Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I just ran into Kim Coates in the lobby of my office. Got to shake his hand but I forgot to tell him I was excited for Ghost Wars:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, if I ever meet Kim Coates I'm going to tell him how much I loved him in the pilot of Total Recall 2070. I'm not joking, I love that show and he was great in it.

That's awesome, though.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

JethroMcB posted:

A friend had a Scion tC at the time, so you know every time I hopped in the passenger seat I had to let him know that while the bold, sleek styling was all, like, "ka-kow," the 2.4 liter dual overhead cam engine with 160 horsepower was all, like, "ka-KOW."

That's one of those instances where I knew it was product placement, and even worse, it was that self-aware nudge-nudge "hey, did you get that this is a paid sponsorship" product placement that even 30 Rock had a hard time pulling off - but it worked. I laughed and I still remember it.

Scion! tC!

Scion! tC!

The Xtacles were one of the best parts of the show.

(Platform plummets, dropping the whole cast. One Xtacle rockets back onto screen) "JET BOOTS RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULE!...what?"
(Another Xtacle Appears) "(Sigh) You don't have to say it every time..."

I also liked the rapper's cereal in the second season after he got hooked on NASCAR. "Rubbin's Raisin".

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I also liked the rapper's cereal in the second season after he got hooked on NASCAR. "Rubbin's Raisin".

When I personally got into NASCAR, I'd think about Taqu'il's quick descent into obsessive fandom a lot. I'd also say "Look - Junior's makin' a move!" at every possible opportunity. (Frisky Dingo: Ahead of the curve on really letting Killer Mike loose.)

Also, the two episodes of the Xtacles spinoff were good, even without Adam Reed's input. It gave us the concept of the Bon Jovi Friday!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Man, I can't decide if I want to watch sense8 or Handmaid's Tale.

On the one hand, I'm in the mood for less depressing, but on the other, it would be nice to have sense8 to watch after Handmaid's when I need to cheer up.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Frisky Dingo definitely infected my vocabulary with some sayings I still use seven years after I watched the drat thing.

Like "once again, the [location] has become my Waterloo"

Frisky Dingo was amazing and I think it's pretty awesome to consider that Killer Mike playing Ta'quil on the show is what started his relationship with Adult Swim and pretty much lead to Run the Jewels.

Adam Reed is responsible for Run the Jewels is what I'm saying.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sense8 is so good. If I was gonna rate shows simply on the feels it generates, it would be the best show.

It's not perfect, it has issues, but it's unapologetic about being the way it is, and I think thats great, because if it wasn't committed, if it was only half-assed, it would be really lame.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

It is one of television's biggest crimes that we only got two episode made of "The Xtacles".

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Handmaid's Tale looks kinda... cookiecutter. It's doing some decent things with color and framing, but it feels like high-brow TV mostly looks the same these days.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ok now that I have watched all of Hannibal it is, to paraphrase Patton Oswalt, gayer than 8 guys blowing 9 guys.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The last episode has the best "threesome" ever shown on network.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sense8 s2e5 fuckin lol at the the Anon guy, considering that this show is made by the Wachowskis, and Anon adopted the Guy Fawkes mask after V For Vendetta, also by the Wachowskis. like, yeah, the mask was used in the graphic novel, but Anon wouldn't have adopted it if it weren't for the movie.

Snak fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 7, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Doesn't sense8 have a thread?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is it a problem for me to make comments about it here?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

Is it a problem for me to make comments about it here?

It offends me on a personal level.

(No not really, it just struck me as weird to have any discussion that would require spoiler tags in here)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

ok now that I have watched all of Hannibal it is, to paraphrase Patton Oswalt, gayer than 8 guys blowing 9 guys.
Yeah but it's the best gay fuckfest you've ever seen.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Doesn't sense8 have a thread?

yeah i fucken made that thread twice

then i passed out halfthrough friday nights 2s watchthrough

i dn't know when i will finish. perhaps weeks away

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I'm getting in to Dear White People, it's pretty drat good. I'm not woke by any sense, but I'm enjoying it. Just a question, is Coco supposed to be a sympathetic character? I find myself agreeing with her whenever she argues with Samantha. I'm on episode 4.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just started season 2 of sense8 and wow, I love this stupid gay show.

That orgy scene was like Lana Wachowski saying "You're welcome, bisexuals"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Grem posted:

I'm getting in to Dear White People, it's pretty drat good. I'm not woke by any sense, but I'm enjoying it. Just a question, is Coco supposed to be a sympathetic character? I find myself agreeing with her whenever she argues with Samantha. I'm on episode 4.

With the exception of Pastiche and the principal's son pretty much everyone is sympathetic but flawed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Dear White People is definitely not "white people are dumb, black people are good, the show". It's far more complex than that. If anything, quite a few black writers were mad that the show made everyone flawed, which is... ironic.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Dear White People is really good and I like that everyone is flawed. I think the big take away is that race relations is both simple (don't loving host blackface parties, treat each other like human beings) and complex (intra-black relations, the expectations of black people having to be twice as good in order to make it, interracial relationships being rough if you're trying to be woke, etc.).

In my own personal experience, one of the biggest Black Power guys I know is my barber and his wife and mother of his children is white. It's always funny seeing someone new react to her walk in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean it's right there in episode 1 that you get the main character getting tons of poo poo for having a white boyfriend so you know right away it's not a show that holds black people in automatic higher regard; for me the thematic takeaway was the dichotomy between people who genuinely care about treating other human beings well, and people who corrupt good intentions for personal advancement, and that it can be really unsettling to realize that you're afraid of being shunned by people based on their affiliations and not who they are behind those affiliations.

It's ultimately a show that kicks back hard against the notion of tribalism, and that's especially relevant in a college setting where you are encouraged to engage in ridiculous levels of tribalism but have at your whim the ability to shed that completely in favor of just being yourself.

It's a show I like more the more I think about it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Grem posted:

Coco is, I feel, a character you're supposed to feel a lot of sympathy for, but feel frustrated with her choices, even as you understand them. Ultimately, neither Sam or Coco are correct, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
DWP was real good. Some of the actors were way better in the movie, though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

So 13 Reasons Why is getting a second season, I only watched the first episode, but I think I know enough to wonder how that's possible.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

IRQ posted:

So 13 Reasons Why is getting a second season, I only watched the first episode, but I think I know enough to wonder how that's possible.

The S1 finale left a couple of dangling plot threads just for that purpose.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

IRQ posted:

Are there any think pieces that list 13 reasons why we need a second season? Because I can't think of a single one :smith: .

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Popelmon posted:

Are there any think pieces that list 13 reasons why we need a second season? Because I can't think of a single one :smith: .

I like the characters and the questions it's exploring enough to think a Season Two could be great. I trust it to deal with the two major events it set up in the finale very well and I still want more closure for her parents so... yeah. Bring it on.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
So, Once Upon A Time had its musical episode yesterday and it was an instant classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxFig4rVSbk&t=112s

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I like the characters and the questions it's exploring enough to think a Season Two could be great. I trust it to deal with the two major events it set up in the finale very well and I still want more closure for her parents so... yeah. Bring it on.

Watching what happened to the parents was probably the most emotionally devastating part of the show, so I would endure another season with the less-interesting teen characters to see them recover a little. Dramatizing recovery would not be the most boring thing tv has ever done. The guidance counselor probably has an interesting journey in front of him too.

Doing another half-flashback season narrated by the spree shooter or that other kid would be boring as poo poo and a huge misstep.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Jack Gladney posted:

Watching what happened to the parents was probably the most emotionally devastating part of the show

Kate Walsh deserves an Emmy for it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No Tomorrow and Frequency were officially canceled by the CW. I didn't watch Frequency so I have no opinion on it but No Tomorrow was a lot of fun.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

No Tomorrow and Frequency were officially canceled by the CW. I didn't watch Frequency so I have no opinion on it but No Tomorrow was a lot of fun.

Whyyyyyyyy, No Tomorrow as such a fun show. :negative:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apparently Psych is coming back as a holiday movie or something, wow.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Those two and iZombie were the only shows I really liked on cw anymore since the eggs they put into their superhero basket are all rotten now. I still watch Supernatural too but at this point that's more due to inertia.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just need Dead Zone and Monk.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

raditts posted:

the eggs they put into their superhero basket are all rotten now.

I'm not sure what this means but it seems untrue.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

raditts posted:

Those two and iZombie were the only shows I really liked on cw anymore since the eggs they put into their superhero basket are all rotten now. I still watch Supernatural too but at this point that's more due to inertia.

Check out some Riverdale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Frequency worked well enough as a mini series. All the loose ends were tied up and there was just a tiny plot hook for s2 in the very last scene.

• Locked thread