Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

TotalLossBrain posted:

I am using that very thing to keep a greenhouse door closed. Otherwise my chickens raptor their way in there and lay waste to it all. It works well but I do wish it had more spring tension.

You can use the pin that comes with it and an allen wrench to put more preload on the spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

One of the more creepier things when we bought my current house (along with the 1,000 other items) was the bedroom doors had keyed locks on them.

Almost every door in my house has keyed locks. I have at least 8 doorknobs that I don't have keys to. Apparently the old lady that owned it got Alzheimers and they needed to keep her from roaming around. We just pretend they aren't there for now since we don't have kids.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Safety Dance posted:

You can use the pin that comes with it and an allen wrench to put more preload on the spring.

I think I set it to max when I installed. Today I found another good (supplemental) method to keep the door closed. I have a large fan on framed into each end of the greenhouse. Running both fans running on full exhaust sure build a nice dP! Door was noticeably harder to open.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 5, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Geoj posted:

FWIW most locking passage handle sets just have a lock release that can be triggered with a pin. I'd guess the homeowner bought the wrong sets for the application.

Now if they were keyed on both sides that would be weird...

Yeah, not talking about the the pin release bedroom/bathroom door type. Required keys, like you'd find on a door to your office. Combined with the fact there was a cheapy external camera attached to the house, a sun room where molding was destroyed by a pack of dogs, a basement that had it's own ventilation system and found an industrial set of fluorescent lights hidden away above the furnace ducts. I'd say it was intentional.

Bonus points is it was formally owned by a cop. Passed through about three owners before I got it on a short sale and I still get some of their mail.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Need to get a thicknesser / planer. Any recommendations? Needs to be cheap but not totally shite. Probably 10" wide ish

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

thegasman2000 posted:

Need to get a thicknesser / planer. Any recommendations? Needs to be cheap but not totally shite. Probably 10" wide ish

drat, you just missed... earlier this week, Amazon had this for $179... may want to watch this link to see if they get more stock: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0106XD60Q

https://camelcamelcamel.com/WEN-655...zer&utm_source=

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Forgot to add uk goon here. But yeah something like that would be awesome. £280 for one like that here.

StimpyBoy
Nov 27, 2002
I am the ones who are the balllickers.
Grimey Drawer

Crustashio posted:

Oh, canadian tire.

Bought a new 20v li-ion mastercraft cordless impact. Brought it home, opened it up and the battery had a faint electrical burning smell. Sometimes I'm not sure why I bother.

Not to defend Hoser Freight (that's so good) or do the whole post necromancy thing, but I recently bought the high torque brushless one and have had no problems yet. You mean this one?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-20v-max-li-ion-cordless-high-torque-impact-wrench-1-2-in-0544274p.html#srp

It replaced an older NiCd one I had for years where both batteries were completely dead. I did tire changes on both my cars and the battery still showed max charge. I love having new tools :D FWIW, in rallying it seems like the Milwaukee cordless impacts are the hot poo poo that everyone wants.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My no name 1/2" ratchet just poo poo the bed. I think I got it as part of a set of HF 1/2" sockets I picked up one time.

What's the go to brand for ratchets for people who use them like 4-5 times a year for tire rotations and oil changes?

Also, any recommendations for cheap padded "mechanics" gloves?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Uthor posted:

My no name 1/2" ratchet just poo poo the bed. I think I got it as part of a set of HF 1/2" sockets I picked up one time.

What's the go to brand for ratchets for people who use them like 4-5 times a year for tire rotations and oil changes?

Another HFT. Their "Pittsburgh Pro" line is surprisingly good for the price.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MRC48B posted:

Another HFT. Their "Pittsburgh Pro" line is surprisingly good for the price.

Yeah, the 72 tooth ratchets (or whatever the high-tooth-count is) are really, really nice. I got a composite handle 3/8 and it's a quality tool.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, that's what I figured. The Pro ratchets are more expensive than the entire set that I got my current ratchet out of, so I'm assuming they are marginally better, at least!

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Uthor posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured. The Pro ratchets are more expensive than the entire set that I got my current ratchet out of, so I'm assuming they are marginally better, at least!

If your just using it for tires every now and then get the pro breaker bar. But for other 1/2 shenanigans get the extendable one. As long as you dont put a monster pipe on the hollow handle they hold up well to my 190lb fat rear end jumping on it.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

clam ache posted:

If your just using it for tires every now and then get the pro breaker bar. But for other 1/2 shenanigans get the extendable one. As long as you dont put a monster pipe on the hollow handle they hold up well to my 190lb fat rear end jumping on it.

Yeah I got the extendable 1/2" on advice of this thread and it owns, use it all the time. It goes on sale for :10bux: occasionally

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

clam ache posted:

I have a breaker bar that works fine (don't know who put my rear wheels on last, but I had to use my HF jack handle as an extension to get them off). I just like using a ratchet once they are loosened.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I remembered my other question: I have a pair of prescription "safety" glasses from Zenni that were fine for how much I used them, but it was pointed out that they don't mention meeting any safety standards and I now have a job that lets me head out to a shop once or twice a week (not to do any machining or anything, just to observe at a distance).

When I talked about them here before, there were a couple other places mentioned where one could get cheapish prescription safety glasses. Any ideas? I don't wanna blow the bank on a pair that I'm going to use like an hour a week.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I bought wileyx frames with rx lenses from rx-safety.com, but it looks like there's a lot of options now like 4 years since I bought them.

The last set I actually bought from Wal-Mart eyewear, they honored my recent eye exam and had a good selection of rx Z87 frames at a very reasonable price. Unfortunately, your options decrease with your level of correction so with heavy astigmatism my options were limited. (I had laser eye surgery last year, no regrets)

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I picked up a set of yellow tinted safety glasses from rx-safety.com, they arrived pretty quickly and seem to work well. I got yellow with the intent to use them for sporting clays.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Seconding Walmart. The company I work for reimburses safety glasses and Walmart has been where I have sent people for the last 4 years. I haven't heard of any issues.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

rdb posted:

Seconding Walmart. The company I work for reimburses safety glasses and Walmart has been where I have sent people for the last 4 years. I haven't heard of any issues.

I need to ask HR if they do reimbursements...

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Uthor posted:

I remembered my other question: I have a pair of prescription "safety" glasses from Zenni that were fine for how much I used them, but it was pointed out that they don't mention meeting any safety standards and I now have a job that lets me head out to a shop once or twice a week (not to do any machining or anything, just to observe at a distance).

When I talked about them here before, there were a couple other places mentioned where one could get cheapish prescription safety glasses. Any ideas? I don't wanna blow the bank on a pair that I'm going to use like an hour a week.

I get mine from RXSafety.com

iirc there is also a goon in SA mart that does them.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Does anyone know if there's a model name dictionary for Makita 18V stuff? It appears that tools are named differently in Europe vs. The Americas...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Uthor posted:

I need to ask HR if they do reimbursements...

It's PPE, I'd hope that they would

(I find the trick is to phrase the written request in a way that implies that either they give you the money or that HR drone is actively denying you PPE)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bolind posted:

Does anyone know if there's a model name dictionary for Makita 18V stuff? It appears that tools are named differently in Europe vs. The Americas...

Go to their website, and change your location via VPN, or search on Euro eBay.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Uthor posted:

Also, any recommendations for cheap padded "mechanics" gloves?

I wouldn't use a ratchet for tyres or sump plugs. Use a infallible tool you can abuse on for that poo poo.
For wheels get a lug wrench. (google image search)
For sump plugs get a sliding t-bar 1/2" socket (google image search)
Both can be abused and you can chuck on some steel pipe for leverage if needed, never broken one. Get a nice ratchet and use it when needed, which is not for those purposes.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

What are you doing that a sump plug needs a cheater bar?

To sorta answer the asked question, I bought a set of HF stuff as spares, and was surprised by the quality of the ratchets. Far better than my 10 year old craftsman stuff. I dunno if that's the "go to" AI preference.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
No poo poo? I am using a 1-200 piece craftsman set I bought a few years ago when I lived in an apartment. Might look at HF for a long handle.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

angryrobots posted:

What are you doing that a sump plug needs a cheater bar?
Previous owner disease.

Well, previous owner's quick-lube guy, but still.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Fo3 posted:

I wouldn't use a ratchet for tyres or sump plugs. Use a infallible tool you can abuse on for that poo poo.
Both can be abused and you can chuck on some steel pipe for leverage if needed, never broken one. Get a nice ratchet and use it when needed, which is not for those purposes.
Alternative viewpoint: If you don't have an impact gun, use a ratchet for lugs, then a breaker bar to tighten them down.

(Unless you're willing to spend ~$150-200 on a Snap-On breaker bar ratchet, which it doesn't sound like he is.)

It's matter of preference, but I'd much rather use a ratchet to run down lugs than a four-way.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

always be closing posted:

No poo poo? I am using a 1-200 piece craftsman set I bought a few years ago when I lived in an apartment. Might look at HF for a long handle.

Check the sockets, see if they are USA made (depending how you define a few years because you might get lucky before they shifted manufacturing.) If so, good to go on those. Now on to Craftsman ratchets, I'm assuming you have the raised panel (abbreviated RP, due to the craftsman logo raised on the handle) and yeah, they are the choice of last resort.

So many other choices, but for the price, 72 tooth count HF ratchets work great. Love the composite 3/8" (just don't put a cheater on it.)

This stuff is a religion to folks. But there are many many deals to be had combined with thousand of threads across the internets.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

InitialDave posted:

Previous owner disease.

Well, previous owner's quick-lube guy, but still.

I always cringe on the first oil change on a new to me vehicle. Especially the oil filter. It's a crapshoot.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I have a fuckoff big pair of adjustable pliers that has yet to be beaten by an oil filter.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

angryrobots posted:

I have a fuckoff big pair of adjustable pliers that has yet to be beaten by an oil filter.
Hahahahahaha

Like the chain strap wrench I use, there's always something that'll let you get a good enough grip on an oil filter to remove at least half of it...

This actually makes it easier to get the remains off, as you can use a pin panner on the inlet holes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

I don't have them, but my dad does. A great big fuckoff pair of Channel Locks that have been unbeatable so far. He's used them a couple times and I've had to borrow them a couple times, always on first oil change for our ownership. After that, we don't tighten the balls off the filters in a gently caress-the-next-guy fashion (because we usually are the next guy). :D

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

angryrobots posted:

My usual tool of choice when space allows. Hammering in a screwdriver through it is my last resort to get leverage in tight situations and when I get desperate. But I don't have a large selection of oil filter wrenches/adapters because I don't run a lube place out of my house.

Will say one thing, make sure the o-ring is on the old filter and not stuck on the block. Otherwise you will need 50 pounds of kitty litter to clean up the mess when you start her up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Fo3 posted:

I use a breaker bar to loosen the lug bolts. I then like using a ratchet to get them the rest of the way off and on. I use a torque wrench to tighten to spec so they come off fairly easily next time. I also use a bit of anti-seize so the wheels don't stick to the hubs.

My old ratchet broke in that it wouldn't switch from tighty to loosey after taking off the bolts from one wheel. I was putting almost zero torque on the thing.

I actually use my 3/8 ratchet for oil changes, and I don't even crank on the end of the handle (I palm the head) because I don't tighten my poo poo like an ape.

It's a VW, so the filter sits in a housing that has a 36 mm hex molded into it and I have a big rear end socket that has basically infinite grip.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Seminal Flu posted:

I don't have them, but my dad does. A great big fuckoff pair of Channel Locks that have been unbeatable so far. He's used them a couple times and I've had to borrow them a couple times, always on first oil change for our ownership. After that, we don't tighten the balls off the filters in a gently caress-the-next-guy fashion (because we usually are the next guy). :D

Just change the oil on a cavalier with the OHV and you will see why channel locks dont always work. Or driving a screwdriver through it. Those ratchet attachements for filters are amazing. hF has a version that sucks. Craftsman makes one of the best and lisle has a similar offering.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

clam ache posted:

Just change the oil on a cavalier

Nope. And you can't make me.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Pretty sure on a Cavalier you're not supposed to change the oil and the rest of the car is knackered by the time the engine seizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

clam ache posted:

Just change the oil on a cavalier with the OHV

I assume this is in the GM museum.