Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Everything flight sims have ever taught me makes me scream at this but of course it's pretty much an accurate depiction of pubbie dogfights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Kopijeger posted:

One book mentioned some starved soldiers reaching a supply depot in East Prussia who gorged themselves on flour and promptly died. Not sure if it was from the flour expanding their stomach or simply refeeding syndrome.

Yep, I've heard of this one and the horse piss drinking one too. That retreat was loving horrifying, and people don't mention the Russian armies went through their own smaller scale but just as hosed up reinactment of some of this stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

Nice experimental thrust vectoring Mustang he's got there

Also indestructium airframe. Pretty sure if you could get the plane to pitch that hard in real life you'd just rip the wings off.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
HEY GAL if you have any spare cash you should read Leggiere's biography of Blücher. It's about an eighteenth century dude but lots of his early life is completely in your ballpark.

Blücher's military career started from him watching Swedish cavalry on one of the German Baltic islands (Rügen?) as a boy and joining up against his father's wishes. In something like his first real action he got captured by the Prussians and the cavalry officer who caught him, von Belling, decided that he liked young Blücher and made him a cornet on condition he didn't run away.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 8, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Really his life should get a TV mini movie adaption.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

HEY GAL if you have any spare cash you should read Leggiere's biography of Blücher. It's about an eighteenth century dude but lots of his early life is completely in your ballpark.

Blücher's military career started from him watching Swedish cavalry on one of the German Baltic islands (Rügen?) as a boy and joining up against his father's wishes. In something like his first real action he got captured by the Prussians and the cavalry officer who caught him, von Belling, decided that he liked young Blücher and made him a cornet on condition he didn't run away.
hellyeah

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
What was the draw weight on longbows? I'm under the impression it was crazy high. So as a follow up, how did they use these regularly w presumably mediocre nutrition when their draw weight is way above what's recommended for people now?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Have you seen how distorted their spines and shoulders would get? I think those weights not being recommended has less to do with a modern person's inability to actually draw them (after training anyway), so much as that it'd be really detrimental to your health.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoLLDi-M3fk

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

More German rounds on display. What foreign round(s) are being shown today? Which hollow-charge ammunition was used as a stopgap munition? Which AA guns have rounds in today's update? What other tapered bore gun are we seeing today? All that and more at the blog!

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Koramei posted:

Have you seen how distorted their spines and shoulders would get? I think those weights not being recommended has less to do with a modern person's inability to actually draw them (after training anyway), so much as that it'd be really detrimental to your health.

So they just had really terrible shoulder problems etc after? Did people connect this to using the bows?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It's also important to remember that life expectancy wasn't anything like it is today. I'm sure people with all sorts of high impact jobs (farmer, laborer, miller, fisher to name a few) had bodies by the time they were 35 that had joint problems similar to what you see with a pro athlete today. If you live in the 21st century and can reasonably expect to make it to 80 that's a really big deal. If you can expect to be in the ground before 50 it's not half the issue.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
also the terrible nutrition wasn't every place and time in the past but only certain ones (large cities in england during the first half of the 19th century, western europe during the early 17th century, etc). it's entirely possible that your elite bowmen had been well fed during their childhoods, allowing them to grow up into the kind of barrel chested hulks that this job required

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm sure people with all sorts of high impact jobs (farmer, laborer, miller, fisher to name a few) had bodies by the time they were 35 that had joint problems similar to what you see with a pro athlete today.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/csi-italian-renaissance-4796118/

quote:

The victim, it appeared, had suffered from several chronic and puzzling conditions. A CT scan and digital X-ray revealed a calcification of the knees, as well as a level of arthritis in elbows, hips and lumbar vertebrae surprisingly advanced for anyone this young...
the dead guy had fought from horseback a lot, which as it turns out is terrible for your knees and lower back

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Wait, so is there actually truth to the whole "legs distorted from a lifetime on the saddle" thing for Mongols and Tatars and so on?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

MrMojok posted:

That's the biggest thing that bothers me with the new-er CG-filled WWII movies. They can sure make photorealistic aircraft with computers now, but they often make them move more like TIE fighters than like WWII piston-engine aircraft.

Ironic, given that TIE fighters are basically playing the role of 109s.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAIL posted:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/csi-italian-renaissance-4796118/

the dead guy had fought from horseback a lot, which as it turns out is terrible for your knees and lower back

I'm the pathologist who thinks an Early Renaissance nobleman couldn't have been an alcoholic because there wasn't hard liquor available. It's not like Italy had vinyards or anything.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'm the pathologist who thinks an Early Renaissance nobleman couldn't have been an alcoholic because there wasn't hard liquor available. It's not like Italy had vinyards or anything.

Wait, people actually say this?

Hold on gotta go call my old grad school buddy who downed a 12 pack every night and tell him he can cut out this AA bullshit.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cyrano4747 posted:

Wait, people actually say this?

Hold on gotta go call my old grad school buddy who downed a 12 pack every night and tell him he can cut out this AA bullshit.

I think it may be the fault of the journalist, not the pathologist, but here's the relevant bits from the article:

quote:

Histological analysis of liver cells detected advanced fibrosis, although he had never touched hard liquor.

His liver disease may well have been caused by a virus, not alcohol, because hard liquor was unknown in Cangrande’s day.

So, uh, yeah. Italian noblemen couldn't have alcohol-induced liver problems because there was no hard liquor in Renaissance Italy.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 9, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I think it may be the fault of the journalist, not the pathologist, but here's the relevant bits from the article:

So, uh, yeah.

BRB, going to doctor. Think I just sprained something rolling my eyes that hard.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mean, I get that wine isn't traditionally considered a hard liquor but seriously holy poo poo why didn't someone at the Smithsonian catch this during the editing process? I have no reason to doubt this pathologist that this Cangrande dude's death wasn't alcohol-related but that phrasing is sloppy and stupid as gently caress.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 9, 2017

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

HEY GAIL posted:

also the terrible nutrition wasn't every place and time in the past but only certain ones (large cities in england during the first half of the 19th century, western europe during the early 17th century, etc). it's entirely possible that your elite bowmen had been well fed during their childhoods, allowing them to grow up into the kind of barrel chested hulks that this job required

I was about to say this myself. Nutrition wasn't going to be a huge issue for a lot of English archers during the HYW (at least in terms of getting calories, not saying they were eating kale and quinoa after a day at the archery butts). A lot of those guys were from the elite of the non-aristocracy. Their parents were more likely to be skilled tradesmen or some kind of small landowners than the stereotypical commoner. A good number of professional/semi-professional English archers were coming from families who had an older son that they could afford to equip as a man-at-arms, but weren't rich enough to buy armor for the younger son or other male family members. The younger son/cousin would work as an archer for a while until he could raise the money to buy a full harness and get a contract for service as a man-at-arms. So these families weren't super rich, but they also weren't hurting to put food on the table.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

So, uh, yeah. Italian noblemen couldn't have alcohol-induced liver problems because there was no hard liquor in Renaissance Italy.

Isn't Renaissance Italy exactly when hard liquor was invented? Specifically to remove water from wine to make it more efficient to ship?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was gonna say did distillation of any sort not exist at the time? I thought even the romans made fortified wine which was why they diluted it to drink it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The first confirmed distillation of alcoholic beverages (distillation was discovered in the 1st century, but seems to have been used only for alchemical use for centuries) took place in the 1400s. The strongest known Roman wine was Falernian, which is estimated at about 15% ABV. Watering wine was a Greek custom adopted by the Romans, and was more a way of stretching the wine supply than it was a means of diluting the alcohol content.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

Isn't Renaissance Italy exactly when hard liquor was invented? Specifically to remove water from wine to make it more efficient to ship?

A quick check on Whiskey in wikipedia found a mention of "aqua vitae" in Ireland in the late 1400s - though it seemed the process of distillation went Greek -> Muslim -> West, with the Muslims and the Westerns initially decanting spirits as medicine.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Taken from an "Eastern Front Combat Footage" video. Don't know why they're showing spits since its all supposed to be 1941 footage. (The Russians only had Spit V's, and only in mid-43)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
http://i.imgur.com/kG3HRWZ.gifv

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
how much alcohol is necessary to gently caress your liver up that much though

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Koramei posted:

Wait, so is there actually truth to the whole "legs distorted from a lifetime on the saddle" thing for Mongols and Tatars and so on?
probably not visibly so. i mean, i have no doubt that if historians were examining my bones and JaucheCharley's bones hundreds of years after we died they would see that i have a little bump on the middle finger of my right hand from writing a lot and terrible knees and ankles from walking around carrying heavy things, while JaucheCharley was an archer, but on the outside neither one of us looks different

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Fusion Restaurant posted:

What was the draw weight on longbows? I'm under the impression it was crazy high. So as a follow up, how did they use these regularly w presumably mediocre nutrition when their draw weight is way above what's recommended for people now?

I usually see 150 lbs quoted for a war bow. Other posters have addressed the second part.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Reading this death ray proposal is amazing. The guy is like a Kickstarter from 70 years ago: Yeah, we're gonna make a death ray, all we need to do is figure out how to power it, how to focus the beam, how to create VHF generators two orders of magnitude stronger than we have now, how to let the electrons out, and how to put it together. But otherwise I figured everything out, that will be 7 million rubles please.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Thanks for all the super interesting answers! I really need to talk to my friends who do forensic archeology (?) more, sounds so cool!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

German soldier carrying a PPSh - I haven't seen real statistics but anecdotes say this wasn't uncommon on the East Front. I wonder how they handled ammo resupply, were there enough that is was worth it to produce and distribute PPSh ammo?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Probably scavenging, they did produce a lot of dead soviet soldiers after all.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HEY GAIL posted:

but on the outside neither one of us looks different

Have you tried dying hair, using makeup etc?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

gohuskies posted:

German soldier carrying a PPSh - I haven't seen real statistics but anecdotes say this wasn't uncommon on the East Front. I wonder how they handled ammo resupply, were there enough that is was worth it to produce and distribute PPSh ammo?

Is that not a Soviet soldier?

Tias
May 25, 2008

GotLag posted:

Is that not a Soviet soldier?

It looks like he's planting a German 'schuhkarton' mine, so without being completely certain I would guess he's wehrmacht.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The helmet is clearly Soviet. The mine looks like YaM-5 or some other version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

I stand corrected! So he could be all soviet.