Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Nice, he actually moved the 2 loss team from our division last year to D1 this season too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I'm just glad action was actually taken. I do kinda worry about the longevity of the coed league though. Both my team and the Growlers play well enough that we could be considered high D3 or low D2, the rest of the league would easily slot into D3.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

D3 is kind of a tire fire too, the only lower tier league for beginners to play are the AIL or the summer coed. And yet it's full of dudes that have clearly played their entire life and can score at will.

Which I can live with, beer league isn't ever going to be fair. But if the rink is going to make token gestures to fix it pressure is going to build to do more. Don't envy the complaints he's gonna field!

JamesWestfall
Mar 29, 2010

I haven't been skating for very long and was previously renting skates, I went to the stop got measured and fitted into some CCM Tacks 5092 and they felt pretty nice into the store, on the ice, there's a couple of spots putting pretty noticeable pressure on spots in my foot, the pain felt pretty bad after about two hours that I had to sit and was afraid to push as hard as normal because of it, the skates pass the pencil test and I can't get a finger down the back so what gives?

Is this just normal for a new skater with new skates or what?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Feet are weird, you might have freaky bones. Talk to a skate shop and they can punch out the tender spots.

Changing lacing tightness and socks (or no socks at all) can work too.

JamesWestfall
Mar 29, 2010

xzzy posted:

Feet are weird, you might have freaky bones. Talk to a skate shop and they can punch out the tender spots.

Changing lacing tightness and socks (or no socks at all) can work too.

Without punching will these spots ever go away or is this just something I have to deal with or get punched? It's mostly tight around the heel of my foot as it goes up to my ankle.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why not just get them punched as suggested. You got them at your LHS, they will take care of you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JamesWestfall posted:

Without punching will these spots ever go away or is this just something I have to deal with or get punched? It's mostly tight around the heel of my foot as it goes up to my ankle.

My feet problems are different than your feet problems so I can't say. Punching didn't help me though, but I know it helps a lot of other people.

So like sellouts said, go talk to the people that sold them to you. They should be super eager to help if they give any fucks about their customers.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If they didn't hurt until you skated for two hours that doesn't bother me.

How did they feel for the first 30 minutes you were skating?

JamesWestfall
Mar 29, 2010

Chemmy posted:

If they didn't hurt until you skated for two hours that doesn't bother me.

How did they feel for the first 30 minutes you were skating?

Pretty tight in all the problem spots, snug to super snug with some pain.

JamesWestfall fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 9, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Loosen skates when you lace them.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Have you tried re-baking them?

JamesWestfall
Mar 29, 2010

They were never baked...a friend came with me and suggested me these skates, never told me to have them baked and the guy at the store never made a mention of it so I didn't say anything.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Not sure which ones you have but some can't be baked.

It's always worth a shot of they can though. Baking can resolve a lot of little hot spots

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The product page for the 5092 says they're thermo-formable. I'm honestly a little surprised the shop didn't cook them when you bought them.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

JamesWestfall posted:

They were never baked...a friend came with me and suggested me these skates, never told me to have them baked and the guy at the store never made a mention of it so I didn't say anything.

I'd just go to the store where you bought them. I bought a pair of skates and they baked them for me and punched them out probably a dozen times before they felt right for me.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
I have CCM equivalent and they can be baked! And spot heated/punched!

Let me know if you have any questions on them after you get them baked to your feet. Hopefully that solves it. Mine needed further punching.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I have the 5092s, definitely get them baked. It'll make a huge difference.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Getting a bit sick so don't feel like playing in the next couple of days at least. Decided it was about time to wash that gear.

Pretty bad but I've seen worse.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

doctor 7 posted:

Getting a bit sick so don't feel like playing in the next couple of days at least. Decided it was about time to wash that gear.

Why not just put it in the washing machine?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I've always heard the bathtub with a little detergent is the way to go. Some washers can mess up your gear.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I chirped a guy for his tinted visor last night and he lost his poo poo.
He tried to lay a hit on me, then crosschecked me in the cage and literally said "I will loving kill you." He got 2 for the high stick and a 5 for a body check.

We were up by 2 at the time with 8 minutes left, and he was by far their best player. We ended up winning by 4. He skipped the handshake line.

Good times.

doctor 7 posted:

If it doesn't look like literal shitwater, it's not dirty yet.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Tinted visor guys are the best

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

doctor 7 posted:

oh hey got those same cheapy easton gloves and it's amazing how much worse one glove smells than the other it's nasty. :v::respek::reject:

I've been doing the washing machine bit but both pairs seems to be at a stink level that I may need to do the above. Got another hockey friend who says put some oxyclean in the tub, too? Please help me dispel the evil stink demons in my gloves and elbow pads.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Why not just put it in the washing machine?

I have a smaller size one so I'd have to do it in multiple loads, plus potential damage (that probably would never happen but the tub method works so why chance it).

Duke Chin posted:

oh hey got those same cheapy easton gloves and it's amazing how much worse one glove smells than the other it's nasty. :v::respek::reject:

I've been doing the washing machine bit but both pairs seems to be at a stink level that I may need to do the above. Got another hockey friend who says put some oxyclean in the tub, too? Please help me dispel the evil stink demons in my gloves and elbow pads.

I haven't found the smell worse than another other gloves but I always wash my gear every 4-6 months. But I've never had a glove as comfy as my Synergy HSXs, it's like putting your hand into a loving cloud.

I had to buy some new laces and tried on a bunch of gloves while I was at the shop. Only thing to come close for a nice feel was Bauer's new 1s glove. $220 in Canada though, way out of my price range when really I just need to get my HSXs repalmed.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If it doesn't look like literal shitwater, it's not dirty yet.

Saw this on Reddit the other day:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

doctor 7 posted:

I haven't found the smell worse than another other gloves but I always wash my gear every 4-6 months. But I've never had a glove as comfy as my Synergy HSXs, it's like putting your hand into a loving cloud.

I know why the one glove smells worse: teammate had the same gloves and he accidentally walked off with one of them after we changed and used it for a pickup game or something a couple days later. When I got it back jesus gently caress christ i think that dude sweats vinegar mixed with cat piss mixed with burnt bacon.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

That's typically what mine looks like after I give it it's bi-yearly wash. Impressive.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I chirped a guy for his tinted visor last night and he lost his poo poo.

Some people don't like to be called "brO vechkin"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What do you tub washers use for soap? Just some laundry detergent?

My tried and true washing machine routine stopped working as well with our new washer. :iiam:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

EvilTwig posted:

Some people don't like to be called "brO vechkin"

I prefer Steve Visorman

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
First game of the season last Saturday. 9-3 win and I got one assist. Unfortunately that assist came from the goalie robbing me of a goal a better player would have scored.

Had my first ever physio appointment on Monday after an 18 year dick bag took me down from behind while I had the puck, then blamed me for it. Not even sure how he did it but he tangled his legs in mine as I was skating and took us both down. I fell awkward and sprained a rotator muscle (?) in my shoulder. In short though physios are amazing and worth every penny.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

xzzy posted:

My tried and true washing machine routine stopped working as well with our new washer. :iiam:

Regular non-bleach laundry detergent. Throw everything in with warm water and give them a good wash for a couple of minutes per item. Let them soak for another 10 minutes or so.

Then drain the water and wash out the soapy water. Let everything dry for a few days.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I've always heard the bathtub with a little detergent is the way to go. Some washers can mess up your gear.

Eh, I've washed my ref gear 10 or 12 times now and it's fine

doctor 7 posted:

I have a smaller size one so I'd have to do it in multiple loads, plus potential damage (that probably would never happen but the tub method works so why chance it).

I had to buy some new laces and tried on a bunch of gloves while I was at the shop. Only thing to come close for a nice feel was Bauer's new 1s glove. $220 in Canada though, way out of my price range when really I just need to get my HSXs repalmed.

:barf:

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

xzzy posted:

I've used Win: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0WS2GW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and HEX: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F7Q77MK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works fairly well on my workout clothes, knee sleeves and gear. On a nice day I take mine outside and wash it in a big rubbermaid container and let it soak in the blistering Texas sun.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
large plastic totes are great for when you don't feel like cleaning black dirt rings out of your bath tub after washing your gear.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

:barf:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't see why there would be a problem with putting your gear in a washing machine unless it has an agitator.

I've always put my gear in the washing machine, have had no problems.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've used a washing machine for years too and it worked fine.

But we switched to a front loader recently and I noticed it's not getting the stink out as effectively for some reason.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

We always had problems with our front loader just not being able to stay clean. Had to clean/drain it all the time and it still put a stink on clothes. We replaced it with a toploader without an agitator and it runs great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We have the same thing and it works great for my gear. I toss in a bit of oxyclean sport and my stuff is great for probably a month.