Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

bamhand posted:

You are literally the only person to think this.

I'm also the best Alarak ever. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

chumbler posted:

I've been trying to think of times you wouldn't want bunny hop and about all I've got is big shot might be better for mines, hanamura, and maaaaybe spider queen. Big mobile aoe slow and damage is just too valuable compared to faster mech cooldown, unless big shot's damage is really high.

Plus if you take GG WP as her level 16 talent you only have to be near a dead hero to get an instant reset on the mech.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

so i was thinking today how incredibly badly i want an algalon hero

just totally insanely badly

cosmic smash, phase punch, summon collapsing stars, ult to Ascend to the Heavens or create black holes

SEE YOUR WORLD THROUGH MY EYES

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Oh my god. When your bunny hop ult hits an enemy it makes like Mario bouncing on a goomba bloop noises

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh man queuing as Leoric into QM Cho'gall is some :whitewater: poo poo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Btw, somewhat new to the game, does the PTR work like Overwatch and WoW where nothing you get carries over to live or do you actually get these rewards for these daily quests on your live account?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I have a weekly casual group that meets for a couple of hours; old college friends/WoW guild, just a way to keep in touch really. We tend to play vs AI because "lol we're bad" but the weekly thing has forced us into multiplayer. Man, when you remember that people aren't all as good as top level AI (or good in different ways), it's pretty fun. I can actually trap people with Nazeebo, you don't always know "they're getting siege right about... now", they don't instantly focus fire and can make mistakes... this is fun!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Macaluso posted:

Btw, somewhat new to the game, does the PTR work like Overwatch and WoW where nothing you get carries over to live or do you actually get these rewards for these daily quests on your live account?

The only thing that carries over is real money transactions. Spending or earning gold or shards don't carry over, nor does hero levels.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Macaluso posted:

It does not carry over. Only exception used to be if you bought the new hero with real money on PTR you got it on live but I don't know how that is handled now with gems.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

chumbler posted:

I've been trying to think of times you wouldn't want bunny hop and about all I've got is big shot might be better for mines, hanamura, and maaaaybe spider queen. Big mobile aoe slow and damage is just too valuable compared to faster mech cooldown, unless big shot's damage is really high.

I'm on my phone so I can't check but it was 300-something damage at level ??? On a cooldown of 4 seconds. So DPS wise on its own it's not great but as a burst interwoven between her regular pistol shots it looks like pretty good poke, but otherwise I agree that bunnyhop is probably better.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

beejay posted:

It does not carry over. Only exception used to be if you bought the new hero with real money on PTR you got it on live but I don't know how that is handled now with gems.

Seeing as they give you 750 gems as a PTR reward for playing 3 games I doubt it - although I guess we'll find out if I have D.VA unlocked day one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So as someone who doesn't play RTS games cause they're the worst, what's the deal with Alarak? Is he a villain? Are Artanis and Tassadar good guys and oppose him? Zeratul looks kind of in between? What's their deal. Gimme the lowdown without me having to actually play Starcraft

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Macaluso posted:

So as someone who doesn't play RTS games cause they're the worst, what's the deal with Alarak? Is he a villain? Are Artanis and Tassadar good guys and oppose him? Zeratul looks kind of in between? What's their deal. Gimme the lowdown without me having to actually play Starcraft

Alarak is a Sith Lord, Artanis is Obi-Wan, Tassadar is Qui-gon Jinn and Zeratul is Jolee Bindo.

Alarak is hilarious because all he does is piss and moan about everything.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Alarak's whole deal is that he's the leader of the faction of the psychic aliens that actively worships Space Satan and are helping him destroy all life in the universe because Space Satan has told them for generations that they'll be spared and will get to use the empty universe as their playground.

Then he finds out that no, Space Satan lied and he's just going to kill him and his people along with everyone else, so he joins the good guys.

He never stops being a smug dick, though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Thank you friends

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
It's also worth pointing out that Alarak also takes literally every opportunity to tell the good guys that he's only helping them because Space Satan lied to him and he wants revenge. Whether or not the universe gets saved is a distant second.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

He's also voiced by John de Lancie at his most hammy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just got into this game because of the DVa quests. Really enjoying it as my first MOBA. I will not play any other MOBAs though. This is the only one. Also, they need to make Dragoon Fenix into a character. Why isn't he a character? :(

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

I've been annoyed by this for a while now but between a recent match with Li Li and these patch notes, I finally got frustrated enough to post about this:

The tooltips in this game are inconsistent as hell. Sometimes talents will modify the numbers in the ability's tooltip, most of the time they won't.

Talent descriptions that add damage will sometimes have the damage scale with levels, other times it's a flat nonscaling damage increase, and it's difficult to tell the difference. (Usually if it's a quest reward then it doesn't scale.) Sometimes it's listed as a percentage boost, other times it's listed as a numeric increase.

Duration? Sometimes it's "Increased by 50%", other times it's "Increased by 2 seconds". Nerazim Fury increases the duration by 50% (2 seconds); Gravity Kills increases the duration by 1 second.

My favorite example of this is Tassadar's auto attack talent at level 1. When you complete the quest your range goes up by "1". One what?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SKULL.GIF posted:

Oh man queuing as Leoric into QM Cho'gall is some :whitewater: poo poo.

But leo used to be good against chogal. Or was the fatty good at juking your ghosthand/has that changed? Or do you mean your team had leo and chogal?

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Primetime posted:

My favorite example of this is Tassadar's auto attack talent at level 1. When you complete the quest your range goes up by "1". One what?

I love how they added the Armor system a while back to "simplify" things but every single last tooltip in the game that mentions Armor tells you that it reduces damage anyway, so calling it Armor just makes things more confusing for newbies.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Coolness Averted posted:

But leo used to be good against chogal. Or was the fatty good at juking your ghosthand/has that changed? Or do you mean your team had leo and chogal?

No I mean we crushed them like seashells beneath our heels. Cho'Gall couldn't get near Leoric without his health dropping like a rock, and since this was Braxis Holdout, that meant they could never really contest the two beacons. We got three straight 100-0s and won in like ten minutes.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Poultron posted:

I love how they added the Armor system a while back to "simplify" things but every single last tooltip in the game that mentions Armor tells you that it reduces damage anyway, so calling it Armor just makes things more confusing for newbies.

Eh, it's nice to have the shorthand. "Tyrael has 15 spell armor, pick him vs this comp" vs "Abilities do 15% less damage against Tyrael"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SKULL.GIF posted:

Eh, it's nice to have the shorthand. "Tyrael has 15 spell armor, pick him vs this comp" vs "Abilities do 15% less damage against Tyrael"

To me the only confusing part of that relationship is calling it "spell armor." Like yeah, I know what it means now, but you'd think they'd pick something a little less immediately confusing in a game where sometimes abilities are spells but sometimes they're shooting someone with a rifle or throwing bombs at them. "Ability Armor" and "Attack Armor," maybe.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

teagone posted:

Dragoon Fenix

Specifically Dragoon Fenix mind you, not the weird Purifier robo-centaur thing based on his brain scans that shows up in LoTV.

That can be a skin.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bloody Pom posted:

Specifically Dragoon Fenix mind you, not the weird Purifier robo-centaur thing based on his brain scans that shows up in LoTV.

That can be a skin.

I haven't played any SC2 campaigns so ignorance is bliss!

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

so i was thinking today how incredibly badly i want an algalon hero

just totally insanely badly

cosmic smash, phase punch, summon collapsing stars, ult to Ascend to the Heavens or create black holes

SEE YOUR WORLD THROUGH MY EYES

So basically Enigma from dota, but with a really cool base skin. Count me in.

I want to see the Diablo II druid, and cheesy voice lines between him and Rehgar about wolfs

wait no a D2 assassin would be really fun. Teleport kick, mind blast, lightning sentry. Summon shadow as ult. Talents let you pick up burst of speed or fade as active castables.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 9, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Diablo 2's Assassin makes too much sense as a dotalike hero to not be included at some point. I hope it's Natalya.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bloody Pom posted:

That can be a skin.

Fenix can be the next multiclass hero. Start out as Fenix the zealot and then at 10 you choose to either stay that way and continue talenting for...I dunno, assassin? Or you can "die" and be brought back as a Dragoon which turns you tanky and gives you new moves.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

teagone posted:

Just got into this game because of the DVa quests. Really enjoying it as my first MOBA. I will not play any other MOBAs though. This is the only one. Also, they need to make Dragoon Fenix into a character. Why isn't he a character? :(

Spoilers, this is what will happen when they release Fenix. He will be a multiclass character I cannot see them releasing Zealot/Dragoon Fenix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chH9T4HwFk4

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Spudd posted:

I cannot see them releasing Zealot/Dragoon Fenix.

Further proof we live in the darkest timeline.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Primetime posted:

That one seems entirely obvious to me given the context of the buff, but if you aren't familiar with the mechanics of the game I suppose it's a lot less clear, yeah. One range unit. Standard ranged AA range is 5.5, Tass is 6.5, and if he completes that it's 7.5.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Mind over Matter posted:

That one seems entirely obvious to me given the context of the buff, but if you aren't familiar with the mechanics of the game I suppose it's a lot less clear, yeah. One range unit. Standard ranged AA range is 5.5, Tass is 6.5, and if he completes that it's 7.5.

This is one of the simplified mechanics that I love about HotS. In dota there is wide variation in ranged heroes, and those increments can make a notable difference for early lane harass, last hits, and ganks. Sometimes the difference is tiny, like adding or losing .25 to .5 range HotS wise. It adds a really minor variance among heroes. Talents completely overhaul this. You can get a huge boost in range, but at the cost of other talents that give you better DPS at standard range.

The whole talent system is a breath of fresh air. I love that all your QWE skills are viable from level 1 through the end of the game, and you augment them rather than just make them do more damage or heal more each time you level up. You can react to enemy team comp and pick talents to counter enemy heroes. You can even pick talents that help you turtle and make a comeback if your team is getting pushed in early game. It more than makes up for not having gold farming / item builds for versatility. Blizz loving nailed it on this mechanic.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Spudd posted:

Spoilers, this is what will happen when they release Fenix. He will be a multiclass character I cannot see them releasing Zealot/Dragoon Fenix.

:gonk: What is this horseshit?!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

Starcraft 2

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

I feel like Wave of Light doesn't really do enough to be worth it.

It's 50% more duration on his trait.

Primetime posted:

Press C ingame. It lists your AA range, so you can figure out what +1 to your range means.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 9, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

teagone posted:

I fail to see the problem, he looks neat.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Spudd posted:

Just because he can switch forms doesn't mean he has to be multiclass; in fact, it probably means the opposite, because making a hero who can swap between assassin and tank at will wouldn't make sense.

The simplest and most sensible way to build him would be to make him a Warrior who swaps between a tank Praetor form (which has a charge like Diablo or D.Va, some kind of channelled AoE or damage aura like Sonya/Dehaka, and a shield that is either like Anub'arak's or more interestingly, gives him armour for the duration) and a bruiser Dragoon form which trades the survivability of the Praetor form for a damage skillshot, an AoE damage/slow, and something else on his E (maybe a buff that gives it movespeed). The third form can be one of his two ults, as a temporary powerup.

On that same note, they could fix Varian trivially by reducing his Fury and Arms damage to a level more in line with his Protection damage, baking the extra HP from Taunt in baseline (with Taunt still giving you extra armour), and reclassifying him as a tank.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

Press C ingame. It lists your AA range, so you can figure out what +1 to your range means.

Fair enough, didnt know there was a numeric range system. Either way it's still less intuitive than other range increase talents that tend to use % terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

They've already said Fenix is going to have a death mechanic, there was an interview shortly after Leoric where they talked about wanting to space Fenix out from him so that people didnt' feel like they were too similar.