Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh the Saul Goodman name in the promo :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"My "medical condition" is actually a mental illness and I'm incapable of accepting that and my brother is retroactively shown to have been willing to go to absurd lengths to make me feel like I'm in full control of my faculties which almost definitely includes a supposed confession" is what we call "not good."

Yep, I forgot about the past actions Jimmy took to play into his brother's delusion. That worked perfectly.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
That was a loving amazing hour of tv

Spinnaker
Jun 25, 2004

Did anyone else see a lot of parallels between Chuck's setup and meltdown in the hearing and Jack Nicholson's demise at the end of A Few Good Men?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
They did sneak in something I wasn't expecting, with Jimmy admitted Huell planted the battery and saying he'd call him as a witness, definitely didn't expect that.

Man I hope we get a nice 5 seasons of BCS just like we did with Breaking Bad, and that things go how I expect coming up because drat that'd be some nice symmetry.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Planting the battery right on him is that special Jimmy touch too. If he'd just held on to his cell phone the whole time and been near Chuck without him acknowledging it the panel would hate him for it and it wouldn't quite prove that Chuck's condition is bullshit. Having it right in his drat breast pocket for almost two hours really sells it, and just like Chuck knows Jimmy Jimmy knows Chuck, so he knows that pulling a Slippin' Jimmy type con on him, on top of bringing Rebecca in, will send him over the deep end.

Best episode of the season for me, and it's gonna be hard to top. The only way it could be better is if there was a way to naturally fit in some wild Mike plan too, but there was a lot to fit in as is.

It's also worth noting that every time Kim interacts with Mesa Verde and they respond with "oh yeah no that Chuck's an rear end in a top hat and you're a great lawyer" it kills her a little more each time. I don't think she'll be able to stick with them long term, at some point the stress has got to be too much for her, but I do think there will be some other outside factor that makes that business relationship dissolve, rather than her just getting fed up with it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I can't get over him putting the battery in the phone to prove that it was charged. We were all dumb idiots who thought this show would just have a phone be in Chuck's pocket.
It's so loving good.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Spinnaker posted:

Did anyone else see a lot of parallels between Chuck's setup and meltdown in the hearing and Jack Nicholson's demise at the end of A Few Good Men?

My dad kept saying that this entire sequence was out of The Caine Mutiny

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Chuck: This is about PR.

Hamlin: This is going to be very bad for our image.

Chuck: Did I say PR? I meant Justice.

Chuck wasn't expressing his own opinion that it was about PR, he was letting Hamlin know that he knew that's what Hamlin was concerned about.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Nice to see hubris come up in a big way too, Walt's hubris was like a constant threat in Breaking Bad undermining him at every turn, and here Chuck's hubris ruins him because if he just hadn't bothered to show up at the hearing Jimmy was completely screwed since he wouldn't be able to put Chuck's mental condition under question and lay the case for his statement on the tape being a lie meant to console him.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's insane, this guy's chicaint.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

'Bout time we got some Huell! Though he hasn't totally let himself go yet.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
how the gently caress is tv so good

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

NowonSA posted:

Nice to see hubris come up in a big way too, Walt's hubris was like a constant threat in Breaking Bad undermining him at every turn, and here Chuck's hubris ruins him because if he just hadn't bothered to show up at the hearing Jimmy was completely screwed since he wouldn't be able to put Chuck's mental condition under question and lay the case for his statement on the tape being a lie meant to console him.
That was my favorite thing....to sink Jimmy he didn't have to do anything else, but he just HAD to be the person to tell his story on the stand and watch as Jimmy's career dissolved before his eyes. It's too perfect.

also it makes more sense that it was the phone battery since you would more than likely feel the weight of the phone in your pocket.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

Chuck wasn't expressing his own opinion that it was about PR, he was letting Hamlin know that he knew that's what Hamlin was concerned about.

Yeah I went back and watched that scene again, I misread that line the first time. In light of that though, what do we think Hamlin's opinion of Chuck is right now? Because he clearly had doubts earlier in this season, what with trying to get Chuck to scale back his 24 hour surveillance of the place and having to scale garden fences just to visit the guy. I don't know if he's quite at the point where he's apologizing to Jimmy, or even believes Jimmy's side of the story. But I feel like this might be the tipping point to say "no employee, regardless of skill level, is worth this amount of effort to retain." Chuck walked face first into the rake that Hamlin explicitly pointed out to him before the hearing. Even if this is someone that you have to make some sort of effort to keep, at this point it has to be something like "get psychiatric help on the company's dime, or you're done here."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Yeah I went back and watched that scene again, I misread that line the first time. In light of that though, what do we think Hamlin's opinion of Chuck is right now? Because he clearly had doubts earlier in this season, what with trying to get Chuck to scale back his 24 hour surveillance of the place and having to scale garden fences just to visit the guy. I don't know if he's quite at the point where he's apologizing to Jimmy, or even believes Jimmy's side of the story. But I feel like this might be the tipping point to say "no employee, regardless of skill level, is worth this amount of effort to retain." Chuck walked face first into the rake that Hamlin explicitly pointed out to him before the hearing. Even if this is someone that you have to make some sort of effort to keep, at this point it has to be something like "get psychiatric help on the company's dime, or you're done here."
Chuck is a senior partner so it would take a lot for him to lose his position. However, between this meltdown and his meltdown at the Mesa Verde hearing it's not looking good.

It's pretty insane the amount of leeway that Howard has given Chuck so far. I do think that's probably going to change since now this is going to negatively affect the firm.

I think the theories that Jimmy changes his name because of Chuck's illness are becoming more likely by the minute.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

It's interesting that, in order to show Chuck's mentally unstable, Jimmy also demonstrates that he's totally capable of the Mesa Verde 'chicanery' with that battery scheme.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Stato-Masochist posted:

It's interesting that, in order to show Chuck's mentally unstable, Jimmy also demonstrates that he's totally capable of the Mesa Verde 'chicanery' with that battery scheme.
I think you'll find that that was no mere chicanery, but rather theater. :smug:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

They should have played next weeks right after or something because right now it feels like I've been jerked off without a finish

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Oh God I can't wait to see Howard turn on Chuck.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think the theories that Jimmy changes his name because of Chuck's illness are becoming more likely by the minute.

I personally don't see how that's likely. I'm not seeing how Chuck's illness could do damage to the McGill name in any way that would affect Jimmy's ability to attract clients from among the general public. The most that seems liable to happen is that a bunch of people within the legal community hear about all the drama and gossip about it amongst themselves. The sort of high-profile clients HHM caters to might avoid the firm if Chuck damages its reputation, but Jimmy's clients--be they elderly citizens or the sort of low-life criminals he later comes to serve--neither know nor care about those kinds of things.

I'm also betting there's more to the story than the "homeboys want a pipe-hitting member of the tribe" line he gives to Walt in BB, but I'm just not sure what it's going to be yet.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

drunken officeparty posted:

They should have played next weeks right after or something because right now it feels like I've been jerked off without a finish
Man I don't know what more of a moneyshot you could want then Chuck ranting and raving about childhood grievances and poo poo nobody knows about with no context as the camera frames him like General Ripper before we get reaction shots from literally everyone he cares about and then a slow zoom out making him look like the world's tiniest man, powerless before an exit sign.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm betting Jimmy still ends up with a suspension at least.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Best ep of the season so far

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Man I don't know what more of a moneyshot you could want then Chuck ranting and raving about childhood grievances and poo poo nobody knows about with no context as the camera frames him like General Ripper before we get reaction shots from literally everyone he cares about and then a slow zoom out making him look like the world's tiniest man, powerless before an exit sign.

Seriously, this. I for one am well into enjoying the afterglow of some serious narrative satisfaction, and I don't think I'm alone in this sentiment

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Is Chuck blurting out "He defecated through a sunroof!" a breach of attorney/client privilege?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That was amazing. We were waiting a long time for a prolonged court scene and this delivered in spades.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Chuck's meltdown gave me serious Caine Mutiny vibes.

Which is incidentally a movie Mike is seen watching in Breaking Bad.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Best episode of the series so far.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

I just went back to check, Chuck messed up the bank branch address during his meltdown.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i fuckin love this show!!!!

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
You know it's a good show when even when the bad guys plan comes crashing down on him, you can't help but take pity. They built up just enough of the background and then brought almost every part of it back here in Chuck's rant that it's really not hard to see from his why he doesn't want Jim doin' law. He's been a dick about it, but it's understandable.

It's also kinda sad because I mean, who else does he have in his life at this point?

I don't think he's surviving through to the season's end.

clown shoes posted:

I just went back to check, Chuck messed up the bank branch address during his meltdown.

:wow:

EatinCake fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 9, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

EatinCake posted:

You know it's a good show when even when the bad guys plan comes crashing down on him, you can't help but take pity. They built up just enough of the background and then brought almost every part of it back here in Chuck's rant that it's really not hard to see from his why he doesn't want Jim doin' law. He's been a dick about it, but it's understandable.

It's also kinda sad because I mean, who else does he have in his life at this point?

I don't think he's surviving through to the season's end.

:wow:

A high-risk high-reward client like Walt can be warranted by financial pressures. What kind of long-term care facility can accommodate a man who believes he's allergic to electricity?

An expensive one?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
You know what touch I liked, when Hamlin was on the witness stand talking about how Jimmy was not hired due to fear of nepotism, and Kim asking who the other Hamlin was. I swear I saw a smirk out of the side of Howard's mouth, like a "well played".

Michael McKean knocked it out of the park in that last bit.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

clown shoes posted:

Yup that was great.

This episode was beautiful. By halfway through we had all of the pieces set up, but seeing it go down in the final moments was just glorious.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I think Jimmy bringing in Rebecca was akin to this:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

clown shoes posted:

Are you sure? He's saying "It was 1216", as in that's the number that was on the documents he used to draw up the case, since Jimmy put that number there. He knew that was the number on the documents he was using (before Jimmy switched them back) because it's one year after the Magna Carta was signed. It's the same thing he said at the time, and he was right.

Incidentally, am I really the only person who feels bad for Chuck on any level? The man is mentally ill, and regardless of that not entirely in the wrong. Jimmy really has gotten away with a lot of stuff throughout his life that he shouldn't have gotten away with, all because he's quick-witted and likable. Of course what Chuck did to deny Kim the Mesa Verde case was a dick move, but that doesn't mean Jimmy should have done what he did. Like, if all this was playing out in real life, and your friend told you he feloniously altered legal documents in order to humiliate his mentally ill brother and win back a client for his lawyer girlfriend because she deserved it more, you would be like, "Right on, bro, that was exactly the right move"? I think I would tell him to take a step back, accept that his brother's a dick, realize that two wrongs don't make a right, and be the better man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Wouldn't a battery not in anything not affect Chuck? It isn't actually doing anything electrical or creating a field. Like the wires in walls don't bother him if nothing is actively drawing power through them. He only winced at Mikes drill when he pulled the trigger.

Also there are no Stop and Shops even close to New Mexico.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 9, 2017

• Locked thread