Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is raise dead affected by your recruitment buildings at all? i always thought it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

is raise dead affected by your recruitment buildings at all? i always thought it was
Nah. You can get some crazy high-end units pretty early on as vampires if you get some real solid battles.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dongattack posted:

As vampires, what are your options for dealing with the dwarves when they have united under one faction, evicted all the orkz and own the entirety of the badlands? Going down there and removing them seems near impossible since vampires do not have a stance to global recruit and they cannot replenish outside their own lands. Unless im missing something?

Your best bet is to load up some armies full of kickass lords, vampires with blue line anti attrition/improved healing, something with siege attacker and as many large monsters as you can afford to bring.

Terrorgheist will chew apart pretty much everything the dwarves throw against you.

You'll move slowly and have to retreat to the border prince area or some befriended orcs to heal, it won't be fast and it will be a painful slog, especially if they figured out how to recruit slayers.

Besides that, you'd probably be best off playing on large where the game doesn't break itself as much.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

And it sounds like it's too late for you, but for anyone else starting a VC campaign it is generally a good idea to help make sure the greenskins win the war in the south so you don't have to deal with that poo poo.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

And it sounds like it's too late for you, but for anyone else starting a VC campaign it is generally a good idea to help make sure the greenskins win the war in the south so you don't have to deal with that poo poo.

Ever since the dwarf/greenskin renown units were added, it's always been the dwarves decimating the greenskins in my games, usually if your lucky you can help their last settlements guarded by a couple attrition suffering armies by turn 30, after turn 50 they are usually nowhere to be seen.

Best bet to help the greenskins is to wipe out everything in the immediate mountains and hope that's enough to give them some space.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Safety Factor posted:

Nah. You can get some crazy high-end units pretty early on as vampires if you get some real solid battles.

I mobbed the poo poo out of a garrison+full stack of Empire with a bunch of T1 units, next turn I gobbled down an orc stack and 2 turns later I was able to summon a terrorgheist, a fuckton of ghost horses, and about 12 skele-mans. I felt like I had cheated.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
It's going a lot better now that i put the unit size down to large from extreme or whatever the max setting is called, getting a lot more/better corpses to work with! It still looks like the dwarves are steamrolling the orkz tho, might need to find a mod to buff them a bit, but oh well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Orcs have never really had issues with the Dwarves in my games oddly enough.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Dongattack posted:

It's going a lot better now that i put the unit size down to large from extreme or whatever the max setting is called, getting a lot more/better corpses to work with! It still looks like the dwarves are steamrolling the orkz tho, might need to find a mod to buff them a bit, but oh well.

This was from my ongoing von Carstein LP:

It works by region, and if you have multiple battles in a region that trigger a famous battle site they'll add up.

The LP is kind've like a tutorial so anyone having trouble with the vampires can read it and get some ideas:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814687

As for the dwarfs, one thing that helps is you can avoid taking attrition if you march in raiding or channeling stances. If you take Akendorf from the Border Princes you can strike out at the Dwarfs easier from there after you flush them out of the mountains to your east.

A good composition against them is a lot of grave guard with great weapons and monsters like varghulfs and terrorgheist. Wind of death is also pretty effective.

It's really difficult to completely wipe them out after they've already taken the badlands. Are you playing as the von Carsteins or Vampire Counts? The Vampire Counts have to kill the Dwarfs for their victory condition but the von Carsteins don't.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The only thing I really hate about the Crynsos Faction unlocker is the Empire start dumping an army with Zintlers Reiksguard on turn 1. That's not easy to get over no matter what.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That photo reminds me, can someone put in layman's terms what the gently caress the corpse cart and variants, the mortis engine, and the black coach actually do mechanically?

The various buff wagons from different factions did some awesome poo poo on tabletop but TW:W seems unconcerned about telling you what the gently caress they achieve that you'd take them over another thing that just kills people dead.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That photo reminds me, can someone put in layman's terms what the gently caress the corpse cart and variants, the mortis engine, and the black coach actually do mechanically?

Mortis Engine has a passive aura that heals your dudes and drains the enemy's HP. Corpse carts buff your dudes melee offense and defense in a small radius around them and can passively heal.

Black Coach is just a kind of lovely unit that unlocks buffs for itself the longer it stays in sustained combat. So after 45 seconds it gets a bit stronger, 90 seconds a lot stronger etc.

The only one that is worth it is the Mortis Engine for some of that increased sustain and drain. The Unit of Renown Claw of Nagash also has other debuffs in the aura, like a slowing effect.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 8, 2017

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The basic corpse cart gives a buff to melee stats for any units in the vicinity. The Unholy Lodestone version adds a heal on top of that. The Balefire one has an extra effect which is something slightly obscure with spellcasting, I forget what.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zore posted:

Black Coach is just a kind of lovely unit that unlocks buffs for itself the longer it stays in sustained combat. So after 45 seconds it gets a bit stronger, 90 seconds a lot stronger etc.

I dunno, wasn't there that one guy who used a couple of Coaches incredibly well in a multiplayer tournament a little while ago?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mordja posted:

I dunno, wasn't there that one guy who used a couple of Coaches incredibly well in a multiplayer tournament a little while ago?

Not from what I recall? They're a memey joke unit for most streamers.

Are you thinking of the dudes who went all Chariots and absolutely destroyed a dwarven army?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Nah, there was a tourney where there was this guy who would always bring a couple of chariots/coaches and was ridiculously good at microing them.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Whats the name of the mod that buffs magic to cope with ultra unit size?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I hope when they release all the factions the End Times gets tweaked to be suitably epic, with not just chaos and beastmen but also a massive waagh coming out of the badlands, Skaven popping up everywhere, chaos dwarves plundering the riches of the world's edge mountains, etc. Basically no matter what faction you are, there is a massive enemy presence at your front door.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I bought the rise of nagash trilogy for 10$

I'm betting there is something ok in this 900 page tome

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Black coaches are alright these days, if you can screen them and have them fight some trash units they will turn into a monster with 40% ward save.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Does anyone know if the banner of eternal flame benefits ranged units and artillery? They will receive the buff, but I have a feeling it only applies to their melee weapon and not, for example, their handguns. Thinking about running an industrial war machine on the wood elfs and I don't know if my Lord should hang out next to the melee or the handguns or the mortars.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

verbal enema posted:

I bought the rise of nagash trilogy for 10$

I'm betting there is something ok in this 900 page tome

I read the first one, I remember it being decent

I also have liked Tomb Kings since I was 9 so ymmv

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

jokes posted:

Does anyone know if the banner of eternal flame benefits ranged units and artillery? They will receive the buff, but I have a feeling it only applies to their melee weapon and not, for example, their handguns. Thinking about running an industrial war machine on the wood elfs and I don't know if my Lord should hang out next to the melee or the handguns or the mortars.

I'm assuming it only applies to melee.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

jokes posted:

IIRC the flame buff icon also appears next to the missile damage stat or the ammunition stat on the unit card, which we can assume means it works.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Flaming organ guns with multiple engineers sounds like fun against VC or welves...

f_c_
Oct 27, 2007

Does a lords red skill tree have any effect on garrison troops?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

f_c_ posted:

Does a lords red skill tree have any effect on garrison troops?

no

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Garrison melee troops are best used as front line meat shields to tire out the enemy while your good troops are held in reserve behind them, because the garrison troops are free and don't get any bonuses and replenish SUPA-fast.

Anyways I feel like Banner of Eternal Flame works on all units, but it's impossible to test without finding one in a campaign and putting it near a ranged unit against only certain enemies. Also, I found out flaming sword of rhuin (bright wizard spell) applies magical AND fire damage, which makes ghost-persons real easy to deal with; fire magic is fun!

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Technologies do though.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is it by design that Chaos (at least the small precum wave before the Archaeon) is non-hostile Vs Von Carsteins/Vampire Counts or is this a bug? If its a bug i will have to reluctantly declare war i suppose, but if it's intended they can smash against the walls of the loving dwarves :mrgw:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Ynglaur posted:

Flaming organ guns with multiple engineers sounds like fun against VC or welves...

:supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Dongattack posted:

Is it by design that Chaos (at least the small precum wave before the Archaeon) is non-hostile Vs Von Carsteins/Vampire Counts or is this a bug? If its a bug i will have to reluctantly declare war i suppose, but if it's intended they can smash against the walls of the loving dwarves :mrgw:

I noticed this too. I tried to take advantage of it by gingerly grabbing up all the ruined cities they left behind, but then Archie and friends showed up before I could really fortify my holdings and kicked all my sandcastles down.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Dongattack posted:

I'm pretty sure it's by design, however, once they are at war with you for any reason, any further diplomacy is impossible. Also I think Archaeon showing up may make them at war with you anyway.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Cool cool, i will attempt to prepare accordingly :smith:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Dongattack posted:

Cool cool, i will attempt to prepare accordingly :smith:

Walls everywhere is all you really need.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Stephen9001 posted:

Walls everywhere is all you really need.

I need money for that tho :negative:

I'm stumbling a bit cause vampires are so different from the other factions, plus all the multiple fronts you can have. But i'm enjoying it tbh, I've been breaking this game over the knee for a year, it's cool to have a bit of a challenge now that i finally enjoy vampires and their mechanics are starting to click for me.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Is there a reason that I'm missing why Dwarf Hammerers are bad? They seem, in theory to be solid units; decently armored, armor piercing, the Dwarf counterpart to Greatswords I suppose. But they don't seem to perform very well and they are a pain in the rear end to recruit.By the time you can recruit Hammerers, you can also recruit Ironbreakers which have shields, blasting charges, and very high melee defense. You also have Slayers (courtesy of Gejnor's Dwarf mod) giving you an anti-large melee option that is also fearless with charge defense vs large.

So Hammerers fall in this weird niche. Lately, with the previous Longbeard buffs, I just take a few Longbeards with great weapons which still get charge defense vs large but are cheaper and easier to get for that type of unit.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Longbeards also have a mild leadership aura.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think they're basically designed to beat black orcs and grimgor to death; that seems about it. i have no idea why they're so fragile despite the masses of armour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Hammerers are for killing opposing top-tier infantry. The problem is that a unit of handgunners and any other kind of infantry will do that just as well and you also get to use handgunners for other things.

• Locked thread