Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Diggle's is the least believable anyway because the military doesn't train hand to hand that seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Man has to have a hobby, and if you are muscle giant like Dig is, why not hand to hand fighting? :v:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just kind of accept that Diggle is the Hollywood John McLane special ops bad rear end.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I just kind of accept that Diggle is the Hollywood John McLane special ops bad rear end.

But that's what made Die Hard so special at the time.

John McLane wasn't a super soldier. He wins by being sneaky and clever. And with a bit of luck.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

True. Its Sunday. I'm dumb on Sunday.

Well, I'm always dumb, but I'm also intellectually lazy on Sunday.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Aphrodite posted:

But that's what made Die Hard so special at the time.

John McLane wasn't a super soldier. He wins by being sneaky and clever. And with a bit of luck.

Until the last two where he became a special agent super soldier somehow.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Earlier in the show's run, Diggle wasn't fighting like an MMA-trained badass. He largely just windmilled the hell out of people and/or shot at them. Which works because Ramsey has the imposing muscle to make it work.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I can give Diggle a pass. He's spent his life training to become a killing machine. He was in the army, serving several tours in Afghanistan, and then went into security, probably training hand-to-hand combat and some more shooting as well. You'd think someone like Moira would seek out the best of the best when hiring a bodyguard for they wayward kids.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Phenotype posted:

I remember posting something like this when the episode aired, and being a little pissed I was taking Felicity's side, but here it is: She didn't break up with him because he didn't tell her about his son, she broke up with him because he didn't even THINK about discussing it with her when he decided he needed to keep his son far away.
He was given an ultimatum though, keep it a secret or never see his son again. It's an impossible situation, and it's annoying that the show seems to refuse to acknowledge that aspect of it. Felicity certainly has plenty of reason to feel that Oliver keeps things from her, and that he doesn't trust her, but the situation with William is a really bad example of it.

Overall I thought this was a great episode though. Getting to see a bit more of Dinah was nice, she's really had very little to do until now. The Curtis/Rene team-up is always great too. It's such a cliche but the actors really pull it off quite well.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Diggle took a few seasons to become much more than an armed support unit. In that time, Oliver was training him personally, his transition to Spartan made more sense than Thea's to Speedy.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Roy had Mirakuru, Thea had a crash-course/brainwashing in League of Assassins training by Dadcolm.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So is Thea not around because Arrow can't afford her with all the other supporting characters?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm sure they can afford her, but since her storyline kind of finished now not using her is a decent savings per episode. She's been considered main cast since season 1 so that's pricey.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And there's something to be said for just moving on past characters if you don't have anything for them. It's better Thea got written out in a way she can easily come back from rather than just get sidelined too long and get damaged as a character.

But also, yeah, you don't want to pay an extra main cast money.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

irlZaphod posted:

He was given an ultimatum though, keep it a secret or never see his son again. It's an impossible situation, and it's annoying that the show seems to refuse to acknowledge that aspect of it. Felicity certainly has plenty of reason to feel that Oliver keeps things from her, and that he doesn't trust her, but the situation with William is a really bad example of it.

I don't think you really read what I wrote. Keeping William a secret was not what she couldn't accept, it was his actions after everyone knew about him. He decided to keep William far away from him and even taped a video confession for the kid, and only THEN talked about it with Felicity. If she's going to be his wife, then she felt that he should have been open enough to come to her saying "I think we need to keep William far away from this" and asked for her feelings about it, instead of deciding everything all on his own. To her, after everything else she's seen from Oliver, that was proof positive that he was never going to be able to share his life with her the way she needed him to.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Their agreement with Willa Holland was for 14 episodes this season. So i'm sure she'll pop back up before the end of the year.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Narcissus1916 posted:

Their agreement with Willa Holland was for 14 episodes this season. So i'm sure she'll pop back up before the end of the year.

This begs the obvious question. I don't feel like counting, how many has she been in so far?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Aquasnake posted:

This begs the obvious question. I don't feel like counting, how many has she been in so far?

According to the Arrow Wikia, 12, with another where she spoke on the phone.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm nervous the show will think they need to up the stakes by murdering someone this year. The team and new cast have worked so well together I really don't want to lose a single person.

Especially given that the CWVerse shows go to the murdered character well a little too often to make it useful.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Arrow's slightly innoculated against that since killing someone isn't really "upping" anything for them. Theyve killed off someone almost every season.

Of course they've killed off someone almost every season. So that's worrying. But usually they do it more as a mid season plot device rather than an end of season shocker. So we might have gotten past the danger zone. We really don't need Prometheus to kill anyone to up the emotional stakes. Especially now that he has William.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The producers say the usual "Everyone may not make it out alive!" thing about the finale, but with a bunch of villains returning for it it doesn't necessarily mean it's a cast member.

We can be pretty sure Rene, Dinah and other Dinah (have they ever mentioned whether Black Siren goes by Laurel or her real name?) are in the clear.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They've done way too much work with Curtis to kill him. He, Dinah, and Rene should be safe. I think Dig and Felicity are safe after the Laurel/grave tease. So the most likely candidates would be Thea or maybe Quentin.

But, yeah, theres so many potential people they could bring back to kill that even if we knew they were going to kill someone that wouldn't necessarily mean the main cast. Rory and Nyssa are viable candidates even without going into spoilers.

But I still contend Chase has already done more than enough damage that he doesn't need to kill anyone else. Except probably Evelyn. She might be doomed.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I hope they don't kill Thea to write her out, just have her leave town or something. Ollie has lost enough family members. :smith:

e: The Lance family have had enough deaths also.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I genuinely think that killing her or anyone else will just play as overkill and unnecessary and risk hurting the entire Prometheus storyline.

Like, someone can die in battle later on while I think it is unnecessary and would play badly, it would be one thing. But if Chase just kills Thea or Quentin for more ways to hurt Oliver I think it will be overkill and spoil what they've done.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

They've done way too much work with Curtis to kill him. He, Dinah, and Rene should be safe. I think Dig and Felicity are safe after the Laurel/grave tease. So the most likely candidates would be Thea or maybe Quentin.

But, yeah, theres so many potential people they could bring back to kill that even if we knew they were going to kill someone that wouldn't necessarily mean the main cast. Rory and Nyssa are viable candidates even without going into spoilers.

But I still contend Chase has already done more than enough damage that he doesn't need to kill anyone else. Except probably Evelyn. She might be doomed.

Evelyn is pretty kill worthy, though if she really is the wunderkind that she was made out to be, having her take up the mantle of Prometheus might be interesting (assuming Chase dies)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think I'd like to see Evelyn get defeated by the other recruits and they spare her life because they were once her friend. Either put her in an Argus prison or leave her out there as an ambiguous vigilante who Oliver and the team want to find a way to reach and reform. There's enough to Evelyn's character both good and bad that I'd like to see them work with that somehow.

But she might just die to show Chase doesn't give a poo poo about anyone or anything. But that seems like overkill after he killed his own wife.

Again, I think the work's been done on Chase so no one should have to die besides him. And fundamentally I think all the focus they've done on Oliver being a killer means he'll find a way not to kill Chase.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's going to shoot him with a Lou Gehrig's Disease arrow.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If this were a cable tv show I'd say that William was doomed, but I'm hoping that's too grim for the CW.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'm hoping Thea suits up again long enough to put two in Evelyn's chest.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, killing William is just too hosed up and dark, even for Arrow. Especially since he's utterly undeveloped as a character so it would come off like them creating a child just to murder him. That would be messed up.

LongDarkNight posted:

I'm hoping Thea suits up again long enough to put two in Evelyn's chest.

That would also be acceptable.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
When Evelyn initially, abruptly, betrayed the Arrow team I was hopeful it was a ploy for Oliver to have someone 'inside' with Prometheus.

Alas.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Your monthly reminder: Berlanti has said that killing Thea is the one bridge the show will never cross. His reasoning is that Ollie's already lost enough family.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
The only way they write out Thea is if she goes to live with Roy happily ever after.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wasn't Roy announced as coming back this year?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Wasn't Roy announced as coming back this year?

IIRC, yes. I think he was even shown in the sizzle reel for the final stretch of the season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POfJZGqdjDM

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Yeah, I'm really glad they won't kill of Thea on that basis. Honestly, don't kill anyone. The cast is kinda bloated right now, but they're making it work with rotating out people and setting some aside based on the story. Everyone we've got is great and honestly I just don't want to watch everyone brood as they deal with yet another death in the group.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I could see Rene leaving to make more room for Dinah Drake. I like him but he had a good story arc and he can have a happy farewell by reuniting with his daughter. I'd rather see Curtis go because he is annoying but somehow I feel like his story isn't complete yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rene doesn't actually have his daughter back yet and Curtis needs to win his husband back and Dinah has to steal Ollie's heart away from the blonde succubus.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
They should just lock Felicity in Slades cell when they take him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Watch out, Rene's daughter is going to turn into a pet cat thanks to barry allen, time fucker.

• Locked thread