Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Troy McClure to star in:
https://twitter.com/THR/status/861600366902824961

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
My confession is I really like Hamilton and I'm also a paying Grey Wolf but I also appreciate and feel their criticisms about it are absolutely valid. Idk, I dig musical theater.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Matt Zerella posted:

Eh, Satisfied is still a pretty great song.

every song that wasn't done by Lin is pretty fuckin solid, every song Lin is in is medicore at best.

Hamilton by all rights should have been a completely mundane 'yea that was fun, ok what are we doing now?' Broadway show like (insert 99% of Broadway here) but for some reason we attached ourselves to it as a culture to give it some grand higher meaning. It's like if people decided Into The Woods was actually BRILLIANT and LIFE CHANGING and something EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE instead of just 'yea that was a fun way to kill an evening, let's go do something else and maybe hum a few of the catchier tunes while we do'.

Lin is a really fuckin bad rapper though. Like, the fact that others can do rap he wrote better just proves that fact.

1776 is miles better though. If you want a musical that doesn't give a gently caress about historical accuracy in the name of telling a story you should check that out instead of Everyone Wants To Ride Hamilton's Cock: The Musical, Also His Shitbag Son Did Nothing Wrong And Was An Angel And Not A Weird Privileged gently caress That Started Fights And Got Mad When Someone Took Him Up On The Offer.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/PissPigGrandma/status/861287918664470528

Can't keep a good Troop down.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

sexpig by night posted:

every song that wasn't done by Lin is pretty fuckin solid, every song Lin is in is medicore at best.

Hamilton by all rights should have been a completely mundane 'yea that was fun, ok what are we doing now?' Broadway show like (insert 99% of Broadway here) but for some reason we attached ourselves to it as a culture to give it some grand higher meaning. It's like if people decided Into The Woods was actually BRILLIANT and LIFE CHANGING and something EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE instead of just 'yea that was a fun way to kill an evening, let's go do something else and maybe hum a few of the catchier tunes while we do'.

Lin is a really fuckin bad rapper though. Like, the fact that others can do rap he wrote better just proves that fact.

1776 is miles better though. If you want a musical that doesn't give a gently caress about historical accuracy in the name of telling a story you should check that out instead of Everyone Wants To Ride Hamilton's Cock: The Musical, Also His Shitbag Son Did Nothing Wrong And Was An Angel And Not A Weird Privileged gently caress That Started Fights And Got Mad When Someone Took Him Up On The Offer.

counterpoint: 1776 sucks balls and forgets to be a musical for long stretches of time and Hamilton explicitly shows Phillip Hamilton as a cocksure rear end in a top hat who starts fights and then gets chumped for being a dick.

Also Into the Woods IS pretty drat good and brilliant. If we wanna go real galaxy mind with this though, Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson is probably the best presidential musical, being a good parody of Andrew Jackson's life AND emo music of the mid-2000's.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Famethrowa posted:

Man, I must be really brainwashed by capital, because I find myself involuntarily rolling my eyes at the "life without work" discussion. Anyone catch the book she referenced so I can stop being such a capitalist shill?

I think "life without work" is probably a bit far at the minute, but a good way to think about is:

- If workers are becoming more productive
- And automation is reducing the amount of actual work that needs to be done
- Yet people are working longer hours for less real pay

Who is benefiting from the current amount of work being done?

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Tim Faust used the 'A Good Cartoon' meme from the D&D polititoons thread. I only mention this because pages of argument over who is or is not a goon cures my erectile dysfunction.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

EverettLO posted:

Tim Faust used the 'A Good Cartoon' meme from the D&D polititoons thread. I only mention this because pages of argument over who is or is not a goon cures my erectile dysfunction.

you fucker that originated in lf

literally shaking at this shameless cultural appropriation

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Also Into the Woods IS pretty drat good and brilliant.

Into the woods is a loving war crime. Stephen Sondheim is a hack and deserves scorn and also a public execution

this is fact not opinion

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Soho Rep's Futurity was the best political musical ever made.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Slanderer posted:

Into the woods is a loving war crime. Stephen Sondheim is a hack and deserves scorn and also a public execution

this is fact not opinion

this is the worst troll in this thread so far

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the most relevant political musical is Assassins. second most is Les Miserables.

Hamilton made rap accessible to a segment of America that otherwise wouldn't give it the time of day, much like Vanilla Ice and Eminem, and deserves roughly their place in the pantheon of rap that's talked about (shouldn't be your favorite, ok to like, please don't evangelize for it.)

No broadway musical has been dangerous or edgy in a political context since forever. Hamilton's bougie propaganda but at least it doesn't mix AIDS grief tourism and ~artistic suffering~ and dress it up like that's a statement like Rent does. Hamilton does the same thing for democrats that Avenue Q did for the pre-recession college grads and Book of Mormon does for new atheists - enforce a worldview that perfectly situates the viewer within their own manufactured paradigm.

Remember: this is the same industry that covered Argentinian politics by way of giving evita peron a lifepath analagous to a hollywood starlet. Maybe 5 people with power in the industry in total give a poo poo about anything outside of their opera boxes.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Impermanent posted:

the most relevant political musical is Assassins. second most is Les Miserables.

Hamilton made rap accessible to a segment of America that otherwise wouldn't give it the time of day, much like Vanilla Ice and Eminem, and deserves roughly their place in the pantheon of rap that's talked about (shouldn't be your favorite, ok to like, please don't evangelize for it.)

No broadway musical has been dangerous or edgy in a political context since forever. Hamilton's bougie propaganda but at least it doesn't mix AIDS grief tourism and ~artistic suffering~ and dress it up like that's a statement like Rent does. Hamilton does the same thing for democrats that Avenue Q did for the pre-recession college grads and Book of Mormon does for new atheists - enforce a worldview that perfectly situates the viewer within their own manufactured paradigm.

Remember: this is the same industry that covered Argentinian politics by way of giving evita peron a lifepath analagous to a hollywood starlet. Maybe 5 people with power in the industry in total give a poo poo about anything outside of their opera boxes.

gently caress you're right, assassins is best. totally forgot about it. a fool.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

My confession is I really like Hamilton and I'm also a paying Grey Wolf but I also appreciate and feel their criticisms about it are absolutely valid. Idk, I dig musical theater.
Eh, who cares. I love Zak Snyder movies and even thoughy their criticism of them gets really weird at points, I still really enjoy the episodes where they reviewed them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Assassins kicks a lot of rear end

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Forums Terrorist posted:

you fucker that originated in lf

literally shaking at this shameless cultural appropriation

I like to think that post-ABBoK LF never happened.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Assassins fuckin rules

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Gorn Myson posted:

Eh, who cares. I love Zak Snyder movies and even thoughy their criticism of them gets really weird at points, I still really enjoy the episodes where they reviewed them.

I liked his Dawn of the Dead remake pretty well.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Impermanent posted:

This isn't the first time I've heard the bolded part. Book of Moran was a fun show to see during my one vacation to New York. I didn't catch any atheism boosting, just silly factoids about the Mormon belief IE: Jesus live on planet Kolab and God got cool with black people in 1978.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I forgot about Assassins, everyone just go enjoy that somehow

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

She references a couple in her article: https://newrepublic.com/article/141663/united-states-work
I'll admit I'm not at the Fully Automated Luxury Communism step towards leftism but I'll probably get there eventually. The idea of not working or working less is probably one of the most difficult things to imagine as an American within a generation or two.

Welcome commando, did you start from the beginning or from a recent ep?

started with 106

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

This isn't the first time I've heard the bolded part. Book of Moran was a fun show to see during my one vacation to New York. I didn't catch any atheism boosting, just silly factoids about the Mormon belief IE: Jesus live on planet Kolab and God got cool with black people in 1978.

Like Hamilton doesn't come out and say "liberalism and the democratic party are the bearers of the tradition of the founding fathers, plus hamilton is totally a representative figure of modern day PoC, look at how good he raps WITH HIS OWN BOOTSTRAPS" (although hamilton does come pretty close to this) the new atheist propaganda in book of mormon comes from its subtext. It's got a lot of very correct claims about the damage of fundamentalism, but it is fundamentally a story about how naive repetition of existing stories traps people within existing oppression, while changing stories according to the context you're in is the way to help people around you. It's not egregious or anything, but it does totally conform to a new atheist type of spirituality and sentiment - which is the point.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

There was this 3rd point people they glossed over regarding UBI/Work No Longer being a thing (Which only framed on dreamless liberals and calvinist jerks), which would be that it would outright gut a lot of services that do address the more vulnerable (Disabled folk coming to mind) on the excuse they were already getting money thru UBI, explaining part why that sorta stuff appealed a bunch to Cato Institute types.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Christman finally confronts his true enemy: Prestige TV
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/05/how-tv-became-respectable-without-getting-better

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

"Prestige television is the opiate of the masses"

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Kunster posted:

There was this 3rd point people they glossed over regarding UBI/Work No Longer being a thing (Which only framed on dreamless liberals and calvinist jerks), which would be that it would outright gut a lot of services that do address the more vulnerable (Disabled folk coming to mind) on the excuse they were already getting money thru UBI, explaining part why that sorta stuff appealed a bunch to Cato Institute types.

That'd just be a changing of names, not really appoint of concern.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I love that hairy shouting marxist.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
:smuggo: Looks like a certain poster was ahead of his time with these gems from April 2016.

GalacticAcid posted:

All television programs are garbage of no lasting artistic value. You will not rewatch Breaking Bad in twenty years, whereas you have probably watched a > twenty year old movie in the past couple weeks.

GalacticAcid posted:

I don't care, I loving hate TV.

Every series has contrived and bullshit moments and require like a year of involvement for a one-episode underwhelming playoff. If I lived in a shithole city and hated my life, I would see the appeal of laying on a couch all day and zoning out to retarded water cooler convo fodder.

Movies are complete, standalone works and great movies will always be inherently better than great "prestige television."

And bonus quote from the same page of that thread...

GalacticAcid posted:

I'd rather hear old guys play the banjo than see "Hamilton", a hip hop musical about men in breeches.

I only remember these because my hatred for tee vee provoked an outpouring of care and mad.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

:smuggo: Looks like a certain poster was ahead of his time with these gems from April 2016.

And bonus quote from the same page of that thread...

I only remember these because my hatred for tee vee provoked an outpouring of care and mad.

congrats on having the same opinion as a clickbait hand-wringing thinkpiece, op

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I thought his true enemy was being upright?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

little munchkin posted:

congrats on having the same opinion as a clickbait hand-wringing thinkpiece, op

Thanks dude, always feels good having my posts reemerge as snackable content

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Westworld really loving sucked

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

rumble in the bunghole posted:

That'd just be a changing of names, not really appoint of concern.

It still had some flow going on with some communist pals of mine. Even if minor, it would still be worth a sentence or two to address services that do require a bit more than just basic income to address.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i am mad.

mad at entertainment.

Kunster posted:

It still had some flow going on with some communist pals of mine. Even if minor, it would still be worth a sentence or two to address services that do require a bit more than just basic income to address.

I'd sell it as "lost opportunity income stipend" or whatever. If you can't work you don't got the same opportunity to add to your UBI as the next dude. I think most folks could get their head around it.

A sound policy proposal from me, posting in the something awful thread about a podcast.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 8, 2017

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

all forms of fictional media are actually really good regardless of content.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol that Matt reduced the wire to "angry white cops". There's plenty to critique about the wire, but diversity is not one of those things

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The Wire loving sucks.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

The Wire loving sucks.

gently caress no

(Only season 2 sucks)

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

but season 2 shows that communism is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Season 2 owns, idiot.