Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

DJExile posted:

Baseball goes so far out of its way to not only quash anyone having a personality that they're at the point where if you show even a shred of one, you're getting a fastball up to your head.

E: because UNWRITTEN RULES

Just Manny Being Manny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

HookShot posted:

I hope the Oilers lose because of Zach Kassian's reverse beard facial hair look that no human should have ever done to their face.

I hope the Oilers lose because I can't stomach a decade of their fans chanting "we won the cup!" during every goddamn game they play against a Canadian opponent.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens are apparently going with some new lines tonight:

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
HBK
Kunitz-Cullen-Kuhnhackl

Makes sense to try these changes I think. Guentzel/Crosby have been dynamic together but Sheary has sucked away from Crosby, and Hornqvist seems to do his best work with Sid also. Also spreading the talent around seems like their best bet for not getting obliterated in shot attempts.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

HookShot posted:

I hope the Oilers lose because of Zach Kassian's reverse beard facial hair look that no human should have ever done to theirMilan Lucic's face.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can someone make a gif of that crotch chop, so that way I can post it after every Oilers goal from now until they win the cup in...mid-july or whenever hockey season ends these days? Thanks

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Wow another dumb rear end post by an oilers fan. They truly are SAS' Most Hated Fanbase and also the stupidest

Being called an Oilers fan is the worst thing anyone has ever called me

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

sean10mm posted:

PK is such a hilariously mild flavor of "sports person showing any personality at all" that if you hate him for it there is literally no other explanation but :heritage: because there is just nothing else there TO get mad at.

I hated PK when he was on Montreal, but that's just because I hate Montreal. He's cool now.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Pens are apparently going with some new lines tonight:

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
HBK
Kunitz-Cullen-Kuhnhackl

Makes sense to try these changes I think. Guentzel/Crosby have been dynamic together but Sheary has sucked away from Crosby, and Hornqvist seems to do his best work with Sid also. Also spreading the talent around seems like their best bet for not getting obliterated in shot attempts.

Hasn't HBK been garbage this season? Of course now they'll score 3 goals tonight because I asked the question.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Hasn't HBK been garbage this season? Of course now they'll score 3 goals tonight because I asked the question.

I don't know if they've been outright bad but teams did seem to adjust to them after last year.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah they have, but it's not like Malkin-Kessel are lighting it up this series at even strength so it's probably worth the gamble. The only thing that has me slightly concerned is splitting Jake/Crosby as those two have crushed it this playoffs but if it can get Sheary going it might be worth it. I think Guentzel will probably produce no matter where you put him.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah they have, but it's not like Malkin-Kessel are lighting it up this series at even strength so it's probably worth the gamble. The only thing that has me slightly concerned is splitting Jake/Crosby as those two have crushed it this playoffs but if it can get Sheary going it might be worth it. I think Guentzel will probably produce no matter where you put him.

Where does this narrative come from? Makin is 1st and Kessel is 4th in scoring right now. They're clearly doing okay together

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Where does this narrative come from? Makin is 1st and Kessel is 4th in scoring right now. They're clearly doing okay together

"This series" I said. If I'm not mistaken while on the ice together they've scored three goals as a combo and two of those came with an empty net in game 3.

On the powerplay they've been great together of course but they're not being separated there.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am glad that Pittsburgh is taking such good care of Kessel :unsmith:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Hasn't the "HBK" line been split up since forever? At least Hagelin has been out for quite a bit with injuries. I like the look of those lines though, even to try it.

I also saw something on twitter saying Daley was out? I don't know I only glanced at it

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I hated PK when he was on Montreal, but that's just because I hate Montreal. He's cool now.

That's weird though I still hate Lucic

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

I am glad that Pittsburgh is taking such good care of Kessel :unsmith:

All the hotdogs he could ever eat, no Toronto media telling him that's he's a bad boy.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Xtanstic posted:

That's weird though I still hate Lucic

That's because Lucic is boring and PK is cool and fun.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

That's because Lucic is boring and PK is cool and fun.

Lucic is funny lookin'!

Juvi
Apr 8, 2003

I AM DOG.

myron cope posted:

Hasn't the "HBK" line been split up since forever? At least Hagelin has been out for quite a bit with injuries. I like the look of those lines though, even to try it.

I also saw something on twitter saying Daley was out? I don't know I only glanced at it

Yeah. Bonino doesn't seem to turn it on until March and Hagelin hasn't been himself all season, (even before the injury) so they got split up real quick. I think it's a good time to bring the band back together. Bonino and Phil are dialed in right now and Hagelin seems to be getting his legs back.

Daley is out. Ruhwedel is in with Maatta.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Honestly, Malkin hasn't really been in top form so far. He's showen glimpses but he hasn't been consistently dominate. Most of his points are coming on the PP and second assists. Take the points however you can get them, but he has another level, he has yet to reach.

I agree, they weren't bad by any stretch. We'll see how it goes. I'm excited to see what Geno and Guentzel can do together.

Juvi fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 8, 2017

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

I'm sorry for being a poopy stereotypical Pens fan earlier in the thread. I know I'm lucky as gently caress to be a fan of a team that now owns the longest playoffs streak in the league (somehow squeaking in even under Mike Johnston's ill-fated tenure.) Even if MAF implodes, Crosby's head literally is knocked off his body, and Malkin and Kessel slam into each other so hard they rip space-time and suck the entire PPG Paints Arena into another dimension I will appreciate their good luck up to this point. Back to (mostly) lurking for me.

Edit: I will readily admit that this is some horse-poo poo right here.

Neitherman fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 8, 2017

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
This time of year is weird. People at work that couldn't be paid to watch hockey normally are now coming to talk to me about it just because the game was on NBC. It's making me uncomfortable.

I guess the silver lining is that tonight we can hide our shame on NBC Sports.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Neitherman posted:

Edit: I will readily admit that this is some horse-poo poo right here.

WHICH TEAM WAS BEST EVER??? arguments are all completely pointless and you'll do yourself a favor to avoid them entirely.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Each team is looking at a handful of players who aren't quite performing to expectations, a lot of "he's been good but not great," but I think it mostly boils down to both the Caps and Pens are just looking like they're up against the best competition around.

I expect that there will be lots of tv folks talking about players "finally breaking out" and "getting back on track" for whichever of these teams gets to the next round.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

DJExile posted:

WHICH TEAM WAS BEST EVER??? arguments are all completely pointless and you'll do yourself a favor to avoid them entirely.

Yes. Exactly my point. Besides, most of these teams played in different eras with different rules. You'd be really hard pressed to find a fair one to one comparison.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

glynnenstein posted:

Each team is looking at a handful of players who aren't quite performing to expectations, a lot of "he's been good but not great," but I think it mostly boils down to both the Caps and Pens are just looking like they're up against the best competition around.

I expect that there will be lots of tv folks talking about players "finally breaking out" and "getting back on track" for whichever of these teams gets to the next round.

There's not really any Pens that are drastically underperforming except Sheary. Everyone else is pretty much scoring how they should be or better.

For the Caps I guess their d hasn't been as productive as it can be, or their bottom six. But a 30 point guy like Winnik or Beagle going cold isn't exactly unusual. I'd imagine the Caps expect more offense out of Niskanen and Carlson than they've gotten this post season though.

I'm sure that will be the narrative though like you said but it probably shouldn't be. The guys people really pay attention to are all doing well on both sides with the exception of Holtby and Sheary and to a lesser extent Niskanen/Carlson.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

I want the Caps to push for a game 7, but then I remember, it's the Caps and game 7's isn't their forte. So it's all the same, but I want the dream of not Pens winning the Cup (no Ducks either, gently caress Corey Perry) to still be alive for a little longer.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Seems like this thread wants the Preds almost universally if their team has been eliminated.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

yellowcar posted:

All the hotdogs he could ever eat, no Toronto media telling him that's he's a bad boy.

This is like the time as a kid when my mom told me that my cat was going to her friend's farm. Only, this time its true.

DJExile posted:

Especially since we already know it's the 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Seems like this thread wants the Preds almost universally if their team has been eliminated.

Probably for a few reasons:

1. PK
2. They're a fresh face this deep in the playoffs.
3. PK
4. ???
5. Their fans are awesome.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

4 can be "They play fast and exciting hockey"

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream

i'm from nashville so i'm legally required to like them even though i started watching hockey before they existed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

flakeloaf posted:

Yup. That EN goal last night I was "ok, no icing WAIT HE'S GOING TO SCORE YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

iospace posted:

Baseball and, to a somewhat lesser extent, hockey definitely lack the big personalities you get in football and basketball in the US.

Though a lot of people (you can probably guess who) really, really hate it in football.

As much as there's a dearth of real personalities in the NHL, part of me enjoys watching a sport where so far no players have publicly expressed their belief that the world is flat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

Yeah just from a pure entertainment standpoint they've been great

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If Nashville wins there's nothing wrong with the Blackhawks, they just got in the way of destiny. You can't dispute that!

The east sank their own boat when it started to look like the Penguins are set for another finals appearance, everyone hates a repeat winner.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Blues are out of the playoffs.

I just need Patrick Eaves to play and help the Ducks win game 7.

So close....

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

iospace posted:

Probably for a few reasons:

1. PK
2. They're a fresh face this deep in the playoffs.
3. PK
4. ???
5. Their fans are awesome.

Add on to that lolCaps schadenfreude about Forsberg being a breakout star.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I really hope AV plays Buchnevich tomorrow :ohdear:

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Jovial Cow posted:

I really hope AV plays Buchnevich tomorrow :ohdear:

He'll likley do that, but also play Girardi and Staal for the last 5 minutes to "lock" down the game. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Chad Sexington posted:

This time of year is weird. People at work that couldn't be paid to watch hockey normally are now coming to talk to me about it just because the game was on NBC. It's making me uncomfortable.

I guess the silver lining is that tonight we can hide our shame on NBC Sports.

Same. Though we biked to the Preds game yesterday wearing jerseys and on the way home people kept yelling "go Preds!" at us from cars or asking about the game at stoplights which was pretty :glomp:

• Locked thread