Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

TheKingofSprings posted:

A basic literacy test should be mandatory before every round of magic played IMO

*holds up picture of breaching hippocamp*

Does. This. Have. Flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Lol if you don't just look at the picture on the card and make a wild guess as to what the card does.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I mean a Moa is a bird right?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Death Bot posted:

*holds up picture of breaching hippocamp*

Does. This. Have. Flying.

No, it's in the water. What a dumb question. Now Whippoorwill or Sovereigns of Lost Alara, on the other hand...

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

uPen posted:

What twitch channel was this on? I'd be interested in watching some live pauper.

Here is all 10 hours of it

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/140617882

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

morkrut banshee definitely has flying

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ShadeofBlue posted:

Bant Spirits is an awesome deck. It needs a few more 2 drops, though. I've actually been trying out some of the hateful spirits in the 2 drop slot, maindeck, like Kataki, and it hasn't been too bad. I like it better than running Phantasmal Image anyway. I saw a list where someone ran 2 of the original Thalia main, I want to try that also.

Hmmm. I actually run with 3x Phantasmal Image because I like the card so much. Kataki is a 2-of in the board along with 2x meddling Mage (my loving favourite sideboard card)

OG Thalia interacts poorly with CoCo

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheKingofSprings posted:

A basic literacy test should be mandatory before every round of magic played IMO

On Friday, I had to answer the question of if a planeswalker is a creature or not. I just said to read the type line again and if it doesn't say creature, then it's not a creature. There was also someone that raised a fuss about my Gideon having a +1/+1 counter on it after the end of my turn because it wasn't a creature anymore. I asked him if he was familiar with Raging Ravine and he wasn't, so I had to explain that counters do not go away if a creature becomes another card type, but auras and equipment will if they can't be attached to the new card type.

I also inferred to someone that asked me if bloodrush is a sorcery-speed ability because I asked him if creatures attack in the main phase.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

I would be making a poll tax joke but it is probably in poor taste

what I'm saying here is wizards is racist

also any americans complaining about not getting enough events come to wonderful APAC where you need to travel several oceans to play in major events

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
People targeting / attempting to kill creatures that were being sacrificed to cast an emerge spell also seemed to be another common point of confusion as of late. Having to explain that they didn't have priority and by the time they did have priority the creature was no longer on the battlefield and only hearing "ok, but I killed it, so emerge fails" is definitely one of the mind boggling moments of magic that I've encountered recently.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dehtraen posted:

People targeting / attempting to kill creatures that were being sacrificed to cast an emerge spell also seemed to be another common point of confusion as of late. Having to explain that they didn't have priority and by the time they did have priority the creature was no longer on the battlefield and only hearing "ok, but I killed it, so emerge fails" is definitely one of the mind boggling moments of magic that I've encountered recently.

Soft judging events reminds me why I don't go and renew my long lapsed judgeship. Little kids that don't fully understand are fine and will tend to listen, even if they immediately forget. 30 year olds that refuse to rtfc or respect that release notes when they're directly read to them are tiresome.

One guy wouldn't accept that Enigma Sphinx doesn't get +2/+0 from an Aftermath card in the discard. Myself and three other people took turns reading the release note entry to him. Then in a match he tried to convince his opponent that it worked to his advantage.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
Finished getting my set of Terese Neilsen judge basic lands signed. I'm so excited!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

Soft judging events reminds me why I don't go and renew my long lapsed judgeship. Little kids that don't fully understand are fine and will tend to listen, even if they immediately forget. 30 year olds that refuse to rtfc or respect that release notes when they're directly read to them are tiresome.

One guy wouldn't accept that Enigma Sphinx doesn't get +2/+0 from an Aftermath card in the discard. Myself and three other people took turns reading the release note entry to him. Then in a match he tried to convince his opponent that it worked to his advantage.

What was he trying to do? Enigma Sphinx isn't a card in Amonkhet.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

PJOmega posted:

What card are you even talking about here? Enigma Sphinx is a card from Alara and none of the Sphinxes in this set get P/T bonuses from discard.
The only thing even close is Horror of the Broken Lands and I can't even fathom how someone would think that interacts with Aftermath at all.
:psyduck:

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Probably Enigma Drake?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

HMS Beagle posted:

Probably Enigma Drake?
Yea I'm assuming it's about engima drake somehow 'double counting' aftermath cards, as if an aftermath card is can get counted as two different cards in a graveyard.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
If someone's been told by a judge (and it doesn't have to be a certified judge, they just have to be someone judging the event which it sounds like you might have been) and they tried to pull one over on their opponent later, I'd DQ them. I've never had someone be that belligerent before about a ruling.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
After a series of unfortunate encounters with Glorybringer I was playing in the 0-X end of the LGS at the prerelease and the amount of poo poo that people were getting wrong was really bad. Way too much for me to point it out and help while still finishing my own match on time, unfortunately.

People getting bullied out of using fan bearers because they don't understand priority and the judge clearly not realizing it, etc etc.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the real secret is that a lot of these rules "mistakes" are nerds trying to be aggressive and cheat and hope to intimidate people into letting them get away with these dumb low level cheats

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It took me about 4 limited events with Start // Finish in my deck before I noticed that the Start half is an instant. :negative:

Now I think it's a really good card, not just a quite good one.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Entropic posted:

What card are you even talking about here? Enigma Sphinx is a card from Alara and none of the Sphinxes in this set get P/T bonuses from discard.
The only thing even close is Horror of the Broken Lands and I can't even fathom how someone would think that interacts with Aftermath at all.
:psyduck:

drat, meant Enigma Drake.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

If someone's been told by a judge (and it doesn't have to be a certified judge, they just have to be someone judging the event which it sounds like you might have been) and they tried to pull one over on their opponent later, I'd DQ them. I've never had someone be that belligerent before about a ruling.

It's a really, really soft store and I'm not there in any official capacity. Three of us are either active or former judges so we handle any rule disputes because the kids running the store don't know all the rules. Which is fine, except they explicitly don't have the authority, per the owner's word, to DQ anyone short of violence, blatant cheating, or "using the Lord's name in vain."

I think the last was a joke.

Still, the drafts are dirt cheap and if I want to draft with friends we go there.

Do wish they'd at least randomize seating for the pods.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mailorder bees! posted:

Finished getting my set of Terese Neilsen judge basic lands signed. I'm so excited!

She's a great artist, that's very cool.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Cactrot posted:

I'd never played the deck in any format, but attacking with large dumb creatures seemed like fun, and it was cheap and simple. I made a grave error on how enjoyable it would actually be to play though.

What's the pauper meta looking like? I played Kiln Fiend/Cyclops last year and goddamn love it, aside from folding to MBC basically instantly. Haven't kept up with the format, though.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

What's the pauper meta looking like? I played Kiln Fiend/Cyclops last year and goddamn love it, aside from folding to MBC basically instantly. Haven't kept up with the format, though.

Izzet blitz is still really good. I'm a huge fan of playing acid trip because it's such a horrible deck. I also built mono black for paper pauper, and elves and goblins. Some bogles, affinity, and tron locally as well.

Play whatever you want, it's pauper.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

The meta last time I played on MTGO was about 40% Rancor, 40% Delver and a few other random aggro decks like Affinity here and there. 0 midrange, 0 control. I haven't played since the last time when I played like 5 leagues in a week and ran into something like, 11 Delver, 9 Rancor decks, 2 Affinity, 1 UR, 1 burn, and 1 tron.
Izzet has always been terrible imo, but I also play fair decks with removal so *shrug*

Mezzanon posted:

This is good advice if you're just playing for fun. If you're playing in an actual tournament it's very bad advice.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Yea I'm assuming it's about engima drake somehow 'double counting' aftermath cards, as if an aftermath card is can get counted as two different cards in a graveyard.

I mean, I can at least understand the confusion. It does count for two types for Delirium or Tarmogoyf. I just assumed it didn't because it's counting "cards" and nothing ever lets you do that twice.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Death Bot posted:

I feel like bogles is the kind of deck that's fun to play one, maybe two rounds with. Like you could borrow it or spend a little to finish it and play an fnm until you get bored.

It's one of the loaner decks at my where I play pauper and lots of newer players end up running it. Seems to work ok when used like that.

Mezzanon posted:

That's a good attitude and it's one of the reasons "only paper commons + online banlist" works at this shop. The payouts are casual so people aren't just playing mbc and high tide: everybody gets at least a pack and you can get bonus packs if you showed up the previous week.

Some alters from a guy's UWR Trinket deck:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Dehtraen posted:

Best one I've seen similar to this is a guy blowing himself out responding to an ulamog trigger by trying to flip a westvale abbey that was targeted by ulamog's cast trigger, thinking it would be a new object.

The number of people with a fundamental misunderstanding about how the game works seems to be on a major uptick.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Xaerael posted:

The number of people with a fundamental misunderstanding about how the game works seems to be on a major uptick.

I have seen this locally due to our shop being very proactive at increasing numbers attending through running a number of casual weekend and bank holiday events. This has increased the numbers coming to FNM.

It's all good, we all transitioned from whatever casual tabletop/DOTP starting point at one time.... Unless you were 'birthing podded' into life with perfect rules enforcement level skills.

Due to my GB constrictor decklist I am having a lot of the trample/deathtouch/indestructability interaction confusion happening across the table.. :)

DoctorOozy fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 9, 2017

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

rabidsquid posted:

the real secret is that a lot of these rules "mistakes" are nerds trying to be aggressive and cheat and hope to intimidate people into letting them get away with these dumb low level cheats

So this is pretty widespread? I think I'll stick to MTGO for a while until I get better caught up on all the new rules and mechanics.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

So this is pretty widespread? I think I'll stick to MTGO for a while until I get better caught up on all the new rules and mechanics.

Honestly, MTGO is a pretty great way to nail down the rules, especially regarding things like who has priority, how the stack works, and etc. I definitely feel more confident / make fewer mistakes when playing paper magic now.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

mailorder bees! posted:

finally took a pic

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mailorder bees! posted:

finally took a pic

fuuuuuuck yeaaaaaahhhhh

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

mailorder bees! posted:

finally took a pic

Very cool! I found a couple artist signed cards with my decks. Will post later.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Very cool! I found a couple artist signed cards with my decks. Will post later.

ooh nice. I love artist signings

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm lamely trying to get as much of my modern cards signed as possible. Going to less than 1 GP a year on average is not speeding this process up.

My buddy day 2'd at GP Vegas 15 on the back of Sign in Blood and Mana Leak (among others), so I got those two cards signed for him by Howard Lyon and let me tell you dude has a great sig. Also my Thoughtseizes signed by Lucas Graciano look sick. Basically any gold paint marker signed cards look fantastic.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Xaerael posted:

Best one I've seen similar to this is a guy blowing himself out responding to an ulamog trigger by trying to flip a westvale abbey that was targeted by ulamog's cast trigger, thinking it would be a new object.

He probably saw someone save a flip Jace from removal that way, and didn't realize that transforming a card and exiling a card, then returning it to the battlefield transformed, aren't the same thing. It's a very easy mistake for someone to make.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

ShaneB posted:

I'm lamely trying to get as much of my modern cards signed as possible. Going to less than 1 GP a year on average is not speeding this process up.

My buddy day 2'd at GP Vegas 15 on the back of Sign in Blood and Mana Leak (among others), so I got those two cards signed for him by Howard Lyon and let me tell you dude has a great sig. Also my Thoughtseizes signed by Lucas Graciano look sick. Basically any gold paint marker signed cards look fantastic.

Agreed on gold paint marker. Also good: pete venters in red on a foil tendrils of agony. Makes me sad people scoop to the tutor and not the tendrils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

This is pretty much what I'm doing having revisited (not saying I'm here to stay quite yet) Magic after about a 15 year break.