Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If I made a space 4x, I'd just throw my hands up and say "gently caress it, the currency is gold pieces"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ainsley McTree posted:

If I made a space 4x, I'd just throw my hands up and say "gently caress it, the currency is gold pieces denarii"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
IMO they should just make "currency" another customizable boondoggle on the species creation menu in like, this genre in general. Like, they can all spend the same, but it would be semi-interesting to be able to look at the treasury of your galaxy-spanning federation of species and see like what % of your holdings are "Betelgeusian Sheckles" vs. "VISA Spacebux They're Everywhere You Want to Be"

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Ainsley McTree posted:

If I made a space 4x, I'd just throw my hands up and say "gently caress it, the currency is gold pieces"

Master of Florion

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Master of Florion

Sins of a Thaler Empire

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Europa Universal...wait

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
this is why endless throws up its hands and says "gently caress it, the currency is literal magic"

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Ainsley McTree posted:

Space currency should obviously be slaves, because sentient life is rare and costly to produce more of.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Change Frontier Clinic to Trailer Park and allow more than 1 per planet.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Credits are a common currency in sci-fi. Or space bucks, anti matter coins, hug pillows and so on.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Poil posted:

Credits are a common currency in sci-fi. Or space bucks, anti matter coins, hug pillows and so on.

In the dark future of Stellaris, all currency has been replaced with Blorg body pillows.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Decrepus posted:

Change Frontier Clinic to Trailer Park and allow more than 1 per planet.

But those would reduce habitability?

yes I know it's reproductive rate now not habitability

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Wiz & co need to go through the effort of designing new economies for each empire that will then need to intertwine with some greater interstellar economy that creates the same impenetrable mess of rules and logic that govern our current global currency markets.

Make sure Stellaris has an economy and trade system more confusing than Victoria 2.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Can't wait to buy 10 tons of space tea to convert space miners into space clerks

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I won't be satisfied until it's impossible to play the game without an IRL degree in Space Law.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Conskill posted:

In the dark future of Stellaris, all currency has been replaced with Blorg body pillows.

Implying you would ever part with one.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Crazycryodude posted:

I won't be satisfied until it's impossible to play the game without an IRL degree in Space Law.

It's my experience that that's approximately the end state of any Paradox game. They're like the most polished and accessible iteration of impenetrable grognard games.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Conskill posted:

At least it's better than Blorg mucus.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pyromancer posted:

Space currency should obviously be slaves, because sentient life is rare and costly to produce more of.
* Galactic Stock Exchange merged with Clone Vats

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Wait what's the nerf to warp this patch? I missed it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Wait what's the nerf to warp this patch? I missed it.

1.6 increases warp wind-down time, that period where you're stuck at the edge of the system after a warp and definitely about to get dropped on at zero range by a swarm of wormholer/hyperspace corvettes

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Not sure if its a good idea though, the warp down time already makes warping slow as fuuuuck.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
there's also very little UI feedback to alert you that the ships are stuck in warp cooldown, or how long they'll be stuck there. what feedback there is often doesn't show up depending on the context, too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But it's already impossible to fight another fleet unless they think they can take you or you luck into landing on top of them?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

But it's already impossible to fight another fleet unless they think they can take you or you luck into landing on top of them?

You don't need luck with wormholes; you can just wait until their fleet is in a good position relative to the generator system and then send your fleet in. This would also work with warp if they weren't prepping players before getting rid of it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm trying to finish up a game before tomorrow's patch drops and I've come across a bug I don't remember seeing before:

For whatever reason all these ships were left following each other but wouldn't form one fleet. It's a thing I've seen in HoI 3 & 4 when AI controlled countries make fleets consisting of a single destroyer or cruiser but not Stellaris. Not sure what made the AI do this either since no other AIs seemed to be having this problem.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

How do the rest of you make it through almost an entire page after that post and not make the obvious 'gold pressed latinum' joke?

Some shameful poo poo, yo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Patch tomorrow? Rad

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

jfood posted:

How do the rest of you make it through almost an entire page after that post and not make the obvious 'gold pressed latinum' joke?

Some shameful poo poo, yo.

Psh, that is so last decade. Real gamers know EVE Online has given us a better credits name, ISK. ISKies for your covvies and dessies.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

nessin posted:

ISKies for your covvies and dessies.

im triggered :argh:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Energy Credits feel like a sufficient stand-in for whatever more complex monetary exchange you want to imagine, with the net effect that it translates to some fraction of a civilization's "power" output. Whether they're exchanging commercial goods that in some abstract way represents the industrial output of a mechanized society or literal Transformers Energon Cubes is left as an exercise to the reader.

Also, I'm finding I want more diplomatic options than I've got. This stuff's probably been discussed to death over the last year but in the game I'm playing now I really wanted the chance to intervene in a war a large Empire launched against a smaller one, but the smaller one and my Federation weren't on good enough terms for them to join. We launched our own separate war in order to liberate former worlds of the smaller empire from the larger one but we didn't have a way to return ownership so they just became their own microstate - it's sort of ironic that we could launch a war of liberation but the only way to return the worlds to their rightful owner would be a war of conquest then ceding them. Federations need more diplomatic tools in general, especially inter-federation interaction.

Also kind of wish Democratic Crusaders weren't such sticklers about the kingdoms in my Federation. C'mon guys, it's cool, they're Irenic.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Dolash posted:

Also kind of wish Democratic Crusaders weren't such sticklers about the kingdoms in my Federation. C'mon guys, it's cool, they're Irenic.

There really should be something like Constitutional Monarchy.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Patch is out! New free portraits DLC (including making Creatures of the Void free, which I think was a pre-order bonus or something?) available as well to celebrate the first anniversary.

And oh my god I just noticed the outliner sorts civilian ships by type now so it doesn't go science construction science science science :swoon:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My empire has filled out the harmony tree and put the entire population on social welfare and yet everyone who isn't also imperial is whining about how evil and oppressive I am.

Aethernet posted:

You don't need luck with wormholes; you can just wait until their fleet is in a good position relative to the generator system and then send your fleet in. This would also work with warp if they weren't prepping players before getting rid of it.
Aren't wormholes tremendously slow to get going? Once your fleet gets bigger it takes ages to open up the hole before they actually set off.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I am not even home yet to look at the patch, but this new portrait looks amazing and I am sure I will be using it.

I am thinking Psi Peacocks. Psicocks?

This one seems pretty good too. Some sort of fancy space grub. His head dealie kind of reminds me of a kabuto. I am thinking militarist for him.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 9, 2017

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Oh boy new animation sets! Can't wait to crack em open!

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Also, finally, Space Dragons

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
That peacock is definitely tailor-made for psionic builds, yeah. I'm glad none of my campaigns are very far in, though, gosh. New patch like 4 days after I started playing the game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Poil posted:

Aren't wormholes tremendously slow to get going? Once your fleet gets bigger it takes ages to open up the hole before they actually set off.

The wind up scales with fleet size yes, but it's still way faster than warp, and much longer ranged than either of the other FTL options, making it trivial to catch anyone you can get reliable sensor contact on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Space dragons are probably my least favorite of the new three portraits. It looks unfinished compared to the other two. Maybe I am just awed by peacock fanciness though.

Been waiting to start a new game myself. Avoided playing Stellaris all weekend because of it.

• Locked thread