Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

My partner joined so he could read and post about stupid video games, and he eventually bought me an account so I could also read and post about stupid video games.

And yeah that's still pretty much all I do here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
You need to work on your self-esteem.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Then later in HS and into college, I found many interests outside of Nintendo,

I really enjoy this turn of phrase.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I joined for Automotive Insanity, but have found a lot of different places I fit in, like GiP (now Internet VFW) and the Hobbies thread, plus D&D.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dont remember where I found it, but I was linked to the USPS letter carrier goldmine many years ago, I think I was in high school. The front page ain't what it used to be but the forums are still my go to for when I have questions about pretty much anything that has a thread here.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I played on the Party Princess Palace Counter Strike server for about a year, and when I realized everyone came from the same forum, I went to check it out. When I realized it cost 10 dollars, I just started telling people I was a goon, and then later that I was a banned goon. I made a lot of friends on that server, and eventually, people started offering to pay to get me unbanned. The server added an authentication system that could check if the players were goons, so I made an account so people wouldn't catch me lying.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I posted for years on bungie.net, it was awesome because everyone was pretty much a kid who just wanted to talk about Halo and other stupid crap. Then I got older and it wasn't as much fun cause everyone was still a kid and I didn't like Halo as much. I think I googled "comedy forum" and this was the top result. I was already addicted to forums so I needed something and this was perfect. I also recognized the Martin Random story about his insane housemate and knew I made the right choice.

I stayed cause it was funny and there's tons of subforums and dedicated threads for random poo poo. But more importantly I made the GiP dickbook. Turns out goons really enjoy pictures of graffiti dickart. Someone posted a thread here about his time in prison and said he'd love it if we sent his buddy some mail and mentioned a picture of a dick would be acceptable if we didn't want to be a real penpal. Obviously I sent him a dickbook and it sounds like he got some poo poo for it.

I actually went back to bungie.net a while back and found out it had turned into a very similar setup to reddit. And that if you didn't have a linked gamertag that had played their most recent game you couldn't post on the forums anymore. Really disappointed that things had fallen so far there but whatever.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I joined to read peoples thoughts on videogames because I can't stand reddits structure and formatting.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i joined because gamefaqs couldn't handle my dank memes (mostly lueshi) which is still true

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
I came to SA because the goldmine was pretty funny and i was like "oh boy i bet the rest of the site is also good" but no.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
I birthed into these forums cause the cynical humor was hilarious to me. I'm fairly sure there was one particular GBS account that made me finally join, but I can't remember for the life of me what the gently caress it was. SA is a fuckin' blur, man.

I started coming back due to my hatred of reddit. Also I miss Fragmaster and wish he would make more cool Bill Fillmaff DVDs. Frags, if you're reading this bud, Bill Fillmaff needs a comeback more than ever. I fuckin' love you, holmes :love:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I joined because I heard about SA in Loaded magazine, and read the site for a few years. Really funny. I was nervous of the forum back then as it was a screaming edgy wasteland, but I joined anyway as most other forum sites were awful and humourless and full of spam, and lurked for years.

The only other forum I used for any length of time was Futuremark.

I keep coming back as there are some really funny people here, and the occasional brilliant bit of info or insight. It's a very amusing and often hideously wrong place with a.. charm? of its own I haven't seen anywhere else. It's cheered me up when things have been lovely too.

I love this terrible forum, which is the best forum, and will miss it when the servers go down. I hope they never do.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 15, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I knew about SA from... poo poo, I don't know where. I used to read front page - basically everything - at the same time as I read Cracked.

Eventually, I found out about LP Archive and started reading LPs. Somehow I got into Habermann's LPs, I contacted him to gush like a fanboy. We used to chat online a bit and eventually he gave me the gift certificate or whatever for the SA forums, which I used... to read more LPs and create a few of my own!

Now, I rarely have the time (lol) to read the LPs since I'm following the Milhist and Cold War and Christianity threads, as well as several miniature wargaming threads. I also go into lovely dad lit, Clancy-knockoff threads.

I stopped reading Cracked years ago when the "point" of articles become predictable. I never really got into any other forums, though I go to 4chan for the /tg/ board and I shipost qposts on Destructoid.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 15, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

HOW COULD YOU posted:

I came to SA because the goldmine was pretty funny and i was like "oh boy i bet the rest of the site is also good" but no.

I feel you, bro.

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
1) GBS was funny.

2) No.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Empire State posted:

1) GBS was funny.

2) No.
Ditto ... joined for edgy internet humour.

I fell off SA for a while, only keeping up with local goons, but have been coming back lately as the rest of the internet is looking shittier and shittier.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I have no loving idea why I joined SA and yes, I still come here for the same reason.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I joined to read let's plays and trawl ask/tell. Now I mostly just shitpost in GBS and sometimes PYF.

BloodThirster
Jan 8, 2001

SLOSifl posted:

I have no loving idea why I joined SA and yes, I still come here for the same reason.

you and me both brother

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
Let's Plays, and yes

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Around 15 years ago, I used to browse FARK and enjoyed its photoshop threads then I read about this competition they had with some site called Something Awful. I then lurked the forums for years off and on in between getting the blocked out message. I finally gave in and joined during Elentor's FFVII LP as I was tired of getting locked out. I still browse the LPs but if it wasn't for the iPhone Awful app I probably wouldn't bother.

TL;DR

The Big Whoop posted:

Let's Plays, and yes

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Photoshop Friday had lot to do with it, and overall there was a lot of humor back then.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

wormil posted:

Photoshop Friday had lot to do with it, and overall there was a lot of humor back then.

The celebrity photoshop thread that turned into "Photoshop Gary Busey" finally pulled me in.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.
I joined SA to read the B^U threads.

Now I come to read Orkin Mang's posts.

B. Birdsworth fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 27, 2017

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I discovered the ICQ pranks and became a fan of SA for Photoshop Phriday and other funny content. I thoroughly enjoyed the mocking of anything else on the net that was dumb and/or took itself too seriously. I lurked the forums for years until the paywall went up and I decided I liked the content enough to pay to join. Specifically AI and the gadget/DIY forums. Then I got addicted to GBS and ask/tell and now I just use these forums as a general "stay current" depository. I love watching trolls get dealt with here because they flood so many other forums and can turn/ruin a user experience almost overnight when allowed to roam. Also just the standards of content and grammar is almost completely unique here.

I think what really sets SA apart is judgment and how it plays in to the moderation. The unwritten rules that you either understand or you don't. Any rule is pretty much breakable at any time as long as it's funny or justified in some way. Like if someone is a particularly good storyteller in ask/tell then they can get away with being a lovely typist. And there are really no limits to content as long as it's funny. i.e. tribute.avi. But miss the mark and you're slapped down hard. I like that.

I went through some Fashion SWAT with my daughter last night and we were laughing so hard we couldn't breathe. I guess I'm raising her right.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
I came for the quarterly ghost story threads, and the related 'true weird things that happened to you', 'unexplained mysteries' threads etc. They were great, admittedly a lot of the same stories were posted in each one.

Then GBS was blown up and they disappeared under a wave of shitposting, a great pity. I'm only really here for the occasional political argument in DnD now.

xdirtypinkox
Aug 12, 2004

And it gets easier as I pass the Edward Scissorhands village where privileged white kids date rape girls and taunt me in their SUV's.
I first joined for the :filez: but I stayed for the thoughtful perspectives and heartwarming stories.

who's your crawdaddy
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I clicked on the sidebar link to here from fark originally. The Jeffk L33t h4x0r posts really made me laugh back in the day. I remember crying laughing when the p-p-p-powerbook saga went down.

I've recently started coming back here after getting bored with reddit. I mostly lurk the movie and cooking forums now. Maybe I should buy myself an avatar. It's only been 13 years!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

Joined because of the Cliff Yablonski, stayed because I am too used these type of forums to ever go anywhere else

Same, along with dpph/nmp3's

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

got any sevens posted:

Same, along with dpph/nmp3's

I feel like there was a period of time when even mentioning those two things was a big no-no. Or was it just asking about them?

Somebody give me a history lesson. Even though I should know it already by virtue of having somewhat been here.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
What are other internet forum communities besides Reddit and SA? I've seen some specific site stuff but the forums are v small and usually just focused on 1 subject.

For all its flaws SA is the best forum I've ever experienced.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

What are other internet forum communities besides Reddit and SA? I've seen some specific site stuff but the forums are v small and usually just focused on 1 subject.

4chan, assorted gaming forums, political forums, religious forums, fetish forums. Really almost anything potentially has a forum based around it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
MetaFilter is still a huge community. Quora and Stack Exchange could count too although they're both Q&A format based.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

NeoGAF is pretty huge (and terrible)

Sigsen
Apr 20, 2017
Someone I know was talking about SA recently and I remembered wanting to join about ten years ago, so I figured I'd join. Stories about the Goonswarm in EVE Online helped too, admittedly.
The content is great though, good enough of a reason to keep lurking.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bardeh posted:

NeoGAF is pretty huge (and terrible)

ive heard a lot of people hating on neogaf but ive never been there so im curious what specifically is wrong with it?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Came for the thread about a goon who set fire to a beehive he found growing on a playground set in his backyard. Registered a year later.

Stayed for GBS/E/N (even though they kinda suck now after Abe unleashed FYAD/BYOB on the rest of the forums), D&D, the Chapo Thread and Punchsport Pagoda.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
I joined under a few different names over the years, starting about ...2004/5/6 something, I don't recall the exact year. I joined because some kid in my graphics class would sit next to me and go on about this amazing comedy forum called something awful every goddamned day. I decided to check it out and was pretty much hooked immediately.

I stay for the wise assery of the goons.

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax
Came for funny pictures, stayed for funny pictures -and- in depth analysis of world issues.

I mean, wth when I have to come to comedy forum to explain properly what I see on the news.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I just wanted to bbe a moderator, and now I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I played AstroEmpires and goons were in the same starting galaxy as me and were pretty cool, so I joined. I think they thought I was already a goon.

I don't play that stupid game anymore. It was a browser game, but combat was pretty bad when you had too many players in the same area at the same time. I led a big battle and the servers got so bogged down that "combat" became sitting there for 5 minutes trying to load a page. Everyone lost all their spaceships and that was enough for me and lovely browser games.

Slowpoke! fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 17, 2017

• Locked thread