Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Victorkm posted:

Guess I should come out from under my rock with all the litrpg I read on Kindle Unlimited.

If I know this thread, even though I have recommended these before, I'd recommend against them overall. Theres like 6 or 7 total books and before you reach a satisfactory conclusion it gets REALLY sexist and rapey.

So probably not really worth getting deep into if you find that sort of writing distasteful.

This is one of my favorite LitRPG series. Its very true that some fans get really anal about the stat blocks and quest rewards not being consistent over the whole 5 books so far (?!?!?) though I don't really give a poo poo. If there's anything I could recommend about this series its to read the author's novel "The Beginning: Dark Paladin vol 1" as it does a better job showing the way the author thinks and sees the world than nearly anything in the first 4.95 books of Way of the Shaman. Otherwise the reveal at the end of book 5 is very jarring.

As for other recommends in LitRPG, I'd recommend Awaken Online: Catharsis and Awaken Online: Precipice by Travis Bagwell, and Continue Online (5 book series) by Stephan Morse which is complete. Both of these series have a lot to do with the implications of Artificial Intelligences and the self-improvement of the featured characters.

Viridian Gate Online (2 books so far) by J.A. Hunter which is about a humanity-ending cataclysm that is somewhat allayed by a company which has invented an MMORPG which humans can possibly transfer their consciousness into to live beyond the asteroid impact. Unfortunately, not everyone is starting off on an even footing as the company has taken bribes to set up some users as god kings able to enslave the rest of the users.

Crucible Shard by Skyler Grant which I guess has 4 books. I've only read the first 2. The world it is set in is a hunger games like world where gamers are celebrities. The main character has been shanghaied into a scheme by his brother and his brother's friends to invade a game world and become rich and famous, but end up in a sort of UR-game that exists behind and below the rest of the games. The main character has impulse control issues and ends up solving most problems by having sex with horrifyingly powerful or just horrifying women (the goddess of fire and lust, a queen of spiders and venom, etc.) They are pretty fun romps and involve a lot to do with AI.

World of Ruul by J. A. Cipriano which are about a guy who has his brain placed into a jar by a shadowy government conspiracy to be immersed in a game and try to take down a sentient virus that is threatening the entire world. Not sure about the recommend here as its full of "jokes" that aren't as funny as the author seems to think, but still kinda fun.

This "genre" sounds abysmal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I just read a litRPG fight scene that was a series of statistical information

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Hobnob posted:

TV tropes has authors? What?

I mean the last time I really looked at that place it must have been early on when it was interesting to have a name for things everyone knew about but couldn't easily refer to (e.g. "bottle episode"). Then a few years after that it seemed to be all anime all the time and I lost any interest. But now it has people writing original fiction? Seems like a severe case of scope creep, if a website can have scope creep.

Some of those terms like "bottle episode" have been around in the TV or film industry for a long time and just might not be common knowledge to viewers--and that's fine if they were just trying to be informative. But then much like you said, the anime took over, and the creeplords didn't like people suggesting that their moe waifus might be really sexist and shameful and so they aimed to ban all 'discussion', you're just allowed to check off the boxes of the 'tropes' and pretend you are smart for recognizing how cliche-riddled most anime is.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Victorkm posted:

Guess I should come out from under my rock with all the litrpg I read on Kindle Unlimited.

If I know this thread, even though I have recommended these before, I'd recommend against them overall. Theres like 6 or 7 total books and before you reach a satisfactory conclusion it gets REALLY sexist and rapey.

So probably not really worth getting deep into if you find that sort of writing distasteful.

This is one of my favorite LitRPG series. Its very true that some fans get really anal about the stat blocks and quest rewards not being consistent over the whole 5 books so far (?!?!?) though I don't really give a poo poo. If there's anything I could recommend about this series its to read the author's novel "The Beginning: Dark Paladin vol 1" as it does a better job showing the way the author thinks and sees the world than nearly anything in the first 4.95 books of Way of the Shaman. Otherwise the reveal at the end of book 5 is very jarring.

As for other recommends in LitRPG, I'd recommend Awaken Online: Catharsis and Awaken Online: Precipice by Travis Bagwell, and Continue Online (5 book series) by Stephan Morse which is complete. Both of these series have a lot to do with the implications of Artificial Intelligences and the self-improvement of the featured characters.

Viridian Gate Online (2 books so far) by J.A. Hunter which is about a humanity-ending cataclysm that is somewhat allayed by a company which has invented an MMORPG which humans can possibly transfer their consciousness into to live beyond the asteroid impact. Unfortunately, not everyone is starting off on an even footing as the company has taken bribes to set up some users as god kings able to enslave the rest of the users.

Crucible Shard by Skyler Grant which I guess has 4 books. I've only read the first 2. The world it is set in is a hunger games like world where gamers are celebrities. The main character has been shanghaied into a scheme by his brother and his brother's friends to invade a game world and become rich and famous, but end up in a sort of UR-game that exists behind and below the rest of the games. The main character has impulse control issues and ends up solving most problems by having sex with horrifyingly powerful or just horrifying women (the goddess of fire and lust, a queen of spiders and venom, etc.) They are pretty fun romps and involve a lot to do with AI.

World of Ruul by J. A. Cipriano which are about a guy who has his brain placed into a jar by a shadowy government conspiracy to be immersed in a game and try to take down a sentient virus that is threatening the entire world. Not sure about the recommend here as its full of "jokes" that aren't as funny as the author seems to think, but still kinda fun.

What's wrong with your brain?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

occamsnailfile posted:

Some of those terms like "bottle episode" have been around in the TV or film industry for a long time and just might not be common knowledge to viewers--and that's fine if they were just trying to be informative. But then much like you said, the anime took over, and the creeplords didn't like people suggesting that their moe waifus might be really sexist and shameful and so they aimed to ban all 'discussion', you're just allowed to check off the boxes of the 'tropes' and pretend you are smart for recognizing how cliche-riddled most anime is.

It's now moved beyond that point, to where tropes aren't even useful for discussing the works that contain them anymore.

Take "Not Using the 'Z' Word" - loads of zombie shows and movies make a point about not using the word "zombie". There's an interesting discussion to be had there about the assumptions of the genre, and whether it's better or worse to try and avoid coming off as cliched.

The trope page, has gently caress all to do with that. And the examples are so incoherent it dilutes any understanding of what the trope *is*:

-All mechs in Elysium are called droids, not robots.
-The protagonists in Primer never refer to their time machine as a time machine, nor do they use the words time travel to describe their time travel.
- Not discussed, but the entire series of The Matrix has humans refer to the Machines, probably for similar reasons
- The Gelth from "The Unquiet Dead" aren't called ghosts in that story, which is fair enough since they aren't actually ghosts, just gas creatures
- Cylons in Battlestar Galactica are called any number of names, from "Toaster" to "Skin Job", but never robots, except in "Pegasus", in which some of Pegasus's crew members call a Cylon just that. In the miniseries, Baltar says disparagingly to Number Six "You're a Cylon. A robot."

Yes, somebody felt the need to point out that things that are not ghosts are not called ghosts. And that cylons are only sometimes called robots. What point are they even trying to make? It's one thing if it were just a bunch of compulsive categorisations of tropes in media, but their categories don't even make any bloody sense.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Rough Lobster posted:

This "genre" sounds abysmal.

ShutteredIn posted:

What's wrong with your brain?

I am not gonna be a dick to a guy for liking a genre, but I will admit I find the entire genre incomprehensible aesthetically and materially

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I on the other hand am going to be a dick, and say that anyone who enjoys LitRPGs is a worse person for doing so.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hobnob posted:

TV tropes has authors? What?

I mean the last time I really looked at that place it must have been early on when it was interesting to have a name for things everyone knew about but couldn't easily refer to (e.g. "bottle episode"). Then a few years after that it seemed to be all anime all the time and I lost any interest. But now it has people writing original fiction? Seems like a severe case of scope creep, if a website can have scope creep.

It has a forum including a section for writers, much like our own Creative Convention. The general quality of output is what you would expect.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Meh the whole reason I am doing the tasting tour is because I spent most of my life seeing all genre fiction as trash not worthy of reading. I have realized I was isolating my experiences for the sake of pretention and decided to branch out and experiment a littke.

It would be hypocritical of me to decide to open up to sci fi and fantasy and then find a new genre to trash.

That being said, I am not gonna read any of the loving things.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Meh the whole reason I am doing the tasting tour is because I spent most of my life seeing all genre fiction as trash not worthy of reading. I have realized I was isolating my experiences for the sake of pretention and decided to branch out and experiment a littke.

It would be hypocritical of me to decide to open up to sci fi and fantasy and then find a new genre to trash.

Have you done other similar "tasting tours?" I know you mentioned comics earlier, but are there others? Mysteries? Westerns? Supernatural Romance?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

Have you done other similar "tasting tours?" I know you mentioned comics earlier, but are there others? Mysteries? Westerns? Supernatural Romance?

Two years ago was comics, last year was anime, this year sci fi/fantasy, might do mystery/suspense next

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

I fail to see the difference between litRPG and making a journal of your RPG adventure.
It basically sounds like I would run an entire adventure by myself as both the GM and the PCs and then write it down.

In actual news, City of Miracles start out pretty good. Bennett is really good at pulling you into a story, while he is not that good at keeping it going.
Also, Fools Fate is out for those that like Hobb.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
so I'm curious, does litRPG also contain novels or series where the protagonist suddenly is transported into a magical fantasy world, or specifically one which goes by RPG game rules?

I recall reading some series a while back about a dude who was like a US soldier in the vietnam war who gets killed and suddenly wakes up as an elf in a fantasy world.. It was pretty dumb, and I think that at at least one point, he is running around as an elf with a machine gun.

What do you even call that genre, like Thomas Convenant, Magic Kingdom for Sale: Sold, etc?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That was what ended up killing my being able to enjoy R A Salvatore. It started to feel more and more as though he was getting most of his ideas straight out of an AD&D item compendium and then pulling a Stephen King by having his character do something ridiculous which gleefully ignores the game rules with them, like putting bracers of speed on their ankles, or putting oil of impact into collapsing crossbow bolts.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 8, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

coyo7e posted:

so I'm curious, does litRPG also contain novels or series where the protagonist suddenly is transported into a magical fantasy world, or specifically one which goes by RPG game rules?

I recall reading some series a while back about a dude who was like a US soldier in the vietnam war who gets killed and suddenly wakes up as an elf in a fantasy world.. It was pretty dumb, and I think that at at least one point, he is running around as an elf with a machine gun.

What do you even call that genre, like Thomas Convenant, Magic Kingdom for Sale: Sold, etc?

I think the difference between that and litRPG is that litRPG has the protagonist not only sent to a new world, but also explicitly exists in a reality of codified action

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Can we group write a litrpg? Maybe we'll even get it published!

"The princess cast me a smouldering look from across the room. I knew I've have a chance to bone her but only if I got my Charisma score past 13 to meet her check. I downed my brandy and set off to find an attribute boosting piece of headwear..."

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Victorkm posted:

If there's anything I could recommend about this series its to read the author's novel "The Beginning: Dark Paladin vol 1" as it does a better job showing the way the author thinks and sees the world than nearly anything in the first 4.95 books of Way of the Shaman. Otherwise the reveal at the end of book 5 is very jarring.
Could you please elaborate on this?

You can put it in spoilers if you like.

I'm not being sarcastic.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

coyo7e posted:

Portal fantasy. The genre in modern times probably starts with A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, but it encompasses Narnia, Fionavar Tapestry, probably John Carter of Mars, etc etc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

In this one instance, I'll allow it

We have to have standards somewhere

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

Can we group write a litrpg? Maybe we'll even get it published!

"The princess cast me a smouldering look from across the room. I knew I've have a chance to bone her but only if I got my Charisma score past 13 to meet her check. I downed my brandy and set off to find an attribute boosting piece of headwear..."

As I said before, I want to do one where a guy wishes he could live in an RPG and gets his wish

But its FATAL

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As I said before, I want to do one where a guy wishes he could live in an RPG and gets his wish

But its FATAL

Wouldn't that necessitate his limbs, face, dick and anal aperture rapidly warping to impossible proportions as soon as he materialised?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

or, alternatively, a litRPG that is 1000 pages long but follows a mundane life of a village peasant as every aspect of his existence is determined by algebraic equations of dice rolls

He drank a glass of water. He rolled an 18 for dexterity for gripping the glass against a base 12 modifier due to shape of the glass with a +2 modifier due to condensation outside the glass. He gained 2 xp. He swallowed the water, failed a saving roll with a 6 to prevent choking. Chokes on water, successful constitution check prevents further choking. 3xp. He levels up, and spends his skill points in beet farming.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Old Man and the Sea rewritten into GURPS

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Nakar posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that "everything is a series" is a matter of market forces and publisher preference and perhaps a reaction by aspiring writers to match those requirements. The ability to generate a trilogy or longer series is of value to publishers, since if they're going to do a three book contract it's probably demonstrable through their marketing research that people are more likely to pick up book 2 of a series they already read book 1 of than a new, completely distinct and separate work by the same author even if they enjoyed that author's work. I wouldn't be completely shocked if a lot of genre fiction gets pitched as its own thing and somebody asks the author if they can tweak it to allow for the possibility of sequels or to adjust the narrative to create a series or something. I think there may also be something to the way a lot of Internet writing sites (fanfiction places, etc.) often tolerate interminable stories where one chapter follows another in a narrative that never really ends until the creator gets bored; it'd be easy to imagine aspiring writers internalizing this.

If nothing else, it seems to be a problem that "normal" literature doesn't have as often, and arguably the problem is worse in some genres (thrillers, crime novels, mysteries, etc.) than in SF/F. They're not making books into series because they think the story works better, they're doing it to either chop something up into more marketable chunks or stretch something they think will be profitable out for a while.

A more interesting question, I suppose, is what books in the genre should've stood alone without sequels or a series.

I remember earlier discussions on this and market forces, and someone (General Battuta?) said genre fiction, like fantasy, doesnt sell as well as literary fiction, but those customers that buy and read fantasy buy a lot of it, so that's why everything must be an epic trilogy etc etc.

Also this quote was linked here when this subject was brought up before, on Iain Banks and his book sales:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/iain-m-banks-explains-he-wasnt-writing-science-fictio-509125322

quote:

An ex-neighbour of ours recalled (in an otherwise entirely kind and welcome comment) me telling him, years ago, that my SF novels effectively subsidised the mainstream works. I think he’s just misremembered, as this has never been the case. Until the last few years or so, when the SF novels started to achieve something approaching parity in sales, the mainstream always out-sold the SF – on average, if my memory isn’t letting me down, by a ratio of about three or four to one. I think a lot of people have assumed that the SF was the trashy but high-selling stuff I had to churn out in order to keep a roof over my head while I wrote the important, serious, non-genre literary novels. Never been the case, and I can’t imagine that I’d have lied about this sort of thing, least of all as some sort of joke. The SF novels have always mattered deeply to me – the Culture series in particular – and while it might not be what people want to hear (academics especially), the mainstream subsidised the SF, not the other way round. And… rant over.

The last fantasy novel I read was Jemesin's The Fifth Season, and while I enjoyed it overall the ending was disappointing and too much I felt was unresolved and haven't picked up the sequel because of that. Most of what I've read lately has been fairly stand-alone, even if they're part of a series, like one of the Craft sequence books, and one of the prequels to Lonesome Dove.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

PlushCow posted:

I remember earlier discussions on this and market forces, and someone (General Battuta?) said genre fiction, like fantasy, doesnt sell as well as literary fiction, but those customers that buy and read fantasy buy a lot of it, so that's why everything must be an epic trilogy etc etc.

Interesting, I had always assumed it was the opposite

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Mel Mudkiper posted:

or, alternatively, a litRPG that is 1000 pages long but follows a mundane life of a village peasant as every aspect of his existence is determined by algebraic equations of dice rolls

He drank a glass of water. He rolled an 18 for dexterity for gripping the glass against a base 12 modifier due to shape of the glass with a +2 modifier due to condensation outside the glass. He gained 2 xp. He swallowed the water, failed a saving roll with a 6 to prevent choking. Chokes on water, successful constitution check prevents further choking. 3xp. He levels up, and spends his skill points in beet farming.

Spoiler: he's murdered by his pet housecat, because the world runs on first-edition AD&D rules. Little fucker had a 1d4/1d4 claw attack. Peasant never stood a chance.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Old Man and the Sea rewritten into GURPS

Page after page of failed fishing checks.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Troper Tales

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

uberkeyzer posted:

Portal fantasy. The genre in modern times probably starts with A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, but it encompasses Narnia, Fionavar Tapestry, probably John Carter of Mars, etc etc.

Donaldson also wrote another portal fantasy that I actually like better than Covenant for a hojillion reasons, The Mirror Of Her Dreams and the sequel. As far as I can tell nobody has ever realized it exists.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Darth Walrus posted:

It has a forum including a section for writers, much like our own Creative Convention. The general quality of output is what you would expect.

Ah, thanks. That sounds like something I'd rather miss.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You forgot his roll vs cholera to avoid a 95% chance of squirty death from contaminated water.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

You forgot his roll vs cholera to avoid a 95% chance of squirty death from contaminated water.

Uh, no I didn't. Obviously his esophagus has to make a dexterity check post-swallowing to make sure the water reaches the stomach, and only then would it be necessary to roll Constitution for Cholera

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Interesting, I had always assumed it was the opposite
Just curious, why did you assume it was the opposite? It makes perfect sense and the most surprising thing is he actually is claiming that there's almost parity now.

SF has always been extremely niche with perhaps some vocal and annoying fat nerdy fans. Going to any bookstore in my city, SF/Fantasy section is just as small as Mystery section for instance meanwhile general fiction/lit fic always massive and spans easily 3x as much. Sometimes its lucky if theres more than a tiny section of a backwall with more than LOTR, GoT and zombie-vampire romance books.

I suppose one thing that is probably been helpful along with advent of Kindles/ereaders is the immense amount of tech workers and such here in the Bay taking company buses/train/or even sometime public transit to work and getting older looping back around to getting into reading sf/f again.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Xaris posted:

Just curious, why did you assume it was the opposite? It makes perfect sense and the most surprising thing is he actually is claiming that there's almost parity now.

SF has always been extremely niche with perhaps some vocal and annoying fat nerdy fans. Going to any bookstore in my city, SF/Fantasy section is just as small as Mystery section for instance meanwhile general fiction/lit fic always massive and spans easily 3x as much. Sometimes its lucky if theres more than a tiny section of a backwall with more than LOTR, GoT and zombie-vampire romance books.

Well, this subforum for one. Also in general I think I see media that tends to cater to white males, and sci fi fantasy has traditionally been a genre for white males.

Also the YA explosion has always fit into those genres as well.

Also, the general lit section is usually way broader than sci-fi fantasy. You will have Clive Cussler sitting beside Camus. I always saw the fact scifi and fantasy got it's own section as a sign of popularity.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well, this subforum for one. Also in general I think I see media that tends to cater to white males, and sci fi fantasy has traditionally been a genre for white males.

Also the YA explosion has always fit into those genres as well.

Also, the general lit section is usually way broader than sci-fi fantasy. You will have Clive Cussler sitting beside Camus. I always saw the fact scifi and fantasy got it's own section as a sign of popularity.

Nah its because Sci-Fi and Fantasy are ghetto as gently caress and get out of our overweight white man hood.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I like lit-RPG because I have garbage taste, and even I find stat sheets and character skills cringe.

Which book was it, most of the USA based ones are marginally better because they have wider influences than the Russia scene which basically flowed from Legendary Moonlight Sculptor (Korean...really bad) > Play to Live (Russian, meh to awful) > the rest of the Russian scene.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I think there's an Iain Banks comment that he met lit readers who assumed 'Iain Banks' was his favourite but M. Banks paid the bills, while the opposite was closer to the truth.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Peel posted:

I think there's an Iain Banks comment that he met lit readers who assumed 'Iain Banks' was his favourite but M. Banks paid the bills, while the opposite was closer to the truth.

you mean the one already posted on this page

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Xaris posted:

I would suspect that the biggest sci-fi book sellers are tie-ins to popular movies, i.e. Star Wars books and the like. Or maybe there's just loads of these published? IDK, I went to a local bookstore with a decent sf/f section and at least 10% of it was Star Wars books.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

coyo7e posted:

That would be the "Bifrost Guardian" books by Mickey Zucker Reichart. What kind of surprising is that they aren't actually all that bad despite the author's clear intention to make them bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Well to be entirely fair, I found my copy of Bifrost Guardians in a remaindered book bin, with the cover torn off, so I really expected it to be utter trash. It contained the whole trilogy in one book and I don't think I ever finished it.

uberkeyzer posted:

Thanks! I figured that was a real name for it. :D