Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
So, uh, is every single one of our social links either gonna be one of our fellow Persona-wielders or shady as gently caress? 'cuz that doctor is something special, and while I joke about Sojiro being a retired Daisuke Jigen, he's really starting to sound like he's actually a retired criminal of some kind.

e: Also, Haifisch, that is a magnificently disturbing avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Anne isn't good? One of her endgame support skills (you know the one). Your argument is invalid.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 8, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Just a thought but maybe let's not bring up things from the literal end of the game while we're at the literal start of the game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They really do a good job with Sojiro. At first he just seems to be another reminder that society hates you but as you dig into the game you start to see just how good a person he actually is. Also I never even saw some of the scenes in this update so I am looking forward to seeing what else I missed in this game.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Sojiro is the best, nobody can deny cats when they meow

Doc Morbid posted:

So uh, those "Battle" and "Urgent" tabs on there when you're making infiltration items? I somehow managed to do almost two entire playthroughs of this game without noticing you could change tabs on that screen, and only found out when someone in the main thread over at Games mentioned you could do that. :eng99:

I'm usually more attentive than this, so I have no clue what the hell happened there. Guess I was always so focused on just making lockpicks and checking how many materials I had that I didn't pay any attention to the rest of the screen.

what?

*checks*

Oh my god ow my forehead

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Is this gonna be one of these gigantic/long RPGs like Witcher 3 is?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
A typical first run of a Persona game is around 100 hours.

So, yes.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

frajaq posted:

It takes about 80 hours to finish the game.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Junpei posted:

Anne isn't good? One of her endgame support skills (you know the one). Your argument is invalid.
Jesus Christ can you go one thread without popping in after two updates and screaming "LOOK LOOK I KNOW ABOUT THE ENDGAME!!!!!!!"

I'm with the OP on Ann, her costume just feels out of place both because it's oversexualized for no reason and because (unlike every other party member) she actively seems to dislike it, as we see here. I guess you could make the argument that Ann sees the "spirit of rebellion" as a sexy femme fatale, but I feel like that could have been portrayed as something other than a skin-tight bodysuit with a boob window. Also there's a tail. Why is there a tail?

Gameplay-wise her speed isn't great, so most battles are over by the time you get to her. It also doesn't help that she basically has no options for damage outside of fire, so she's completely neutered if an enemy blocks it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Jesus Christ can you go one thread without popping in after two updates and screaming "LOOK LOOK I KNOW ABOUT THE ENDGAME!!!!!!!"

I'm with the OP on Ann, her costume just feels out of place both because it's oversexualized for no reason and because (unlike every other party member) she actively seems to dislike it, as we see here. I guess you could make the argument that Ann sees the "spirit of rebellion" as a sexy femme fatale, but I feel like that could have been portrayed as something other than a skin-tight bodysuit with a boob window. Also there's a tail. Why is there a tail?

Gameplay-wise her speed isn't great, so most battles are over by the time you get to her. It also doesn't help that she basically has no options for damage outside of fire, so she's completely neutered if an enemy blocks it.

Considering her mask has cat ears on it, the tail is part of her cat bugler aesthetic. Honestly I never really worry about speed as for the most part Joker does the heavy lifting and if need-be can just sub her in with baton pass. Beyond this she does have some decent utility so even if you run up against an enemy who is immune to fire she can still contribute.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I did edit that, you know. And to be perfectly honest, I still really like her. That's just my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

frajaq posted:

My clear data is 86 hours and 24 minutes.

For reference, my last save for this LP, which is about five minutes ahead of where we are, is at 5 hours and 8 minutes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, I should add that everyone in this game is usable. Nobody's garbage. It's just that Ann is really only good at one thing and most everyone else is more versatile. I'm not even sure I think she's the worst party member mechanically, but it's too early to talk about that.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

That's actually not true, as I know at least one other party member also has at least some issues with their outfit, and I want to say several others vocalize some complaints as well.

Also, her outfit is blatantly supposed to call to mind cat burglars, and very specifically Catwoman - who's something like the iconic female version of that in the modern consciousness. Like, "possible copyright violation if the outfit was black" similar. It's not a matter of what their persona is either, as Ryuji's outfit isn't really pirate-like at all, and I can't really relate most of the future ones to their persona either. Our MC getting the gentleman thief outfit to go along with Arsene as his persona is nearly unique in them matching up like that.

Having an issue with how sexualized the outfit appears is perfectly fine, but thinking that style of dress is out of nowhere is incredibly silly. Also, the next most well-known cat burglar/femme fatale in Japan would probably be Fujiko Mine and, uh, there'd be other issues with Ann's outfit if she took after her.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Arist posted:

It's just that Ann is really only good at one thing

Four things actually. Ann has four distinct strengths as a character gameplay wise.

About the outfit...well....that discussion should wait till later when he have more information.

Short answer - people are , as always, overstating the problem.

Also, Haifisch, love the avatar.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 9, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I have yet to see a reason to regret adding Junpei to my ignore list. Join me, friends; 'tis not too late to seek a finer world.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That avatar is horrifying. Why are Igor's eyes always bulging?

Also, Sojiro is secretly a huge softy under all of the threats? That's nice.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That avatar is horrifying. Why are Igor's eyes always bulging?

Also, Sojiro is secretly a huge softy under all of the threats? That's nice.

We did kind of get an indication of this earlier when we showed up super late for class and he basically let us off with a stern look. As long as he's got reason to believe we're no actual harm to anybody I kind of doubt we'll run afoul of him.

vdate fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 9, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Ann is one of the *most* versatile members of the team for the vast majority of the game and had a nigh permanent spot on my Merciless run. Only in endgame does she become a one trick pony, but it's still one hell of a trick.

I mean, you can complain that she's SP reliant, or can't do good damage against fire resistant enemies, but "versatility"? She excels at that.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

derra posted:

Ann is one of the *most* versatile members of the team for the vast majority of the game and had a nigh permanent spot on my Merciless run. Only in endgame does she become a one trick pony, but it's still one hell of a trick.

I mean, you can complain that she's SP reliant, or can't do good damage against fire resistant enemies, but "versatility"? She excels at that.

Indeed :golfclap:

She didn't make it onto my final team at the "very bitter end", but she got plenty of use up till that point since she provides support in areas that no other party members go.

If you go by the old rpg strategy "Damage prevented is damage healed" then Ann is the 2nd best healer in the game*.

Also on Merciless.

*not counting the PC.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 9, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

derra posted:

This is the last I'll say about it because I don't care to rehash this forever but the things Ann does other party members do better and the things she can do besides nuke are generally very specific. She is also by no means one of the party's more versatile members. She doesn't even break the top 4.

She's not the least useful party member, still.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Arist posted:

I'm trying to think of who this might be....

I have an idea that it's one of two characters. One I would agree with you on, and one that I would REALLY disagree with you on.

Can't wait to see which one it is :downs:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

vdate posted:

So, uh, is every single one of our social links either gonna be one of our fellow Persona-wielders or shady as gently caress? 'cuz that doctor is something special, and while I joke about Sojiro being a retired Daisuke Jigen, he's really starting to sound like he's actually a retired criminal of some kind.

e: Also, Haifisch, that is a magnificently disturbing avatar.

Sorry if this is getting too spoilery, but I think the game does a really good job of showing how each of the social links is an outcast from society or misfit in some way and I love how that just ties into the overall theme of the game.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Arist posted:

This is the last I'll say about it because I don't care to rehash this forever but the things Ann does other party members do better and the things she can do besides nuke are generally very specific. She is also by no means one of the party's more versatile members. She doesn't even break the top 4.

No other party member has access to a "high chance" ailment, which is without argument something she does better than other party members. And on Merciless, that is the difference between victory and wipe if anything goes wrong.

Don't want to clog up the LP but when we do see everyone I wonder who you consider more versatile because outside of some niche builds that I never see anyone advocate for I can't put her lower than second under Wild Card Joker until level 50 or so.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't play on Merciless because I like liking this game.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I can't speak to endgame stuff--I'm at June 6th in my own playthrough--but whatever issues Ann has down the line, she's MVP material up until that point at least. Outfit's kind of a pity, alas.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Arist posted:

I don't play on Merciless because I like liking this game.

Awwww....

SMT games and Masochism are a time honored tradition :downs:

I don't blame you though.

Interestingly enough, Ann is generally the most divisive character combat wise on other boards (reddit, etc...). It comes down to whether you see her as a downgraded Yukiko, or an upgraded Mitsuru. I'm obviously in the latter camp, but I do see the argument for the former.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Mericless has one interesting idea(higher technical/weakness damage & lower other damage) it's not worth seeing because the rest of it(less xp, less money) just makes the game a slog. I know some people like it but I've never been a fan of "difficulty" that realistically translates to "grind more."

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I could see her being redundant on Normal difficulties, but I'm trying to do the first play-through on Hard and it makes the stuff she gets access to drat near vital in the early game. I imagine Merciless would make it even moreso.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Mericless has one interesting idea(higher technical/weakness damage & lower other damage) it's not worth seeing because the rest of it(less xp, less money) just makes the game a slog. I know some people like it but I've never been a fan of "difficulty" that realistically translates to "grind more."

The way that experience works in this game grinding does very little for you in terms of levels, and cash...

If you approach the game thinking that grinding is the way out of a problem then Merciless is not for you, yes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I played on Normal and had to do zero grinding, but I figured that's because all the values are tuned for it. Persona in general is pretty good about making sure you don't have to grind, even on Hard.

Does xp scale relative to your level? If so, that would make Merciless slightly less annoying. The way it's presented makes it sound like you'd be wasting a bunch of time trying to stay on par with people on normal/hard.

e: And I've seen people who think that the "more grinding" type of hard is real difficulty, which adds to my assumption.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 9, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Haifisch posted:

I played on Normal and had to do zero grinding, but I figured that's because all the values are tuned for it.

Does xp scale relative to your level? If so, that would make merciless slightly less annoying. Slightly.

In practice yes when compared to other difficulties. I was typically -5 to -7 the average level on any given day. You're going to be lower level, but not like half the level of your counterparts.

derra fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 9, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

derra posted:

The way that experience works in this game grinding does very little for you in terms of levels, and cash...

If you approach the game thinking that grinding is the way out of a problem then Merciless is not for you, yes.

Except for the part where being underleveled means you have no way to get current Personas.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, in my opinion, a good higher difficulty makes you think more tactically and approach situations with a different frame of mind. When I think of how an enemy or boss could be changed on a higher difficulty, I think "Give them new moves that you have to plan around", not "Increase their stats and call it a day".

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Arist posted:

Except for the part where being underleveled means you have no way to get current Personas.

Hey, if the Persona is your level or higher it's current! : )

I fused just about everything rather than negotiate anyway. Really, it was trickier not killing initial enemies with the increased technical / crit damage to get them to the table in the first place. But yes, every level was exciting as I'd rush back and see what I could make.

Really, with one major exception not having access to a few Arcana for matching was more annoying than combat restrictions.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
My first run of this game was on Merciless, and I had a blast. Of course, I personally find that mode easier than Hard Mode for whatever reason.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Ann learns Tentarafoo. Tentarafoo is excellent.

Also, Adhesive Bandages are better than... anything, really, at this stage in the game. They only heal for 20, but their cost efficiency is twice that of the Takemedic stuff.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Montegoraon posted:

Ann learns Tentarafoo. Tentarafoo is excellent.

Also, Adhesive Bandages are better than... anything, really, at this stage in the game. They only heal for 20, but their cost efficiency is twice that of the Takemedic stuff.

Tentarafoo is good, yes. We'll be using that a bit later for another reason. Generally, however, I tend to prioritize knockdowns over status effects unless the enemy doesn't have a weakness, and even then a lot of the time it's a miniboss that's immune. We'll still get some use out of Ann in this LP, don't worry.

I didn't know about the Adhesive Bandage thing (because they're not available at the Clinic) but we'll pick up some of those before heading back in.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
If I'm going to be honest, I actually consider Ryuji to be the weaker link in the overall party lineup. If Ann's facing an enemy with a Fire resistance, her damage suffers for it, yes, but she's got other options that still let her contribute to the party, such as healing or applying statuses. On the other hand, if an enemy has a Physical resistance, then Ryuji doesn't have the SP to sustain his magic for very long, and his Electric magic isn't that strong to begin with. I didn't end up using Ryuji too often in my first playthrough, and I don't feel like I lost much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

quote:

smh at this game not making you max out a social link before sleeping with a teammate