Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

A potential politician being afraid of having made fake IDs in an era where one of the biggest political entities running right now was caught bragging about sexual assault and did not lose a single vote is very funny to me. Refuse to acknowledge​ it if it comes up, accuse the media of fake news and nobody will care in a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

A potential politician being afraid of having made fake IDs in an era where one of the biggest political entities running right now was caught bragging about sexual assault and did not lose a single vote is very funny to me. Refuse to acknowledge​ it if it comes up, accuse the media of fake news and nobody will care in a week.

If you're in Utah please do run against Mia Love, and come give me illegal cable.

I'm 1/4 Mexican so it's cool.

Bles.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The cable/bandwidth industry is super evil and ripping them off is actually as heroic of a public service as helping a battered woman escape her husband :patriot:

quote:

My mom is the oldest of my grandfather's 7 children. The youngest child, or one of my uncles is easily my closest family member besides my wife. To give an idea of the age gap, my mom is in her mid 60s and Uncle is in his early 40s.

Grandpa is a Silent Generationer, a Korean war vet and most important to this story, an ardent Catholic now in his mid 80s. Grandpa is put on a pedestal by the family as the greatest person walking the Earth. As I've become an adult I am finding this to be quite far from the truth.

10+ years ago when I had first moved out of my parent's house to live with my gf at the time, grandpa made a comment about how I shouldn't be moving in with a woman before marriage! This pissed me off and started to color my perception of him a bit differently than I always had. I believed he had no right to comment on the choices I make in my life.

Little things like this have continued to be revealed to me as I've gotten older. I've suspected for most of my life that both pairs of grand parents wanted little to do with me and my sister. My dad revealed that this is basically true, they would call grandpa up and ask if they could bring us over to spend time. Grandpa was always too busy attending to his more important grandchildren. See where I'm going with this? Being female means you're basically worthless in grandpa's eyes. Also if you're​ what would be considered middle class, you're worthless too.

There is a divide in the family between the privileged and the regular middle class folks. Grandpa was a successful businessman​ and has poo poo loads of money in the bank. Naturally he favors his children that are "successful" and also male. Grandpa always gave his attention to the first male grandchild.

Now back to the uncle I mentioned at the start of the story. He is 10 years younger than his nearest sibling. Grandpa told him this week that he was basically an accident as they only planned to have 6 children. Whoops! I can now see how uncle has been treated as the unwanted child his whole life. Uncle is as close as a brother and I haven't called him "uncle" for 15+ years.

Grandpa owns a cabin that the family at large shares. Uncle told me that several years ago, grandpa went to the cabin with uncle's 3 other brothers and left him behind.

The confession is I think my grandpa is a big ol piece of poo poo but can never express that sentiment to anyone in my family for fear of being shunned because in nearly everyone's eyes, grandpa is perfect. He's not, turns out he's a miosgynist and possibly a closet racist. Hopefully this makes some sense and isn't just incoherent rambling. I don't really feel better after writing all this either.

You can object to things your grandpa does without condemning him entirely as a person. Try doing that with some of your relatives that you trust more or feel are less likely to take offense -- your mom and uncle are good bets here -- and see if the resulting conversation helps you feel any better.

Also we've got a followup from Carl's boss.

quote:

Gapeboss here. Everything with Carl went bananas.

I had settled in my mind that I was just going to leave it and if Carl tried to start a conversation with me I would very quickly explain I had no interest in discussing the email.

Then, I got home and read all the thread replies about HR and started panicking. I live in a country without a culture of suing your employer, so our HR department is a 2-man band on the floor above mine. Went in, told them exactly what had happened and (at their request) produced the email. They were professional, took it seriously, said it would be handled, and thanked me for being professional. Felt a lot better.

A few days later both guys resigned. I've just received a weekend phone call from work (has not ever happened before), explaining that the two HR guys were joking about the Carl situation with other employees they know from outside of work, during work hours and on work property. Somebody overheard, reported to higher management, and after three days of negotiation they both resigned to avoid being fired.

My boss ended the phone call by saying "So basically... Carl keeps his job. We can't fire him when we have no HR department, and our two guys on the case were basically fired for unethical behaviour relating to his case. Can you handle working with Carl or are we going to have a problem?"

At this rate Carl will probably end up promoted, and god knows what will happen when he has all that extra dominatrix money burning a hole in his pocket.

what

in what universe can you not fire someone who caused their boss to get emails of their wide open rear end in a top hat because the entire HR department is also fired? Just ask the guys who fired HR to fire Carl. "Yes, we're going to have a problem. Fire him please." This isn't complicated.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Bad follow up :rolleyes: In 3 weeks it will be "Guys what do I do? Carl has just been made CEO of the company and I'm now his assistant"

Should have taken it in a different direction.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Hedrigall posted:

In 3 weeks it will be "Guys what do I do? Carl has just been made CEO of the company and I'm now his rear endistant"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, you were better off just not following up because that's even more unbelievable than the original unbelievable story.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Carl's getting a promotion? Atta boy

Haha didn't think you'd listen to me

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Better Carl's Hole

That's the best one I've got

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

loquacius posted:

in what universe

this one

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If the followup is true those are also the only two male HR people I have ever heard of in my life

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Didnt i say several times to promote him? Jastiger wins again.

Bone grass
Feb 3, 2012

gapeboss posted:

My boss ended the phone call by saying "So basically... Carl keeps his job. We can't fire him when we have no HR department, and our two guys on the case were basically fired for unethical behaviour relating to his case. Can you handle working with Carl or are we going to have a problem?"

Amazing :allears: I don't even care that it's made up

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, you were better off just not following up because that's even more unbelievable than the original unbelievable story.

loquacius posted:

If the followup is true those are also the only two male HR people I have ever heard of in my life

:agreed:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

HR is a plague. They're like the adult version of hall monitors, only instead of being able to take your recess away they can ruin your life forever.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Solice Kirsk posted:

HR is a plague. They're like the adult version of hall monitors, only instead of being able to take your recess away they can ruin your life forever.

Cool, so who did you sexually harass?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Cool, so who did you sexually harass?

Sexually harass? I wish! No, mine is an HR story much..........damnit.I forgot theTroy McLure quote...

edit:
And I one time had to argue with HR about reporting my hours worked.....when I was salaried and commissions and it made no difference what so ever to anyone, but that one HR person. HR is just a job created to have more jobs.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 9, 2017

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Solice Kirsk posted:

Sexually harass? I wish! No, mine is an HR story much..........damnit.I forgot theTroy McLure quote...

edit:
And I one time had to argue with HR about reporting my hours worked.....when I was salaried and commissions and it made no difference what so ever to anyone, but that one HR person. HR is just a job created to have more jobs.

Unlike all other office jobs, which are productive and valuable to the human race.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Data ain't gonna entry itself. :colbert:

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think it's time to send your own gaping rear end in a top hat pics to your boss, confession goon.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
rear end in a top hat grandfather goon, just do whatever you can to suck up to him now. Play along with everything he says, lie about living with other people before marriage even if you are, promise him a male grandson, whatever you think will make him happy. He'll be dead soon and defending your morals (or lack of them in his eyes) will do nothing but get you cut out of the will. Call him a dick all you want when he's dead and you have some of his money.

rear end gape goon, you've made the same mistake people here make when their first story/thread generates a lot of interest and they feel like they need to produce more material and just start making stuff up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
you should hold a big family event and get everyone there and publicly call out the granddad. You're not getting anything in the will anyway cause a big scene imo

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jose posted:

you should hold a big family event and get everyone there and publicly call out the granddad. You're not getting anything in the will anyway cause a big scene imo

That's quitter talk. I was basically written out of my similar grandfather's will when he heard I voted for Al Gore in 2000, but all it took is being willing to listen to him parrot what alex jones or glenn beck said recently and agree with it a couple times a year and I'm his favorite now.

Do you really think "calling out" an 80 year old is going to do anything or even make him feel bad? I mean, I could say "that's racist grandpa, you shouldn't say that" every time and he'd just laugh, tell me to gently caress off, and go back to watching golf.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he's a war veteran get some explosives to go off while you berate him

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

loquacius posted:

Just ask the guys who fired HR to fire Carl. "Yes, we're going to have a problem. Fire him please." This isn't complicated.

How did you manage to interpret "I had settled in my mind that I was just going to leave it" as "Yes, we're going to have a problem"? The boss doesn't want to fire Carl, the confessor doesn't want to fire Carl, and presumably Carl doesn't want to be fired either. But forums poster loquacius wants Carl fired so better start with the paperwork!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Doctor Malaver posted:

How did you manage to interpret "I had settled in my mind that I was just going to leave it" as "Yes, we're going to have a problem"? The boss doesn't want to fire Carl, the confessor doesn't want to fire Carl, and presumably Carl doesn't want to be fired either. But forums poster loquacius wants Carl fired so better start with the paperwork!

Honestly I'd just let it go and let it work itself out. If the guy sends his gaping rear end in a top hat to one person he'll do it again, let them deal with the hassle/responsibility of getting the guy fired. Pass the buck (or in this case, the rear end).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Honestly I'd just let it go and let it work itself out. If the guy sends his gaping rear end in a top hat to one person he'll do it again, let them deal with the hassle/responsibility of getting the guy fired. Pass the buck (or in this case, the rear end).

Did you ever dream boldly enough to think that one day you'd write these words?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Doctor Malaver posted:

Is that your reading of this somehow :confused:

What happened is that corporate wanted to fire him, but then they had to fire all of HR so whoops guess nobody's getting fired now because that's absolutely how that works

also what odd dystopian world do you live in where "fire that guy" is not a reasonable reaction to "my employee told his dominatrix she could send me naked pictures of him"

quote:

So my friend just got out of jail for murder a few months ago and he doesn't want to hang out with me or any of his old friends anymore. I get that he wants to focus on family right now, but he refuses to even speak to any of us. We went to visit him, some of us were character witnesses for him at his trial, and all of us supported him as best we could during his trial and while he was in. He was in there for 7 years, and we lost a lot of friends since then, but the ones of us that made have all changed our lives for the better and want to help him get back on his feet. From what I understand he's just sitting around his house smoking pot and drinking.

I guess the real problem is I want him to see how far I pulled myself up from when he went in. If it hadn't been for an argument with my then girlfriend I would have been in the same fight that landed him in prison and back then I would have been quicker than him to stab someone. I realize my annoyance of him not wanting to see us is coming from a selfish place, but it still sucks losing someone who used to be one of my closest friends. It's almost like he didn't get out at all.

I dunno man I've never been to jail for seven years. I guess SOME me-time is a reasonable thing to ask but he's gonna get in a rut if he lets it go on for too long. Lay off for now but not for good, I say.

quote:

Fifteen years ago I slit my wrist while I was on acid. I didn't do this because I was suicidal, but because I decided to attempt a pact with the devil.

I wanted power. I wanted to watch my enemies waste away while I sat upon a throne, laughing at anyone who dared to cross me.

I let the blood pool on the road I'd been walking on, fascinated by the way droplets of it would crawl away like ants in formation. In that moment, I did indeed feel powerful. Although it was around 2am, I could see as though it were noon, and I could hear every little nocturnal creature going about its business. I could even smell people as they lay sleeping in their houses, unaware of what was happening outside of their own little pointless lives.

I made it home, and tripped for a little while longer.

Then the realization of what I'd done to myself, as well as the pain, crept up on me slowly as I came down over the next couple of hours. I was still bleeding, since I had sliced lengthwise. I wasn't trying to hit an artery, but man that was a bad idea. When I originally pushed the blade to my wrist in my drugged up state of mind, I thought of the resulting scar as a sort of "mark of the beast" or something. As I sat in my bed, applying pressure and wrapping gauze, I was disgusted with myself. I didn't even see Satan when I did it! Wasn't that always supposed to be a part of the deal?

For the next few months I uncharacteristically wore long sleeved shirts, paranoid that my family knew what I did. I applied ointments every time I went into the bathroom.

Over time, I forgave myself. I began to look at the scar not as something to be proud of, like I once thought it would be, but as a reminder to not be an idiot.

I stopped doing drugs. All drugs, even caffeine. I quit school, because getting a law degree was no longer appealing to me. I wasn't interested in law, and I didn't want to do something I'd hate for the rest of my life. I got a job at a nursery, and quickly worked my way up through the ranks to manager. The owner was an unbelievably pleasant old widow who just loved plants. They were the children she never had.

When she passed away, she left the shop to me. The place had been struggling for a few years, but after I took over business boomed. In addition to our usual repeat customers, there was an influx of new ones who would comment on the vibrant colours of the flowers and distinct taste of the herbs. There was not one person who would walk into my nursery without buying something, even just a packet of carrot seeds.

With the profits, I bought a local pub. I always heard that buying a bar is one of the worst investments you can possibly consider, but I was making enough money with just a dinky little plant store that I thought it'd be worth it. And it totally was.

I turned what was once a stagnating dive into a hip joint, my schtick being fresh vegetables from my nursery making their way into dishes at my pub.

I bought a few more businesses after that, and began getting into the politics of my small town. I will spare you the details, since this has been a really long confession already, but I'm constantly being badgered to run for mayor in the next election.

I am freaked right the gently caress out of my mind. All those years ago, I asked for power. Now I am rich and successful, and being called on to lead a town with no actual experience.

I even made the mistake of donating a ridiculous amount to various charities around here, which only raised my approval rating.

I've done nothing wrong. I've only ever tried to do good since that night. But I'm going to Hell, because I sold my soul.

Man small-city politics is so weird, why would people want a restaurant owner to run for mayor (the obvious answer is diabolical influence)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If that is all your soul got you that's a pretty lovely deal.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i've got multiple pm's in my inbox of a goons prolapsed anus ama

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Pretty sure the devil doesn't exist so you're probably ok

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If you're still worried, do something like kidnap and murder a small child and wait to see what happens. If you only get more popular, you know something's fishy

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
poo poo, just create a fake email address and resend the pictures to YOUR boss. Scale the problem up, isn't that Middle Management 101?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Jose posted:

i've got multiple pm's in my inbox of a goons prolapsed anus ama

Lmao

EDIT: LMPAO

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

loquacius posted:

Is that your reading of this somehow :confused:

What happened is that corporate wanted to fire him, but then they had to fire all of HR so whoops guess nobody's getting fired now because that's absolutely how that works

also what odd dystopian world do you live in where "fire that guy" is not a reasonable reaction to "my employee told his dominatrix she could send me naked pictures of him"

We are in agreement about what happened but not in what should happen next.

The boss can't/won't fire Carl and asks the confessor "Can you handle working with Carl or are we going to have a problem?" This is euphemism for "Are you going to make me problems?" Your advice is to respond - Yes sir, this will be a problem and I insist that Carl is fired.

I live in a world where this is the worst possible response for the confessor's career, especially since the confessor doesn't have a problem with Carl. Honestly you should give up on career-related advice and stick with giving emotional advice. You're doing fine with that.

I also live in a world where I manage people and if something weird like this happened, I would evaluate the situation with foremost concern being the operation of my department. Maybe I'd fire Carl / have him fired, maybe I wouldn't. Depends on how difficult it would be to replace him, how it would affect the deadlines and how much risk there would be of him doing something similar that would involve other co-workers. There are no foregone conclusions here.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

yeah I eat rear end posted:

rear end gape goon,

Mods?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

"Are we going to have a problem?" sounds more like a thinly veiled threat to the confessor than a genuine question, like usually when someone asks you that and you say "yeah, we are going to have a problem" I would expect to be told to clean out my desk and be escorted from the premises

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

purple death ray posted:

"Are we going to have a problem?" sounds more like a thinly veiled threat to the confessor than a genuine question, like usually when someone asks you that and you say "yeah, we are going to have a problem" I would expect to be told to clean out my desk and be escorted from the premises

Yeah. It would be hilarious tho if the confessor made a fuss and got fired over it, which would make three people fired over the anus pic. Everybody except the guy who sent it! Like some curse... :O

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Before you get fired you see the ring

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Hey, do you guys want to go down to The Crusty Swallow? I know it's a lovely old dive bar, but some guy just bought it and he uses fresh vegetables from his wildly successful plant nursery!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Welcome to Carl's corner office; have a seat.

Mayoral candidate, you know what you need to do to clench this election.