Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Lol. I went early to Lego Lynwood but I braved that same storm to take my kid to Chuck E Cheese. gently caress that place. Never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Feenix posted:

Lol. I went early to Lego Lynwood but I braved that same storm to take my kid to Chuck E Cheese. gently caress that place. Never again.

Gotta go in with the right mindset. I go there with the niece & nephew once a month or so. Though, the one in Tacoma nerfed some of their games, replaced even more ticket games with normal arcade games, and had a lot of games offline, and the drat floor staff not checking on the games (seriously, can't one guy just walk around and constantly be checking to make sure the games aren't flashing their big ERR messages and emptying out the drat ticket counters? Why do I have to spend 5 minutes looking for one to get him to fix a dispenser?).
I basically see it as low-stakes gambling and dump a hundred bucks on food and tokens to get my niece & nephew a couple crappy toys worth $30. And the rare skill-based machines can actually have comparatively decent payouts!

And then I see Best Lock sets on the prize wall for 2500 tickets and my heart hardens.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Off topic but last post:

The pizza is a motherfucking war crime. There was a dad there yelling and being belligerent at a floor staff gal for 10 minutes over god knows what super important pizza or videogame/related thing, and then a cop showed up to file a report or some poo poo

Also, all the games are just iPhone games. Subway Surfers, Fruit Ninja, Crossy Road... etc.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Rage posted:

I missed the boat on the Snowspeeder yesterday. What are the odds there'll be one at a lego b&m tomorrow?

My store still had a bunch of them yesterday evening, so it's high.

It's very high.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Feenix posted:

Off topic but last post:

The pizza is a motherfucking war crime. There was a dad there yelling and being belligerent at a floor staff gal for 10 minutes over god knows what super important pizza or videogame/related thing, and then a cop showed up to file a report or some poo poo

Also, all the games are just iPhone games. Subway Surfers, Fruit Ninja, Crossy Road... etc.

The pizza is designed to make as little mess as possible. They weren't lab testing it for things like "flavor".

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Built the Snowspeeder today, bags 1-9, late lunch, then 10-13. It was pretty fun! The only time it felt tedious was the wing detailing, even the plate foundation of the wings was fun, and there's not very much technic compared to a lot of other large models.

The_Doctor posted:

My store still had a bunch of them yesterday evening, so it's high.

It's very high.

The Captain said I had to buy one.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Does anyone know what the RRP in australia will be for the Saturn V? I'm guessing like $400AUD because LEGO has a gently caress you australia attitude like most multinationals.

I say this because I bought my SSD from the USA estore, had it shipped to a friend who reshipped it to me and saved myself like $200AUD

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
I'm taking my family to legoland California and I was wondering what the best ticket deals are. Anybody know the ins and outs for that? We're planning two days at the park, and we aren't staying in the hotel.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Built my U-Wing (completely bypassing the VW Beetle and a Creator set on my to build pile), and I was surprised (a) how complicated a build it was, much more so than any modular, and (2) how big and chunky it turned out when done. I've not swooshed a spaceship since I got back into Lego (Benny's Spaceshipx3 is too big) but this is eminently swooshable.

My only complaint is something mentioned earlier, that the lower compartment is too small and fiddly to get minifigs in and out.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Cloks posted:

Why do you want to collect them all? You've clearly indicated that you don't want a lot of them. Just buy the ones you like and don't worry about having complete sets.

I guess i subconsciously don't want to permanently commit a bunch of money to a toy i might or might not care about in the future and if i buy complete sets they are easier to sell off in the event i decide to sell off all my Lego.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Ended up getting a Snowspeeder and R2 yesterday! Now I just need to make an online order and get that little Milano they're giving away.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Do you MOC builders, or MOC-Builder fans... know of/employ any techniques for addiing friction to things like ball joints or rods-in-holes that support weight?

Am I asking this clearly enough? Like if you build a mech or a robot, say, and its legs are supporting a lot of weight, but they connect to the torso with nothing but a donut (or a u-clip) on a rod.

This pic: https://www.flickr.com/photos/obedientmachine/34414986266/in/dateposted/ is what made me think to ask... but I've experienced it myself, of course.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only trick I know of is putting rods into cones.. I think we're all familiar with getting antenna stuck in them (it's because the diameter of the hole is slightly smaller than normal tolerances for lego, so once you get them in there they're almost welded together).

As for the link you posted, I think that's just friction and prayer. The builder jammed all the axle bushings as tight as they could and hoped no one pushed at it.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Ineptitude posted:

I guess i subconsciously don't want to permanently commit a bunch of money to a toy i might or might not care about in the future and if i buy complete sets they are easier to sell off in the event i decide to sell off all my Lego.

If you are looking for someone to split future boxes with, I'm always down to buy a full set at once.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xzzy posted:

The only trick I know of is putting rods into cones.. I think we're all familiar with getting antenna stuck in them (it's because the diameter of the hole is slightly smaller than normal tolerances for lego, so once you get them in there they're almost welded together).

As for the link you posted, I think that's just friction and prayer. The builder jammed all the axle bushings as tight as they could and hoped no one pushed at it.

I've tried Hairspray on the friction points to varying effect. I should have mentioned that in my intial post.

I wonder if you could dab a little of that museum wax (like JUST a little) that they put art and stuff on so it doesn't slide off in an earthquake or something...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got a ton of museum wax, I can give it a try if people want to know the results. Which joints exactly we talking about?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

* vampire hissing noises *

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Baronjutter posted:

I got a ton of museum wax, I can give it a try if people want to know the results. Which joints exactly we talking about?

xzzy posted:

* vampire hissing noises *

Well, first off, I don't mean relying on it to do anything that is physically impossible. Just reinforcing the strength / friction of easily swivelable joints...

For example:

or anywhere weight is going to bear down on something with this level of (lack of) friction...

I wonder if a light coating of hair gel would work, too...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hairspray I think would be a bad idea. It gets very sticky then sets then is useless once the bond snaps, it's almost like CA that way. Museum wax is a wax and just sort of gums things together but with a bit of a snap, but it re-holds over and over unlike hairspray. It also cleans off things really easily so no lego is harmed. I'll give it a try on some common joints and report.

I just use museum wax to hold things like people and vehicles onto my model trains.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Future floor wax for creating friction on pieces. It's what a lot of folks use on transformers to tighten weight-holding joints.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Some comparison shots of the UCS Snowspeeder. I feel it's way out of wack with all the ships.

http://imgur.com/gallery/89VdB

This shot especially, not that i'd pose it like this:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yeah, I kind of have zero interest in UCS stuff because none of it is to a set scale. Even the Tie Fighter and X-Wing are different scales to each other.

Lego and scale is one of my pet peeves. Like the Creator vehicles, as an ongoing line, really should be trying to be scaled together.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I didn't think UCS was supposed to be within the same scale? Just a general average piececount with a handful of exceptions for bigger stuff, like the Falcon and SSD.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nothing lego ever does is to scale, except maybe the city modulars.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, but at least the mini-figures fit in most of em.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Nothing lego ever does is to scale, except maybe the city modulars.

well, "to scale" is a bit of an ask, but they've been internally consistent within lines before. All cars 4 studs wide etc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I want my scale ucs death star the size of the earth's core

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Hermsgervørden posted:

I'm taking my family to legoland California and I was wondering what the best ticket deals are. Anybody know the ins and outs for that? We're planning two days at the park, and we aren't staying in the hotel.

Lego will put a buy one park entrance, get one free on the back of some poly bags. I ended up buying 2 off bricklink, and made sure the seller was including the plastic bag with the coupon. So that cut the price in half pretty quick.

Make sure you and your kids are in clothing that can get wet, it's a lot more of a waterpark than we were expecting. Highlight for the kids was the lego driving school, and when we went, they had the movie set of the basement from the lego movie on display, which was super cool.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Feenix posted:

I've tried Hairspray on the friction points to varying effect. I should have mentioned that in my intial post.

I wonder if you could dab a little of that museum wax (like JUST a little) that they put art and stuff on so it doesn't slide off in an earthquake or something...

I've had good results with clear nail polish, it's tough and doesnt scrape off, and non-acetone remover cleans up without damaging the plastic. I tried the pledge future floor wax and found it to flake off easily.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Hermsgervørden posted:

If your have a Costco membership, I think they have a 3 day pass for $99, and Burger King has coupons for kids to get in free.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, I kind of have zero interest in UCS stuff because none of it is to a set scale. Even the Tie Fighter and X-Wing are different scales to each other.

Lego and scale is one of my pet peeves. Like the Creator vehicles, as an ongoing line, really should be trying to be scaled together.

I think with UCS they're just trying to hit a piece count for most vehicles and the size of the vehicle dictates the scale (Snowspeeder is on a larger scale since it is a smaller vehicle, but uses similar amount of pieces)

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Fozzie Bear posted:

Lego will put a buy one park entrance, get one free on the back of some poly bags. I ended up buying 2 off bricklink, and made sure the seller was including the plastic bag with the coupon. So that cut the price in half pretty quick.

Make sure you and your kids are in clothing that can get wet, it's a lot more of a waterpark than we were expecting. Highlight for the kids was the lego driving school, and when we went, they had the movie set of the basement from the lego movie on display, which was super cool.

Is two days the right amount of time to spend at the park? Is one day enough to get the best of it. We are kinda struggling with the cost of the trip, but we don't want to go for one day and feel like we missed half the attractions, or that we rushed and stressed out over covering too much ground.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

Hermsgervørden posted:

Is two days the right amount of time to spend at the park? Is one day enough to get the best of it. We are kinda struggling with the cost of the trip, but we don't want to go for one day and feel like we missed half the attractions, or that we rushed and stressed out over covering too much ground.

What age are your kids? The majority of the rides skew pretty young (<10). I'd say a day is fine unless you're also doing the water park.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

MichaelFlatley posted:

What age are your kids? The majority of the rides skew pretty young (<10). I'd say a day is fine unless you're also doing the water park.

They are 5 and 7. I think they would really like the water park. We are probably going for two days, because our youngest may not have the legs for an opening to closing day anyhow.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Hermsgervørden posted:

Legoland California is really not very big, and the lines, at least when I was there, were not very long. I went by myself about 5 years ago, and was disappointed it was a lot more kid-oriented than even Disneyland. It's more expensive than you'd think, too--some of the attractions inside the park cost extra (like driving the RC boats). Download the map, and you can see all the extra fee 'specialty attractions'.
It's hard for me to say if a day is enough. I felt like it was more than enough, but I had no kids in tow, so I could skip a lot (although I probably spent more time in Miniland than most kids would want to). I'd guess 2 days is plenty for non-teenage kids, who would probably be interested in (and sized appropriately) for most of the attractions there.

Also remember that the park is not part of the Lego company, so their stores don't take the VIP Card. Their PAB wall charges by weight, too, not by cup.

edit-

quote:

They are 5 and 7. I think they would really like the water park. We are probably going for two days, because our youngest may not have the legs for an opening to closing day anyhow.

That's a pretty solid age for the park, and they're small enough that neither could probably handle a full day of running around a mid-sized theme park. 2 days should be good.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 9, 2017

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Hermsgervørden posted:

We went last summer with our kids - then 4.5 and almost 3, and I'm definitely glad we took two days for it. We spent the first day at the main park and the second at the water park. As is, there was a bunch of stuff in the park that we missed seeing and we didn't get a chance to really participate in the various Lego building activities. Had our kids been older and more interested in that, it would have meant even more stuff falling off the agenda. So, yeah, if possible, I'd recommend two days.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Mephiston posted:

I need some advice on mech building. I'm playing with a mech set I bought years ago and just left in a box assembled, and wanted to see what I could do about upgrading it a bit.

Here's where it stands right now:

But you may notice the feet looking pretty.. well, crap, and that's where I could use some ideas.

Here are some more shots of the feet.

As it is right now, the mech stands on its own, but those ankle joints are under a bit of weight, and they can click out of position with a light bump.

I know it's kinda ugly too, but I'll work on that after everything is built. So, any ideas?

Maybe. I've been very sporadically working on a Jaegar (because Pacific Rim is the single greatest artistic accomplishment of the human race) for the last year and a half - meet Robbie McJaegarface:

Ooh la la. Drift compatible, baby.

I'd started out using the same brick rotation joints as you are all throughout the frame...

...but eventually ran into stability issues with the knee, hip, and ankle joints, as the weight of the body steadily increased.

The knees were an easy swap for beam joints since they didn't require more than one dimension of rotation, but the ankles and hips were trickier. Eventually, the only practical solution involved engineering some supporting mechanisms that I'm inordinately proud of.

The hips:

The ankles:

Full rear view:

McJagerface is still a work in progress, and I'll likely go back at some point to reinforce the ankles and the crotch anchor points for the hip supports, because they can slip out of said crotch if, eg, I put him into a particularly wide stance - but so far it's worked out pretty well!

Gauntlet weapons deployed:

"You have twenty seconds to comply."

edit: Oh yeah, in case anyone was curious - there is indeed a pilot (just one, sorry):

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Do Legoland one day and the other do Disney or a San Diego animal jail viewing area.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Hermsgervørden posted:

We went for 1 day, I I think that was enough. If we had added a second day, it would have been nice,, but I think we managed to see all the best attractions in one day. The only thing that would have been nice is to spend more time in the water park area, but I think a couple of hours there would have been fine. For our big trip to California, the kids highlights were

1) San Diego Safari
2) Disneyland (2 days at that)
3) Legoland (1 day)
4) San Diego Zoo (two days here as well)
5) Seaworld

looking back at it, that was one expensive trip, but really worth it for the kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Fozzie Bear posted:

looking back at it, that was one expensive trip, but really worth it for the kids.

I am getting dreadcited for this part of my kids lives. On one hand i am really looking forward to going to Lego lands, theme parks, zoos and such with them, on the other hand i know it's going to cost so much money :)

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 10, 2017