Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Wow Scotland loves their Tories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/severincarrell/status/860445223993954307

A Tory councillor for the East End of Glasgow.

loving nora

Inverness Milburn returns 1 Labour, 1 SNP, 1 Tory, from 1 Labour, 1 SNP & 1 Liberal.

So far the story of the Highlands has been the Lib Dem bounceback being non-existent, and their votes benefiting Tories.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 5, 2017

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Assuming some random group on Facebook know what they're talking about Oban (North and South) has gone from 6 independents, an SNP and a Labour to 4 Independents, 2 SNP and 2 Conservative.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Labour have lost overall control of Glasgow. Full results not in yet.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Willie Young lost his seat. Might have something to do with the Marischal Square fiasco and this:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

We (Labour) have five in in Edinburgh now. Gained one from the SNP in Colinton, nice surprise, but I'd expect a SNP/CON coalition, maybe SNP/LAB or SNP/GRN.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

SNP have already ruled out any coalitions with the tories anywhere, so we'll see how that shakes out.

Glasgow are now onto five conservatives, by my count. No balustrade will be safe.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

From BBC Scotland: "Conservative councillors have been voted on to Highland Council for the first time in 22 years with three councillors so far being elected in wards in Inverness."

At least one of the two guys I've worked with has been re-elected as a councillor, so I can keep a quite decent reference for jobs & all that.

Greens seem to have picked up a few seats.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Edinburgh scorecard so far:

Tory: 15
Nat: 15
Green: 6
Lab: 9
Lib: 6

3 wards with 12 seats yet to declare.

I thought the Greens were doing much better than they are.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Aberdeen City Council:

Labour: 9

SNP: 19

Tory: 11

Lib Dems: 4

Independent: 2

Watch as Labour and Tories go into coalition to keep the SNP out and sell out the entire city to Muse.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Coohoolin posted:

Aberdeen City Council:

Labour: 9

SNP: 19

Tory: 11

Lib Dems: 4

Independent: 2

Watch as Labour and Tories go into coalition to keep the SNP out and sell out the entire city to Muse.

Who are the independents in Aberdeen?

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I'm trying to find results for my home ward up north at the moment (I saw via his daughter's facebook the person who was first at least but that's no surprise), but I had to stop to come and tell you that Eilean a 'Cheo have elected a councillor called Ronald MacDonald.

EDIT: As with anything else, nothing changes back home. I bet that's even the same tartan jacket our local independent has sported on political occasions for as long as I've been alive.

EDIT EDIT: Also my friend topped the poll in her ward, delighted! And Jezza came up and campaigned for her when she was first elected, so I'm hoping she does get him back as promised :D

Acaila fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 5, 2017

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Skinty McEdger posted:

Who are the independents in Aberdeen?

Marie Boulton and John Michael Reynolds.

I know Boulton is basically a Labour prop.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Also, how has nobody mentioned Tories getting elected in Ferguslie Park and loving RAVENSCRAIG?! That to me is the most insane result of the whole election right there.

EDIT: Holy sweet Jesus, I have a Tory councillor.......What the actual.... (and they came top of the votes.....loving hell)

Acaila fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 5, 2017

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

I'm very disappointed upon googling that this is post not about the band Muse. Admittedly I would not want them to own a city either.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Acaila posted:

Also, how has nobody mentioned Tories getting elected in Ferguslie Park and loving RAVENSCRAIG?! That to me is the most insane result of the whole election right there.

EDIT: Holy sweet Jesus, I have a Tory councillor.......What the actual.... (and they came top of the votes.....loving hell)

Wait,I heard about ferguslie and shettleston, but they got one in the craig?

gently caress me.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Fee Gee going tory is actually beyond my comprehension.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Feegee is insane, but how can people's memories be so short in Ravenscraig to ever give them the time of day? It's like Orgreave electing a Tory MP!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Final Glasgow results in, SNP+Green or SNP+Labour are the only possible combinations. SNP 39, Labour 31, Tories 8 and Greens 7.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Angepain posted:

Final Glasgow results in, SNP+Green or SNP+Labour are the only possible combinations. SNP 39, Labour 31, Tories 8 and Greens 7.

It'll be green, or snp minority with likely green support. Juat like westminster. mcAveety is still on top of Glasgow Labour (somehow) so unless he does a Nick Clegg, it'll be greens.

Best case would be hoping Matt Kerr crosses the floor. Or if he's staunchly anti indy, goes independent.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Is there anywhere with a good write up on what has been happening in Glasgow council over the last few years. When I stayed there I could never imagine it flipping from Labour.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Skinty McEdger posted:

Is there anywhere with a good write up on what has been happening in Glasgow council over the last few years. When I stayed there I could never imagine it flipping from Labour.

There's usually lots of stuff on a thousand flowers on the various ghouls inhabiting Glasgow council.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Taking some small amusement from a friend complaining about the Tory surge in Benbecula to a whopping 51 votes. Still last, behind 6 independents and the SNP, but she's incensed 51 fellow islanders are that thick.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Not surprised that the SNP & Labour lost a good amount of votes to Tories. Tartan Tories jump ship to the Conservatives while Labour Unionists would likely jump to the Tories as well creating a very good position for the Tories. Everyone else who isn't Tory is going to suffer loses except for the Greens who I think got a fair amount of votes from across the SNP & possibly Labour voters.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/AlanRoden/status/860587749430050817

ScotLab's Communications Director really struggling to put a positive spin on losing Glasgow City Council just seems a bit deluded.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

What's he even using for that first figure? SNP got 33% of first-preference votes, 25% of seats in the 2012 council election, 45% of the regional vote in the 2016 holyrood election...

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017
This was the front-page story in the Glasgow Herald today and my favourite take on the results up here:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15269198.Tory_surge___39_sinks_case__39__for_independence_poll/

(It's paywalled / limited access registration but you only need to see the headline and first paragraph really).

Having looked up the much-trumpeted Shettleston result (I'm still in denial about Ferguslie Park), I'm thinking that digging any meaningful conclusions out of the overall data might theoretically be possible for statisticians, but probably hadn't happened by Friday night and going to press.

There's mad amounts available though, including spreadsheets of individual ballots. From a badly-educated swatch at Shettleston I got that

(a) the Conservative candidate who was elected was the first choice of 1/10th of the electorate (18% of voters)

(b) a vast majority of Labour voters didn't vote for any other party, and of those who did, it went 60-40 to Tories and SNP respectively. So between these things I am a bit reassured that the world has not quite turned on its head.

It's also pretty funny that the Scottish Labour Party were the only party to go under an alternative name -- "Glasgow Labour" -- on the ballot, apparently not having realised that presenting as The Establishment doesn't go down very well these days.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

Juliet Whisky posted:

This was the front-page story in the Glasgow Herald today and my favourite take on the results up here:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15269198.Tory_surge___39_sinks_case__39__for_independence_poll/

(It's paywalled / limited access registration but you only need to see the headline and first paragraph really).

You can open it in an incognito window to get around the paywall. Does mean you have to endure ad-hell though.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Surprised no one talked about Patrick Harvie putting himself as an MP candidate.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Extreme0 posted:

Surprised no one talked about Patrick Harvie putting himself as an MP candidate.

Hadn't heard that. Call me a defeatist but it seems a mite pointless because he'd only win if the SNP forget to run someone against him.

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017

Extreme0 posted:

It could be the last chance for Scottish people to ever be Members of the House of Commons for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland! Anyone who has ever even idly daydreamed about it should be putting their deposit down.

(It's a canny enough move by the Greens, who've been doing a great job maintaining a profile in the context of every other one pragmatically voting SNP. Since the last election demonstrated the futility of sending anyone at all to Westminster from here, it's as well that they benefit along with the Tories when hardly anyone turns up to vote next month. Nice one that they will probably be part of a coalition for GCC; all the window posters on Alexandra Parade were for the Greens, with the exception of one which was a reinstated 'Remain' poster from last year. I hope they fix the bike routes, ideally with the slogan of "Glasgow's Miles Better".)

e: punctuation X2, double parentheses are for mathematics

Juliet Whisky fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 7, 2017

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

This stoking up nationalism thing is working out well

quote:

MEMBERS of the Orange Order have won council seats in the local elections by standing for the Labour and Tory parties, the Sunday Herald can reveal. The Orange Order has boasted that its elected councillors will work to derail a second independence referendum, the organisation’s Scottish leader said.

Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland Grand Master Jim McHarg said the organisation now wanted to stir the Unionist population against independence.

A “huge number” of Lodge supporters are Tories, McHarg said, as he praised Ruth Davidson for basing her council election campaign on opposition to a second referendum.

However, McHarg said most of the Protestant Order’s members are Labour supporters as he revealed the organisation’s attempt to extend its political influence. He said the majority of Orange Lodge members who had successfully been elected as councillors were Labour, but added that at least one Tory had also been voted in.

McHarg said at least six of members had been elected as councillors, with dozens more sympathisers also returned in the local elections.

The Grand Master said the Orange Order now had more elected politicians in Scotland among its membership than at any time in nearly 20 years. He said the organisation had members on councils in North and East Ayrshire, as well as in South and North Lanarkshire.

Members of the Orange Order could now sit on council committees that will make decisions on local education policy, including the funding of Catholic schools.

Labour and the Conservatives may end up running some local authorities after they became the largest party in nine areas, including South Ayrshire and North Lanarkshire.

The Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland’s website describes state sponsored Catholic education as “a thorn in the flesh”. It also criticises legislation which “fully legitimised religious apartheid in Scottish schools by enriching the Catholic Church by paying the full price for its school buildings”.

McHarg refused to reveal the identities of those winning seats, but claimed the victories were a growing sign of pro-Union strength.

He said: “We’re delighted that our members are taking part in community life and I’m personally very proud that they are working for the community in this way. It can do no harm to the Unionist people.”

McHarg said the lodge had yet to find out the exact numbers of its members who had been elected and in which areas they had won. However, he added that Glasgow and the east of Scotland were likely be other places where the lodge had new councillors.

McHarg said: “We are still collating the numbers of members elected, but we believe six members of the institution have been elected to councils and that various other friends have too.”

He added that there were “probably” dozens of other newly elected councillors who were sympathetic to the Lodge and that this was an increase on those in place after the 2012 local elections.

McHarg confirmed those standing had not explicitly stated in their election literature that they were Lodge members. However, he claimed they had not sought to hide their membership from the public.

He said: “They wouldn’t have hidden it from people. Everybody in the community would know who they are.”

McHarg said the Orange Order had intervened in politics to prevent a second independence

referendum being held. He added that the organisation had shunned politics for decades, but that the rise of the independence movement had led to Orangemen deciding to get involved again.

He said: “A lot of people were fed up with politics. We felt like a lot of people weren’t being listened to.”

McHarg added that the number of lodge members elected as councillors was now at its highest rate “certainly since 2000” just a year after the start of devolution.

McHarg said that he had voted for two Labour candidates and one Tory in the North Ayrshire council area, including one who attends the same church as him, adding that he had yet to decide which Unionist party to back in the General Election.

The Lodge leader also went out of his way to praise Ruth Davidson for her role in the campaign against independence, saying: “It’s probably helpful that the Tory Party has gone down that line. Ruth Davidson comes across well.”

Speaking about the political leanings of Lodge members, McHarg added: “Our members are very diverse. There are a huge number of Tories, but the majority are Labour.”

He said the lodge would now be suggesting that its members back

Unionist parties in the General Election on June 8. “We’ll never tell

people how to vote, but I’d guide people to support Unionist candidates,” he added.

McHarg also said the Lodge could stage another mass parade against independence like that held in Edinburgh days before the referendum on September 18 in 2014.

He said: “At the moment we’ve no desire to, but if we think there’s a need to stir the Unionist people we’d consider it.” McHarg said the Lodge may even consider encouraging Orangemen to seek election to Holyrood.

However, the Lodge’s intervention sparked concerns from SNP and Green members. Scottish Green leader Patrick Harvie said: “Most people will view the Orange Lodge as an unpleasant organisation with a sectarian past. Any party that knowingly selected members of it would have some very difficult questions to answer.”

Scottish Greens’ local government spokesperson Andy Wightman added: “Residents will be very disappointed with councillors who feel that issues that have nothing to do with local politics are deemed important in local elections.”

An SNP source said: “The Orange Order has made claims before and any claim now that it has significant influence is certainly overestimated.”

In response to McHarg, a Scottish Labour spokesperson said: “Every Labour councillor elected will fight for their local communities, not a

divisive second independence referendum the people of Scotland don’t want.”

The Tories declined to comment on McHarg’s claims that it had at least one councillor who is a Lodge member.

Meanwhile, the Electoral Commission, the independent body which oversees elections in the UK, confirmed it would have no locus over the Lodge’s activities in the event of any complaints being made.
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/15271615.Orange_Order_elected_to_councils_as_Labour_and_Tory_members/

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Wait, will you just clarify for me something?

Are you blaming the Scottish nationalists for the Orange Order? Because I guarantee you that this is not some stunning new development, there have been councillors who have been members of the Orange Order in Scotland plenty going back decades. It is of course of blight on the face of this country, but it's got gently caress all to do with the independence referendum "stoking up nationalism" for fucksake. This dangerous & unpleasant form of British nationalism is not the responsibility of the Scottish independence movement any more than the Irish's independence forces were responsible for them in Ireland. The Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland has been around since 1798 for fucksake, & even longer in Ulster. It's a vile organisation wrapped up in an extreme view in Britishness & Protestantism, trying to blame the SNP on them is just loving bizarre.

But I'm wanting to make sure I've not misunderstood you before jumping down your throat.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 8, 2017

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

forkboy84 posted:

Wait, will you just clarify for me something?

Are you blaming the Scottish nationalists for the Orange Order? Because I guarantee you that this is not some stunning new development, there have been councillors who have been members of the Orange Order in Scotland plenty going back decades. It is of course of blight on the face of this country, but it's got gently caress all to do with the independence referendum "stoking up nationalism" for fucksake.

I'm blaming the SNP for polarising Scottish politics around nationalism which has led to the Scottish Tory resurgence as Labour got squeezed out for not having a natural position on either side.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jre posted:

I'm blaming the SNP for polarising Scottish politics around nationalism which has led to the Scottish Tory resurgence as Labour got squeezed out for not having a natural position on either side.

But the Orange Order were making declarations of turning into a paramilitary organisation in Scotland after independence as early as 2001, well before the SNP polarised Scottish politics around nationalism.

The only people to blame for the Orange Order having councillors is Labour & the Conservatives for poorly vetting their candidates rather than making a stand about opportunistic bigots not being welcome in mainstream Scottish politics, or not thinking it's a big deal. But carry on blaming the SNP for literally anything, it doesn't make you sound at all unhinged.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Which bit is unhinged ?

Stating that the SNP have polarised Scottish political discourse around nationalism ?
Stating that Labour have been hosed because they don't have a natural Unionist or Nationalist position ?
Stating that the resurgence of the Tories has led to an increase in councillors with orange order sympathies ?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jre posted:

Which bit is unhinged ?

Stating that the SNP have polarised Scottish political discourse around nationalism ?
Stating that Labour have been hosed because they don't have a natural Unionist or Nationalist position ?
Stating that the resurgence of the Tories has led to an increase in councillors with orange order sympathies ?

Well, the bit saying that the strongly unionist Labour Party don't have a natural unionist position seems pretty unhinged from reality, yeah. Placing the blame for the Tory resurgence on the SNP rather than on Scottish Labour is also pretty unhinged to be honest with you. Or if not unhinged then certainly an infantile way of looking at politics. The people to blame for the growth of the Tory vote in Scotland are Tory voters mate. That's it.

Sure, you can point to the collapse of Labour (which started before the independence referendum, it'd have been loving impossible to have the referendum if the Nats didn't have a majority at Holyrood, where it was meant to be impossible to actually win a majority, precisely in order to stop them calling for that referendum), a polarisation around the Nationalists and any other thing you want, but at the end of the day, a lot of people voted Tory & a lot more didn't bother their arses voting against the Tories. That's the bottom line here.

I'm quite happy to have a reasonable discussion about the reasons that Scottish Labour collapsed from 56 MPs out of 72 in 1997 to 1 out of 59 in 2015, & from 56 MSPs in 1999 to 24 in 2016, but denying Labour's own role in that downfall isn't reasonable, it's unhinged.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Wait Orangemen standing as Tory councillors and voting Tory when they have historically stood as Labour councillors and voted Labour is somehow the fault of the SNP?

*casually wonders how many Orange marches the new Glasgow City Council administration will allow to go ahead this year*

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You should have voted for Fishman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

keep punching joe posted:

Wait Orangemen standing as Tory councillors and voting Tory when they have historically stood as Labour councillors and voted Labour is somehow the fault of the SNP?

Historically Labour was the only party not virulently anti-catholic in Scotland. The SNP has an wonderful history of opposition to the papes. Do I need to post that Billy Wolfe thing again ? Can you name all the orange order members who historically stood as labour councillors ?

forkboy84 posted:

unhinged, unhinged unhinged
Insinuating I have a mental illness because I have a point you dislike is a bit cunty and you should stop it