Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Your Computer posted:

Smough = Aldrich is a perfect example of what I was talking about with everything having to be DS1 related/literally from DS1.

We know that Smough ate people.

We know that Aldrich ate people.

Pure and conclusive evidencebased on this single fact and despite nothing else matching and direct inconsistencies :eng101:

Godeater Smough would have been such a better Lord of Cinder than Aldrich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lore talk: Everybody is a giant crab, and the giant crab is everyone

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
People saying anor londor over and over really triggers me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
anal lampoon

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hanales posted:

I would say what's causing me the same issue but at this point I think everyone already knows :negative:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

God drat I hate the spear fight. They gave everything they needed to make sure everyone just runs in circles forever.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Vermain posted:

I think that's the intended route, yeah. Barring that, just put on a bunch of item find gear, kill all the Charred Loyce Knights with your un-Charred buddies, and then use the Feather to return to the bonfire after the Ivory King proper appears.

Or ask someone who knows what's up to drop them because that grind is inexcusable. :v:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RBA Starblade posted:

God drat I hate the spear fight. They gave everything they needed to make sure everyone just runs in circles forever.

I had one host the other day who just walked in circles around a post. After like two rotations I wised up and started blasting him with spells the second he came back around instead of when he started going. He'd then rotate the other direction. Every hit he'd chug one of his estus behind the post and keep on going. I ended with full health because he couldn't even kill the painting guardian. Any time he tried I'd hit him and he'd go cower behind a post again. Eventually he ran out of estus, I ran out of FP and just smashed him over the head with my sword until he died.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nuebot posted:

I had one host the other day who just walked in circles around a post. After like two rotations I wised up and started blasting him with spells the second he came back around instead of when he started going. He'd then rotate the other direction. Every hit he'd chug one of his estus behind the post and keep on going. I ended with full health because he couldn't even kill the painting guardian. Any time he tried I'd hit him and he'd go cower behind a post again. Eventually he ran out of estus, I ran out of FP and just smashed him over the head with my sword until he died.

The thing that gets me is that it sucks on both ends. It sucks to fight because you just get a spear that rolls forever and it sucks to invade because everyone just cowers. I liked the mirror squire fight more honestly. I got summoned more too. :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hanales posted:

I had to read this post like 5 times before realizing what the issue was

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

The thing that gets me is that it sucks on both ends. It sucks to fight because you just get a spear that rolls forever and it sucks to invade because everyone just cowers. I liked the mirror squire fight more honestly. I got summoned more too. :v:

The thing is, spears can't heal. A spear that just rolls and plays defensively sucks because they're not really going to win. You can just whittle that poo poo down, even if they're packing heal spells they only have like what, seven estus max? An aggressive spear will win more just by virtue of making the most of their slightly higher stats and being able to wreck dudes before they realize what's up. I love spawning in and just nuking all the host's phantoms because my spells do 800-1000 damage a hit and that usually sends the host into a great panic spiral of them on the defense.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nuebot posted:

The thing is, spears can't heal. A spear that just rolls and plays defensively sucks because they're not really going to win. You can just whittle that poo poo down, even if they're packing heal spells they only have like what, seven estus max? An aggressive spear will win more just by virtue of making the most of their slightly higher stats and being able to wreck dudes before they realize what's up. I love spawning in and just nuking all the host's phantoms because my spells do 800-1000 damage a hit and that usually sends the host into a great panic spiral of them on the defense.

A defensive one just needs to poke when they go for the guardian and they're set, though. And the poise on it means that you're going to beat the poo poo out of the host before the guardian even starts to flinch. I've had one fight where the spear didn't do this. It's the one I won. :v:

At least I got my ult the paired UGS again, so I can just come back when I want to. Also it's the first time I've seen Halflight, so that's neat too. I kind of prefer it with him instead of a player.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 9, 2017

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
That's why I love poisoning spears during that fight. Most people don't run with mosses readily available.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How to make the spear fight better:

As the loading screen fades, you see a circular platform in front of you. It's Final Destination. On the other side stands your opponent. You recognise him immediately as Fox McCloud. You realise your own character is also Fox McCloud. Your estus is greyed out, no items are allowed.

You wait for the painting guardian but they never show up. This is 1v1.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CJacobs posted:

edit: Although sources in future games indicate Gwynevere was pretty vain so maybe she's not actually like the illusion-Gwynevere was in DS1.

What are these sources? I don't know DS2/3 lore as well as I do DS1.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

A defensive one just needs to poke when they go for the guardian and they're set, though. And the poise on it means that you're going to beat the poo poo out of the host before the guardian even starts to flinch. I've had one fight where the spear didn't do this. It's the one I won. :v:

At least I got my ult the paired UGS again, so I can just come back when I want to. Also it's the first time I've seen Halflight, so that's neat too. I kind of prefer it with him instead of a player.

The painting guardians don't have any poise.

Assuming equal skill, the fight is hilariously lopsided in the hosts favor because of estus. The fight is only difficult if the painting guardian's decide to actually be smart but most of the time their AI causes them to be worthless. Even when you go out of your way to try and work with the painting guardian they like to do stupid crap like ring their chimes right in front of the enemy.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 9, 2017

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Your Computer posted:

To me, it's like the "Rosaria is Gwynevere" thing. The lore community simply can't allow something to be its own thing; it has to be connected to (or literally) someone/thing from DS1. :v:

The text really obviously implies a connection between the Queen of Lothric and Gwynevere. What's left ambiguous is whether that's Gwynevere or a descendant of her, really. Look, I get it, the lore community can be pretty bad, but you don't need to get mad at them for things they more or less got right.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The text really obviously implies a connection between the Queen of Lothric and Gwynevere. What's left ambiguous is whether that's Gwynevere or a descendant of her, really. Look, I get it, the lore community can be pretty bad, but you don't need to get mad at them for things they more or less got right.

The only thing really connecting them is the divine blessing. I think some nerds on reddit found out that the Japanese text just says that she was "likened to" a goddess of fertility or something. Not that she literally was one.

As for Gwynevere and Rosaria, Rosaria's soul links them but so does the Dancer's.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Yes, calling the Queen of Lothric "like a goddess of fertility" when they used that wording for Gwynevere in DS1 in the same item's description is done deliberately to draw a connection. I don't see how that's a weird thing to argue at all, to be honest.

There's also more stuff that strengthens the connection, like the relationship with her handmaid and the fact that the game goes out of the way to establish a parallel between the royal family of Lothric and the "royal family" of Anor Londo and the Gods, but if you don't buy that it's a connection in the first place, you'll keep seeing that as grasping as straws.

Now, of course some people are going to be really weird and argue that the Divine Blessing is actually her breast milk or whatever, but I don't see how that's a problem with the primary thesis.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Huh, Gael went down ... surprisingly easy? I got him fourth try, I actually had more grief from like three quarters of the DLC's normal encounters.

Feels kinda ... hollow.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

The painting guardians don't have any poise.

Whatever you want to call it where you whale on him and great heal fires anyway, then.

I guess ultimately I just think DS3 pvp is terrible and the Spear fight encourages the worst part of it for everyone.

e: Oh poo poo the paired UGS needs twinkling not regular shards. Well poo poo I guess using a low level alt for this sort of sucks since I need to get past Irithyll Dungeon!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 9, 2017

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I was at the GA Renaissance Festival this week, walking around in my elf ears, because nerrrrrrrrrrd, and I ran into an old friend:

And he was all "should we praise?" and I was all "hellz yes we should!"

Cooperation most jolly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HaB posted:

So I was at the GA Renaissance Festival this week, walking around in my elf ears, because nerrrrrrrrrrd, and I ran into an old friend:

And he was all "should we praise?" and I was all "hellz yes we should!"

Cooperation most jolly.

You forgot to get on your tippie toes! :v:

(very good!)

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 9, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Nuebot posted:

The only thing really connecting them is the divine blessing. I think some nerds on reddit found out that the Japanese text just says that she was "likened to" a goddess of fertility or something. Not that she literally was one.

As for Gwynevere and Rosaria, Rosaria's soul links them but so does the Dancer's.

Rosaria is probably "old royalty" like the dancer. Nth generation gods is my guess.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Finally beat Nameless King on my NG+2 run thanks to a summon 😭😭😭
Now to farm all the covenant items :allears:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
When you're standing by the Anor Londo bonfire and up the stairs is 12 o' clock, if you look at 9-8 o' clock you can see Lothric Castle, as is natural since the whole point is that you can see Lothric Castle from everywhere because magic space-crunching. But at roughly 7 o' clock (I don't have the game up in front of me so I can't be sure on directions) you see a large building on the edge of a plateau. Is that the Cathedral of the Deep? Or is that Farron Keep.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The building on the plateau is the Cathedral of the Deep. You can see Farron Keep far off to the other side (pointing the camera toward Yorshka's tower).

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Started a new game last night as a Herald because I've never played with a spear, really, and it seemed interesting.

Am I mistaken or are spears kinda lovely? It doesn't seem to do very much damage, although it presumably gives up damage for range. I do like having miracles though and I suspect having Blessed/Sunlight/DMB will probably help me out a bit with the damage output.

I'm also not sure which spear I should be using, I'm just using the basic one because that's what I started with. Is the bident or whatever still bad? I remember people saying it was really stupid on launch, no idea if that's still the case since it's been years. I'm right by Cathedral so I'll probably pick that up some time today.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
There are definitely good spears in the game. Much later on but I know the lothric warbanner is pretty good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thumbtacks posted:

Started a new game last night as a Herald because I've never played with a spear, really, and it seemed interesting.

Am I mistaken or are spears kinda lovely? It doesn't seem to do very much damage, although it presumably gives up damage for range. I do like having miracles though and I suspect having Blessed/Sunlight/DMB will probably help me out a bit with the damage output.

I'm also not sure which spear I should be using, I'm just using the basic one because that's what I started with. Is the bident or whatever still bad? I remember people saying it was really stupid on launch, no idea if that's still the case since it's been years. I'm right by Cathedral so I'll probably pick that up some time today.

The Follower Javelin's really fun for what it is. Whipping a boss in the face to stagger them with it is great.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah Spears have kind of gotten worse each game. There are a few serviceable ones.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
honestly once i get to ashes and i can get my hands on valorheart there's a fair chance i'll just use that for the entire game, it looks so fun

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You can probably go to ashes early and rush that boss real fast

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Probably but I don't have the DLC yet, I still need to buy it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The lothric knight spear is one of the best spears in the game and can be acquired in the first area so make sure you farm for it.

Spears haven't really gotten worse so much as other options have gotten better. Spears have always had limited movepools and lower damage in exchange for the best range. Thing is in DS3, a straight sword has more than enough range for most situations. Straight swords attack faster, can hit multiple enemies, and deal more damage. Its hard for a spear to compare with that in PvE. Their weapon art is also really mediocre.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone wanna drop Warmth on PS4 :stare:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Spears are YOU DIED tier in pvp though because they are so slow that they can be reaction parried

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

The lothric knight spear is one of the best spears in the game and can be acquired in the first area so make sure you farm for it.

Spears haven't really gotten worse so much as other options have gotten better. Spears have always had limited movepools and lower damage in exchange for the best range. Thing is in DS3, a straight sword has more than enough range for most situations. Straight swords attack faster, can hit multiple enemies, and deal more damage. Its hard for a spear to compare with that in PvE. Their weapon art is also really mediocre.

Yeah, I think a big part of it is just that the gameplay has evolved. Spears are great in DS1 because most of the enemy AI is simply "move slowly towards player and hit them" which is easily countered with a spear (especially since things actually stagger in that game).

As for the Lothric Knight Long Spear, is it actually good? I tried playing with it a bit on my latest casual run, but I got my rear end kicked by so many enemies because it's so slow. Perhaps it's because it's technically a Pike and not a Spear, but I swear the attack speed is like 50% of a standard spear (and the damage doesn't seem enough to bridge the gap). Also it increases poise which, well... yeah. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sapozhnik posted:

Spears are YOU DIED tier in pvp though because they are so slow that they can be reaction parried

PvP is actually where spears do better. The longest spears can be used to pretty safely punish large weapons with a fair amount of ending lag from beyond their range. You're right that they can be parried easier than most weapons, but if someone brings out a parrying tool you've probably forced them to deviate from their desired attack plan. Spears can be useful as a compliment to your build to cover the weaknesses of a shorter weapons.

The gargoyle flame spear is still top tier in PvP.

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, I think a big part of it is just that the gameplay has evolved. Spears are great in DS1 because most of the enemy AI is simply "move slowly towards player and hit them" which is easily countered with a spear (especially since things actually stagger in that game).

As for the Lothric Knight Long Spear, is it actually good? I tried playing with it a bit on my latest casual run, but I got my rear end kicked by so many enemies because it's so slow. Perhaps it's because it's technically a Pike and not a Spear, but I swear the attack speed is like 50% of a standard spear (and the damage doesn't seem enough to bridge the gap). Also it increases poise which, well... yeah. :v:

Lothric knight spear has the longest range of all spears. So its actually a good amount longer than most weapons. You have to take advantage of this to do well with it. If you're just gonna get up close to enemies anyways you might as well use a shorter range weapon with a fast attack speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Pikes attack faster two handed