Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
nigga look like he ate an rg3 taco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

i love andy dalton and im going to kiss him

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Volkerball posted:

Andey would be a better high school guidance counselor than Mel

Well duh, school's out by 4, Andey would never have to work on Sunday, Monday or Thursday nights.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Eli Wiggum posted:

nigga look like he ate an rg3 taco

or a manas steak

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

knowing things is better than not knowing things

know as much things as you can

Don't spend thousands of dollars to learn things that are useless to you just to say that you know them. If someone who's never going to be a chemist wants to read a book on chemistry because he's fascinated by it, great! More power to you my dude. I hope there's a bunch of free resources available to you. If a computer science major is inexplicably being forced to divert attention away from computer science to learn about fuckin moles when he doesn't give a gently caress about all that, that's not so great. That just makes him put less emphasis on what he's actually going to do in life, at no benefit to him. And it costs him money.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 8, 2017

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

did someone say loving moles i got here as soon as i could

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Volkerball posted:

. That just makes him put less emphasis on what he's actually going to do in life, at no benefit to him. And it costs him money.

That only assumes that there is a very high correlation between degree and occupation for the majority of people. Approximately only 30-50% of college grads get a career in the field of their major. The Majority of people ending up using their supplementary knowledge in their career as much as or more than the knowledge related to your field.

Colleges exist to develop someone into a classical Western thinker, and training them to be capable of intellectual and occupational pursuits from more than a limited range of focus.

There are schools that train you how to get a job, they are called Technical Colleges.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
What kind of moles arevwe talking about here

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Classical Western Thinker

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

a neat cape posted:

No no no it's mole, like the sauce. :ese:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Sour Diesel posted:

Classical Western Thinker

this just means you play mass effect instead of persona

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

sean10mm posted:

No no no it's mole, like the sauce. :ese:

gently caress yes

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

a patagonian cavy posted:

this just means you play Red Dead Redemption instead of persona

Correct answer is Witcher 3 anyway.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Correct answer is Witcher 3 anyway.

ah, the famed slavic mindset

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I love this mole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlL1yFEaK4U

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Mole sauce is delicious.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

imagine talking to mel

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That only assumes that there is a very high correlation between degree and occupation for the majority of people. Approximately only 30-50% of college grads get a career in the field of their major. The Majority of people ending up using their supplementary knowledge in their career as much as or more than the knowledge related to your field.

Colleges exist to develop someone into a classical Western thinker, and training them to be capable of intellectual and occupational pursuits from more than a limited range of focus.

There are schools that train you how to get a job, they are called Technical Colleges.

That's because college kids come in with the bare minimum of knowledge and have only demonstrated an ability to "learn." Eat, digest, pass, poo poo it out, and move on to the next subject. There's no retention. I'm miles ahead of the kids I see graduating here because a lot of the technical classes that involve things that you would need to know on a daily basis in the industry, are fairly easy classes. So they do the bare minimum there, and walk out with a B and no knowledge. Experience trumps that every day of the week. And I already have a decade of experience in my field, and will be remaining in it for the rest of my life with or without a degree. So generalized education really grinds my gears. I might have to look into a different school that fits my needs better, because working full time and then coming home to do a book report is just not going to be worth my time. I'm not optimistic I'll find something though.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

This is my last finals week ever (unless I do grad school). I dunno if I should miss it or not.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

a neat cape posted:

The atomic mass of an element multiplied by avogadros number to give you a molar mass of one mole of that element

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
THIS IS IMPORTANT SA2K

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

I have a minor in chemistry AMA

Actually don't because I hate chemistry too

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Volkerball posted:

That's because college kids come in with the bare minimum of knowledge and have only demonstrated an ability to "learn." Eat, digest, pass, poo poo it out, and move on to the next subject. There's no retention. I'm miles ahead of the kids I see graduating here because a lot of the technical classes that involve things that you would need to know on a daily basis in the industry, are fairly easy classes. So they do the bare minimum there, and walk out with a B and no knowledge. Experience trumps that every day of the week. And I already have a decade of experience in my field, and will be remaining in it for the rest of my life with or without a degree. So generalized education really grinds my gears. I might have to look into a different school that fits my needs better, because working full time and then coming home to do a book report is just not going to be worth my time. I'm not optimistic I'll find something though.

I can completely understand why you are frustrated.

Unfortunately, for some reason colleges have become the de facto "do this to get a good job" educational institution despite the fact universities were never designed for that sort of focus or priority.

I complete agree asking someone looking specifically for focused instruction is not going to get what they want from a university. What worries me is that people seem to think universities should change to focus on job training rather than building a better system of vocational education outside of the university system.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Bill Dungsroman posted:

I have a minor in chemistry AMA

Actually don't because I hate chemistry too

better than having chemistry with a minor, which is what they do, at penn state

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

lol

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

My experience with chem 101 was being poo poo at math and having a sucky prof so I got a "C" the first time and it didn't count. Took it again as an intensive summer course and it was better because that professor was 50-something beach bum lookin' dude who knew how to explain things. He jumped up your rear end if he had to say anything twice though.

I was also loading trucks at night to pay for school and ended up getting 4 hours of sleep per night for over a month. I was drinking 2 liters of Mountain Dew and about the same amount of coffee a day and still had to gently stab myself with a pen to stay awake in class. :emo:

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
if i could i'd click the like button on my own posts

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
2 liters of Mountain Dew a day is...not healthy

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Goddamn

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Haha!

Yes....yes!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Dubious posted:

if i could i'd click the like button on my own posts

They're good bro. I lick the screen when I see your av.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I can completely understand why you are frustrated.

Unfortunately, for some reason colleges have become the de facto "do this to get a good job" educational institution despite the fact universities were never designed for that sort of focus or priority.

I complete agree asking someone looking specifically for focused instruction is not going to get what they want from a university. What worries me is that people seem to think universities should change to focus on job training rather than building a better system of vocational education outside of the university system.

I agree with you there, but that's because I think college should be free. If it was free, then you don't have the whole debt/return on investment thing, and people can do whatever they want in college without stressing about job training. But as it stands, at an individual level, college is a product and you are a consumer. As long as that dynamic exists, you need to view it through the capitalist lense, because that's certainly the lens through which it views you.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Eli Wiggum posted:

Nah man thems good carbs. Word is you need 300 grams of them a day. That's what I heard

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I'm glad something of worth to passerby came out of this conversation.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Volkerball posted:

I agree with you there, but that's because I think college should be free. If it was free, then you don't have the whole debt/return on investment thing, and people can do whatever they want in college without stressing about job training. But as it stands, at an individual level, college is a product and you are a consumer. As long as that dynamic exists, you need to view it through the capitalist lense, because that's certainly the lens it through which it views you.

College should not be free.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Eli Wiggum posted:

Caffeine gives me heart palpatations now! :shepface:

In all fairness that only developed years later.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Volkerball posted:

I agree with you there, but that's because I think college should be free. I

Agreed

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

College should not be free.

Any not awful pats fan, might want to make your presence known now.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
When I cared I was going through 3 monsters a day and started having these weird chest pains whenever I stayed awake for more than 40 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

you both raise some interesting points but what i think is *mashes a button that plays that gimme some ganja sample from DNA over and over*

• Locked thread