Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

BigDave posted:

Have Iowan congressmen always been this bad? I swear I don't remember Iowa being that racist or right wing.

yeah iowa was the weird blue state in a swamp of red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yeah iowa was the weird blue state in a swamp of red

It might be selective memory, but I remember Iowa getting worked up for only three things:

Corn and Corn subsidiaries
Minor League Baseball
Lutheran Weddings

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
They really like wrestling and MMA out there too

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Constant embarrassment Steve King (R) is from Iowa.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Have not heard much about the new VA head; here's an article: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/us/politics/new-veterans-affairs-chief-a-hands-on-risk-taking-standout.html?_r=0&referer=

I'm willing to give him a shot

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Man the poo poo with Flynn makes my guts hurt. I can't reconcile what I'm learning about him against what I know of him.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Man the poo poo with Flynn makes my guts hurt. I can't reconcile what I'm learning about him against what I know of him.

He sounds like he was one hell of an intel guy, and turned JSOC into a information processing monster.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
He did. He and McChrystal transformed that command into something better than it already was, and it was already a well run high speed command.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
In that case it's maybe time to accept that Russian leadership seminars are highly effective.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

In that case it's maybe time to accept that Russian leadership seminars are highly effective.

:(

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

:eyepop:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Flynn got caught up in the bear trap, but instead of a trap that snaps shut quickly and anchors him, it's one that slowly and almost unnoticeably closed around him. I'm sure it started small, with something seemingly innocuous. Gifts continued and other such things happened around him until one day he was too far in. It's not like he just flipped a switch and went "da comrade" overnight. The Russians have probably been massaging him for years and years to get to this point.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Might be other things going on that we don't know about. His son is a whackadoo Pizzagate diehard who reposts and flogs anything that Alex Jones burps up on his show, and that sort of political crazy doesn't usually happen in a vacuum.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I am loving shocked that a US Army General turned out to be a piece of poo poo. SHOCKED.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

He did. He and McChrystal transformed that command into something better than it already was, and it was already a well run high speed command.

From what I've read on it, Dell Dailey was a bit of a shitbird who didn't quite understand how to use small unit tactics to their best results.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Jakarta governor jailed for blashpmeing Koran.

ISIL releases video showing beheading of alleged Russian agent

S.Korea's Moon Jae-in a progressive candidate leades in polls

US life expectancy varies by 20 years from county to county. (Cool info graph but I'm posting from bullshit meetings so :effort: )

Over 7000 bodies thought to be buried under Mississippi University - the former site of the state's first mental institution

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Waroduce posted:

Jakarta governor jailed for blashpmeing Koran.

ISIL releases video showing beheading of alleged Russian agent

S.Korea's Moon Jae-in a progressive candidate leades in polls

US life expectancy varies by 20 years from county to county. (Cool info graph but I'm posting from bullshit meetings so :effort: )

Over 7000 bodies thought to be buried under Mississippi University - the former site of the state's first mental institution

Tweets or it didn't happen.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Tweets or it didn't happen.

:barf:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Just lol if you aren't directly quoting forums.somethingawful.com as your source

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Edited

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
You all have google and sometimes I just wanna inject some discussion in to stop the Trump circle jerk and drive some new discussion. I do apologize for not linking anything but I'm bored in a meeting.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/861962480821686272

South Korean Elections went well

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Lindsey Graham: cocktease

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/861960559897567233

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Waroduce posted:

You all have google and sometimes I just wanna inject some discussion in to stop the Trump circle jerk and drive some new discussion. I do apologize for not linking anything but I'm bored in a meeting.

I was joking, thanks for the information though

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Hanford, Washington (state) looks like it had another incident at a plutonium finishing facility where a tunnel collapsed and workers are now sheltering in place and being told not to drink or eat anything. The tunnel had radioactive poo poo in it.

http://www.king5.com/mb/news/local/hanford/breaking-tunnel-at-plutonium-finishing-plant-collapses-in-hanford/438116235

For reference, it's commonly called "the most contaminated nuclear waste site in the United States" http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26658719

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Who had Spirit Airlines as the next one to be in the news?

Passengers fought security and police at Ft Laudrdale over cancellations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Flynn got caught up in the bear trap, but instead of a trap that snaps shut quickly and anchors him, it's one that slowly and almost unnoticeably closed around him. I'm sure it started small, with something seemingly innocuous. Gifts continued and other such things happened around him until one day he was too far in. It's not like he just flipped a switch and went "da comrade" overnight. The Russians have probably been massaging him for years and years to get to this point.

This is believable to me, as if you substituted "Russia" with "A Multinational Corporation With The GDP of Russia," you would have the career trajectory which has been utterly normalized for high-ranking bureaucrats. Since corruption is the norm, if (as an idiot) you think those Russian fellas seem just swell, what's wrong with taking their money?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Yea.. If they paid their pilots and flight staff they wouldn't have this problem.

gently caress Spirit.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Genocide Tendency posted:

Yea.. If they paid their pilots and flight staff they wouldn't have this problem.

gently caress Spirit.

Lmao whats the pay gotta be to hit a 30 dollar 1 way ticket? Jesus gently caress theyve gotta be paying their flight crews McDonalds wages.

I mean, if you are flying a regional jet like a dc-9, thats 127 passengers. If you are charging 30 bucks a ticket, thats loving peanuts. The total take for that hypothetical flight is $3810, and the lions share is going to taxes, FAA fees, and gas for your jet.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 9, 2017

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

orange juche posted:

Lmao whats the pay gotta be to hit a 30 dollar 1 way ticket? Jesus gently caress theyve gotta be paying their flight crews McDonalds wages.

And they're blaming all the delayed/cancelled flights on the pilots too.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

No way we're getting that THAAD installed there now. :(

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

Zeroisanumber posted:

Good more time for me to stock up on stimpacks and bottle caps.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

orange juche posted:

I mean, if you are flying a regional jet like a dc-9, thats 127 passengers. If you are charging 30 bucks a ticket, thats loving peanuts. The total take for that hypothetical flight is $3810, and the lions share is going to taxes, FAA fees, and gas for your jet.

I don't think that would even cover fuel.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
The goons of the aerospace, aviation, and pilot threads steered me away from trying to become a pilot like I wanted to when they showed me that the vast majority of pilots are underpaid bus drivers. You don't even start to hit livable wages until you're a senior captain at a major airline.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Like most professions, it's not a worker shortage, it's a pay shortage

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Like one of the guys working at an airport here told me, it's not a shortage of pilots, it's a shortage of pilots willing to work for poo poo.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

facialimpediment posted:

Hanford, Washington (state) looks like it had another incident at a plutonium finishing facility where a tunnel collapsed and workers are now sheltering in place and being told not to drink or eat anything. The tunnel had radioactive poo poo in it.

http://www.king5.com/mb/news/local/hanford/breaking-tunnel-at-plutonium-finishing-plant-collapses-in-hanford/438116235

For reference, it's commonly called "the most contaminated nuclear waste site in the United States" http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26658719
Hanford is also one of the places that would have had their funding reduced under the Trump budget, since it reduced funding to Superfund sites.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Kuroyama posted:

Who had Spirit Airlines as the next one to be in the news?

Passengers fought security and police at Ft Laudrdale over cancellations.

Well, on one hand, they just got told that they can't leave Florida and have to stay in the State for the foreseeable future...

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's already up and running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Press us standing by for Spiceytime, Spicey is 25 minutes late. Gonna be Russia-heavy.

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/862003053922267137

• Locked thread