Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

so many stickies. The worst was a team of 3x armamentarium strikers with lightnings everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Crucible has never been exactly balanced so I do wonder where they get their metrics from.

I guess its cause they changed something which causes people to flock to something else? Like how the Mida was untouched for so long till everyone started it using it all of a sudden. Not a cru player so I dunno.

Some of it is player perception, some of it is the top tier pvp nerds sperging out and finding the most perfect guns. Whatever the source, it gets posted on reddit and suddenly it'll be the only thing you see in crucible.

Which is why it's so stupid for Bungie to try and chase perfect parity. In a game with as many gun and ability options as Destiny has there will always be something out there that is better than everything else. You can't stop the min/maxers unless you launch a game with precisely one way to kill opponents.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its the way they go about nerfing things thats kind of the issue.

Back in the heydey or thorn, tlw, hawkmoon etc there were about a dozen viable weps and they pretty much made all of them near useless by the time roi came out.

They go too far in an effort to balance.

In that yr1 era mida was viable but was probably a tier 2 weapon. When they nerfed everything else around it of course its going to remain useful.

Dont forget either, mida only came through with the 2nd round of exotics which included adjustments to hawkmoon which was already showing range on hand cannons was king and pulses.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Menstrual Show posted:

so many stickies. The worst was a team of 3x armamentarium strikers with lightnings everywhere

Titans are the best, it is known

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Menstrual Show posted:

That's been happening way before this sticky nade though, I once did a mayhem versus 6 Arma titan strikers, it was impossible to move anywhere.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Alteisen posted:

That's been happening way before this sticky nade though, I once did a mayhem versus 6 Arma titan strikers, it was impossible to move anywhere.

Protip: you can shoot them off walls.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BlindSite posted:

Protip: you can shoot them off walls.

I know but its a little hard to shoot them when I'm ragdolling across the map when 2 land near my head.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
you haven't lived until you roll a 6 stack of gunslingers all running young spine into mayhem

pro tip: do this for iron banner

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A 6 stack of night stalkers with double smokes could be pretty abhorrent too. Coordinating a gang of jerks would probably be pretty funny for mayhem. It's going to make match making in other game modes even more punishing though. I look forward to them making the weekly game mode similarly aids like supremacy rumble.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 8, 2017

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

the good fax machine posted:

Make Tripmines Sticky Again

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

mayhem is fail aids but I will grudgingly accept it this week because it means more people will play iron banner, i hope

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009
Yea I'm not a huge fan but I will embrace through either fun police or trips everywhere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would love to see replays of 6 man groups of goons going in with trip mines or smoke bombs making everyone's life a living hell.

*six sunbreakers on pantheon.gif*

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Bettyspagh3tt1 posted:

Yea I'm not a huge fan but I will embrace through either fun police or trips everywhere.

as long as we gimmick banner i'm happy. toilet shaders and garish emblems ahoy.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'm all candlelight titan all day.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Bernie chat.mp4

I know PS4Krew is dying to know why we rag on bernie in so many gifs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i73Wz4oTECc

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh you guys are interested in bernie gifs? Well let me post what I have then!

http://i.imgur.com/HxTpYxy.gifv

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

moist turtleneck posted:

Bernie chat.mp4

I know PS4Krew is dying to know why we rag on bernie in so many gifs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i73Wz4oTECc

The "oh" at the end lmao

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey look, Jamiroquai got the titan Crota helmet

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

the good fax machine posted:

Hey look, Jamiroquai got the titan Crota helmet

Titan

Warlock

Hunter

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

Tei posted:

Titan

Warlock

Hunter

Ahh i just remembered how much i hate bad music

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The reveal stream and a possible beta announcement date is about the only thing keeping me interested for now, i gotta admit.

Bungie should have drops in heroic story scale. Would be kinda fun to dick around with some blue and green guns again.

They had some cool weapon models and interesting archetypes sprinkled in there.

I wish I kept my year one Shingen-e.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kinda wish they had vanity systems cause some of those blues and greens look pretty sick but then pvp people would probably complain or something i dunno

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

BlindSite posted:

The reveal stream and a possible beta announcement date is about the only thing keeping me interested for now, i gotta admit.

Pretty much. Playing pvp enough only to not go completely hand retarded.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Well someone figured out how to solo crota and in one sword. Pretty slick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gng2LaDYarQ

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the dumbest poo poo destiny balance does is look at flat kill numbers instead of stats like weapon user k/ds. all it takes is dipshits like demetrious or whatever that dumbass with the bowlcut is named to talk about hurfdurf the waltz is the best gun in the game or something to pretty much render any stat tracking on a gun useless. 40,000 people killing someone with the same gun will always look bad on a spreadsheet but if they're all going like .75 kda with them the gun feeling too good would be almost entirely a matter of perception. the vast majority of players play in brackets where weapon choice matters one tenth as much as situational awareness or cooldown tracking but they still slam their heads into the loot piņata hoping for a god roll Luna to Really Get Them To The Next Level.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
So many people don't realize that they are in a bad skill bracket so their 1.2 isn't the same as some other 1.2

Crucible Playbook has been overtaken by these guys lmao

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not sure how you could balance guns based on player k/d (or, put another way, skill) because there's a billion variables that go into that value. Teammate composition, map, opponent weapon selection, subclass use, engagement type.. the list is huge.

You'd somehow have to find games where everyone is exactly the same and then look for outliers.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

So many people don't realize that they are in a bad skill bracket so their 1.2 isn't the same as some other 1.2

Crucible Playbook has been overtaken built by these guys lmao

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

Bungie enployees are not 1.2s

They are 0.5s.

They tried to equip 2 exotics in the live stream and it got really weird.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
twotapping people with wol ill wills will never not be hilarious

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

I will probably run my litc lingering song for that reason. Its mayhem, primaries don't matter that much, so try for fun two shots. May have to use it with a WoL defender.

Extra fun to run with a nightstalker. Since the bubble invites supers to challenge it, having a tether on top of or infront of the bubble is a fun way to troll people into trying to super you.

Last_Taste fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 9, 2017

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The meta has always seemed to be "Whatever the streamers/youtubers recommend" because the playerbase can't think for themselves. What happened with using weapons that are fun to use. :smith:

Speaking of PvP, any advice on getting grenade kills with Nightstalker for the pvp quest? I don't really get many chances to 1-2 combo with smoke and grenade.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 9, 2017

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lol the meta is a meta for a reason guys, you'll get smoked if you don't use the right stuff.

Word travels fast and far. And it's not just streamers. It solidifies at the top because these guys are always playing each other.

I still remember bringing my doctrine into some serious sweats and getting called out for a weird loadout...and then by the end of the match half the dudes had swapped to one to try it out.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Nah, the only thing that matters is if it makes people tilt and you don't hate your life everytime you pull the trigger.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

People at the top tier don't miss so TTK actually matters

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I mean yes the meta is the meta for a reason but unless you are in the highest matchmaking bracket it's not as big of a deal.

It's exponentially more important to pay attention the meta the further you are up the ladder.

I don't really know how Destiny breaks up matchmaking but if you're playing against me you probably don't need an Icarus/RF palindrome to win ya know?

But a lot of people take it way more seriously than I do and every little advantage helps blah blah blah

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Ularg posted:

Speaking of PvP, any advice on getting grenade kills with Nightstalker for the pvp quest? I don't really get many chances to 1-2 combo with smoke and grenade.

I did it by playing Mayhem Clash, stacking discipline, and using the sphere grenades (forgot the name, not the voidwall or spike grenades). At max discipline you can throw a grenade every few seconds. Just spam those everywhere and you'll get your kills. It just takes a bit longer because the DOT grenades are unreliable killers. Make sure you have the lockdown(?) ability on for double grenade duration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flimflam Man
Apr 18, 2007

My strategy is so simple an idiot could have devised it.

Ularg posted:

The meta has always seemed to be "Whatever the streamers/youtubers recommend" because the playerbase can't think for themselves. What happened with using weapons that are fun to use. :smith:

Spike Grenade in close quarter maps strategically placed will get a lot of kills. Doubly so in Control.

• Locked thread