Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Collateral Damage posted:

I feel like there should have been a couple of red flags before they got married here.

Yeah, who the hell would marry a kiwi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
An emu or other flightless bird?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Yeah, who the hell would marry a kiwi?

I like to eat kiwi

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

I feel like there should have been a couple of red flags before they got married here.

like this?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

A Kiwi friend of mine has married her Chinese husband. She is mid-30s, got married last year. She has had some health issues but seems ok now. Hubby is around the same age and is the 2nd son. A musician (ex indie music scene) and I reckon he's slapped her around at least a couple of times (she had to stay at my place for a couple of nights soon after they got married because all of a sudden he realised he was married and the pressure of being a 'provider' (which he isn't, she supports him) got to him (I got wechat message messages saying he was going to throw all her belongings out of their 6 story apartment if she didn't contact him, usual passive aggressive Chinese emotional bullshit). They could not get married until the older brother had married. And they can't have kids until the older brother has a child first, despite my friend's advancing age (pretty sure she is now 38). I told her they should just go for it but she said nah, can't do it. The MIL would kill them and it would be a total loss of face for the older brother and his wife. How hosed up is that???

If she's mid-30s and the older brother hasn't had kids yet, he's probably hitting infertility. Good luck with that.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The hosed up thing isn't expecting he older brother to do Life Accomplishments first, the hosed up thing is (marrying a guy who completely allows his) parents to have the absolute authority about those decisions.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

WarpedNaba posted:

If she's mid-30s and the older brother hasn't had kids yet, he's probably hitting infertility. Good luck with that.

OTOH, that makes sure that these genes don't get propagated. A win for everyone. Ahhhh, nature.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

A Kiwi friend of mine has married her Chinese husband. She is mid-30s, got married last year. She has had some health issues but seems ok now. Hubby is around the same age and is the 2nd son. A musician (ex indie music scene) and I reckon he's slapped her around at least a couple of times (she had to stay at my place for a couple of nights soon after they got married because all of a sudden he realised he was married and the pressure of being a 'provider' (which he isn't, she supports him) got to him (I got wechat message messages saying he was going to throw all her belongings out of their 6 story apartment if she didn't contact him, usual passive aggressive Chinese emotional bullshit). They could not get married until the older brother had married. And they can't have kids until the older brother has a child first, despite my friend's advancing age (pretty sure she is now 38). I told her they should just go for it but she said nah, can't do it. The MIL would kill them and it would be a total loss of face for the older brother and his wife. How hosed up is that???

WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THEM

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
gently caress THAT MOTHER IN LAW AND gently caress THEIR FAMILY

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm so loving glad that my fiance's family is actually nice. Like all of them are nice.

And so is my mom. Sometimes I'm jealous of my mom giving me poo poo in front of my fiance but then maybe i do deserve it

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Obviously the family (parents are divorced and the father is rather absent) is still quite traditional. So birth order and consequently precedence is important. The first born son is supposed to be the most successful, in addition to being responsible for looking after the parents in their old age (as a foreign female if you want a hope of some independence over your life, do NOT marry a first born Chinese son) and he should reach all of life's milestones before his younger brother. This is the traditional way of doing things, and therefore shows you have a successful family, which is where the face comes in. Typing this it sounds crazy, but that is the way it goes.

One of my female students told me her father was the second son. Her uncle, the first born son, hadn't had children. So her grandmother told her father, the second son, to give his son (her brother) to his older brother. So the 2nd son dutifully handed over his son to his older brother who lived in a different province. Gender and birth order is extremely important in many families. This should give some insight into why sex selective abortion has been, and still is, such an issue.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I have plenty of friends who went through this stuff. One in Korea was in a relationship and going to get married but her older brother was single, so she was not permitted. She had to live at home with mom and dad and have a curfew and no life at all with her fiance, and her older brother was, surprise, gay! So marriage literally never going to happen, therefore she is having to wait until her parents are dead before she can leave the house.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Lol at knowing your friend is the victim of domestic abuse and consequently telling her she should totally 'go for' having a kid with said abuser.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

therefore she is having to wait until her parents are dead before she can leave the house.
Maybe she should help the process along.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I have plenty of friends who went through this stuff. One in Korea was in a relationship and going to get married but her older brother was single, so she was not permitted. She had to live at home with mom and dad and have a curfew and no life at all with her fiance, and her older brother was, surprise, gay! So marriage literally never going to happen, therefore she is having to wait until her parents are dead before she can leave the house.

She should take a page out of the /r/relationships thread and :murder: her parents

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Or just have her own life and tell her parents to deal with it but nobody ever listens to that.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Anyone wanna have a laugh?

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1045919.shtml

quote:

The Russian authorities need to unblock WeChat as soon as possible once the popular mobile communication tool, developed by Chinese Internet giant Tencent Holdings, meets the requirements of Russia's regulations for Internet management.

WeChat was blocked because of its failure to offer contact details for Russia's register of online service providers, according to media reports. Whether this is the case or not, the consequences of blocking WeChat are potentially very serious. The Russian authorities need to minimize the impact of the ban through proper explanations and more active communication.

The ban on WeChat follows the blocking of Blackberry Messenger and some other communication tools, triggering speculation that Moscow is pushing for greater control of the Internet. WeChat's case could serve as a warning for other popular applications including US-based Twitter and Facebook. It seems that Russia's investment environment for overseas Internet companies is deteriorating, resulting in a substantial weakening of Russia's ability to attract Internet-related investment amid a slower-than-expected economic recovery.

What's more, the blocking of WeChat has triggered wide complaints from Chinese tourists, students and businessmen in Russia, who see WeChat as an essential channel for connecting with people in China. The block is likely to cause a lot of confusion until people turn to new communication channels. We cannot rule out the possibility that trade, tourism and investment between China and Russia may suffer a blow as a result.

The Russian authorities should assess the negative impact of the block and be ready to strengthen communication and coordination with Tencent in a bid to ensure the ban is as short as possible.

Tencent should also properly handle relevant issues and strictly abide by Russia's official regulations on the Internet. It is neither the first time, and unlikely to be the last time that Chinese Internet-related companies encounter this kind of block as they expand their business overseas. More countries in the world are increasingly viewing the Internet as a political threat and are strengthening supervision, which deserves attention from Chinese companies.

Besides, the Internet sector is an emerging industry without international common practices for regulation, so each country may adopt a different system based on its own social context to manage Internet-related companies, setting up obstacles for Chinese companies in expanding their business.

Internet-related companies play a vanguard role in leading China's outbound direct investment, so China needs to learn how to handle issues relating to Internet control imposed by other countries.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Obviously the family (parents are divorced and the father is rather absent) is still quite traditional.

Divorce is a very modern convention :ironicat: What a modern mother :laffo:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

China getting butthurt that other countries are blocking their internet stuff is the greatest thing.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Actually, My grand father had a lot of kids and his brother had trouble conceiving even though he legally had 3 wives at the same time in Hong Kong. Polygamy was still legalized in Hong Kong until 1971, quite traditional! So my grand father gave one of his sons to my grand uncle for him to continue his blood line. Also very traditional.

Then turns out my grand uncle had another son afterwards and they grew up fine until recently they were fighting over the pittance of an inheritance.

The must wait until X has a child / X is married is the dumbest poo poo ever.

Like holy poo poo, pick and choose your traditions to uphold. I'm sure not being a loving rear end in a top hat to your kids and being responsible parents is the biggest grandfather clause of all cultural traditions and survival of human civilization.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

China getting butthurt that other countries are blocking their internet stuff is the greatest thing.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:suspense:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Yeah, kinda sucks when things you like/use a lot are blocked doesn't it?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

It's already been unblocked, I can use it again.

Edit: Nope not now, odd.

Still funny because it's ironic.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 9, 2017

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
https://my.mixtape.moe/eoslrl.mp4

starts slow but gets super good at 20 seconds

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ Da gently caress? How do you do that? How do you run into a massive, slow-moving truck like that? Dude must have been texting or something.

caberham posted:

Like holy poo poo, pick and choose your traditions to uphold. I'm sure not being a loving rear end in a top hat to your kids and being responsible parents is the biggest grandfather clause of all cultural traditions and survival of human civilization.

Chinese culture with regards to family is literally, "How can I make everyone else take care of me?" A selfless parent/grandparent or other relative is extremely rare from what I have seen.

My mother in law's mother died two weeks ago. She knew it was happening, and told my mother in law to go to Canada and take care of my wife who is pregnant, and to welcome her great-grandson into the world, because she knew she would never meet him. She was a selfless single mother, and 100% against the grain when it came to traditional elderly Chinese behaviour. My mother in law took care of her mom better than any of her other children, but her mother couldn't bear the thought of her daughter missing out on seeing her grandson being born.

My father in law's parents on the other hand have been feeling "unwell" (persistent on and off again colds), and told him not to go to see his grandson being born since he has to take care of them. My father in law is the second youngest of 4 boys, and his sister married a rich guy and is the favourite child. They don't care about my father in law seeing his grandson, and don't care if he has to wait 10 years for them to finally die before he can see him. All they care about is that their needs are being taken care of, and nobody else matters.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 9, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ur friends already dead sorry

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

LentThem posted:

When I used to teach at the new campus outside the city the bus would have to do a U-turn at the traffic lights just after getting off the highway to get to the gate. The road wasn't very wide so the bus didn't have enough room to turn if he stayed in the left lane like he should so he would pull over to the right and wait for the light to go red then do the U-turn. One day whilst doing this a guy on a motorbike came flying along lane splitting through the red light straight into the side of the giant easily visible bus and then tried to blame the bus driver.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
In Kyoto recently there have been a bunch of posters posted recently that depict a woman's laughing face on a backing of the Japanese e flag and say 「私、日本人でよかった」 or "I'm glad I'm (I was born as) Japanese".

There's been a bit of discussion on it on the internet and social media because of the nationalist and ethnocentrist implications, especially as it's not part of any other message; purely "I'm glad I'm of the Japanese race" with no other context. It makes some people uncomforta

But low and behold someone did some sleuthing, and the stock photo model used in the picture? Chinese.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tatsunoritokushige/poster?utm_term=.paLOYjwed#.ffvkb8PJ5

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Blistex posted:

/\ Da gently caress? How do you do that? How do you run into a massive, slow-moving truck like that? Dude must have been texting or something.

You can see how the tries to cut in front of the truck, but then realizes that he's too slow for that, but already too fast to brake. lol

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

JaucheCharly posted:

You can see how the tries to cut in front of the truck, but then realizes that he's too slow for that, but already too fast to brake. lol

Normally its the dump trucks that have issues with braking speed/space and end up running into things. It's refreshing to see the roles reversed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know this is an insane question to ask regarding china, but who had the right of way? The trucks turning left seemed to be cutting off people traveling on the main road.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

LentThem posted:

I'm the driver of the tube-carrying truck who looks straight at a man who is on fire and rolling on the ground and decides "nah gently caress this, I'm driving around it".

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Im the truck that immediately bursts into a giant ball of flames after a 10mph impact

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Baronjutter posted:

I know this is an insane question to ask regarding china, but who had the right of way? The trucks turning left seemed to be cutting off people traveling on the main road.

It seems be an issue with the road design (shocking, I know). I can't see any traffic lights anywhere in the frame, which leads me to believe there aren't any, which is crazy. With an intersection of that size and traffic the truck is facing the reality of "wait here for an hour until no traffic is passing either direction at this free market intersection, or just go at some point and make people wait."

He was probably technically in the wrong but that road design is insane and begging for accidents.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Oberleutnant posted:

Im the truck that immediately bursts into a giant ball of flames after a 10mph impact

he crashed right into the gas tank.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

It seems be an issue with the road design (shocking, I know). I can't see any traffic lights anywhere in the frame, which leads me to believe there aren't any, which is crazy. With an intersection of that size and traffic the truck is facing the reality of "wait here for an hour until no traffic is passing either direction at this free market intersection, or just go at some point and make people wait."

He was probably technically in the wrong but that road design is insane and begging for accidents.

outside of any major city that is the way the roads are, you just kind of do what this truck driver did, you slowly inch your way out over the course of about 45 seconds to a minute and then join traffic. hell, people do that in the big cities even when they aren't supposed to

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Judging by the video it looks pretty rural and once you leave the cities in China things like "traffic lights" and "electricity" go away pretty fast, so yeah it's safe to say there were no lights or anything directing traffic and drivers kind of do whatever.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Magna Kaser posted:

Judging by the video it looks pretty rural and once you leave the cities in China things like "traffic lights" and "electricity" go away pretty fast, so yeah it's safe to say there were no lights or anything directing traffic and drivers kind of do whatever.

It happened in Nanchang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

The hosed up thing isn't expecting he older brother to do Life Accomplishments first, the hosed up thing is (marrying a guy who completely allows his) parents to have the absolute authority about those decisions.

I wont derail with my own side story about asian mother in laws. But a common response i've seen to situations likes this is

"Its my/their cutlure. Who are you to judge it"

I do feel sorry for the lady though.

• Locked thread