Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So here's a weird question; does anyone know what the word "estus" is derived from? I've been using flasks for 3 games and it only just now occurred to me that I have no idea what estus is supposed to be. I'd be surprised if the word is completely made up and not taken from something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

So here's a weird question; does anyone know what the word "estus" is derived from? I've been using flasks for 3 games and it only just now occurred to me that I have no idea what estus is supposed to be. I'd be surprised if the word is completely made up and not taken from something.

The latin word "Aestus" translates to "heat".

For a less pretty theory, some people speculate that it also refers to the Estrous cycle.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

The latin word "Aestus" translates to "heat".

That makes perfect sense, though it makes me wonder if they are called the same thing in the Japanese text.

quote:

For a less pretty theory, some people speculate that it also refers to the Estrous cycle.

That's just :lol:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dark Souls fans will be Dark Souls fans

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Dark Souls fans will be Dark Souls fans

I agree it's probably in reference to the Latin term, but consuming bodily fluids for healing in a Miyazaki game? That's not terribly out there :P

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Estus was a thing in kings field too, like instead of bonfires you had estus fountains and poo poo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm reminded of people saying that divine blessings are supposed to be Gwynevere's breast milk :regd09:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 8, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm reminded of people saying that divine blessings are supposed to Gwynevere's breast milk :regd09:

🙅🏻‍♂️🙅🏻
No thank you

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I assumed since the first game that the flask was capturing the warmth of the flame. Since improving the flame improves your flask.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm reminded of people saying that divine blessings are supposed to be Gwynevere's breast milk :regd09:

That's absurd, divine blessings are golden, therefore they are obviously Gwynevere's bottled piss.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Octo1 posted:

That's absurd, divine blessings are golden, therefore they are obviously Gwynevere's bottled piss.
Would divine piss taste like the sweetest apple juice?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Theres art of the herald "filling" the flask because of course there is

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Internet Kraken posted:

That makes perfect sense, though it makes me wonder if they are called the same thing in the Japanese text.

It isn't "estus" (nor is it "esutasu" or anything that could be orthography-waffled into "estus"), it's "esuto". This would be more accurately rendered as "esto" or even "est", but it's not obviously a mistake like Tseldora/Jeldora (and it would be a really glaring and difficult mistake to make) so my guess is that the translators were for once told to translate something a specific way.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Often the same people who will claim tooth and nail that the queen of Lothric is Gwynevere.

Which makes me wonder.... what do they think the Hidden Blessings are? :ohdear:

skasion posted:

It isn't "estus" (nor is it "esutasu" or anything that could be orthography-waffled into "estus"), it's "esuto". This would be more accurately rendered as "esto" or even "est"

Bear, seek, seek, est.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Even though it's a mistake, I think Tseldora sounds cooler than Geldra/Jeldora.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Even though it's a mistake, I think Tseldora sounds cooler than Geldra/Jeldora.

There's definitely a couple conscious sounds-cool changes in DS2 as well, like Vanclad and Dunashandra. Tseldora might conceivably be that as well, though it sure looks like a simple misreading.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Your Computer posted:

Often the same people who will claim tooth and nail that the queen of Lothric is Gwynevere.

There's actually evidence to support that theory given how the divine blessings are said to be blessed by Gwynevere and the unnamed queen of Lothric. Both Gwynevere and the queen are referred to as idols of fertility and bounty.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

There's actually evidence to support that theory given how the divine blessings are said to be blessed by Gwynevere and the unnamed queen of Lothric. Both Gwynevere and the queen are referred to as idols of fertility and bounty.

The gods of Lordran are also referred to in the game as "the old royalty" which rather implies that the royalty of Lothric (who incidentally claim the title of "Holy King") have some kind of direct relation to them. I'm not sure I entirely buy into the Gwynevere = Queen Lothric = Rosaria thing but I don't think it's as ridiculous a stretch as magic golden breast milk.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

The game hasn't been scared to use Gwynevere's name elsewhere though, and to assume that she's the queen of Lothric would be to ignore everything else they've said about her. That's not to mention how hard DS3 tries to hammer in the fact that the Gods are dead and how long ago DS1 was. There's nothing inherently Gwynevere-y about Divine Blessings either. They're simply stated to be holy water blessed by her in DS1. In DS3, they're said to be blessed by someone else and there's not really any reason to assume that they can't be.

To me, it's like the "Rosaria is Gwynevere" thing. The lore community simply can't allow something to be its own thing; it has to be connected to (or literally) someone/thing from DS1. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There's nothing that says Gwynevere can't be the queen of Lothric that I can remember. It could also just be that the queen is a direct descendant of her in the same way Rosaria obviously is. Either way, I wouldn't call it a case of people making up something based on basically nothing.

Your Computer posted:

To me, it's like the "Rosaria is Gwynevere" thing. The lore community simply can't allow something to be its own thing; it has to be connected to (or literally) someone/thing from DS1. :v:

Almost everything in DS3 is connected to DS1 though so this is more on From's head.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
rosaria is gwynevere, aldrich is smough and nameless king is the first born. fight me :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
iirc Gwynevere is referred to in the past tense in item descriptions etc, which imo implies she is either dead or long gone.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

iirc Gwynevere is referred to in the past tense in item descriptions etc, which imo implies she is either dead or long gone.
Like I said, they make a big deal out of the Gods being dead and gone.

Heck, we've never even seen Gwynevere. She hosed off and left Lordran behind before even DS1 started. She settled down, married a flame god and had a bunch of kids. The End. The fans have obsessed hard over her since the first game despite her having never actually been part of any of the games, and Fromsoft is clearly poking fun at this with the Projected Heal description :allears:

Iretep posted:

nameless king is the first born. fight me :colbert:

lmao guess you didnt get the notice that solaire is the first born :smugbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish we got to beat up Flann for the crime of stealing the best waifu away from us.

edit: Although sources in future games indicate Gwynevere was pretty vain so maybe she's not actually like the illusion-Gwynevere was in DS1.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I assumed since the first game that the flask was capturing the warmth of the flame. Since improving the flame improves your flask.

I thought the description said that in so many words, yeah. I figured it was from "est" (is / to be) but aestus makes more sense. Or they just kind of ballparked it in the vicinity of those to make a fantasy word.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
Doesn't the game outright say that some souls are reborn and seek to influence the world again? Character X isn't Y, but Y reborn.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
New boss released in the upcoming patch notes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SpAClrX1i0

:3:

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 9, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Iretep posted:

rosaria is gwynevere, aldrich is smough and nameless king is the first born. fight me :colbert:

smough died fighting aldrich's invasion so i guess in a sense he's part of aldrich now. does anyone doubt the nameless king is the first born? the game almost explicitly says so.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

smough died fighting aldrich's invasion so i guess in a sense he's part of aldrich now. does anyone doubt the nameless king is the first born? the game almost explicitly says so.

all the game says is smough was the last guardian to guard anal rodeo. doesent say he stayed there forever.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grotesque armor associated with Smough, the last knight to stand in defense of the ruined cathedral

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Smough = Aldrich is a perfect example of what I was talking about with everything having to be DS1 related/literally from DS1.

We know that Smough ate people.

We know that Aldrich ate people.

Pure and conclusive evidencebased on this single fact and despite nothing else matching and direct inconsistencies :eng101:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

technically he just seasoned his meals with bone dust.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Which of the ten Ornsteins we encounter throughout the series is the real one? The corpse in Archdragon Peak?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's likely but you can never know due to time being all hosed up.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Smough = Aldrich is a perfect example of what I was talking about with everything having to be DS1 related/literally from DS1.

We know that Smough ate people.

We know that Aldrich ate people.

Pure and conclusive evidencebased on this single fact and despite nothing else matching and direct inconsistencies :eng101:

we also know alridches home is anor londor from Anris lines. who lived in anor londor and was titled man eater? purely a coincidence surely.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Iretep posted:

we also know alridches home is anor londor from Anris lines. who lived in anor londor and was titled man eater? purely a coincidence surely.

Ah yes, Smough.. a right and proper cleric. Only, he developed a habit of devouring men.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

Iretep posted:

Mildred? Have you considered that mildred might have lived in Anor Londo and only had a vacation home in the blight swamp, and used the entrance to the depths as her personal kitchen with rafter chef cooking all her meals?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I'm doing the ivory king fight for the first time. I'm hoping to get the armor from the loyce souls. Is there any trick to getting enough?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i think the legit way to get loyce souls is to farm the chaos loyce armors in item find gear while being summoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Iretep posted:

i think the legit way to get loyce souls is to farm the chaos loyce armors in item find gear while being summoned.

I think that's the intended route, yeah. Barring that, just put on a bunch of item find gear, kill all the Charred Loyce Knights with your un-Charred buddies, and then use the Feather to return to the bonfire after the Ivory King proper appears.