Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Harrow posted:

Oh, for sure. All of Joker's lines give him a lot of character and it's great.

Xander Mobus does a good job as Joker, too. He (and/or the voice director) just didn't go for as much distinction between Joker the Phantom Thief and <insert name here> the high school student.

I also love the rest of the English voices enough that I'm not gonna switch in NG+ even for deep-voiced badass Joker. I don't want to play through knowing I'm not going to hear "Bona fide Monafied!", y'know?

Does Joker even have any voice acted lines where he's in his high school student (heh) persona?

For the most part I think Xander just went in a different direction altogether from his JP counterpart. Less bombast, more manic glee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Does Joker even have any voice acted lines where he's in his high school student (heh) persona?
"Let's do it."
"I should write something."

If there are other lines those two have driven them out of my memory.

edit: "Pervy... teacher?"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

For the most part I think Xander just went in a different direction altogether from his JP counterpart. Less bombast, more manic glee.

A couple, but I mostly mean the little incidental lines, like when he pulls out his journal. He a line or two in a few of the animated scenes, too.

I do get that manic glee sometimes, you're right. It's less in the Persona name call-outs but definitely in "RAVAGE THEM"

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"Such rudeness" is my second-favorite voice line behind "Ooh, we can do this!"

SOYOUWISHT-CHOOSEYOURPER-ISTHISTHEONEYOUW-ITSHALLBE-SUCHRUDENESS

Sorry girls but i'm in a hurry here

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I really hope they give the mc a name and voice acting going forward in the series. When you have dozens of hours of vo and everyone is just referring to you as "this guy" and you only yell out the names of stuff like you're a goddamn pokemon it really detracts from the experience. Also, every one of these games going forward is gonna have game/anime spinoffs and a canon name for the character so what's the point?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Meme Emulator posted:

Lavenza is around for like 15 minutes. I dont know what everyone here is expecting

She shows a tiny spark of personality but it's not nearly enough, she's just kind of a Dues Ex Velvet Room with none of the charm her parts have. Plus her VAing, for whatever reason, just doesn't work, which is weird because Justine (who isn't that off in tone) had a stellar VAing.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

For what little screentime she had, I thought Lavenza was fine. She's nowhere near as fleshed out as Caroline and Justine, sure, but those two actually had a social link and you had the whole game to bond with them, so it's probably a bit unfair to compare all of that with the 15 minutes of fame Lavenza gets.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

For what little screentime she had, I thought Lavenza was fine. She's nowhere near as fleshed out as Caroline and Justine, sure, but those two actually had a social link and you had the whole game to bond with them, so it's probably a bit unfair to compare all of that with the 15 minutes of fame Lavenza gets.

The best part is where she loses her temper with Ryuji almost instantaneously.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

SOYOUWISHT-CHOOSEYOURPER-ISTHISTHEONEYOUW-ITSHALLBE-SUCHRUDENESS

Sorry girls but i'm in a hurry here

Don't get cocky, in-mate!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Firebert posted:

I really hope they give the mc a name and voice acting going forward in the series. When you have dozens of hours of vo and everyone is just referring to you as "this guy" and you only yell out the names of stuff like you're a goddamn pokemon it really detracts from the experience. Also, every one of these games going forward is gonna have game/anime spinoffs and a canon name for the character so what's the point?

As a comment on the writing in general, I wish Joker was actually more engaged in the plot and in conversations. They really committed to this semi-silent thing where his lines aren't voiced and are usually sort of abstracted, and the lines you get to choose from are always very short and to the point, so he has next to no presence in conversations and doesn't hold up his own half of friendships and relationships. Joker's usually just an observer or listener, which they sometimes poke fun at by calling him quiet or noting something about him makes people willing to open up, but that thing is just "he's the protagonist" rather than an actual developed part of his character that makes him seem empathetic to people.

If they really didn't want Joker chatting a lot to make it easier to project onto them as an audience surrogate character, that's one thing, but even as part of the team it's hard to see what Joker's real role is. He's the "leader" but outside of the gameplay functions of controlling the party in battle, purchasing equipment, and deciding when to delve into palaces he very rarely does much leaderly decision-making. The plans come from someone else, usually Makoto or Morgana. I think the closest they come to showing Joker taking point on a plan is the whole Akechi murder switcheroo and that's deliberately pushed offscreen to surprise the player.

So yeah, in a story that's about developing a group of friends and having the strength of character to rebel against an unjust society, having the weakest link be the main character themselves is a bit rough. Joker has interesting bits and pieces, like his backstory of standing up for someone being attacked on the street, but for the most part he's literally and figuratively muted.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm trying to make a goofy Arsene. Any idea what can give me a null ice and null bless card?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think Satan might get you Drain Ice?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ChaosArgate posted:

I think Satan might get you Drain Ice?

Nah, gave me Tantric Oath as a bit of armor.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm trying to make a goofy Arsene. Any idea what can give me a null ice and null bless card?

https://aqiu384.github.io/p5-tool/skills.html

Looks like no one?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lockdown would probably be your best bet

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Well shoot, guess I'll have to make do :v:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Firebert posted:

I think it would be hard to give the main character actual lines and a personality in a way that people like. It is pretty difficult to make a good character that all the other characters love and think of as the greatest person they've ever know without it coming out as being super forced.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Well shoot, guess I'll have to make do :v:

Just gallows it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Lockdown would probably be your best bet

Yeah, this is how I did it and it was quick and painless.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ethiser posted:

I think it would be hard to give the main character actual lines and a personality in a way that people like. It is pretty difficult to make a good character that all the other characters love and think of as the greatest person they've ever know without it coming out as being super forced.

Your mileage may vary, but a number of characters in other RPGs have had fairly well-defined personalities of their own while still giving the player enough freedom to make some decisions. As it stands, by not really trying to fill that gap at all it already feels pretty forced, you're just sort of asked to imagine whatever Joker must be doing in those unvoiced lines and offscreen that has everyone so charmed by him because nothing you actually see does it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How long does it take to Lockdown a persona to get a resist or whatever? The one time I did it ages ago it took like a full month and I'm on december 11th :v:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

No card but I can show you an Arsene I came up with with the help of Harrow.

You need gallows. Drain Ice came from Satan and Drain Bless came from something else but I think you can get it from Cybele.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Btw that's kind of how you have to do things now because itemizing skill cards is by and large horrifically lovely.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ROFL Octopus posted:

No card but I can show you an Arsene I came up with with the help of Harrow.

You need gallows. Drain Ice came from Satan and Drain Bless came from something else but I think you can get it from Cybele.

Yeah aiming for a stupid strong spellcaster just for shits and giggles. Mine's currently level 64 with 75 MA

Dude has twig arms with 2 ST though :v:

E: Just got Drink Fantatic. Last trophy I need is to get held up which still hasn't happened. Neither has a fusion accident. My game is cursed.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 9, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah aiming for a stupid strong spellcaster just for shits and giggles. Mine's currently level 64 with 75 MA

E: Just got Drink Fantatic. Last trophy I need is to get held up which still hasn't happened. Neither has a fusion accident. My game is cursed.

I had one entire fusion accident happen during my first playthrough.

It's weird.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Has there been any compiled list of Mementos banter floating around? I imagine not since they're not really triggered by anything and can be cut off by simply pausing the menu but I love em and wanna see the ones I missed

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JYOukfUOgM

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"

Ryuji and Mona singing I've Been Working on the Railroad is awesome. :3:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

:eyepop:

Ok you're dedicated. Keep doing what you're doing.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Oh choice, thank you!

I love the recurring character bits like Yusuke gets carsick easily, or Goro's topics usually revolving around food because it's really the only conversation topic he has....

Goro and Makoto talking about mystery novels is also v. cute, I love that just all eight of them are crammed in there

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I finished my NG+ run and managed to get all the trophies after about a hour of grinding money to get the remaining persona summoned. It was nice to see the rest of the social link appear in the ending since in my first game I couldn't get Yoskue, Toro, Get Smoked Kid, and Iwai rank up.

During the ending Valetine Day scene with Haru (Makato was in my first run), I had to look up what Futaba valentine day event is like...and man I love the reaction Soijiro has when he sees you with Futaba compared to dating Haru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ivMEkrgWI

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They really care about hydration in Mementos

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
anything morgana generates for them in car form is his pee or his blood

e: :yeah:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Doesn't have Ali Dance (yet) or anything but I'm still amused by my Arsene

Please don't laugh at my sons twig arms

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I watched a bit of this, and do certain Mementos conversations have alternate lines from different party members? There were a couple in there I could recall from when I played but felt like someone else replied to the first speaker.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Dolash posted:

I watched a bit of this, and do certain Mementos conversations have alternate lines from different party members? There were a couple in there I could recall from when I played but felt like someone else replied to the first speaker.
Yeah there's three parts to this series and some are there. Like there's one conversation about manga with Makoto/Yusuke and another with Makoto/Ryuji in the next video

lowkey best memento thing is Goro saying he feels bad that we just loving bash the Shadows with our car when homeboy's running doing brain murder

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Firebert posted:

I've never really understood this point of view - if Atlus' admittedly clumsy attempts to have the mute protag participate are a hindrance, why not just go watch untold hours of anime instead or play any of the other 99 percent of AAA games that went for cinematography over player insertion?

I'd way rather Atlus just refined the mute protag the way they almost did in P4 and arguably suceeeded at in Devil Survivor, especially since they're rapidly becoming the last holdouts.

I'll admit P5 was probably worse than normal in this regard, though. P3 it didn't matter as much, because you weren't really the boss and P4 did pretty good, since it gave you ample opportunity to both interject in conversations and gently caress up, miss details and say something stupid (and eventually doom the world with your piss poor investigation skills)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

Lavenza is around for like 15 minutes. I dont know what everyone here is expecting

You can set up the semblance of a personality in 15 minutes.

Count Bleck posted:

Tell me about the fusion of psyches in this game about fusing psyches to murder poo poo.

You shouldn't ask people who are asking questions questions about the same thing the question is about!!! !!! !

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Need to change my vote on favorite Morgana line to that "Mehehe" he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Whoever thought up the mementos conversations deserves a raise.

• Locked thread