Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
If you choose to take a phone call while standing at the entrance to a subway station then I should be allowed to push you down the stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In one of my previous office jobs they didn't have enough desks for everyone and since I was the last guy hired I was designated hotdesker. Every morning I had to find out who had called in sick and use their desk for the day and since my back isn't in great I usually had to adjust their seat and I quite often had to adjust the height of the desk as well. (The desks were adjustable so people had set them to all sorts of different heights.) I'm pretty sure everyone hated my guts because of that but it's not like I had a choice, if I tried sitting in an incorrectly adjusted chair for 8 hours I'd be hosed. This went on for months and months.
It wasn't a small office either, it was a huge building with at least 200 people on that floor alone but for some reason they couldn't organise one more desk and computer for the new guy.

It's understandable that you had to do that, but you could have at least tried to put the chair/desk back the way you found it before you left.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Your boss was probably using the unspoken threat of having you come in and gently caress up all the adjustments on people's office furniture to discourage sick days.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's understandable that you had to do that, but you could have at least tried to put the chair/desk back the way you found it before you left.

There's no way I would have been able to get it back in the exact right position, I figured that leaving it where they clearly had to spend a minute or two re-adjusting it to their exact preference was better than leaving it where it as almost right but might take them a day or two of mild discomfort to realise it was off.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who remembers the previous chair setting 8 hours later?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Who remembers the previous chair setting 8 hours later?

It's not really that hard, most people seem to either have it all the way down or all the way up, and reclining on or off. Plus it's not hard to go out of your way to try just to be considerate, but I understand that is a foreign concept to goons.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

It's not really that hard, most people seem to either have it all the way down or all the way up, and reclining on or off.

Speaking as a guy who sat in other people's chairs every day for months on end .... that's not right

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Speaking as a guy who sat in other people's chairs every day for months on end .... that's not right

Your point still makes no sense though, it's just as hard to find the sweet spot (if you have one that isn't one of the extremes) from far away as it is from "almost right".

I don't know why "try your best to leave things that aren't yours as they were when you found them" is such a controversial concept. I thought most parents teach their kids this when they're like 6 years old.

e: also what the hell kind of office has a chair with that many adjustments?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Your point still makes no sense though, it's just as hard to find the sweet spot (if you have one that isn't one of the extremes) from far away as it is from "almost right".

I don't know why "try your best to leave things that aren't yours as they were when you found them" is such a controversial concept. I thought most parents teach their kids this when they're like 6 years old.

e: also what the hell kind of office has a chair with that many adjustments?

Are you really arguing with a dude over the chairs and desks of an office they worked at and you've never been to?

C'mon man

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Danaru posted:

Are you really arguing with a dude over the chairs and desks of an office they worked at and you've never been to?

C'mon man

There are people like him in offices everywhere I've worked and I hate them, a lot, and it's an obnoxious little thing that people do that make me unreasonably angry. I'm arguing with him because he's the only one brave enough to admit it, the ones who do it here remain anonymous.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

There are people like him in offices everywhere I've worked and I hate them, a lot, and it's an obnoxious little thing that people do that make me unreasonably angry. I'm arguing with him because he's the only one brave enough to admit it, the ones who do it here remain anonymous.

It's not like I wasn't re-adjusting them because I didn't give a poo poo, I was aware it was annoying for everyone else and I would have returned the chairs to their original condition if I could but that's not actually possible.

Management were fully aware there was an ongoing issue, at one point they asked me if it was possible for me to sit at other people's desks and not adjust their chairs and when I said "No, that will gently caress up my back" their reaction was :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 06:11 on May 9, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I guess my annoyance in that case would be more at management for being too cheap to spring for one more chair if they can't fit an extra desk for you somewhere. I still think you're incorrectly assuming everyone is as picky as you are and would notice if their chair was "close but slightly off" from how they had it originally vs "way off".

e: vvv if you're looking for things that make you reasonably angry, you're in the wrong thread. If I worked where he does, it wouldn't be my problem and I shouldn't have to suffer because they hired a person they don't have room for.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 06:55 on May 9, 2017

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
This dude has back problems and isn't provided with a dedicated desk. The hypothetical person loaning out their desk has to take 30 seconds to make a few adjustments. Is this the hill you want to die alternately: gently caress up your back on?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

In one of my previous office jobs they didn't have enough desks for everyone and since I was the last guy hired I was designated hotdesker. Every morning I had to find out who had called in sick and use their desk for the day and since my back isn't in great I usually had to adjust their seat and I quite often had to adjust the height of the desk as well. (The desks were adjustable so people had set them to all sorts of different heights.) I'm pretty sure everyone hated my guts because of that but it's not like I had a choice, if I tried sitting in an incorrectly adjusted chair for 8 hours I'd be hosed. This went on for months and months.
It wasn't a small office either, it was a huge building with at least 200 people on that floor alone but for some reason they couldn't organise one more desk and computer for the new guy.

The client I'm auditing at the moment has a guy who's been in this position for about 3 years. At this point he's taken over a 'project desk' they have (intended for group breakouts and the like) as his unofficial desk but it's a really dumb situation.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The place I used to work had permanent staff on day shifts and then casuals using those same desks in the evenings. The day staff absolutely hated it and repeatedly tried to make a rule that evening staff couldn't adjust anything, which didn't work because A that's ridiculous and B there was no one from day shift there to enforce it anyway.

reclining on or off.
I don't even know what this means. What sort of chair is this?

If someone adjusts your chair and leaves it way off, you instantly realise and can fix it. If someone adjusts your chair and then tries to put it back, it'll end up being slightly off and you'll spend a day or two wondering why it doesn't feel right. I wouldn't have expected this to be a controversial concept.

There are people like him in offices everywhere I've worked
People who have to use someone else's chair?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tiggum posted:

Some chairs have a function where you can lock the recline function so they don't lean back too far. If you regularly sit in a chair that doesn't recline and then someone switches it to "will recline to almost flat" without telling you then you can potentially catapult yourself onto the floor if you throw yourself into it too roughly.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

If someone adjusts your chair and leaves it way off, you instantly realise and can fix it. If someone adjusts your chair and then tries to put it back, it'll end up being slightly off and you'll spend a day or two wondering why it doesn't feel right. I wouldn't have expected this to be a controversial concept.

People who have to use someone else's chair?

Almost every chair I've ever seen has a thing you can push in or pull out that either fixes the back in an upright position or allows you to lean back.

I'd much rather if they just left my chair alone. Again, I shouldn't have to suffer inconvenience because my management is a bunch of idiots who hire more people than they have room for. In my case there is no excuse, nobody HAS to use my chair, they just do it anyway because they are too lazy to go get a spare chair from one of the rooms that have chairs specifically for guests/etc.

Even worse than you people who just gently caress up a person's workstation and leave it that way are the people at my last job who would steal my chair and replace it with a lovely one. This happened several times. After the second time I put a sticker on it so I could come in early and find it and steal it back. My entire point is "if you don't need to touch my chair or desk, don't. If you are forced to by idiotic policies, have the courtesy to only gently caress it up minimally".

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

When Tiggum agrees with you, you should reconsider your stance.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

If you're getting territorial about a goddamn office chair, you should reconsider your priorities. Someone adjusted your chair? Adjust it back. Someone swapped your chair for a different one? Get your chair back or just use the different one. If it's broken, get it replaced.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

If you're getting territorial about a goddamn office chair, you should reconsider your priorities. Someone adjusted your chair? Adjust it back. Someone swapped your chair for a different one? Get your chair back or just use the different one. If it's broken, get it replaced.

It's where I sit 40-50+ hours a week. Why would I not want a comfortable chair, and why should I have to go hunting from office to office for my chair every couple days? I have better things to do with my time at work. How would you feel if someone swapped your brand new 30" work monitor for an old 15" one? Is my mouse and keyboard fair game too? I mean, you can just go get a different one no problem right? Why be territorial about tools you need to do the job you were hired to do?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

It's where I sit 40-50+ hours a week. Why would I not want a comfortable chair, and why should I have to go hunting from office to office for my chair every couple days? I have better things to do with my time at work. How would you feel if someone swapped your brand new 30" work monitor for an old 15" one? Is my mouse and keyboard fair game too? I mean, you can just go get a different one no problem right? Why be territorial about tools you need to do the job you were hired to do?

Also where I work we have three different types of chair- one type adjusts a bit less well than my preferred type and has a different slant to the seat that I find uncomfortable, and the other is really weird to try to adjust, has a back that's way too high and a really intrusive headrest.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

Also where I work we have three different types of chair- one type adjusts a bit less well than my preferred type and has a different slant to the seat that I find uncomfortable, and the other is really weird to try to adjust, has a back that's way too high and a really intrusive headrest.

Yeah, same here and there is a big range in quality, from the falling apart cloth computer chairs you probably remember from highschool where the back is barely hanging on to really nice comfortable ones like mine. I just don't understand where this idea that everything in an office is communal comes from. I refuse to be a passive doormat like Tiggum and "just use the different one", because they wouldn't be swapping for my better chair if it wasn't because their chair sucks rear end. There are some things that are communal like whatever is in the lounges/etc but I would never think of just grabbing stuff off someone else's desk. It has nothing to do with territory, it's just plain rude to treat someone else's desk and whatever is on/around it as yours without asking.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tiggum posted:

The whole point of this thread is to complain about little inconsequential things that annoy you.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jippa posted:

The whole point of this thread is to complain about little inconsequential things that annoy you.

Complaining about people's posts in this thread is extremely on topic. :eng101:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
If anyone on my team complained even half as much as yeah i eat rear end about having to adjust their chair back, I'd be concerned that they didn't have enough to occupy their mind/time, or that perhaps they weren't being challenged enough.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If anyone on my team complained even half as much as yeah i eat rear end about having to adjust their chair back, I'd be concerned that they didn't have enough to occupy their mind/time, or that perhaps they weren't being challenged enough.

Yeah I eat rear end is plenty challenged.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The only time I actually complained was the last job I described when chairs were being stolen and replaced with broken/old ones. Besides, I could rant about chairs and desks all day at work and my boss wouldn't care as long as I was still productive. Probably only a third of my typical day is spent on actual work/writing papers, so I have to fill the rest of that time with something. I happen to choose to fill it with getting unreasonably angry at obnoxious little things that people do.

and Jerry Cotton that was rude.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

As a contractor I'm pleasantly surprised if I start at a new place and they actually have things already set up for me.
One time a company seemed desperate for people - "We need you straight away, we have extremely tight deadlines, can you start Monday and hit the ground running?" sort of thing.

So I turn up on Monday, ready to get started :
"Oh hi, you're the new guy? Well, we don't really have anywhere for you to sit just yet. Or a computer. Or a phone. Or really anything for you to do. Dave is on holiday this week so I guess you can sit at his desk and read the office procedures manuals for a bit. The coffee machine is over there, see you later."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Does it work? No? It needs to be thrown out and replaced. Yes? loving use it and stop whinging. Or go find a better one if you can. Who loving cares?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Joburg posted:

People who talk on the phone in the doctor's waiting room. Lady, I don't care about your daughter's baby shower or what color you are painting your bedroom... Go somewhere else to have your private conversation!

We had a problem patient get irate over a bill (in my work we have ZERO to do with the cost, it all falls back on the insurance company) and they proceeded to spend TWO HOURS on the phone with their insurance while other customers came and went, taking up a courtesy chair while she did so. Anyone could tell it was a dramatic conversation. You'd think you wouldn't want other people to overhear that kind of call, but this patient is special. :rolleyes: Our company won't allow us to kick her out.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Does it work? No? It needs to be thrown out and replaced. Yes? loving use it and stop whinging. Or go find a better one if you can. Who loving cares?

I do, obviously. And obviously so does the chair thief or they would "loving use it and stop whinging" instead of dumping it on me. This isn't some cubicle office where everything is identical, a lot of the chairs suck which you would know if you read posts aside from the one or two lines you pick out to rage at.

Also i am not going to waste my time filing a replacement request for someone else's broken chair.

e: anyway that's enough of chair chat, sorry you can't understand such a basic concept tiggum. I guess I should just install a steel backless stool at my desk because apparently comfort doesn't matter and you should just take whatever you find waiting for you in the morning.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 15:23 on May 9, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The chair by far the most important item at your desk and you'd be a fool to take it likely. How many thousands of dollars is like, another productive month out of your back or wrists? It's worth fretting about because it's Extremely Important.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Joburg posted:

People who talk on the phone in the doctor's waiting room. Lady, I don't care about your daughter's baby shower or what color you are painting your bedroom... Go somewhere else to have your private conversation!

It's a waiting room what the gently caress you weird person?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Seems that if you're too dumb to use the self-checkout stand at the grocery store, you're also too dumb to know this about yourself. Or you just don't care and you don't pay attention to other things in your life, and flail about helplessly in the expectation of service personnel to assist you at all times, while holding everyone else up. Either way, I hope you get food poisoning.

Like, I'm picturing you doubled over in pain and vomiting in my head, right now, as you stare at the little touchscreen, stunned like cattle that just got bolted in the forehead, that there exists in this world a touchscreen that doesn't do all the thinking for you and just play a soothing video while you wait for the store clerk to bail you out.

doctorfrog has a new favorite as of 23:55 on May 9, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think there was an acceptable transition period when those first came out where it was ok to be confused by them, but that period ended years ago. I think the problem is people don't read the extremely basic and detailed instruction prompts before acting. This annoyance extends to a lot of things. Let the machine tell you what to do.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo it's on the machine a lot of the time. like 10% of the time there is some error in weighing the produce and it literally won't let you continue until a staff member intervenes, or a sale doesn't ring up and someone has to come over and change the price. I get more annoyed that people that just take their sweet time. looking the receipt over, individually putting pennies into the little pouch on their wallets etc. Hurry up or get in the regular line.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Imo it's on the machine a lot of the time. like 10% of the time there is some error in weighing the produce and it literally won't let you continue until a staff member intervenes, or a sale doesn't ring up and someone has to come over and change the price. I get more annoyed that people that just take their sweet time. looking the receipt over, individually putting pennies into the little pouch on their wallets etc. Hurry up or get in the regular line.

That can happen, but at least in my experience the people who really hold things up are the senior citizens who just stare bewilderedly at the screen and need someone to hold their hand through every step of the process. The problems you describe are quick fixes as long as there's an employee available and don't really hold up the line like that.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

veni veni veni posted:

The Safeway near me transitioned to a new self-checkout system about three months ago and they still haven't managed to get all the fresh stuff into the system properly. Look up mushroom by name and maybe it'll have the variety you want, maybe not. So you push the button and the clerk comes over and types in a memorized 4-digit code and it comes up with CRIMINI MUSHROOMS ORGANIC why the gently caress isn't that searchable by name what kind of horseshit outsourced already-bankrupt software consultancy did you overpay to get this garbage?

Also this store is in the city and perpetually surrounded by homeless meth-heads which means the scales are tuned so that if something is off by an eighth of a gram or you try to use your own bag and it isn't made out of silk it's going to lock up. As if the meth-heads are going to bother going all the way through the self-checkout procedure to try and sneak three grains of couscous past the scale instead of just bolting out the door with an armload of random grabbables.

There are at least 12 self-checkout registers and I never see less than half of the Help Me lights on when I'm there. I've had one give me the middle finger four times in a row, and I resent how dumb it made me feel even though I was just trying to scan a loving box of crackers. It is NOT a friendly system and I find myself mustering up a lot of extra patience for the senior citizens and otherwise impaired people trying to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There was a WinCo near my old apartment that had those dry storage bins of nuts, candy, cereal, etc. and a ton of self-checkout stands.
I sometimes wondered how horribly you could rob the place by buying pine nuts and inputting them as peanuts, which was the next bin over and one digit off.

As for something that makes me unreasonably angry, when I'm sitting in a near empty theater and another person comes in and sits directly in front of me. I hate you. I don't know your name and I hate you.

• Locked thread