Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Jose Oquendo posted:

The stickied thread reminding everyone not to commit suicide.

Literally one of the funniest/most retarded things I've ever seen on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

in africa they call her sister hillary

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/05/08/low_black_turnout_may_have_cost_clinton_the_election.html

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Vastarien posted:

Literally one of the funniest/most retarded things I've ever seen on the internet.

That amid people talking about their 8 year-olds and how "gonna drink til my liver explodes". Seriously, they were doing the thing a bunch of Republican crybabies did when Obama won twice, except theirs was usually "my dad/mom/grandfather is crying" and in D&D and a lot of twitters it was 8 year-olds. Somebody pointed out it was consistently age 8 getting the spotlight and suddenly there was a switch-up.

HOW AM I GOING TO EXPLAIN TO MY CHILDREN THAT HITLER IS BACK FROM THE DEAD AND ALL THEIR FRIENDS ARE GETTING DEPORTED?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

I don't think Trump and Pence are some kind of best friends or anything. And I don't think that Pence is going to have that much influence considering that 40% of republicans are in favor of gay marriage ( and 30% of the democrats are still against it).

it's not like there was some kind of secret cabal forcing trump to pick pence as his running mate. if you pick someone for the vice presidency presumably that means you agree with their positions, it's not unreasonable to think a president will be bad for gays when his running mate is a guy who's famous for advocating electroshock therapy

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stexils posted:

it's not like there was some kind of secret cabal forcing trump to pick pence as his running mate.

the secret cabal is call the Republican Party :ssh:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Stexils posted:

it's not like there was some kind of secret cabal forcing trump to pick pence as his running mate. if you pick someone for the vice presidency presumably that means you agree with their positions, it's not unreasonable to think a president will be bad for gays when his running mate is a guy who's famous for advocating electroshock therapy

Pence got there the same way people made their way through the apprentice: he sucked the best dick

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

spacetoaster posted:

I'm gonna need some evidence of this (not being a douche, I honestly want to know). I've heard it said a lot, but I haven't found anything that puts him up above the noise level.
Well, here's a fairly standard-issue laundry listing of his positions: http://time.com/4406337/mike-pence-gay-rights-lgbt-religious-freedom/ or http://www.ontheissues.org/IN/Mike_Pence.htm#Civil_Rights

Honestly, my gut on saying he goes a step more involves the post-Bush reelection, and his chairmanship of the Republican Study Commission. The RSC was basically the tea party before the tea party, and after the Republicans figured they won 2004 based on Bush's "moral values", they pushed a lot of evangelical right material - including the gay marriage amendment , pro-life angles, keeping Terri Schiavo in a state of prolonged animation, etc. And Pence was among the biggest faces in the party hawking this stuff at the time, usually quite straightforward with his language and leaning into the role.

I think this implicit appeal to evangelicals (+ the fact Pence was a warm body willing to do it) was the biggest calculation in him winding up in the VP slot.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Rutibex posted:

the secret cabal is call the Republican Party :ssh:

if trump cared enough to stand up for gay people he would have pushed back :shrug:

the argument that pence doesn't matter is that trump is a person so void of thought he didn't care who his running mate was at all, which might be true but if so means that he's not going to take a principled stand for gay people if he doesn't care enough to choose a veep who doesn't hate their guts

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Its fine to place trump on the homophobic idiot scale, but in a thread about Hillary it kinda feels like misdirection and it's worth pointing out she had openly homophobic policies until just a couple of years ago and was even booed for her stance of not thinking the gays were fully human vack in 2008. Plenty of ex staffer gossip suggesting she is a legit homophobe who pays lip service to the cause because nobody would loving vote for her if she made her true feelings known. which slots nicely into her given strategy to her investors of being a two faced demon as a matter of policy.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Stexils posted:

if trump cared enough to stand up for gay people he would have pushed back :shrug:

the argument that pence doesn't matter is that trump is a person so void of thought he didn't care who his running mate was at all, which might be true but if so means that he's not going to take a principled stand for gay people if he doesn't care enough to choose a veep who doesn't hate their guts

I don't think anyone has said he's going to take a "principled stand for gay people". It's just that people who are saying Trump is going to ok literal execution squads for gay people are stupid.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

oh absolutely, hillary demonstrably is just going along with whichever way the wind is blowing given that she flipped the moment gay marriage was at 51 percent

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Conventional wisdom has it that you pick a running mate to balance the ticket. This would point to Trump being relatively progressive (for a conservative) towards gays since Pence brings with him the evangelical vote. I think what we can expect from this administration is no change. They won't assault gay rights but they won't fight for them either.

Abortion rights on the other hand are pretty much always in jeopardy because the issue is truly grassroots. If you believe that abortion is literally murder it makes perfect sense within that worldview that you should fight it tooth and nail.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Hot take: I think Donald Trump is pretty much indifferent to things like gays or minorities and is way more interested in things like:

*making money
*being popular
*boosting his ego

I kinda get the sense that things like race, sexual orientation and any desire to even learn the names of what country he has people bombing are not even on his radar.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

basic hitler posted:

Its fine to place trump on the homophobic idiot scale, but in a thread about Hillary it kinda feels like misdirection and it's worth pointing out she had openly homophobic policies until just a couple of years ago and was even booed for her stance of not thinking the gays were fully human vack in 2008. Plenty of ex staffer gossip suggesting she is a legit homophobe who pays lip service to the cause because nobody would loving vote for her if she made her true feelings known. which slots nicely into her given strategy to her investors of being a two faced demon as a matter of policy.

Also really hosed up if those stories of her raping and mutilating a young woman are true (hey she wrote a book about it and underwent an exam that proved her injuries. It could be bullshit but who the gently caress really knows)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

Hot take: I think Donald Trump is pretty much indifferent to things like gays or minorities and is way more interested in things like:

*making money
*being popular
*boosting his ego

I kinda get the sense that things like race, sexual orientation and any desire to even learn the names of what country he has people bombing are not even on his radar.

Tbh you are right

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's trump in a nutshell. He's not raciat for example, he's classist.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

galactic brain: no politician actually gives a poo poo about gay marriage they just use it to rile up their base then proceed doing nothing so they can use it again next election

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Amarcarts posted:

Abortion rights on the other hand are pretty much always in jeopardy because the issue is truly grassroots. If you believe that abortion is literally murder it makes perfect sense within that worldview that you should fight it tooth and nail.

Yeah, it's more of a moral call on when something has rights.

The biology part is solid. Taking a human life is still taking a human life to some people.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

revmoo posted:

Also really hosed up if those stories of her raping and mutilating a young woman are true (hey she wrote a book about it and underwent an exam that proved her injuries. It could be bullshit but who the gently caress really knows)

Wait, what?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maya Fey posted:

galactic brain: no politician actually gives a poo poo about gay marriage they just use it to rile up their base then proceed doing nothing so they can use it again next election

Pretty sure gay marriage is a non issue at this point on a national level. Sure you got back water retard states still fighting but for presidential elections its basically over.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

hillary clinton did the zodiac murders and framed ted cruz

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

https://www.amazon.com/Trance-Formation-America-Cathy-OBrien/dp/0966016548

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It's interesting that the more I believe someone was an MKULTRA subject, the more I just assume that they've become crazy.

Nice one, CIA.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlqKFlU7YAs

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

fruit on the bottom posted:

It's interesting that the more I believe someone was an MKULTRA subject, the more I just assume that they've become crazy.

Nice one, CIA.

Didn't the CIA propogate the phrase "conspiracy theory" to discredit their opponents? lol

Any more, I just look at what the media tries hardest to discredit and assume it's legit. I mean just look at all the leaked emails between DNC insiders and media producers.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snatch Duster posted:

Pretty sure gay marriage is a non issue at this point on a national level. Sure you got back water retard states still fighting but for presidential elections its basically over.

yeah, about that: governor bill haslam of tennessee just signed HB 1111/SB 1085.

"undefined words shall be given their natural and ordinary meaning"

of course, they're saying that it's not an attack on gay marriage, but a supporter of the bill is outright hoping it will force judges to define marriage as man + woman

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i'm going to give bill haslam of tenessee a major loving swirlie

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

basic hitler posted:

i'm going to give bill haslam of tenessee a major loving swirlie

get in line. the only problem is dude is rich/from a family rich enough that he straight-up won't give a poo poo.

(the haslams own the pilot/flying-j chain of gas stations)

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you know, the ones whose headquarters got raided by the feds for pulling some scrub-tier rebate scam.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There's a flying J in Anna i'm going to drive over and give the manager a swirlie until s/he gets bill to come over and then i'm gonna give him a dirty trucker toilet swirlie

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe we can reinvent the toilet and market it as a hip and novel way to wash hair and convince billionaires to give themselves swirlies.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

maybe we can reinvent the toilet and market it as a hip and novel way to wash hair and convince billionaires to give themselves swirlies.

i'll make the website

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean, gently caress, they're already marketing ponds as "organic pools" now.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

thats what i call your mom's vag every night after i have sex with her

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

As opposed to synthetic pools that pull you inside and cyborg you?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snatch Duster posted:

thats what i call your mom's vag every night after i have sex with her

gadzooks! and i wholly walked right into that, as well.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

phasmid posted:

As opposed to synthetic pools that pull you inside and cyborg you?

https://twitter.com/ZJShearer/status/860673456588951552

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Cool. I'm gonna start selling rain/runoff water as Organic H2O.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

How many years till an organic toilet is a thing for yuppies? You poop in a hole in the ground on your backyard to promote plant growth and not poison fish with your antidepressants! And you save money on toilet flushes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Management
Jul 3, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

How many years till an organic toilet is a thing for yuppies? You poop in a hole in the ground on your backyard to promote plant growth and not poison fish with your antidepressants! And you save money on toilet flushes!

Only if I can wipe my rear end with a live squirrel to save the poor trees that are destroyed in the creation of toilet paper. Squirrels are all natural and wash with water.

• Locked thread