Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

John Walker of all people gave it a good, RPS Recommended, review anyway.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/09/prey-review/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Serf posted:

Last night I found my way back into the Neuromod division and discovered a whole second floor of stuff I missed the first time! I was in Halden Graves' office trying to get the neuromod licence DRM removed, and after I did it, the Nightmare spawned. January said something about "installing alien neuromods" which I have not done. So far I've gone 100% no-psi (except for the slowdown ability, but I picked that up after this event). Anyways I saw the Nightmare's awareness indicator way off in the distance, but it never got close. Just hung out there until it despawned. I'm a huge coward, so I'm glad I didn't have to fight it.

My question is: is installing alien powers the trigger to get the Nightmare to come after you? Also, the satellite January mentioned: if I use it, does that get rid of the Nightmare?

This happened to me too- I think the action you take is meant to trigger that event, but the dialogue that is also triggered isn't really specific to the circumstance.

There is more than one but the satellite will make em run off (or appear)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I got 60 Organic Material and every fabrication plan that I have that uses Organic Material also uses Metal and I see no reason to use metal to craft anything other than more Neuromods.
Are there any useful plans later on that use organics but not metal?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Radaway used organics and no metal, but it uses all of 1 organics so basically you will never run out of it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anybody here dislike the demo but enjoy the full game? I'm trying to understand why people are making GBS threads on the demo, technical issues aside.

I loved the demo (found 17 neuromods). It demonstrated most of the game's strength. The interconnected world space, the systems interactions, the exploration, etc etc

I don't get how you have a bad reaction to the demo but enjoy the full game (which I've seen several people do, for reasons not related to controls/consoles).

Was it that people had different expectations for what it was (e.g., a mundane FPS)? Something their first impression didn't live up to?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Soda contains exotic material.

Exotic material come from the aliens.

The aliens come from aliens eating the volunteers.

They kill people to make more aliens, to farm these aliens for exotic material, to make more soda bottles (and stuff like the neuromods)

Soylent Green is people!.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Maan, I wish I wasn't such a massive pussy when it comes to horror games.
Prey is loving amazing and it's the kind of game I usually would binge on for a long time but I'm constantly finding excuses to take breaks from it because I'm too spooked by the possibility of getting spooked.

Even the Psychoscope with the first chip you find isn't helping me as much as I thought it would.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

The Lone Badger posted:

Radaway used organics and no metal, but it uses all of 1 organics so basically you will never run out of it.

There's only like 3~5 spots (which are tiny) in the game that you can suffer radiation poisoning besides Cystoids (which are easy to kill) so they're pretty worthless

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

honestly I'm surprised he liked it, given how this game can get tough and he crapped out hard on Hyper Light Drifter because he got lost and it was too tough.

navigating GUTS sucks purely because of Cystoids goddamn they are the worst thing ever

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Being able to create stairs with the goo gun seems p. broken so far. That and being able to pick up a leverage 1 item and throwing it into a leverage 2 to move them also seems broken.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Junkenstein posted:

drat, I guess in these harsh review times one has to accept old enemies under his wings.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Alan Is More Upset posted:

being able to pick up a leverage 1 item and throwing it into a leverage 2 to move them also seems broken.

Ah poo poo I never tried that

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I wonder if the no kills is the alternative playstyle.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I finally came across Walton Goggins in the game. I like how the "choice" you could make there wasn't really called out as such. You can help the guy out, or read his rap sheet and decide not to. I'm not sure if it will lead to anything later on, but the fact that you could just wander by and not do anything was pretty cool to me.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

uber_stoat posted:

I don't know if the crew quarters people every actually go there so you can talk to them, but there is a survivor hideout in the cargo bay.

I don't think they do go where you mention, I took a trip there right before the ending to check again, in case of any dialogue. Do they all end up on the shuttle if you take the evacuate option at the end?

I wonder if many people will just totally miss the ending sequence and final choice after the credits, and just assume the ending is super super short? I nearly did and would have been really let down if I hadn't waited.
Perhaps I should put that in the op.

I liked the ending, very neat, I guess it broke the 5th wall. And it could go into a sequel with a neat premise. Seeing how humans and Typhon interact with the hybrid Morgan (?) could be interesting.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 9, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Serf posted:

I finally came across Walton Goggins in the game. I like how the "choice" you could make there wasn't really called out as such. You can help the guy out, or read his rap sheet and decide not to. I'm not sure if it will lead to anything later on, but the fact that you could just wander by and not do anything was pretty cool to me.

I'd already opened the armory with my crossbow before I even turned the corner to speak with him and he was like, "oh, I was gonna trade you the code but I guess you're good, huh?"

I let him out because leaving him locked up next to the rapidly expanding alien murder web felt tantamount to killing him.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I wonder if the secret ending is "beat the game without attacking or killing anything".

For those who have finished it, does it seem like pacifist run would be even remotely possible on, say, the easiest difficulty? Or are there forced fights that have absolutely no way to bypass them?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I THINK you have to kill one thing because I couldn't find another way There's a technopath blocking the door to a plot required path but there might be another way that I didn't find

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also I managed to die from the helicopter blades completely accidentally. Whoops.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Does taking typhon neuromods lead you to a "bad" ending or something?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
What type of neuromods you take barely affects the ending. If you want cheevos though stick with human then do a typhon only run since they rolled them both into one cheev

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Dr. Carwash posted:

Does taking typhon neuromods lead you to a "bad" ending or something?

All I'm hearing is that its an achievement if you don't take any and also you get something post credits.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd already opened the armory with my crossbow before I even turned the corner to speak with him and he was like, "oh, I was gonna trade you the code but I guess you're good, huh?"

I let him out because leaving him locked up next to the rapidly expanding alien murder web felt tantamount to killing him.

if you talk to him eventually he says something about his record, that he was helping kids get out of a bad situation and the mob basically got him arrested and charged with all those crimes when they realized what he was doing. he could be lying but it sounds plausible

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wonder if the Looking Glass tech is partially based on Typhon tech, the inventor seems to go more and more insane due to the screens, and the phantoms ask about what you see in the glass.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Skippy McPants posted:

I did the same thing and then let him out as well. He was appreciative, but didn't actually leave the room to go down to the cargo bay like other surivors. Much later on I came back through the same area and he was still standing there, but a phantom had spawned in the same room which killed him before I realized what was happening.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I did the same thing and then let him out as well. He was appreciative, but didn't actually leave the room to go down to the cargo bay like other surivors. Much later on I came back through the same area and he was still standing there, but a phantom had spawned in the same room which killed him before I realized what was happening.

Side note, in the "Exotic Materials" section, I think I saw a poster with his name on it saying why he volunteered?

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

What's the best pro gamer tip for technocrats? They are munching my butt right now.

Don't forget to scan everything, it will tell you if a monster has immunities or weaknesses. For Technos I go with an EMP grenade to open, then it's abilities don't work and it floats around like an idiot while I shoot it with a shotgun.

Bamf
Jul 20, 2000

I've got an OCD inspired question about scanning. I've scanned everything except I'm missing one rank in one thing, which I'll put in spoilers:

The Corrupted Device scan, I'm missing one. It says it's something that's corrupted by a nearby Technopath's influence. The only one I've seen was the door you can't go through in Life Support before you kill the nearby Technopath. This isn't the same thing as the Corrupted Operators.

Does anyone know where a second instance of this Corrupted Device would be? Does it occur in a non-hard coded situation if there's a Technopath nearby?

It's the only scan I seem to be missing at the moment.

Thanks!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ymgve posted:

I wonder if the Looking Glass tech is partially based on Typhon tech, the inventor seems to go more and more insane due to the screens, and the phantoms ask about what you see in the glass.

The game engine renders the mirrors using portals that is somewhat how the mimics can mimic in the lore. But thats just a happy coincidence.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Crustashio posted:

Is it normal when you enter the crew quarters from the arboretum that the game spawns a nightmare directly in front of you? I had no choice but to kill that thing, thankfully the gloo gun + shotgun seems to work well.

This happened to me too, haven't been speccing correctly and am pretty underpowered (human only neuromods) but still trying to plow through the game. Kept getting my rear end beat. Backtracked to find a bunch of areas now have harder guys, futzed around for a bit then went back and it was gone. Now I'm replaying Crew Quarters because I found out you can save the mind controlled crew members after killing half of them.

Despite all that I still loving love this game, it really does feel like SS3. All the frustrating stuff is part of the learning experience for the next playthrough.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
If you're going human only I think the best route after getting max inventory space is maxing out gunsmith and security weapon damage so the shotgun does something like 120 damage per shot

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Fun intro thing

if you place an item outside the elevator and ride it up, it'll still be there, but the same isn't true of the helicopter ride. A note in the sim lab states that someone's supposed to make sure the chopper pad is clean of objects while the ride is going on.

Yeah I noticed that too. I was stacking all sorts of things there to see what would change. I have to imagine you're overworking that electrician to death as she has to keep coming back on stage when you ride the elevator back down. It's so weird to think the elevator is just sitting there while everything moves about.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Did anyone scan the Apex? January warns you not to. I couldn't find a way to do it though

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

n4 posted:

Did anyone scan the Apex? January warns you not to. I couldn't find a way to do it though

I tried to do it through a window in the Garden area, but couldn't. Would love to know if there is a way.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Anyone try to destroy January off the bat? What happens?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lakbay posted:

Anyone try to destroy January off the bat? What happens?

Yeah, there is a cheeve for doing it. Nothing immediately happens but there might be ramifications later in the game.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Who talks you through the main quest then? Or does the fabricator just make another January

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Who talks you through the main quest then? Or does the fabricator just make another January

He's dead for good so you never get those calls. Apparently December lives as well but I dunno what they do exactly.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
This game. Now I gotta do that on my next playthrough and see if I can actually complete the main story or if something else happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm not sure any enemy is actually required to be killed. Can you bypass the elevator and never use it by just taking a long way round with trips through the guts? During my second playthrough a technopath locked down the power plant when going thru life support but that didn't happen on my first playthrough. Regarding the ending If you destroy the station instead of using the nullwave device you can simply knock out alex with a stun gun and not kill him. The null wave you have to kill january so that's not a valid option.