Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

jre posted:

Massive lol at this

not really

adding people slows the project down, ideally temporarily (over the course of weeks) but brooks wasn't wrong and people don't still read his poo poo for fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

not really

adding people slows the project down, ideally temporarily (over the course of weeks) but brooks wasn't wrong and people don't still read his poo poo for fun

Hiring right now is loving brutal, and if you're letting a good hire get away because you read the mythical man month last week, loving lol

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Also the reason for the month gap is that their HR and recruitment people are incompetent, and probably their senior management too

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

jre posted:

Also the reason for the month gap is that their HR and recruitment people are incompetent, and probably their senior management too
I love it because It's such a good indication that you do or don't want to work there; so many general positive and negative traits of working for a company boil down to how responsive they are(n't)

if they're so deep fighting fires that no one has time to interview and then onboard people, or if their HR dept is obviously incompetent, it'd be like hopping on the last traincar when the front is already plunging down the cliff

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 8, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jre posted:

i mean, apple took over a month to go from emails to phone screen with me but i figured "it's apple, i'll deal". but if joe's app 'n' crap was like "sorry we were real busy but waiting shows your commitment" i'd tell them to gently caress off.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Management posted:

I had an hour long shared coding interview with these guys. after silence for a month, they decided they want to continue. their recruiter called me this morning and when I told him I was not interested in continuing he hung up on me. an hour later I got this:

lots of red flags here.

say you're interested just so they connect with the engineering team and you can tell them their recruiter is garbage

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

poemdexter posted:

Say hello to our new employee!

(she's an intern for technical recruiting)

to be fair Tumblr is probably the best language for writing modern microaggression services

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DuckConference posted:

to be fair Tumblr is probably the best language for writing modern microaggression services

holy poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

DuckConference posted:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

DuckConference posted:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

DuckConference posted:

jackpot

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
lol at listing Prezi on your resume for anything ever

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

DuckConference posted:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

DuckConference posted:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DuckConference posted:

lmao

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

DuckConference posted:

piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssss

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one think I like about contract jobs is there's way less lag, I went from the initial contracting agency contact to an offer in 3 weeks at my current gig

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
uh so apparently this contract-to-hire gig is way better than i thought. when we were initially discussing wages i offered up a decent number for salary leaving off the implied thousands and now that we're coming back to discuss final particulars apparently they took (and accepted) that as an hourly wage :stare:

kinda hope this job works out now

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
so you had a 1 hour shared coding interview, and they wanted to have another phone screen before they scheduled an onsite? and it took a month for them to get back to you?

honestly they wasted that dev's hour because so few people are going to respond back positively after a month of waiting unless they're absolutely desperate, which may or may not be what you're looking for in a hire. candidates should get responses on everything no more than 48 business hours after something happens (in the worst case, a response that they'll hear the final answer by X). they should be able to schedule their next event within the next 2 weeks. if you can't do that then you're losing candidates for no fault of your actual lovely culture.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

DuckConference posted:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FamDav posted:

so you had a 1 hour shared coding interview, and they wanted to have another phone screen before they scheduled an onsite? and it took a month for them to get back to you?

yep, mind boggling. it's not like they're even flying me out of town, this two phone screen thing is ridiculous.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PierreTheMime posted:

uh so apparently this contract-to-hire gig is way better than i thought. when we were initially discussing wages i offered up a decent number for salary leaving off the implied thousands and now that we're coming back to discuss final particulars apparently they took (and accepted) that as an hourly wage :stare:

kinda hope this job works out now

so they're paying you twice what you asked for?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

The Management posted:

so they're paying you twice what you asked for?

slightly more than two times yeah. they're having me out wed to view the place and talk with management so it's looking serious. im not sure why this amount reveal concerns me more than the work which is right in line with what I do now, but how on earth does someone think my basic computer touching is worth this

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

slightly more than two times yeah. they're having me out wed to view the place and talk with management so it's looking serious. im not sure why this amount reveal concerns me more than the work which is right in line with what I do now, but how on earth does someone think my basic computer touching is worth this

because to them, it is.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

The Management posted:

yep, mind boggling. it's not like they're even flying me out of town, this two phone screen thing is ridiculous.

manager one passed after having you for final consideration between another candidate. another manager still doesn't have their req filled and manager one passes your resume over to them saying you were good and might be a fit for your team, but they kept terrible notes and manager two doesn't trust manager one so they are essentially starting the whole interview over for a different position with the same title in the department.

e: tldr their process is hosed

TerminalRaptor fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 8, 2017

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PierreTheMime posted:

if it's a for real contract position then this is normal. be sure to save a lot of it because it also means your contracts will actually be up in the air when they expire

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Rex-Goliath posted:

if it's a for real contract position then this is normal. be sure to save a lot of it because it also means your contracts will actually be up in the air when they expire

it's a contract with intent to hire. they're going to pay for my training and get me up to speed and if they like me they'll make an offer. at least that's how it's been sold to me from both the recruiter and the company itself

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I have a phone screen with Amazon and the guy has asked if I have any outstanding offers... should I mention that I'm doing interviews with another big company?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

DuckConference posted:

I have a phone screen with Amazon and the guy has asked if I have any outstanding offers... should I mention that I'm doing interviews with another big company?

"I'd rather not say, and instead focus on how my skillset can help out at Amazon."

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

poemdexter posted:

"I'd rather not say, and instead focus on how my skillset can help out at Amazon."

yeah say this is you were having trouble communicating how weird of a goober you are

otherwise "no offers, but I'm actively interviewing, I'll be sure to let you know if I do get any offers or we need to adjust the timetable"

its a scheduling question, yo

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
if you DO have another offer at any point in the process, let the recruiter know and watch them bend heaven & VP schedules for you

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

DuckConference posted:

I would personally, I did when I was interviewing. I don't know if it helped, but it didn't hurt for my current job. It lets them know you're shopping around and might also accelerate the process.

I'd say the only time it might hurt is if you're applying for something really specific and want to broadcast that this is ALL you want to do.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
telling a recruiter you have an offer puts them into turbo mode. if you want to accelerate the process, that's the way to do it. but you really don't want that unless you really need them to act fast

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

DuckConference posted:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

DuckConference posted:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

PierreTheMime posted:

it's a contract with intent to hire. they're going to pay for my training and get me up to speed and if they like me they'll make an offer. at least that's how it's been sold to me from both the recruiter and the company itself

get it in writing.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Minnesota Mixup posted:

get it in writing.
you mean, like a... contract? :haw:

nowhere is going to guarantee you a permanent position but get your figgies while you're contract and it might work out. I've been converted to full time twice in my career and the job before this one it was the only way they hired people

JawnV6 posted:

if you DO have another offer at any point in the process, let the recruiter know and watch them bend heaven & VP schedules for you
yeah this was my experience as well

then they made a stupid lowball offer and I rejected them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"wow this guy is perfect for this position, we'd better get an offer out for 10k less than he said his minimum was immediately"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My company axed our mechanical engineer today. To be fair, they tried for 2 years to get him to become motivated, but it just wasn't a good fit.

New guy's name is Doug. He better like beets or I'm not going to like him. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
today i got to watch my boss and their boss poo poo their pants because i got an offer from another department in the company with a 10% raise and they don't know if they can counter (both are hourly and my company "generally doesn't" allow counter offers for hourly). direct boss knows they wouldn't be in this position if they'd promoted me and given me time to get up to speed instead of boss' boss insisting on going to an agency (which we've never done before) to get someone "with experience" - i put that in quotes because half the job is just learning how our company does things because we're unique and beautiful snowflakes

this schadenfreude is tempered by the fact i'm not certain I want other job. lots of pluses, lots of minuses, lots of conflicting advice from mentors/friends.

thanks for the void yospos

• Locked thread