Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Duck Rodgers posted:

Please tell me this counts as the expansion draft pick from the Jets.

Congrats to the SinBin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

a false posted:

the rangers for sure. probably montreal and toronto too

Blackhawks games here will be insane since the Vegas tourism industry and it's supporting industries (equipment manufacturing, hospitality services, etc) seems to be staffed with 60% ex-Chicagoans.

I realize it's a transient population, but the number of people I've met in a decade from Chicago and how it is disproportional to any other region (Californians included) absolutely astounds me.

Scaramouche posted:

Sorry SinBin guy! Maybe next time

I think he's aiming for an SBNation buyout. However their job opening for someone to cover the team was still open a week ago even after the deadline was supposedly up, so I guess they aren't biting.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

Blackhawks games here will be insane since the Vegas tourism industry and it's supporting industries (equipment manufacturing, hospitality services, etc) seems to be staffed with 60% ex-Chicagoans.

I realize it's a transient population, but the number of people I've met in a decade from Chicago and how it is disproportional to any other region (Californians included) absolutely astounds me.

Everyone from Chicago I've ever met here told me it's because they hated the snow and never wanted to see it again. Always made sense to me. But yeah, there are a lot of them.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

:siren: Vegas has their second player :siren:

https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/860315630452350976

e: https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/860316152752254976

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Sounds like it could work out. It's not like they're throwing huge wads of money at him.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Probably help them get to the salary floor too.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
is lawless the guy who kept dog whistling about kane and buff?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/860321853205655552

I know I'm cheering for Guy to succeed.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Wasn't he supposed to be like the big international FA this summer? Kind of funny that Vegas just swooped in and undercut all of that.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Vegas has the luxury of offering money, term, and ice time that other teams probably can't or won't. I don't remember the circumstances of Radulov signing in Montreal, but he only got a one year deal while being a more proven commodity (albeit with some baggage). I can't imagine many other teams lining up to give a 30 year old career international player two years at 4.5.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Shipachyov's probably gonna be the first line centre and gets to live in Vegas. I've heard of worse fates.

Also with this signing, they only need to draft players with an average caphit of $1.5m to reach the required cap hit. It's becoming more and more doubtful the Knights are gonna be taking poo poo like Dustin Brown off of teams' hands.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah it's a good signing. I would have been happy had the Devils did the same thing, these kinds of guys are absolutely worth a one or two year gamble for teams with cap space.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

is lawless the guy who kept dog whistling about kane and buff?

Lawless is a garbage reporter, but I don't think he's a racist.

Most of those poo poo articles came from the Winnipeg Sun, which if you know anything about Canadian media should make immediate sense to you

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Wow, that seems great for LV.

On the downside, Bettman is probably really happy about Shipachyov going to Vegas instead of Montreal.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

capfriendly and the nhl's expansion draft primer make it seem like the salary requirements in the draft and the actual salary cap are separate: they still have to hit the 43.8 million with their expansion draft picks.

so if you are building a floor team then they have 5.7 million left to spend on non expansion draft picks

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Mike_V posted:

Wasn't he supposed to be like the big international FA this summer? Kind of funny that Vegas just swooped in and undercut all of that.

Yeah, a lot of Montreal writers have been talking up the Habs chance of getting him, but that was never really gonna happen.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Icing a team of KHL players + good prospects actually doesn't seem like that bad of an idea. Get Radulov to sign with you, see if you can get New Jersey to do the Kovalchuk sign and trade or whatever. Maybe take a chance on some other KHLers that never really got a chance their first try at the NHL (Khoklachev with Boston comes to mind).

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 5, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Bruins still have his rights.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Icing a team of KHL players + good prospects actually doesn't seem like that bad of an idea. Get Radulov to sign with you, see if you can get New Jersey to do the Kovalchuk sign and trade or whatever. Maybe take a chance on some other KHLers that never really got a chance their first try at the NHL (Khoklachev with Boston comes to mind).

more KHLers to come

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/05/report-vegas-interested-in-dadonov-shipachyovs-khl-teammate/

getting guys who already play well together is a good idea and it will help give them the illusion of having multiple decent lines by being able to use them as a pair and settle your draft players elsewhere. if they actually do target Kovy or Radulov, they look fun as hell already

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bring back the enigmatic Alexander Semin!

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

They should get plotnikov

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

They should get plotnikov

It sucks that he never had a goal in the nhl. The coyotes announcers were hyping him up like he came across the berlin wall to enjoy the fruits of democracy and capitalism, and he left with 3 points in 45 games.

Rob klinkhammer though...

edit: lmao https://twitter.com/Bobbyklink/status/854148880690069504

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Yaya posted:

It's becoming more and more doubtful the Knights are gonna be taking poo poo like Dustin Brown off of teams' hands.

I don't think that was ever likely to happen, the expansion protections are much smaller than in the past, no need to take garbage just to fill the roster. They might do like Arizona and take on dead cap space for in exchange for picks but Brown has a lot of actual dollars due to him too.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
man I wish the Devils were doing poo poo like this, they have plenty of TOI to hand out

Aye Doc posted:

more KHLers to come

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/05/report-vegas-interested-in-dadonov-shipachyovs-khl-teammate/

getting guys who already play well together is a good idea and it will help give them the illusion of having multiple decent lines by being able to use them as a pair and settle your draft players elsewhere. if they actually do target Kovy or Radulov, they look fun as hell already

Assuming that report was true, Kovalchuk is going to New York or Florida.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

T-Bone posted:

man I wish the Devils were doing poo poo like this, they have plenty of TOI to hand out

Assuming that report was true, Kovalchuk is going to New York or Florida.

people were shouting that guy on twitter down as a bad source within minutes of the NY/FLA rumor coming up

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Chad Kreamer

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Updated the thread to reflect the upcoming expansion draft. Also watch this space for a contest we're gonna run.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If it's a contest to correctly guess how many points they get in their first season, my pick is 60.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
it seems like there's a better talent pool available now than in previous expansion scenarios so while i don't expect them to make the playoffs i'd guess like, 80

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This'll easily be the best expansion team in history

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I don't expect them to be within a point of the playoffs like the Panthers were.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
The approach of signing KHLers already makes them a more threatening expansion team compared to previous years, even without including the friendlier expansion draft rules

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

JollyPubJerk posted:

This'll easily be the best expansion team in history

Thank you friend.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
The Blues made it to the SCF in their expansion year :v:

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
I wonder how many teams will be given worse odds for winning the Stanley cup next year by betting companies, than the kettleheads of Vegas.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

all-Rush mixtape posted:

If it's a contest to correctly guess how many points they get in their first season, my pick is 60.

https://twitter.com/SchuckersM/status/860960833211432960

The general consensus from that was they'd finish somewhere between 80-90 points.

If you want to see teams that Darren Pang, Scott Cullen, and others picked, they're up on capfriendly (based on a protection list done at the conference). Scott Simmonds did one too but looks like he didn't post it publicly.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Aside from goaltending, that Scott Cullen lineup action looks pretty fun. Though I'm not convinced all those guys go unprotected.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Thufir posted:

Aside from goaltending, that Scott Cullen lineup action looks pretty fun. Though I'm not convinced all those guys go unprotected.

Yeah, the general thought was that there were some pretty obvious consensus picks, which is basically a red flag that the team needs to trade either that player or the player they protected in his stead. Examples: Dumba, Manson, Byron (this one surprised me a bit tbh)... a bunch of others I forget. Manson and Dumba were pretty unanimous though.

Also Vancouver is just dregs. There's nothing there. I picked Meygna in my list because goddamn that team is a wasteland of talent.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I fully expect them to gently caress it up but EA sent out a survey a few weeks ago that promised an expansion mode for NHL 18. They specifically mention the ability to play as the Knights or to add a 32nd team and go through the whole expansion process, although you can't see from the screen shots if you can do a draft for Vegas itself. I was hoping they would add a mode like this, even if the gameplay hasn't changed much/still has a ton of flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
That mode will be meaningless when you can't realign/change the playoff format

• Locked thread