Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I don't think it's a scam. I think the device legitimately sends people somewhere. Whether that somewhere is where the departed went or just getting turned into radioactive dust is the mystery.

If it's GR version 3.0 I will be majorly letdown by the show for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Two kids and a husband, though it all depends on how much she ran the house.

Also, am I just making stuff up in my mind, or was it briefly mentioned that her husband had been cheating on her?

He was, and Nora didn't even know it until 3 years after the Departure. Matt told her because he'd learned about it in his campaign to dig up dirt on all of Mapleton's departed (Another entry in Rev. Matt's Greatest Hits)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Matt sometimes makes me think he's the most hosed up one of all lol..

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I was reading Sepinwall's review of Better Call Saul and whoa:

quote:

* Hell of a two-night performance by Sackheim, who, through the vagaries of scheduling, directed both last night’s achingly beautiful The Leftovers and this episode, which featured some gorgeous imagery despite taking place almost entirely indoors:.

That's pretty impressive.

edit: You know what, that was probably too much BCS plot info for a Leftovers thread

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 9, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I noticed the guy's name on both eps and he seriously crushed it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SLOSifl posted:

I was reading Sepinwall's review of Better Call Saul and whoa:

That's pretty impressive.

edit: You know what, that was probably too much BCS plot info for a Leftovers thread

It's funny, because these are the only two shows I'm currently watching (that are airing new right now).

I'm spoiled by good tv.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Yet by the end of the episode, Nora is still saying No, my kids aren't DEAD, they're GONE.

Isn't this kind of a normal state of mind for people that don't get closure for their loved ones disappearing/dying/going missing/not being recovered?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

I'm spoiled by good tv.

You're easily pleased. "Spoiled" is 2 hours a week?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Makes sense if that's your only 2 hours.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Makes sense if that's your only 2 hours.

I've got a newborn so yeah, my time is limited. My wife and I just binged Happy Valley which was great. Trying to find another on-demand show to check out.

Like I said, BCS and this show are the only two we're watching that are currently airing.

End of the month brings Twin Peaks and House of Cards, so I'm looking forward to them as well.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

To reinforce this point: Assuming that this is not a grift and that the two physicist women Nora talked to actually know what they're talking about, one of them straight up tells her that the odds her kids ended up in an environment that could actually support human life are astronomical. That the most likely scenario is a bunch of corpses floating out in space. Yet by the end of the episode, Nora is still saying No, my kids aren't DEAD, they're GONE.

To be totally fair, it's actually very reasonable for people in the show's universe to assume that the departed actually went... somewhere. The idea of a natural phenomenon just randomly plucking away people (and not the air or the dirt or like half a person or another person the departed was physically in contact with at the time or whatever) is pretty absurd. If I lived in the Leftovers world I'd definitely be assuming "taken" and not "just gone."

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Paradoxish posted:

To be totally fair, it's actually very reasonable for people in the show's universe to assume that the departed actually went... somewhere. The idea of a natural phenomenon just randomly plucking away people (and not the air or the dirt or like half a person or another person the departed was physically in contact with at the time or whatever) is pretty absurd. If I lived in the Leftovers world I'd definitely be assuming "taken" and not "just gone."

I know this show isn't about solving the mystery of the departures, at all. But if I were a person in this world the main clue to me would be that people vanished with their clothes, accessories, etc. but not, like you said, with anything else in their surroundings. And as a viewer the other main clue is that all of the departures we actually see in flashbacks were people who were unwanted by those around them at the time.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I didn't get to watch any of this season until this week. Skimming this thread I see many people saying that the Kevin Sr. episode was either slow or out of place. I think it holds up a lot better when you get to immediately watch the next episode. But now I'm sad I have to wait for the next episode like the rest of you :(.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
A friend of mine is holding out until the entire season is over before he watches. I understand that from the "no interminable wait between episodes" standpoint, but not from a "I'll take 8 hours of this emotional assault to the dome in very short order" one. Especially if the rest of the season is as intense as this week's episode was.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

It's possible that her being rejected had something to do with her bloodwork coming back.

What if she is carrying Schrodinger's baby and doesn't know it yet?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Great episode, the scene at the hotel with the fire going on in the background was great. Kevin and Nora are out of their minds and they're realizing the broken pieces don't fit.

Any sources that have translations for what the doctors were saying?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Golli posted:

It's possible that her being rejected had something to do with her bloodwork coming back.

What if she is carrying Schrodinger's baby and doesn't know it yet?

Well the asking of the questions and the timing of it all wouldn't make sense.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

They may have been checking to see if she knew or suspected she was pregnant in the way she answered. A woman who is pregnant would personalize a baby-killing hypothetical instead of being as detached as she was.

They may have moral (informed consent, the woman's right to choose, etc) reasons for rejecting her on that basis without fully explaining it to her.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Spoilers from Season 3 Trailer and interview with author of the original novel:

I'm leaning towards The End of the World, with fanatics starting WW3 based on the submariners we saw and the man detonating an explosive. Perrotta talked about how it seems to be human nature to wish for the end of the world, with each generation thinking that they'll be the last ones. I think that the Where is going to be an identical world to ours, maybe mysteriously emptied, and that Nora is going to go through. Also based on the trailer, it looks like Kevin Jr is going back to the hotel or at least the Land of the Dead, I'm wondering what his goal is going to be.

Or, you know, nothing will happen and LOST really messed me up

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Spoilers from Season 3 Trailer and interview with author of the original novel:

I'm leaning towards The End of the World, with fanatics starting WW3 based on the submariners we saw and the man detonating an explosive. Perrotta talked about how it seems to be human nature to wish for the end of the world, with each generation thinking that they'll be the last ones. I think that the Where is going to be an identical world to ours, maybe mysteriously emptied, and that Nora is going to go through. Also based on the trailer, it looks like Kevin Jr is going back to the hotel or at least the Land of the Dead, I'm wondering what his goal is going to be.

Or, you know, nothing will happen and LOST really messed me up
I've been thinking this too (specifically in regards to the explosives and submarines from the season trailer), and I have a wild theory about how WW3/nuclear war actually ends up causing the great departure in the first place, based on how the Perfect Strangers guy explained the physics involved in sending people to where the departed went. But that just might be me not wanting to let the mystery be.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Last Chance posted:

I've been thinking this too (specifically in regardsthe explosives and submarines from the season trailer), and I have a wild theory about how WW3/nuclear war actually ends up causing the departure in the first place, based on how the Perfect Strangers guy explained the physics involved in sending people to where the departed went. But that just might be me not wanting to let the mystery be.

Tachyons?

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
What if the departed just traveled though time?

When that Malaysia Airlines flight went missing and time went on and they couldn't find anything I liked to daydream they traveled through time and would show up some time in the future.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

JethroMcB posted:

A friend of mine is holding out until the entire season is over before he watches. I understand that from the "no interminable wait between episodes" standpoint, but not from a "I'll take 8 hours of this emotional assault to the dome in very short order" one. Especially if the rest of the season is as intense as this week's episode was.

I binged season 2 that way in a day I was home sick as a dog. I don't know if it was the fever, or the subject matter, but I decided a repeat mainline of The Leftovers, while god damned mind blowing, was not how I wanted to do it for season 3. Glad I decided to watch it week-to week.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Season 1 was definitely improved by watching after the fact, if only because I had people telling me that plot threads would be resolved and all that.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I'm not really getting the Nora plot. It's obviously a scam, everything about it just screams scam. But Nora really seems to believe in it on some level. Why would a trained fraud investigator fall for this? She must have seen this poo poo a million times already over the years, why would this one crack her?

Because that's who Nora is. The hardened pragmatist is a facade she puts on for other people. In reality she's an emotional wreck who continues to find unhealthy ways to cope with her loss. Holy Wayne describes her perfectly in season one. Hope is her weakness. It's why she paid to meet Holy Wayne. It's why she met Mark Linn-Baker. Why she drove to see Lily. And why she went to Australia with $20,000. I mean even after the scientist tells her that if she goes through the odds of it being a place that humans could inhabit are astronomically small, she still clings to that tiny bit of hope.

It's what makes her character so great. She's this completely broken person still clinging to hope who masks it in her everyday life.

Also watch the clip with Wayne. Everything he says about her is still true to her character today. It's really why going back and re-watching earlier seasons is so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYG8H-sfks

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Golli posted:

They may have been checking to see if she knew or suspected she was pregnant in the way she answered. A woman who is pregnant would personalize a baby-killing hypothetical instead of being as detached as she was.

They may have moral (informed consent, the woman's right to choose, etc) reasons for rejecting her on that basis without fully explaining it to her.

I think it could also be a lie detector test of sorts. Nora would absolutely not kill a baby in their scenario. That guy who lit himself on fire probably would. They realize the person is lying and they are done.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It's funny, because these are the only two shows I'm currently watching (that are airing new right now).

I'm spoiled by good tv.

Fargo, man. Get your double helping of Carrie Coon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

Fargo, man. Get your double helping of Carrie Coon.

I haven't seen the other seasons, but it's an anthology right? So aside from missing some little callbacks, I could jump in at season 3, and catch the others later?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

I haven't seen the other seasons, but it's an anthology right? So aside from missing some little callbacks, I could jump in at season 3, and catch the others later?

Yes. No need to watch the previous two right now (but you should, it's incredible)

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
New season of Fargo too drat same to the last two. Did not continue after the first ep. Sad.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I hope they use "Little Talks" as a theme song before the season is over. It's a hauntingly beautiful song that's more than appropriate and would work with the credits.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

They should have just gone with the awesome Pixies piano cover they bordered on over-using last season

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

My only knock on the season is we haven't gotten enough Max Richter in the season. I miss those songs playing a lot more frequently.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Guys, I think I'm loosing it. I'm at my daughter's school concert and I think I'm seeing Evie.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

tomapot posted:

Guys, I think I'm loosing it. I'm at my daughter's school concert and I think I'm seeing Evie.

LOOK A THE PICTURE AGAIN KEVIN

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Stay away from the library.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

tomapot posted:

I would be pissed if my minor kid was having a picture posted by someone online

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

I would be pissed if my minor kid was having a picture posted by someone online
Have you heard of Facebook?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

I've read some stuff about cosmic particles. They travel at nearly the speed of light, they're so tiny that they don't intersect with even densely packed matter, and the Earth's magnetic field deflects most of them. Given the measurable radiation being the only thing anyone knows about the Sudden Departure, and that Damon Lindelof is big on electromagnetic forces in his shows, I'm surprised the commonly accepted theory among survivors isn't that a super powerful cosmic ray collided with the Earth at just the right angle that everyone on the planet vibrating within a certain frequency range disintegrated on the spot - and therefore is dead rather than missing/taken/raptured/whatever. I'd leap to that way before I figured they're alive somewhere or were taken to [insert favorite religious afterlife].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

People don't vibrate dude, it was quite obviously aliens that needed a variety of samples for research

• Locked thread