Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I like that the DnD game is a running thing through the whole game rather than just in a single lab, it really drives home what massive nerds live in the station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

n4 posted:

I love the audiolog of the D&D game where the guy interjects his name is STABFELLOW.

Also love that option to push the fat guy on the question that doesn't mention a fat guy.

CAPTAIN stabfellow

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I like that the DnD game is a running thing through the whole game rather than just in a single lab, it really drives home what massive nerds live in the station.

That, and the nerf crossbow being on like every other computer got a good chuckle out of me.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
There is also a little battlebots league going on in the power plant. The station is filled with bored nerds!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Palpek posted:

I don't know if everybody gets that but there's this one fabricator with an item stuck in it that you can't directly pick up and when you turn it on to get it it turns into a mimic.

That jumpscare is practically after you pick up the Psychoscope with Mimic Finder chip and just lol if you're not creeping around at the speed of a snail everywhere, using it so that you wouldn't get jumpscared by a mimic ever again.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

The Walrus posted:

CAPTAIN stabfellow

I actually really liked Elias Black, he's one of the guys that really brings it that home this huge station of a hundred odd jerks is an actual workplace.

He's jumpy to his boss cause there's poo poo in the vents, he's an enthusiastic member of the local tabletop group and he's black mailing that chick in sales for stealing neural mods on a tip from his security buddy in sim lab:v:.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Question about the ending: why the gently caress are they operators and not people?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

n4 posted:

Question about the ending: why the gently caress are they operators and not people?

This is entirely speculation but I assumed that it was meant to show that, despite it being a simulation those robots were also 'logged in' and acting out the roles of those people who maybe didn't exist in the real world, since all of them existed basically to test if you had empathy for living things or not. Of course this makes less sense given Alex, so maybe I'm entirely off base. :shrug:

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Anyone know why my game is freezing sometimes when I or the game quicksaves? Also freezes up for a few seconds when a tutorial or something appears. It never crashes though. Just hangs for 20ish seconds and then continues on.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Is the increase PSi pool a human skill? Thinking about doing the Typhon only run but it's weird that would be under the human skills and not alien

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Is the increase PSi pool a human skill? Thinking about doing the Typhon only run but it's weird that would be under the human skills and not alien

It makes sense when you think about it, Humans naturally have psionic aptitude according to datalogs, we just couldn't do much with it without Typhon stuff.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lakbay posted:

I'm not sure but there is an easy way to tell, when you get access to the Typhon abilities, put a point into a psi upgrade and see if Alex gives his "see this is real power" speech.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It makes sense when you think about it, Humans naturally have psionic aptitude according to datalogs, we just couldn't do much with it without Typhon stuff.

Also to give people doing a Human only run with Combat Focus a bone

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The real struggle on Typhon only or No Neuromods is having default inventory space.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
At least for Typhon psi hypos are tiny and super plentiful so you won't need room for as much gun ammo. For No Neuromods uhhh good luck

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I imagine that a No Neuromods runs would probably try to skip as much combat as possible and just get the fastest possible ending.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

n4 posted:

My theory: Everyone make a backup montly. January, February, ... December. In case you die, they can put your last backup in a robot. That give you some sort of immortality. I think everyone died, and Alex Yu is in some ugly station around earth, while earth is getting devoured alive by the aliens. You are a (he) backup plan to solve the mess, by building a way to make the aliens friendly.

hehehe... Get it? You are a Backup plan. You are probably March inyected into a alien

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I imagine that a No Neuromods runs would probably try to skip as much combat as possible and just get the fastest possible ending.

Yeah, someone already did a 45m speed run of the game so I'm sure you can skip a ton of stuff if you're just blazing through for achievements.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, someone already did a 45m speed run of the game so I'm sure you can skip a ton of stuff if you're just blazing through for achievements.

A lot of that involved exploiting door glitches though so it wouldn't be so easy on a legit run

To me the hardest part would probably be a lack of repair/hacking skills. All the combat stuff is nice but it sucks to be straight up locked out of a lot of places.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

n4 posted:

Alex says the scenario was based on memories of real events, so presumably the originals died in the original incident. Presumably they got personality copies the same way Morgan did with January and December and they had to put those in the simulation so it would be as close to the real thing as possible.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Tei posted:

My theory: Everyone make a backup montly. January, February, ... December. In case you die, they can put your last backup in a robot. That give you some sort of immortality. I think everyone died, and Alex Yu is in some ugly station around earth, while earth is getting devoured alive by the aliens. You are a (he) backup plan to solve the mess, by building a way to make the aliens friendly.

hehehe... Get it? You are a Backup plan. You are probably March inyected into a alien

That's my guess too. And December is basically an "admission" that the plan from January didn't work!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvqaRRtx25c&t=524s
[time stamp 8:44]

Hope they release this (trauma/survival system)

Hearing that Arx Fatalis' strcture was a major inspiration for Prey makes me want to finally give that game a chance.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ending: since it's all a sim I wonder if save scumming is canon, or if they went through all this trouble making this monster and the hyper real simulation just to go "well, it died in five mins to a mimic. pack it up, we are all doomed"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maaannn, I get why Alex's voice acting is more "just a normal guy, smarter than you but under extreme duress" than "evil scientist desperate to defend his work", but god I wish he didn't sound like he was about to fall asleep for half the game.

edit: "I cut off access to Place You Want To Go... I know this isn't what you want but it is how it has to be... Sorry.... Morgan..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Ending: since it's all a sim I wonder if save scumming is canon, or if they went through all this trouble making this monster and the hyper real simulation just to go "well, it died in five mins to a mimic. pack it up, we are all doomed"

"Who is December?" spoilers One of the operators during the game over screen of that says "start it up again" so yes save scumming is canon

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

n4 posted:

So the game could allow you to murder all of them without it requiring a work-intensive alternate ending sequence.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I just got to the point of unlocking typhon mods. I guess these are like psi skills from SS2?

I'm considering just ignoring them on this run and sticking to human only for the achievements, and do typhon next playthrough. Dumb idea?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Anti-Hero posted:

I just got to the point of unlocking typhon mods. I guess these are like psi skills from SS2?

I'm considering just ignoring them on this run and sticking to human only for the achievements, and do typhon next playthrough. Dumb idea?

You can do whatever you want :rory:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, that crazy OOB speedrun that was 44:06 yesterday... is now 19:34.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The only dumb idea would be no neuromods on a first run unless you're some kind of masochist or savant

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

By the way, that crazy OOB speedrun that was 44:06 yesterday... is now 19:34.

I like that he skipped getting the suit so he runs through the thing in his underwear.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You know it's a super minor thing in the grand scheme of things but I actually really enjoy how opening sequence (pre-getting knocked out by gas) IS actually in the neuromod division physically. It would have been easy for them to have it be a separate map and put you in the 'set' after you woke up. But they did infact make an entirely functional sim lab, and that's awesome.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

n4 posted:

From a gameplay perspective its because it builds on the existing multiple approach system that you've been using so far. You can kill them like regular enemies but the operator stations will constantly redeploy new ones unless you can block them off. You can try to hide from them like regular enemies but until you destroy your tracker they know where you are. Also its probably easier than making a whole new enemy type.

You can also look at symbolism or whatever and how your use of the stations resources to survive has been subverted and turned into a weapon against you to make Dahl more of a threat.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You know it's a super minor thing in the grand scheme of things but I actually really enjoy how opening sequence (pre-getting knocked out by gas) IS actually in the neuromod division physically. It would have been easy for them to have it be a separate map and put you in the 'set' after you woke up. But they did infact make an entirely functional sim lab, and that's awesome.

it reminds me of the Clockwork Mansion in Dishonored 2--another level that not only shows you what is happening behind the scenes but also lets you completely "break" the level by Blinking into the guts of the walls and sneaking through most of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that you can go through and finish the test that you got interrupted in the middle of (and get a cheevo for doing so :downs:).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Pwnstar posted:

From a gameplay perspective its because it builds on the existing multiple approach system that you've been using so far. You can kill them like regular enemies but the operator stations will constantly redeploy new ones unless you can block them off. You can try to hide from them like regular enemies but until you destroy your tracker they know where you are. Also its probably easier than making a whole new enemy type.

You can also look at symbolism or whatever and how your use of the stations resources to survive has been subverted and turned into a weapon against you to make Dahl more of a threat.

I think the quote is about the denouement with Typhon-Morgan

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

n4 posted:

To completely obfuscate the status of everyone but Alex. If they're dead then it's a back up ala January, if alive then they're remote viewing the situation from another safe zone and only Alex is enough of a red blooded mad scientist to stand within arms reach of the creature rising from the slab.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

More opening stuff: I also found out you can escape via breaking the aquarium in the hallway rather than breaking the glass in your room. Neat.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Maaannn, I get why Alex's voice acting is more "just a normal guy, smarter than you but under extreme duress" than "evil scientist desperate to defend his work", but god I wish he didn't sound like he was about to fall asleep for half the game.

edit: "I cut off access to Place You Want To Go... I know this isn't what you want but it is how it has to be... Sorry.... Morgan..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Oh man, I disagree. Maybe it's because I chose girl Morgan and the first thing he says to me is "you look good in that suit" which well and truly creeped me out. There's a lot of lines where he tries to sound all warm and brotherly but ends up just seeming deranged, I thought it was a great effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

an actual dog posted:

Oh man, I disagree. Maybe it's because I chose girl Morgan and the first thing he says to me is "you look good in that suit" which well and truly creeped me out. There's a lot of lines where he tries to sound all warm and brotherly but ends up just seeming deranged, I thought it was a great effect.

I-
No, I think that's just you.