Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

DadJokeGenerator posted:

What are people using to store the connecting dungeon tiles? I was thinking a ring binder with some A4 plastic sleeves.

A legal size hanging-file mini-rack thing works pretty good.

I'm not sure on a binder; maybe if you got some variety to the sleeves (ie. some "full page" sleeves, some 2-per-page)? If the pages are all full size and big enough to hold the H tiles, I think the smaller tiles would be awkward to fish out of the bottom (and the binder wouldn't close nicely either being full on one end and mostly empty on the other).

quote:

1) The stands for the monsters (I got the kickstarter version with PC minis) are bad, they look brittle and the hard plastic can ruin the cardboard.

We haven't actually had one break (though I thought they would), and I think they've loosened up over time with use (initially we'd sort of spread them a bit and be careful inserting stuff - they're loose enough now that we just put them on the board and mash things in and it's fine).

jmzero fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Nap Ghost

Mojo Jojo posted:

TI3 is great and that is a crazy length for a game of it

We did use just about every optional rule out there from all three expansions, so we had a large Galaxy, frontier and empty space tokens, Leaders, the assembly and representatives, and so forth. Three of the six players were also new, but I don't think that was the primary problem.

We had also set up the Galaxy a month ahead of time while working out schedules so that wasn't even a part of it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Frush posted:

I'm not really seeing the value in most cases of roadblocks by comparison, since you can still lose by outbreak counter

Pandemic: Legacy May spoilers
Keep in mind, if a city outbreaks but doesn't actually outbreak to any adjacent cities, e.g., if it is completely surrounded by roadblocks, it doesn't increase the counter. The city still gets worse by one state but that's it.

In agreement though, that quarantine seems to generally be better, but roadblocks do potentially have their place.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

DarkHorse posted:

We did use just about every optional rule out there from all three expansions, so we had a large Galaxy, frontier and empty space tokens, Leaders, the assembly and representatives, and so forth. Three of the six players were also new, but I don't think that was the primary problem.

We had also set up the Galaxy a month ahead of time while working out schedules so that wasn't even a part of it.

How many newbies and/or veterans were there? In my experience TI:3 at max play count only works if everyone knows what they're doing. Also, after playing it a few times I am under the strong impression that a TI:3 group needs someone to be referee/head-bee-keeper guy to make sure that you move through the orders and everyone knows who's supposed to be doing what. I swear to god if you cut out the amount of time that nothing was happening and ten minutes goes by before someone says "wait hold on, whose turn is it" you could shave a shitload of time off a playthrough and keep things snappy.

I like TI:3 but a lot of stars have to align for it to be a really enjoyable experiences the entire time.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Cool Mini or Not?

I think Not

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

After playing a bunch of Gloomhaven, I feel like the Spellweaver is one of the most technical classes in the game. It rewards proper deck building, item use, positioning, and element management and it can be very punishing with reckless use of lost cards. It's probably one of the strongest classes at low level when played correctly. I actually spent a couple hours theorycrafting turn sequences in order to come up with an optimal build.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Nap Ghost

FulsomFrank posted:

How many newbies and/or veterans were there? In my experience TI:3 at max play count only works if everyone knows what they're doing. Also, after playing it a few times I am under the strong impression that a TI:3 group needs someone to be referee/head-bee-keeper guy to make sure that you move through the orders and everyone knows who's supposed to be doing what. I swear to god if you cut out the amount of time that nothing was happening and ten minutes goes by before someone says "wait hold on, whose turn is it" you could shave a shitload of time off a playthrough and keep things snappy.

I like TI:3 but a lot of stars have to align for it to be a really enjoyable experiences the entire time.

Three newbies, three vets. I was one of the newbies, but I'd read all the manuals several times and several strategy guides, and had time to plan my overall strategy. There wasn't a ton of downtime, nobody forgot it was their turn and there weren't many rules questions, the game was slow due to other factors.

I think we just had a large, rich Galaxy so everyone had huge fleets, and at least on my half of the map they seemed eager to use them which meant lots of rebuilding and fiddling with little figurines.

My frustration is less with how long it took and more that it was clear my participation was mostly irrelevant halfway through the game. This was partly because of very bad luck for me in the beginning, partly because my neighbor was attacking me for no reason (actively ignoring or sabotaging his own opportunities for VPs), partly because the guy attacking me basically nullified any racial advantages I had with his race/flagship combo.

I'm glad I played, but the experience was awful. There are lots of neat ideas and mechanics in there, but it's not a great game in terms of design. I enjoyed watching one of the other (veteran) players and his excellent strategic positioning for a bubble victory more than I did participating at all.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

DarkHorse posted:

Three newbies, three vets. I was one of the newbies, but I'd read all the manuals several times and several strategy guides, and had time to plan my overall strategy. There wasn't a ton of downtime, nobody forgot it was their turn and there weren't many rules questions, the game was slow due to other factors.

I think we just had a large, rich Galaxy so everyone had huge fleets, and at least on my half of the map they seemed eager to use them which meant lots of rebuilding and fiddling with little figurines.

My frustration is less with how long it took and more that it was clear my participation was mostly irrelevant halfway through the game. This was partly because of very bad luck for me in the beginning, partly because my neighbor was attacking me for no reason (actively ignoring or sabotaging his own opportunities for VPs), partly because the guy attacking me basically nullified any racial advantages I had with his race/flagship combo.

I'm glad I played, but the experience was awful. There are lots of neat ideas and mechanics in there, but it's not a great game in terms of design. I enjoyed watching one of the other (veteran) players and his excellent strategic positioning for a bubble victory more than I did participating at all.

I hear ya. A friend of mine played for his first time yesterday and was with a bunch of newbies. He got stuck with a opponent positioned next to his (the opponent's) girlfriend and they both immediately demilitarised their borders and used the surplus troops from the one safe border to just completely throw attack waves at him all the while my friend's other neighbour was playing normally and still threatening. I understand that this could happen in a regular game, but I've never heard of someone leaving territories totally undefended due to complete trust that the person they're sleeping with won't backstab.

Anyway, he had an okay time but because it was only a 5p game it didn't drag and they had a good referee. That said, a player that was left lone and unmolested ended up winning.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
We're in July in our Pandemic game. Our diseases are Dengus Fever since we like Steve Brule and Weebing Cough since the red disease is mostly Asia.

How does one acquire Gloomhaven? I think I narrowly missed a kickstarter?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

KingKapalone posted:

We're in July in our Pandemic game. Our diseases are Dengus Fever since we like Steve Brule and Weebing Cough since the red disease is mostly Asia.

How does one acquire Gloomhaven? I think I narrowly missed a kickstarter?

edit: I'M WRONG SEE vvvvvvv

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 8, 2017

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It says at the top of the kickstarter page:

quote:

If you missed the Kickstarter, don't worry! The game will be widely available in retail this August/September, so you can pick it up there!

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Forgot how fast this thread moves!

Mikey Purp posted:

Hold on, if you're in the fifth month how can you have a total of 7 viral debuffs? Did you guys eradicate 2 in one game? Cuz if so that's pretty impressive

Actually, we've eradicated 2 diseases in about three of the games, and at least one in most. We've been very lucky and are half decent at this, plus once you start debuffing them its easier. I've also been insistent that we use at least one disease debuff every win since 'you never know if we'll get the chance again'. Playing with the medic helps, since once it's cured you can literally just walk through an area clearing it all out. We did make the mistake where we put one of the higher levels on, but immediately corrected it upon review, so that hasn't been a factor for us. We've been pretty careful with the rules and researching anything that isn't clear.

Spoilers for April (?) Heck, its an objective to eradicate one after a certain point, so you're supposed to be able to do so with regularity I think. If I didn't think the positive mutations were good before, they're almost essential after that.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Pandemic: Legacy May spoilers
Keep in mind, if a city outbreaks but doesn't actually outbreak to any adjacent cities, e.g., if it is completely surrounded by roadblocks, it doesn't increase the counter. The city still gets worse by one state but that's it.

In agreement though, that quarantine seems to generally be better, but roadblocks do potentially have their place.

I think it does increase the counter as well as panic, just only by one since the city does outbreak. I think roadblocks also last the rest of the round, do they not? So I guess they're more useful if everything has already gone to hell and you've written off a city. We don't have any cities above panic level 2 yet, so we're trying to keep that down.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Gloomhaven seems like a game my friends and I would like. We like co-op, Pandemic Legacy, Kingdom Death Monster, and D&D.

How often do people play board games? We get one night a week in usually which means we're just playing Pandemic Legacy right now. It seems like if we got Gloomhaven that we'd just play that for the next year at once a week.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

KingKapalone posted:

Gloomhaven seems like a game my friends and I would like. We like co-op, Pandemic Legacy, Kingdom Death Monster, and D&D.

How often do people play board games? We get one night a week in usually which means we're just playing Pandemic Legacy right now. It seems like if we got Gloomhaven that we'd just play that for the next year at once a week.

A lot of groups meet up weekly, but it's easy to find multiple groups if you're in a larger city.

E: Not to mention weekly/monthly boardgame nights at game stores and elsewhere.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Frush posted:

PANDEMIC SPOILERS
I think it does increase the counter as well as panic, just only by one since the city does outbreak. I think roadblocks also last the rest of the round, do they not? So I guess they're more useful if everything has already gone to hell and you've written off a city. We don't have any cities above panic level 2 yet, so we're trying to keep that down.

This is incorrect. If a city is completely roadblocked off it does not not increase the Outbreak level. The city itself will move up a panic level, but it does not affect the Outbreak counter.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Pandemic Legacy Spoilers
This is incorrect. If a city is completely roadblocked off it does not not increase the Outbreak level. The city itself will move up a panic level, but it does not affect the Outbreak counter.

Oh, that actually makes things a lot easier then. I'll keep that in mind as we move into June.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I got Wednesdays for GH and Sundays for everything else. Occasionally meeting people at the games shop on Thursdays. Works out great for me :D .

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mojo Jojo posted:

TI3 is great and that is a crazy length for a game of it

No, that's about right.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

KingKapalone posted:

Mostly every wednesday I go to a group for about 3 hours, then probably an average of one or two more in-person sessions a month. I used to play a lot of board games online but my circles have mostly dried up for that over the last year or so.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

GH sounds like it should be a good fit, and that sounds like a good plan; you won't burn out of GH playing once a week. It should only take 6 months or so to finish the "main quest lines" if that's what you aim for, but there'll be plenty more content left if you want to keep going.

No reason not to play other games too. Have one GH mission set up ready to go, play that for 1.5-2 hours, then squeeze in something else. Heaven knows I love the game, but still better to mix stuff up a bit.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My Pandemic Legacy group was wholly unoriginal so our "best" disease name was blue's Eiffel 65 Syndrome.
We finished the campaign earlier this year so I'm always trying to measure up how we did to others. We never really got good at Pandemic before we played, so our experience as things escalated was more like being passengers on a plane, fumbling at the controls desperately trying to avoid a crash; As compared to say, any other experienced group, where the passengers are amateur pilots already.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

SettingSun posted:

My Pandemic Legacy group was wholly unoriginal so our "best" disease name was blue's Eiffel 65 Syndrome.
We finished the campaign earlier this year so I'm always trying to measure up how we did to others. We never really got good at Pandemic before we played, so our experience as things escalated was more like being passengers on a plane, fumbling at the controls desperately trying to avoid a crash; As compared to say, any other experienced group, where the passengers are amateur pilots already.

End game 'spoiler' My group had I believe 281 points. I've played a good bit of Pandemic, while my two partners hate base Pandemic, but played through Legacy before starting this with me. A few rules misses in regards to upgrades may have assisted early months, but we made up for it in later months..

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I would like to take a moment to thank all of you that have properly marked your Pandemic Legacy spoilers, especially those that included the month. It makes it that much easier for thread denizens to not stumble over something. You may enjoy bringing it to the Pandemic Legacy Spoiler Quarantine Thread though that thread is not super active anymore. But you could change that.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Fat Samurai posted:

Could you elaborate, please?

I've been reading the rules and the "no shuffle" thing makes it look like instead of your deck being progressively better in an homogeneous manner, you're going through a series of slightly less crappy hands until you reach the good stuff at the bottom of your deck. They try to inject some strategy by allowing you to alter the order in which you discard cards, letting you go through the discard and letting you keep some cards in hand, but then forbid looking through your deck, so good luck remembering the order of 30 cards.

Also, at least one of the nemesis has a mechanic where you shuffle your discard into your deck, so gently caress one of the selling points of the game, I guess?

It's a pity, because a friend just got it, which means I'll have to play it at least a couple of times.
I quite like it, it feels a lot like dominion obviously. I have no idea what he's talking about with the 'double the provinces' thing, unless you've massively hosed up your deck should be steadily improving, and the no-shuffle mechanic means your engine kicks off as soon as you buy the parts for it.

I'm interested in hearing him elaborate as well because when someone's experience is so diametrically opposed from mine I usually assume one of us missed something fundamental.

DadJokeGenerator
Feb 15, 2015

Deathlove posted:

I ended up using https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/143354/first-game-setup-guide to get through the first game to great use.

If something like this was in the box we would have had no problems. We screwed up and used the entire road and city event decks, not just the first 30. Each of us read the rules and watched the tutorial videos several times, people are bound to miss stuff.

jmzero posted:

A legal size hanging-file mini-rack thing works pretty good.

I'm not sure on a binder; maybe if you got some variety to the sleeves (ie. some "full page" sleeves, some 2-per-page)? If the pages are all full size and big enough to hold the H tiles, I think the smaller tiles would be awkward to fish out of the bottom (and the binder wouldn't close nicely either being full on one end and mostly empty on the other).

That's a good idea. I'm ok with just keeping it all out of the box since we'll be playing long sessions once every 2-3 weeks (I'm totally jelly of people here who get to game several times a week, you lucky bastards)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Frush posted:

Oh yeah, and we had another Pandemic: Legacy day today! Reminder to use spoiler tags as appropriate since we have people who haven't played, please!

So far we've played to the end of May. We've only lost once at the start of May, and so we've basically had nothing in the way of funding for a while now. I think that's pretty good. It's definitely been getting harder. One little mistake where we got ahead of ourselves and got a bad draw (literally the only one that could screw us) and we all took a scar as a result.

For most of our wins we managed to eradicate at least one of the diseases, so we've got all four debuffs on yellow and three on blue. Definitely helpful, but we don't have much in the way of research stations, so I think we may have to work on infrastructure.

Those faded are really rough! Really neat little minis though. We've managed to keep them mostly contained, but I can see things getting a lot worse before they get better. Aggressive quarantine has been our best strategy so far, and I'm not really seeing the value in most cases of roadblocks by comparison, since you can still lose by outbreak counter. Has anyone found the military stuff particularly useful? We're only playing with three people so our role diversity is a bit lower.

If you're proactive about it, roadblocks can be used to strongly contain the Faded, especially since they can be made permanent. In our game we managed to lock them into the continent where they first spawned (Asia, for us) save for one city, and there's just a permanent wall across the western border and the trans-oceanic routes out.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

malkav11 posted:

If you're proactive about it, roadblocks can be used to strongly contain the Faded, especially since they can be made permanent. In our game we managed to lock them into the continent where they first spawned (Asia, for us) save for one city, and there's just a permanent wall across the western border and the trans-oceanic routes out.

My group as well roadblocked the entire color. We lost a few 1st half of months and burned all our cleanups on containing it. It cost a lot, but we completely broke things for a bit. Just a bit.

:getin: I wish I could erase that game from memory now that I have a new group.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
We lost in April last time, and now smoothly won two in a row with the medic and quarantine specialist to keep disease load low while the researcher and scientist churned out cures. Previously we kinda discarded the medic and went for a more mobile strategy, but his power to clean clusters of disease early on really owns. We made the six required military bases permanent after upgrading blue and red thrice/twice, it's really nice.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
We played the 3rd edition of Fury of Dracula yesterday, and it took FOREVER. This was in big part some analysis paralysis, and general distraction/chatting, but I find the problem with the downtime in the game is how little I as a hunter have to think about during this downtime. Espescially the little combat mini-game took forever, with 3 players just sitting doing nothing. We found this to be a great "feel free to check your phone time", but it really did hurt the flow of the game.

I hope we will have the rythm down better next time, espescially letting the combat go quickly, but this was not a good first impression. Neat stuff, and nice theme, sure. But just way too long for what it is.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I played my first game of Food Chain Magnate and lost with $65 to my friends' $350-$400 scores. I can't wait to play again.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Magnetic North posted:

I would like to take a moment to thank all of you that have properly marked your Pandemic Legacy spoilers, especially those that included the month. It makes it that much easier for thread denizens to not stumble over something. You may enjoy bringing it to the Pandemic Legacy Spoiler Quarantine Thread though that thread is not super active anymore. But you could change that.

I really agree with this and hope people can move the Pandemic Legacy stuff to the other thread. Then I saw more posts after this one.

I know it's not a new game but it is one of the highest rated games, which a lot of people including myself haven't played yet, and keeping spoilers away is a pretty decent thing to do for those of us who are yet to play it. It's always a worry having to navigate through the spoilered posts hoping not to click it by mistake.

Do you mind taking it to the thread made for that kind of chat? Just to help out the few of us who don't want to risk the surprises spoilt?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I've been having a hard time getting a copy of feast for odin in Canada, and great board games just got a bunch in stock if anyone's interested!

http://www.greatboardgames.ca/a-feast-for-odin.html

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Now if they'll only get my pre-order of High Frontier :mad:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aston posted:

I played my first game of Food Chain Magnate and lost with $65 to my friends' $350-$400 scores. I can't wait to play again.

FCM has that characteristic (possessed by many great board games) in which a loss can make you feel as if you somehow let the game down, and so to avoid being a disappointment you'll get better at the game, for the game's sake.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

CommonShore posted:

FCM has that characteristic (possessed by many great board games) in which a loss can make you feel as if you somehow let the game down, and so to avoid being a disappointment you'll get better at the game, for the game's sake.

I'm sure my games snicker at me as I go past them sometimes..."heh there he goes loooooooooooossseeerrrrrr"

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

My Dark Souls is finially coming, should be here Friday. Northwest America. I cant wait to house rule it to good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Please tell us about your experiences.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
My Dark Souls showed up today, just in time for me to leave town for the week for work. Hopefully I'll get a game or two in next week and have some first impressions to share.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Could someone kindly break down the differences between codex and millennium blades? I'm having trouble wrapping my heads around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Codex is a game where players build a deck by choosing 3 smaller building block decks prior to the game, then choose what cards to put in their actual in-game deck every turn in a magic or hearthstone-esque game. It plays a lot like the best parts of a magic the gathering game, but has a a very different metagame than magic the gathering, as there are only so many options for building a deck.

Millenium blades is a game where you buy and sell cards with in-game currency to assemble a tableau of cards that you activate in order to score points. It plays a lot like the metagame of magic the gathering, but nothing like how magic actually plays.