. This game's pretty great.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There's a point where not wanting to tip your hand about something is actively harmful and this is a good example of that. I know for a fact I'd have been way more hyped for this DLC if I'd known that the final part of the DLC was in it.
I'm still on the fence about buying it but uh do you mean this is definitely the last/only piece of DLC?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm still on the fence about buying it but uh do you mean this is definitely the last/only piece of DLC?

I mean the final thing you can do in this DLC is really cool.

But it is probably the only piece of DLC. Taro has moved out of the Platinum office now

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Wait there's story stuff in the DLC?

Goddamnit.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Red Minjo posted:

Playing this game for any real amount of time triggers my computer's "low on memory please close applications" warning, and I have no idea if that's 100% my computer's fault or if it's the PC port's fault. It also kicks me out of fullscreen and into windowed for whatever reason instead of doing some sort of alt-tab thing, so that's fun. Managed to get through ending E today though. This game's pretty great.

This happened to me with Dishonored 2. Had to hard reset the game every hour or so because it started to massively slow down. It was a testament to how much I love that game that I beat it.

Some games just do that to desktops. Mostly unoptimized games like Nier Automata and Dishonored 2.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I might have just missed it on the HK store or in game. I don't care enough for it to check or look into it, honestly.

You can do the arena fights again whenever you want to without chapter hopping. And yeah, I agree with the marketing regarding this DLC. Selling it as a costume pack arena with a meme fight was a bad idea, where selling it as a battle arena pack with costume rewards and a side story would give a better overall impression.

I'd say it's worth it if you love NieR a whole bunch but it's 3 to 4 bucks overpriced if you're not that in love with it.

What story/lore part? Do you mean the little slideshow scenes after each battle? I watched them out of order so I may have missed something. Do you mean the Plato memories?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Alder posted:

What story/lore part? Do you mean the little slideshow scenes after each battle? I watched them out of order so I may have missed something. Do you mean the Plato memories?

They mean the stuff with Plato probably

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The DLC also has (non-story spoilers) ridiculously hard Level 130 enemy gauntlets that have you refighting bosses, and reward you with the ability to lower your level and turn off Exp gain, so the potential is there for doing NG+ gimmick runs I guess

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

RoadCrewWorker posted:

alright fine, i'm sold

are the silly side-fights at least unlimitedly replayable? or am i going to jump around with chapter select for these?

You can play everything as many times as you want. I don't think you need SPOILERS to do anything in the arena, but I haven't done it on a fresh save file yet, so I could be wrong.

Alder posted:

Plato, the slideshows, elaborations on the desert machines and their relation to Facade, the machine colosseum.

Augus posted:

The DLC also has (non-story spoilers) ridiculously hard Level 130 enemy gauntlets that have you refighting bosses, and reward you with the ability to lower your level and turn off Exp gain, so the potential is there for doing NG+ gimmick runs I guess

Wait you mean I can drop my level to go back to old bosses and not steamroll them now? gently caress me, now I have another goal.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alder posted:

How do you get the Neon hair dyes? Also, I didn't get the new Amazarashi pod skin after watching the music video and completing Mysterious Letter. I did complete all ranks on 3 arenas except S rank because I'm only lvl 67 and easy mode life.

We can finally confirm 9S feelings for 2B as "family" if you watch the music concert and read the TL.

Considering everything else (including from that very script), it only fits a strict definition of family if we're going from a certain class of anime most of us prefer to avoid.

Family's definitely in the mix, considering that's the kind of love that comes associated with long attachment you never chose to have, but pod 042 mentions it not quite fitting at the same time as he mentions lover as a possibility. (That also doesn't quite fit).

It's complicated. And trying to write it off that simple seems... questionable.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
From the LP thread:

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm so glad they didn't go with old man pascal, the questions of "why would they build an old man robot" would go in circles forever
Can't wait till the thread hits the Forest Kingdom.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The baby king was adorable.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Just picked this up and am really liking it so far. A quick question though, I keep getting notifications that I receive items (chips) off of other players I retrieve but they aren't showing up anywhere in my inventory, am I missing something?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bruc posted:

Just picked this up and am really liking it so far. A quick question though, I keep getting notifications that I receive items (chips) off of other players I retrieve but they aren't showing up anywhere in my inventory, am I missing something?

Those are temporary chips that last like a minute and then go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Oh that makes sense, thanks.