Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Pleads posted:

Just drove across 75% of the map constantly taking plinko sniper fire until I eventually died. Surrounded by trees, sniper fire. Pull behind a building, sniper fire. Drop into a divot in the ground that goes up around the car's height, sniper fire. Any time I slowed down I'd take a random shot or two.

:sigh:

I had an M249 the other night and a bunch of 5.56. I blew up three cars as they sped past me. Forget plinking sniper fire, just dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bolow posted:

Landing a good flashbang will blind the poo poo out of someone for 10 seconds or so. The trick is you know landing it

If you're close enough to land a flashbang you're close enough to land a frag.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you're close enough to land a flashbang you're close enough to land a frag.

If you're close enough to land a frag, you are close enough to peek around the corner and fill their face with buckshot.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

AnElegantPeacock posted:

If you're close enough to land a frag, you are close enough to peek around the corner and fill their face with buckshot.

If you're close enough to fill their face with buckshot then you might as well grab your pan and make a light ragout out of their facemeats.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
If you're close enough to use a pan, you're close enough to cook a frag grenade in your hand and run directly at your enemy

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

RIP AND TEAR

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

If you're close enough to fill their face with buckshot then you might as well grab your pan and make a light ragout out of their facemeats.

While we're still kind of on the subject of new weapons. I wouldn't mind a nail gun. No aiming point save for the built-in crosshairs, but more or less integrally silenced since the only noise it should make is "shhhh-kumpfh!"

It'd also be really nice to be able to rig doors with grenades.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

While we're still kind of on the subject of new weapons. I wouldn't mind a nail gun. No aiming point save for the built-in crosshairs, but more or less integrally silenced since the only noise it should make is "shhhh-kumpfh!"

It'd also be really nice to be able to rig doors with grenades.

So what you're saying is: A pan.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
They need to add a suicide button which you can use if you have a pistol, GTA5 style. Just pop one in your head when you know you're completely surrounded and there's no hope.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Songbearer posted:

They need to add a suicide button which you can use if you have a pistol, GTA5 style. Just pop one in your head when you know you're completely surrounded and there's no hope.

gently caress that, go out guns blazing every single time

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I honestly think until they implement vaulting, waist high fences should just instantly kill you and save you from the bullshit of getting caught on it when you try to jump over it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

I honestly think until they implement vaulting, waist high fences should just instantly kill you and save you from the bullshit of getting caught on it when you try to jump over it.

Just shoot them if you're pressed on time. Most of them fall apart.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I keep hearing about this games ticks? Low tick rate or something. Can someone explain this to me. Why are some areas worse than others?

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

thegoat posted:

I keep hearing about this games ticks? Low tick rate or something. Can someone explain this to me. Why are some areas worse than others?

It has something to do with the frame rate and the refresh rate on your monitor and how things render. It probably has a 60hz tick rate and all the super l33t progamers want 120hz. Very few games actually surface tickrate though. The recent Battlefield games are the only ones I can think of.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just shoot them if you're pressed on time. Most of them fall apart.

This changes everything. Does it work for the stupid barbed wire fences too?

Are there any videos out there how to aim with the sniper rifle (with a 4x)?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

thegoat posted:

It's basically how often the server updates the position of everything. Higher tickrates are better because it results in a more accurate simulation (and thus closer to what you see happening on your screen.)

These days 60+ tickrate could be considered the gold standard. I think PUBG is supposed to run at 30+ but apparently has issues that make it run at more like 15 or so? (Supposedly) Probably doesn't help that they have a shitload of players in each match and concurrently at any time.

Quite frankly though the public at large is completely unreliable when it comes to any networking discussion and I would just ignore it cause it will probably be tweaked at some point or another and until then it's mostly an excuse for shitters to explain why they are actually not bad and it's totally the game that got them killed.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

60 tick isn't the gold standard, it's the bare minimum to make a game not play like poo poo. PUBG's tick rate is actually worse than BF4's was at launch

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
They need to add food requirements to this game to disincentivise camping

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Chard posted:

gently caress that, go out guns blazing every single time

If you know you can't get away, mag dump your ammo and scatter your belongings over the widest area possible out of spite. Be sure to burn med kits and energy drinks as well.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

They need to add food requirements to this game to disincentivise camping

We can have people craft AKMs from stones and trees too!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

How about a spotting scope that takes over your pistol slot

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Bolow posted:

60 tick isn't the gold standard, it's the bare minimum to make a game not play like poo poo. PUBG's tick rate is actually worse than BF4's was at launch

Battlefield 4 launched with a tickrate of 10. Also that's a lovely avatar from a game that launched with a tickrate of 20.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Det_no posted:

Battlefield 4 launched with a tickrate of 10. Also that's a lovely avatar from a game that launched with a tickrate of 20.

But 1942 had a 60 tickrate 100 years ago.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Det_no posted:

And it played like poo poo with 20 tick :confused:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

VulgarandStupid posted:

But 1942 had a 60 tickrate 100 75 years ago.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
DayZ had all these discussions over and over again, I think that the bottom line is that huge maps, high player counts and physics simulations are challenging regardless of the engine. Desync is gonna happen unless you're ok with the server dropping people agressively.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

DayZ had all these discussions over and over again, I think that the bottom line is that huge maps, high player counts and physics simulations are challenging regardless of the engine. Desync is gonna happen unless you're ok with the server dropping people agressively.

Battlefield 4 and 1 (in that order, yep....) had adaptive tick rates, which were amazing.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

Battlefield 4 and 1 (in that order, yep....) had adaptive tick rates, which were amazing.

How does that work?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

VulgarandStupid posted:

How large were the actual maps compared to PUBG's map?

For that purpose how large is the map compared to Chernarus (although Chernarus has plenty of prop buildings where PUBG doesn't)

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

How does that work?

Watch this video: https://youtu.be/7nO9bZm8ceY

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Thank you :)

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

so i picked this game up after spending a weekend doing nothing but watching streams

my second game in solo, i get to 6th.

feeling pretty good, i jump into another and head to novo

maybe one other guy gets over there with me, but we don't cross paths

i find level 3 backpack, helmet, vest, an m416, some mods, a kar and an 8x. shitton of medical supplies.

so at this point i'm feeling pretty loving good, right?

i jump into a buggy and make my way to circle.

find a decent place to start my trek on foot.

i jump out of the car too fast and get killed by falling.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

sudo rm -rf posted:

so i picked this game up after spending a weekend doing nothing but watching streams

i find level 3 backpack, helmet, vest, an m416, some mods, a kar and an 8x. shitton of medical supplies.

Just wait until you try to jump over a waist high wall and get stuck on it in a perpetual falling animation. It's magical.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

sudo rm -rf posted:

I was on my way to a top 10 finish before I ran myself over with a boat :smith:

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

sudo rm -rf posted:

A right of passage for every player.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

sudo rm -rf posted:

In my experience, the more geared I am the less likely I am to do well.

Some of my best rounds have involved a pump shotgun and an AR with 1 mag worth of ammo.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Canuckistan posted:

A right of passage for every player.

Hell, I took a motorcycle and bee lined to the ruins, hit a bump, flew into the air, off the bike, smacked into the side of the church then fell to my death. 10/10 would play again

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.
In a sologame today i was driving along minding my own business, when suddenly i hear shots at me. Before i manage to react i see the guy off to my side and think "gently caress, i aint hitting that guy"

I then hear two grunts like I would have hit the guy anyway, and get a killmsg that the guy died from falling. His body have also been thrown 50m for some reason.

I love this bugged game sometimes.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I got shoulder peeked last night on stream. Literally just a few pixels of a shoulder then BAM I'm dead. It was fun, though.

Also if you ever catch people hiding in a hut just shoot out a window and toss a frag in. If someone is covering the door you just got some free kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Akion posted:

In my experience, the more geared I am the less likely I am to do well.

This is so true.
However, a couple of times now in duo's my mate was killed very early in the round which normally would mean I just exit and we play a new one but because I had already found awesome gear I decided to have fun with it and run head first into fights to end it quickly but at least have some fun. Instead of dying fast, as I expected, I ended up doing very well. Got a lot of kills and almost won more than one of these.
So I think we have a tendency to play it "safe" when being geared which instead means you get killed by a dude you never even saw (making playing it "safe" not safe), instead of always being on the offensive and leaving a wake of dead bodies and cleared areas behind, making it so very few fights will be a surprise.

Sometimes I end up dying cause I can't resist taking a long range shot on a running target just because you have a sniper and getting the kill would be cool, alerting everyone to our presence.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 9, 2017

• Locked thread