Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

T-Bone posted:

The 90s Red Wings were 1-4 against the other great teams from its era (Devils, Avalanche). I'd take the 2001 Avalanche or 2000 Devils over either of their Cup teams.

Yeah, the 90s Wings teams are impressive for the cups they won, but they were nowhere near the 2002 Wings team which was a nuclear absurdity.

Whoever wins has to take on those late 70s CSKA teams for "best hockey team ever ever"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

And they got swept out of the finals.

They lost to the Avs in six in the conference finals. They'd then win the next the cup the next two seasons. I'm not seeing how that team was somehow worse than the 2002 squad that had 116pts and beat the all world Hurricanes in the finals. Admittedly the conference finals were really the cup finals that year, but they just scraped by the Avs in 7.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Here's my drive-by playoff posting hot take:

I legitimately do not know how the team I watched last night even made the playoffs, let alone held a 3-1 series lead over the President's Cup winners in the second round.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So Sidney Crosby went head first into the boards last night and looked dazed standing up, but he kept right on playing. After the game, he was asked if he was evaluated for a concussion and he said something like, "Yes, I was, standard stuff." Pens coach was asked if Sidney was checked for a concussion and he said NO.

:crossarms:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

The 95-96 Red Wings had 131 points in a time before the shootout. That's one off the record set by the 76-77 Canadiens.

They also narrowly avoided getting eliminated by St.Louis and needed 6 games to dust off 8th seed WInnpeg, and they didn't even make the cup finals.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Cartoon Man posted:

So Sidney Crosby went head first into the boardss last night and looked dazed standing up, but he kept right on playing. He was asked if he was evaluated for a concussion and he said something like, "Yes, I was, standard stuff." Pens coach was asked if Sidney was checked for a concussion and he said NO.

Sid can't remember anything with the head blows he's taken. I'm inclined to trust Sully.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They could both be right.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

ThinkTank posted:

They lost to the Avs in six in the conference finals. They'd then win the next the cup the next two seasons. I'm not seeing how that team was somehow worse than the 2002 squad that had 116pts and beat the all world Hurricanes in the finals. Admittedly the conference finals were really the cup finals that year, but they just scraped by the Avs in 7.

You mean the 2002 squad that had Luc Robitaille on the 4th line? The one that had like 9 hall of famers on it? The one that is better than the two 90's Red Wings teams that also won Stanley cups which is what this argument is about?

e: scraping by Colorado is chashing one of the best goalies of all time in the 2nd period of a game 7

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They also narrowly avoided getting eliminated by St.Louis and needed 6 games to dust off 8th seed WInnpeg, and they didn't even make the cup finals.

Those hotshot 2002 Red Wings went down 2-0 to the Canucks in the first round before waking up. I'm not saying they weren't a good team because of course they were phenomenal, just that it's hardly cut and dry that the 2002 team was the best rendition of that franchise.

With that said, it must be nice to have that debate about your team. :smith:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's the play:

http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/sidney-crosby-has-another-injury-scare-with-headfirst-dive-into-boards-stays-in-game-050817

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/861739677388349440

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, full stop, if you didn't win the cup, you ain't in the argument.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Teemu Pokemon posted:

You mean the 2002 squad that had Luc Robitaille on the 4th line? The one that had like 9 hall of famers on it? The one that is better than the two 90's Red Wings teams that also won Stanley cups which is what this argument is about?

For real, the question of best team ever ever is between the ?76-77? Montreal Canadiens, one of those ridiculous mid-80s Oilers teams and the 01-02 Red Wings.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I said it in the GDT last night, but I'm not sure the Penguins even want to win at this point. Especially after that tumble Crosby took into the boards, pieces might start falling off their dudes if they had to play another dozen games.

Really what I'm saying is that the humanitarian thing is for the Caps to win.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Aphrodite posted:

They could both be right.
"Standard stuff" is "fuckall", so yeah I'm going with this.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2001 Avalanche best team beats any team in a 7 game series period full stop.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm so glad I got to see the 02 wings play even if they were a rival team. they're a part of hockey lore and legend at this point even if the team was a bunch of 40 year olds and a rookie datsyuk

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All of those teams are disqualified for the rampant cheating that led to their existences.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Cartoon Man posted:

So Sidney Crosby went head first into the boards last night and looked dazed standing up, but he kept right on playing. After the game, he was asked if he was evaluated for a concussion and he said something like, "Yes, I was, standard stuff." Pens coach was asked if Sidney was checked for a concussion and he said NO.

Big difference between playoff concussion and regular season concussion, duh

I'm sure he's :airquote:fine:airquote:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The thing is, the reason the NFL drew all the concussion poo poo is because A. it's by and large the most popular league in the US, and B. a string of high profile former player suicides involving the after affects. By comparison, the NHL is the 4th most popular league and only one player has died young with CTE, that being Boogaard.

Not to mention the owners don't give a flying gently caress about them as long as they get paid if a recent lawsuit is to (rightfully) believed.

You know what's the most sad part? The WWE to me feels like it treats concussions more seriously than the NHL. Professional wrestling. Let that sink in.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't know how I always forget how stacked the late 90s/early 2000s Redwings and Avalanche teams were.

For Colorado you have Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk, Tanguay, Drury, Bourque, Deadmarsh, Foote, with Roy in net. Then you take a look at Detroit and it's Yzerman, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Federov, Hull, Robitaille, Larionov, Chelios, Datsyuk, and Hasek.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Schlesische posted:

For real, the question of best team ever ever is between the ?76-77? Montreal Canadiens, one of those ridiculous mid-80s Oilers teams and the 01-02 Red Wings.

For the Oilers, I say it's the 83-84 squad. NHL team record for goals. Only 4 losses in the playoffs total, 3 of which were to a very game and motivated Flames team. 119 pts in the season standings. 3 players in the top 10 scoring. Win the Conn Smythe, Ross, Hart, Lester B.Pearson, and Clarence Campbell Trophy (they'd have won the President's Trophy but it wasn't a thing back then), and the Cup, natch. Oh, and Gretzky's 51 point scoring streak, and his 4th higest pt total. Coffey scores 40 goals, and is one of 4 40 goal scorers on the team, 3 of whom score more than 50. Glenn Anderson falls one point short of giving them 5 100 point guys.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 9, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't know how I always forget how stacked the late 90s/early 2000s Redwings and Avalanche teams were.

For Colorado you have Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk, Tanguay, Drury, Bourque, Deadmarsh, Foote, with Roy in net. Then you take a look at Detroit and it's Yzerman, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Federov, Hull, Robitaille, Larionov, Chelios, Datsyuk, and Hasek.

The 03/04 Avs casually added Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne for peanuts each just because they could (too bad they had David Aebischer in net). The pre salary cap days were pretty cool if you supported a team that could afford a $95M payroll, but sucked for everyone else.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

bewbies posted:

This is the point where it's semantics. You can't really compare through eras.
I don't think the 00-01 Avalanche team or the 01-02 Red Wings team beats the 76-77 Habs team if it was played like they played in the 70s. Likewise, I don't think some of those ridiculous mid-80s Oilers teams, that Isles dynasty or the Habs team beats either the '01 Avs or the '02 Wings if they play in '01 or '02.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 9, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Wings also had Larionov, who was pretty drat great in his own right, they had Holmstrom and the Grind Line, and Fischer/Olausson/Duschene who were all very solid on the back end that entire season/playoff.

That team was Very loving Good

ThinkTank posted:

The pre salary cap days were pretty cool if you supported a team that could afford a $95M payroll, but sucked for everyone else.

yeah :sigh:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Schlesische posted:

I don't think the 00-01 Avalanche team or the 01-02 Red Wings team beats the 76-77 Habs team if it was played like they played in the 70s. Likewise, I don't think some of those ridiculous mid-80s Oilers teams, that Isles dynasty or the Habs team beats either the 01 Avs or the 02 Wings if they play in 01 or 02.

Yeah if those 80's Oilers team have a glaring weakness it's that their goaltending is the shits. I think Grant Fuhr is the most overrated goalie ever, quite possibly.

To be fair, goaltending in the 80's in general sucked, there's a reason the Habs won 2 cups with Roy, his numbers may seem average by today's standards but back then he was considered elite. His #'s in Colorado even blow his Montreal #'s sky high.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 9, 2017

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

bewbies posted:

are we taking into account the 100% factual refereeing/bettman conspiracy? because if so they barely beat the Devils with it

(granted that was the best Devils team ever, so)

I think the 07-08 Red Wings were right there with the 02 or 90s teams. It seemed like they had the puck for entire games. That's still the best post lockout team.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Schlesische posted:

I don't think the 00-01 Avalanche team or the 01-02 Red Wings team beats the 76-77 Habs team if it was played like they played in the 70s. Likewise, I don't think some of those ridiculous mid-80s Oilers teams, that Isles dynasty or the Habs team beats either the 01 Avs or the 02 Wings if they play in 01 or 02.

counterpoint: Rob Blake hip checks semantics and it is out for the rest of the series with a bone bruise

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

ThinkTank posted:

The 03/04 Avs casually added Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne for peanuts each just because they could (too bad they had David Aebischer in net). The pre salary cap days were pretty cool if you supported a team that could afford a $95M payroll, but sucked for everyone else.

As a Rangers fan, I disagree.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

T-Bone posted:

I think the 07-08 Red Wings were right there with the 02 or 90s teams. It seemed like they had the puck for entire games. That's still the best post lockout team.

I also agree with this, for my money the Wings cup teams rank

'02
'07
'97
'98

e: and poo poo, the '08 team was better but they didn't win so gently caress em

If the '08 team wins the cup, they are possibly the greatest Wings team of all time, or at least first equal with '02

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 9, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

Could they defeat Alf Smith and the 1905 Ottawa Senators though? The lack of a forward pass would hamper them greatly.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Sergei Zubov was way better than Rob Blake and it's a crime he's not in the Hall NHL Playoffs 2017 thread

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

iospace posted:

The thing is, the reason the NFL drew all the concussion poo poo is because A. it's by and large the most popular league in the US, and B. a string of high profile former player suicides involving the after affects. By comparison, the NHL is the 4th most popular league and only one player has died young with CTE, that being Boogaard.

Wade Belak was a fairly high profile guy. I didn't even know that Montador had retired, much less died, until I'd read about it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah if those 80's Oilers team have a glaring weakness it's that their goaltending is the shits. I think Grant Fuhr is the most overrated goalie ever, quite possibly.

Grant Fuhr worked because the Oilers could always outscore the other team, no matter how many they gave up

bewbies posted:

The 01 Avalanche were not noticebly different than the 02 squad that lost to the Wings

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

T-Bone posted:

are we taking into account the 100% factual refereeing/bettman conspiracy? because if so they barely beat the Devils with it

Devils wouldn't play so well after game 1 when Stevens throws an ordinary-for-2000 check and gets himself kicked out of the league forever.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Respectfully, this is a thread for winners, and the Avalanche, Red Wings and Devils don't really belong rn.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Respectfully, this is a thread for winners, and the Avalanche, Red Wings and Devils don't really belong rn.

Says the Caps fan

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Apparently the concussion spotters don't have the power to take Crosby out of the game if his head hits the boards. According to the super strict rules they can only do it if his head hits a player or the ice. What a loving shitshow.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

flakeloaf posted:

Wade Belak was a fairly high profile guy. I didn't even know that Montador had retired, much less died, until I'd read about it.

See that's the problem in and of itself. NFL player dies while active/recently retired, gets mention in the national news.

NHL player? Who cares. So the owners (and by extension, their public mouthpiece in the form of Bettman) were able to sweep it under the rug longer. I also think the fact that boarding was a bigger concern during that time probably also helped that fact.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Devils won the draft lottery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Grant Fuhr worked because the Oilers could always outscore the other team, no matter how many they gave up

The 01 Avalanche were not noticebly different than the 02 squad that lost to the Wings

edit

• Locked thread