Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

this is the worst troll in this thread so far

"you know what would sound real sweet? a dissonant pile of poo poo that i threw together in a weekend" - the vile sondheim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

:smuggo: Looks like a certain poster was ahead of his time with these gems from April 2016.

And bonus quote from the same page of that thread...

I only remember these because my hatred for tee vee provoked an outpouring of care and mad.

this is the only good #content in this nightmare thread

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Problem with the Wire is how it promoted the concept of the virtous cop. Having the cops be protagonists in a city with some of the worst police brutality in real life was pretty gross.

Still enjoyable television, but not worthy of the thousands of college freshmen lecturing people at parties to "watch the wire and you'll totally get it man"

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Breaking bad sucked. Is that what this thread is for?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
All 5 seasons of The Wire's theme song sucked.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

All 5 seasons of The Wire's theme song sucked.

hosed up and untrue

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

Problem with the Wire is how it promoted the concept of the virtous cop. Having the cops be protagonists in a city with some of the worst police brutality in real life was pretty gross.

Still enjoyable television, but not worthy of the thousands of college freshmen lecturing people at parties to "watch the wire and you'll totally get it man"

It also frequently showed police brutality and its effects on civilians

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

did you even watch the show?

Serf
May 5, 2011

the wire is the best show i've ever seen and season 2 is the best season. chapo doesn't seem to understand the show, but that's okay

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

little munchkin posted:

did you even watch the show?

It was more chummy animosity than the brutal antagonism that existed/exists. Herc was lightly roughing kids up in S1 and then Bunk was doing the fake lie detector in S4.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Prez blinded that kid in one eye.

There's also that Colvin speech at the end of Season 3 about how modern cops are awful at the actual "policing" thing

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

On the most recent ep. Was it time Faust saying about the French article "it's a good cartoon"

Further evidence that chapo is simply the forums as a podcast.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

matt needs to watch the Leftovers, the best show on TV

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

:respek:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Unnamed One posted:

Prez blinded that kid in one eye.

There's also that Colvin speech at the end of Season 3 about how modern cops are awful at the actual "policing" thing

Also that Nazi looking guy broke a kid's finger and there was an interrogation scene where they deliberately beat the poo poo out of a guy just for being an rear end in a top hat.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

S1 didn't grab me, much as I like the basic conceit of "Left Behind, but if people actually behaved like real human beings."

Should I give it another chance?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Matt needs to watch anime.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Guy Goodbody posted:

Matt needs to watch anime.

The dry boys are way too booj.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

S1 didn't grab me, much as I like the basic conceit of "Left Behind, but if people actually behaved like real human beings."

I am in this boat but supposedly it got way better

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

imo season 2 is the best season of tv ever made (that i've seen)

maybe that sets up too high of expectations, but yes give it another chance

Wraith of J.O.I. fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 8, 2017

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Brutality happened, but it was either 1. Terrible cops who are basically Hitler or 2. Redeemed by being a selfless teacher at a inner city school or being a mentor rushing to a hospital to be upset about "one of the good ones"

Didn't do nearly enough go make clear just how pervasive and structurally institutional brutality in police departments, and that's it's not just bad apples. Instead, it tried to have its cake and eat it too by still somehow having cops be virtous.

edit: s1 and s2 were good about it, but s3 really walked back a lot of it with the school storyline

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 8, 2017

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think it's possible to grade Hamilton (the musical) and Hamilton (the sociopolitical phenomenon) as almost separate things using different rubrics. The quality of the show or music itself doesn't necessarily relate to how it became a symbol of an out-of-touch liberal elite elevating something to such a degree that not only did it become financially unavailable to the public that these people are preaching its virtues at, but even became a replacement for actual policy to help people. The fact that these idiots literally raised money to try and get underprivileged kids to see the show (because it was prohibitively expensive to see thanks to demand and all the hype around it propagated by the very same people raising said money) in lieu of actually using the same passion and resources to address the fundamental issues said poor children actually face in educational disadvantages/hunger/healthcare is something worth discussing; but whether that makes the musical itself bad is another thing entirely.

Hamilton became a useful synecdoche for a lot of the things liberals have hypocritically lauded but placed an undue premium on, coinciding with things like charter schools or Whole Foods as replacement for healthcare and food deserts: a "let them eat cake" for the Obama/Trump era. Unfortunately I have no idea whether this social phenomenon is because of the ideology within the show itself, or if it is by pure happenstance.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Counterpoint: NEW TWIN PEAKS IN TWO WEEKS MOTHERFUCKER WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Also Westworld got me through a 30-hour round trip flight I had to take because of a family health emergency, so I like it just fine

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Breath of the Wild is better than Breaking Bad and The Wire combined.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

little munchkin posted:

i'm glad all these people came in here and explained to us that Hamilton fans don't actually have lovely politics, they actually have lovely taste in music

lmao

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the most politically accurate game ever made is Fatal Fury

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Alaois posted:

the most politically accurate game ever made is Fatal Fury

I thought it was Streets of Rage

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Kunster posted:

There was this 3rd point people they glossed over regarding UBI/Work No Longer being a thing (Which only framed on dreamless liberals and calvinist jerks), which would be that it would outright gut a lot of services that do address the more vulnerable (Disabled folk coming to mind) on the excuse they were already getting money thru UBI, explaining part why that sorta stuff appealed a bunch to Cato Institute types.
This 100%. I think UBI is a lot better than the failed safety net we currently have in place but demand for it needs to be championed by the right, not the left.

This episode made me depressed as gently caress because Matt bothered bringing up the elephant in the room (when automation replaces a need for human labor, citizens are going to lose their relevance to pretty much any political/economic system) and nobody had anything resembling a solution and they immediately reverted to contemporary complaints about capitalism. Is there any viable vision of the future outside transhumanism that can assuage my anxiety about all this stuff?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

EverettLO posted:

Tim Faust used the 'A Good Cartoon' meme from the D&D polititoons thread. I only mention this because pages of argument over who is or is not a goon cures my erectile dysfunction.

lol came here to post this

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Conrad_Birdie posted:

counterpoint: 1776 sucks balls and forgets to be a musical for long stretches of time and Hamilton explicitly shows Phillip Hamilton as a cocksure rear end in a top hat who starts fights and then gets chumped for being a dick.

Counter counterpoint: 1776 owns, gently caress you, Ben Franklin is the best

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

is But Mr Adams about volcel or incel?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

snucks posted:

This 100%. I think UBI is a lot better than the failed safety net we currently have in place but demand for it needs to be championed by the right, not the left.

This episode made me depressed as gently caress because Matt bothered bringing up the elephant in the room (when automation replaces a need for human labor, citizens are going to lose their relevance to pretty much any political/economic system) and nobody had anything resembling a solution and they immediately reverted to contemporary complaints about capitalism. Is there any viable vision of the future outside transhumanism that can assuage my anxiety about all this stuff?

The global proletariat is going to be liquidated once it becomes superfluous. As automation and artificial intelligence creep onward capital will no longer need any human component at all to perpetuate itself and eventually humanity will be erased, leaving a dead planet full of machines tending machines building machines forever.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

is But Mr Adams about volcel or incel?

Thomas Jefferson plays the Violin, giving his wife triple digit orgasms which inspire him to write the Declaration of Independence

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

EverettLO posted:

Tim Faust used the 'A Good Cartoon' meme from the D&D polititoons thread. I only mention this because pages of argument over who is or is not a goon cures my erectile dysfunction.
People seriously argue over this? I'm a new Grey Wolf so I've missed a lot of that, but its pretty obvious given how many references there have been to this site and that they're mostly followed up with no questions from the other people on the podcast.

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

eonwe posted:

I started listening to this yesterday and I'm loving it

YAY!!!

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

eonwe posted:

I started listening to this yesterday and I'm loving it

Btw, there are two episodes where they role play a Call of Cthulhu session set in the 1920s. (IMHO though, I wouldn't necessarily skip straight to those, a lot of throw back references to earlier episodes.)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Neeksy posted:

I think it's possible to grade Hamilton (the musical) and Hamilton (the sociopolitical phenomenon) as almost separate things using different rubrics. The quality of the show or music itself doesn't necessarily relate to how it became a symbol of an out-of-touch liberal elite

the two are intertwined though

if hamilton was just another regular musical with typical showtune type songs it wouldn't have become the liberal shibboleth it is

it's because it uses faux-representational diversity and corny early 90s rap to broadcast a sort of cultural authenticity while papering over the historical hamilton's actual anti-democratic politics and by lin manuel miranda's own admission didn't touch slavery to keep the show upbeat that it appeals to a certain set of out of touch liberals

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 9, 2017

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

TomViolence posted:

The global proletariat is going to be liquidated once it becomes superfluous. As automation and artificial intelligence creep onward capital will no longer need any human component at all to perpetuate itself and eventually humanity will be erased, leaving a dead planet full of machines tending machines building machines forever.
UH HEY BUD I SPECIFICALLY ASKED FOR A VIABLE VISION OUTSIDE TRANSHUMANISM :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

I really need to reread Origins of Totalitarianism and remember what happened to all those superfluous liquidatable people at the beginning of the previous century, surely that will calm my nerves

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
out of touch doesnt mean anything anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

TomViolence posted:

Hey, I just finished Horizon Zero Dawn too.